• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT - Top Russian Cybercrimes Agent Arrested on Charges of Treason

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivajz

I mean, as others have pointed out. The time is suspect. Michael Flynn gets sworn in, then this guy gets arrested.

Shadybiz

Trump about to bust out a Mission Accomplished tweet. Case closed.

Yep.

"They got him; I knew Putin would catch the hacker, because he's very smart, tremendously smart; us smart people, we know how to get things done. Now, we will lift the sanctions on Russia, and begin drilling in the Arctic, bigly. Ivanka, bring me my lube, and let's talk about my amazing crowd size at the Inauguration, which was clearly much bigger than the black President's audience."

antonz

There is a whole web to this and yes Trumps people probably helped get someone caught if there is an innocent body in this all

In 2016 Arizona and Illinois caught attempts to breach their voter registration systems etc. The attacks were traced back to "King Servers" who is owned by Vladimir Fomenko a 26 year old in Siberia. "King Servers" contracted its servers through a Dutch ISP owned by Pavel Vrublevsky.

Pavel Vrublevsky accuses Sergei Mikhailov of fabricating the evidence that got him 2.5 years in Russian prison And many have long felt that Pavel was likely an Agent for the FSB at that point and had a show trial which seems more likely as he was let out of prison almost right away instead of serving time.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Why do people thing he's the fall guy for Russian hacking? Why does Russia need a fall guy?

Wouldn't it be more likely that he was arrested on treason for leaking possible details to the wrong people regarding Russia's hacking?

Pbae

There has to be a mole tipping The Russians off.

Or he was the mole tipping the West off and he might be the informant for the Michael Steele dossier.

Also the head of FSB's counter intelligence was sacked because he potentially let this all happen under his watch.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Why do people thing he's the fall guy for Russian hacking? Why does Russia need a fall guy?

Wouldn't it be more likely that he was arrested on treason for leaking possible details to the wrong people regarding Russia's hacking?

Because it happened publicly. Practically a press release. It was a message.

Pbae

Because it happened publicly. Practically a press release. It was a message.

No this happened in early December. It coincides very nicely with the dossier.

It's just now that the story is coming to light by the free Russian press.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's also possible that in Russia when you lead such an operation you have a responsibility to make sure nothing leaks. Doesn't mean he leaked it, but if anyone did then he becomes responsible and they charge him. Who knows really.

Pbae

True, but with news of Trump potentially having talks with Russia with regards to their sanctions being lifted it seems very plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom