• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Obama says he was 'encouraged' by conversation with Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump must be considering faking his own dead now. I'm sure they had a nice conversation, but Trump is not the real problem, the problem is everyone else he is surrounded with: Pence, the Senate, the House, they are not going to play nice at all

Real Hero

there something a bit sickening about Obama giving him the time of day after the shit he has said and done. I get it, professionalism but maaaaan being 'encouraged' by a rapey racist

Majine

Banned
I don't believe Trump himself thinks he can't do this. He's too stupid. He probably still think he will be the bestest president.

Neo C.

I know people love to read this situation in Obama's favor, so I hope you don't take this joke too far, otherwise you'll only get hurt.

Trump must be considering faking his own dead now. I'm sure they had a nice conversation, but Trump is not the real problem, the problem is everyone else he is surrounded with: Pence, the Senate, the House, they are not going to play nice at all

Yep.

All that happens if Trump backs out is that Pence takes over.

If Donald's incompetence isn't what ruins this country, it'll be Mike's maliciousness and complete disregard for human life.

LordKasual

Banned
I don't believe Trump himself thinks he can't do this. He's too stupid. He probably still think he will be the bestest president.

I highly doubt this.

And if he does, that shit will fly out the window immediately the moment they sit him down for that "talk".

xc4dc4i.jp

Trump has the what the fuck have I done look.

Obama has a yep, you're fucked look.

Steejee

While I still think this is going to be a disastrous 4 years (especially for the Climate), given how often Trump would basically say something a Democrat would normally say in the primaries I am very curious what sort of policies he actually pushes for.

GOP basically have a bit of a devil's bargain now - they'll get a bunch of things they want, but it could cost them far more than it was worth. Once you remove the boogeyman of the Democrats, the focus of all the scandals (real or imagined), slights, and failures end up squarely on you, and your ability to deflect blame vanishes in the wind.

How they handle killing the ACA, a law which is hugely beneficial to the very people that voted Trump in, will be telling.

Mesousa

Banned
The most devastating thing about this election is Obama having to do this.

Part of the reason I will be leaving this country.

He probably just doesn't want to send the public into an even more widespread panic.

I understand his need to represent stability in the nation and encourage trust in the political process, but all he is doing is helping to normalize bigotry and fascism. We're already seeing this happen in the press. Trump is not a normal politician. He's George Wallace in the 21st century. He's a danger to the country. We cannot normalize this.

Either they both need to go at the same time or Trump needs to hold on. I've got a feeling that Pence would end up being worse for minority rights.

If I was Obama, I'd spend the next year partying as much as possible.

All of the pictures that get taken? Send them to Trump.

I really think Trump is lost here, in that interview you can tell the weight of everything is really starting to hit him.

what a disaster.

the only good that come from this is if Trump just goes off script and Vetos shit the right tries to pass and just pretty much causes havoc for everyone.

Maybe this is that ninth dimension chess. The plan all along was to send the GOP into such disarray that the Democrats can swoop in a couple years later and capture super majorities in the Senate and House.
God help me. I wish I did coke so I had an excuse to come up with this delusional shit.

I really think Trump is lost here, in that interview you can tell the weight of everything is really starting to hit him.

what a disaster.

the only good that come from this is if Trump just goes off script and Vetos shit the right tries to pass and just pretty much causes havoc for everyone.

Ithil

Actually the only amusing thing about this body language and tone is that isn't this much of the reason Trump ran this time at all? So he would get to go up to Obama and say "Ha ha, I beat you" and Obama would have to hand over the office to him?

Seems like it didn't quite match up with his fantasy.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
If I was Obama, I'd spend the next year partying as much as possible.

All of the pictures that get taken? Send them to Trump.

Obama is smoking a whole pack of newports after he gets out. Then he should party a shit load. Even going to places Trump used to like going to.

Maybe the twist is that he'll be Obama's puppet now because Trump realized he has no idea what to do as president, but that guy does and he's not in the Bush's good graces.

Wild fantasies are how I can sleep at night

you gave me a good chuckle.... thank you

I truly believe (hope?) that the vast majority of Trump's rhetoric during the election was just to shoe-horn votes, but that at the end of the day, he is still at least socially liberal if fiscally conservative. I know who he picked as his VP, but I feel even throwing Pence on the ticket was just to get votes from Christians, not because Trump gives a single moment of care about what Pence wants.

Again, though, this is just my hope. I still don't like the guy, but am just trying to look for some shred of optimism in this whole mess.

Of course, if Trump kicks the bucket while in office, Pence will just screw up everything.

I'm with you bro. The sheer amount of flip-flopping in his life shows that he's really just a master manipulator and doesn't feel strongly about hardly anything. He'll just say what he needs to say to "get the deal done."

His son in law (and daughter too, by conversion) is in the group of people who are being targeted by the recent displays of racism. I can't see how he can continue to ignore that.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I understand his need to represent stability in the nation and encourage trust in the political process, but all he is doing is helping to normalize bigotry and fascism. We're already seeing this happen in the press. Trump is not a normal politician. He's George Wallace in the 21st century. He's a danger to the country. We cannot normalize this.
He'll definitely fight against that stuff later, but he has to take the high road publicly because he's the president. If he kicks and screams and rages like Trump does so often, that shows the rest of the country that it's okay to do that, and there will be even more chaos.

I mean, electing Trump already shows the country that it's okay to do the shit that he does, so that's kind of half moot at this point, but Obama still has to show that he won't stoop to the same level.

Bumhead

Banned

what a disaster.

It's the President of the United States.

How can anybody be prepared for that enough to not be affected by the weight of it?

Pence salivating. Donald, oh my god what have I done?

Trump just wants people to like him, he will stress about his favorabilitys.

Its going to be a wild ride. What a nightmare.

It's the President of the United States.

How can anybody be prepared for that enough to not be affected by the weight of it?

oh for sure. However a former governor, sec of state etc would be less effected

Air

Banned
Yeah, I really don't believe Trump wants this. He has absolutely no enthusiasm in his presence now. At least I can experience a little bit of schadenfreude before everything goes crazy

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This is a meaningless piece of breaking news.

I mean, obama being encouraged by a phone call could mean absolutely anything to anyone. And even if it was positive, unfortunately it doesn't make it some sort of standard for what the Republican led house, and senate and Trump in general will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom