• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama bans solitary confinement for juvenile prisoners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekdrm2d1

33656924.jpg

Monocle

Well, I am excited to see what the reincarceration rates look like in 10 years after this reform. Only the hard facts will tell us the truth.

Other than that, I don't place much faith in our prison systems to reform anyone beyond a tax evader.

lol
Wait, are you suggesting solitary confinement has some rehabilitative effect?

No I won't. You're making assumptions about me.
If you're a human it's a safe bet that solitary confinement will affect you the way it's documented to affect other people.

Solitary confinement (and just being antisocial) causes brain damage and neuropsychiatric symptoms very quickly, we are extraordinarily social animals. I didn't even realize this was a thing.

E92 M3

Wait, are you suggesting solitary confinement has some rehabilitative effect?

No suggesting it doesn't matter if there is solitary confinement or not for the long term. Our main goal is to bring down the reincarceration rates - those are the numbers I'm looking for.

He's just assuming you're human.

I don't think you really know the effects on the mind of being entirely alone for a year, in the same room.

Unless you've been in solidarity confinement. Real solitary confinement, you really can't answer that question.

I will not go into details about my life, but rest assured human interaction is not very important for my psychological well-being. I will survive fine being alone.

GhostBed

If you're a human it's a safe bet that solitary confinement will affect you the way it's documented to affect other people.

Nah bro, he's different, we shouldn't make assumptions. He knows the truth: solitary confinement isn't any worse than eating lunch alone.

I will not go into details about my life, but rest assured human interaction is not very important for my psychological well-being. I will survive fine being alone.

Yes it is.

I assume you like being alone. So do I. That doesn't mean you could live in the same tiny room with no interaction at all for an entire year.

You have windows. You can see the sun. You can hear birds. You're talking to people you know are humans on the internet. Maybe you have a pet you care for. You have more social and mental stimulation than you think. You don't understand how something as simple as a proper day/night cycle and being able to see the sun is important towards your health.

Mimosa97

People have provided you with links and I suggest you start doing some very needed reading on the subject.

Or try this experiment. Try to stay for a week locked in your room without leaving. No TV, No internet. Ask someone to bring your food on a tray 3 times a day. Then come back and tell us how it went just fine.

entremet

No suggesting it doesn't matter if there is solitary confinement or not for the long term. Our main goal is to bring down the reincarceration rates - those are the numbers I'm looking for.

OK, but you're a statistical anomaly.

It makes sense why you don't see solitary as cruel or unusual punishment.

However, that's why people research this stuff--for broad consensus to make sweeping recommendations, not for outliers like yourself.

Nah bro, he's different, we shouldn't make assumptions. He knows the truth: solitary confinement isn't any worse than eating lunch alone.

I'd believe it. There's nothing worse and more pitiful than eating lunch alone.

Except for solitary confinement that is. Maybe.

Izuna

Banned
=( i feel sick knowing that it was ever done

i just couldn't do it, i can't think of a crime worthy of such treatment. Worse than death penalty

E92 M3

Yes it is.

I assume you like being alone. So do I. That doesn't mean you could live in the same tiny room with no interaction at all for an entire year.

You have windows. You can see the sun. You can hear birds. You're talking to people you know are humans on the internet. Maybe you have a pet you care for. You have more social and mental stimulation than you think. You don't understand how something as simple as a proper day/night cycle and being able to see the sun is important towards your health.

True, that's why I must test my psychological limits one of these days lol.

People have provided you with links and I suggest you start doing some very needed reading on the subject.

Or try this experiment. Try to stay for a week locked in your room without leaving. No TV, No internet. Ask someone to bring your food on a tray 3 times a day. Then come back and tell us how it went just fine.

You know, I may try this experiment this year. Of course finding the time will be difficult, but worth the shot. Put the money where my mouth is at.

OK, but you're a statistical anomaly.

It makes sense why you don't see solitary as cruel or unusual punishment.

However, that's why people research this stuff--for broad consensus to make sweeping recommendations, not for outliers like yourself.

Basically, I am very apathetic towards 1st degree murder. The people that commit this crime are the ones I am talking about. I'm happy for everyone else.

entremet

You know, I may try this experiment this year. Of course finding the time will be difficult, but worth the shot. Put the money where my mouth is at.

Basically, I am very apathetic towards 1st degree murder. The people that commit this crime are the ones I am talking about. I'm happy for everyone else.

Well that's fine.

Life in prison then, but it should not be solidarity.

I'm not against the DP myself, but I think it should be banned because innocent people have been killed by it. Even 0.1 percent error rate is too much when talking about human lives.

Low social interaction is a lot different from absolutely 0 social interaction.

Good. It really does break a person's mind and becomes torture when completely isolated long enough. We are social creatures and were not designed to endure such things.

Doing something voluntarily is much different than being forced into it from a psychological perspective. It doesn't matter how much of an introvert you are, to try and compare that to torture is fucking stupid. It's like saying you don't eat much or are on a liquid diet and turn out fine so we should just starve prison inmates.

GhostBed

K, report back when you totally lose your mind after a week. You treat this like it's a game or an "experiment" for you to test your "mental limits" . You fail to see how incredibly damaging this actually is to the human psyche because "haha, i'm different, I have more mental willpower than those idiots, haha!". Like, this is some grade A delusional shit right here.

E92 M3

Well that's fine.

Life in prison then, but it should not be solidarity.

I'm not against the DP myself, but I think it should be banned because innocent people have been killed by it. Even 0.1 percent error rate is too much when talking about human lives.

I am strong believer in rather having 10 guilty men go free than 1 innocent person in jail, but that is another thread.

Low social interaction is a lot different from absolutely 0 social interaction.

I agree.

Doing something voluntarily is much different than being forced into it from a psychological perspective. It doesn't matter how much of an introvert you are, to try and compare that to torture is fucking stupid. It's like saying you don't eat much or are on a liquid diet and turn out fine so we should just starve prison inmates.

You're taking it a bit too far. While I am introverted and rather social in everyday life. It never felt as a necessity to me to interact with others. It's fun, but don't feel dependent on it.

Nonetheless, this argument is going in circles. I am generally apathetic towards those that commit murder and that won't change.

K, report back when you totally lose your mind after a week. You treat this like it's a game or an "experiment" for you to test your "mental limits" . You fail to see how incredibly damaging this actually is to the human psyche because "haha, i'm different, I have more mental willpower than those idiots, haha!". Like, this is some grade A delusional shit right here.

Life is one giant experiment and that's how we learn and forward our society. Also, you're just making stuff up about what I said.

Finally, I know it's damaging, and happy for everyone that isn't a murder.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm not against this ban, but simply apathetic.

John McCain was brutally tortured, physically.

He said his time in isolation was worse than that.

There is no human that goes into solitary confinement for an extended period of time and does not suffer some serious mental degradation. Social interaction is in some ways MORE important than many other things you consider 'needs.' Read this article for a primer on how serious a form a torture it is. Your lack of hope for murderers in the first degree is secondary to the long-term damage solitary does to society and the prison system by continuing this, fuck how comfortable any of us feel about it for a moment.

You're taking it a bit too far. While I am introverted and rather social in everyday life. It never felt as a necessity to me to interact with others. It's fun, but don't feel dependent on it.

Nonetheless, this argument is going in circles. I am generally apathetic towards those that commit murder and that won't change.

That's fine. Thankfully the president of the United States isn't as stubbornly and proudly uninformed.

besada

Banned
Excellent news. Let's let the internet tough guys have their delusions, rather than derailing the thread around them, thanks.

UrokeJoe

This is a good thing. It is about rehabilitation and the best hope is with younger people. They can change, or at least have the best chance.

Great news, I did a presentation on solitary awhile ago and I remember a psychologist describing it as an "incubator for psychosis".

Hopefully this will lead to more reforms in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom