• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Occupy Wall St - Occupy Everywhere, Occupy Together!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
I think I'm just going to ignore your posts on this subject from now on Manos. Going through most of them in this thread, it's pretty obvious what you're playing at. Make your point, when it's refuted or debated, Ignore this, highlight that, change the topic, change the goal posts, then go back to your original point. It's an annoying circular kind of discussion that's pointless tackling. Also explains your ludicrous number of posts in this thread, above all others.

I have to wonder if you have anything to gain from this, a particular strategy yourself (since you seem to be fond of them), or whether you just like stirring the pot. Hmmm...

Dude Abides

Banned
What did you get on the NY BAR exam?

Why would I remember my score on a pass-fail exam I took over seven years ago? No judges or law firms care what you scored on the bar. See, I strive for excellence, like a prestigious clerkship and a job at a top-flight firm. The kind of things people who think a B- is perfectly acceptable don't get.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
You pound it in enough it seeps in. Repeat something often enough people start to believe it.
Especially when they watch news they agree with.
I firmly believe the Republican talking points are losing their efficacy. They can't keep saying the same things year after year anymore when people aren't seeing any real progress in the economy, not after their 'huge victory' in the midterms. Their shameful antics in Congress will continue to undermine the party. They're woefully tone deaf and signs point to this trend continuing.

I firmly believe the Republican talking points are losing their efficacy. They can't keep saying the same things year after year anymore when people aren't seeing any real progress in the economy, not after their 'huge victory' in the midterms. Their shameful antics in Congress will continue to undermine the party. They're woefully tone deaf and signs point to this trend continuing.

I would agree here, but then they re-branded themselves under the TEA movement and found way too much traction. I was going to make further points but it was just more reiteration on what you said in bold.

Centurion

Banned
can we all pretend this manos fella speaks a foreign language that only he understands? How about just ignoring what he spews? It's always more fun when someone has only themselves to debate with.

Right, which was why you should have taken Corporations pass/fail rather than convince yourself that mediocrity is acceptable.
Yes heaven forbid people challenge themselves and risk getting a B. You seem like you need to constantly restate your grades to compensate for present failings with past achievements. Is everything alright?

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
..actually don't ignore Manos.. the meta-discussion is much more interesting than the actual topic at hand.. which is fading faster than a fart in the wind..

Dude Abides

Banned
Yes heaven forbid people challenge themselves and risk getting a B. You seem like you need to constantly restate your grades to compensate for present failings with past achievements. Is everything alright?

Sounds like you didn't challenge yourself at all. Or you overestimated your abilities. Probably the latter.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
1 of many things wrong with OWS...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5ROsEO1BMQ

Watch these idiots, surrounded and un-supported by their fellow 99% and then LITTERED all over the entry way on their way out.

Way to go fuckwits, the only people that will help further your cause is those who are already in it.. normal people see nothing but a bunch of idiots laughing about what they are doing.

I'm glad someone finally arrested some of them according to their notes.

Hehe, too good:

Dead Movement Walking: Top Six Signs the Left And Mainstream Media Have Hung Occupy Out to Dry

Let’s back up a little bit before we get to the list…

A few weeks ago in Denver I had the opportunity for some up close and personal time with the Occupy movement, and what I saw was about what you would expect. These are marginal and marginally intelligent people who have grown up conditioned by public educators and the welfare state to believe that they’re something special and entitled to the good life just because they’re special and entitled to the good life. And they’ve also been brainwashed to believe that if America doesn’t acknowledge their specialness and if, indeed, they’re not enjoying the good life, the problem must be a corrupt America.

Occupy is all about greed, self-actualization, and narcissism. The fastest and easiest way to feel superior is to assume the role of a victim … because a victim is always superior to his or her oppressors.

Occupy is also an army the left and Alinksy-style community organizers like Barack Obama have been breeding for decades. The formula is simple: feed enough self-esteem to those who don’t deserve it and you create an entire generation of entitled crybabies desperate to direct the frustration of their unfulfilled lives at whomever.

The left thought they had found the right moment to launch their Army of the Frustrated. With Obama’s poll numbers in the tank and the crippled economy unable to leap on a white stallion to save him, the idea was to launch Occupy in the hopes it would change the 2012 election conversation and media narrative from Obama’s failed record to ground upon which he might be able to win reelection: income inequality and those evil one-percenters on Wall Street who destroyed the economy.

And so the filthy, frustrated, and brain-fried, under the direction of their Adbuster Masters (more about this below), took to the streets, and for a few weeks the plan went perfectly. High-profile Democrats, including President Obama, endorsed and encouraged them, while the corrupt MSM worked overtime to cover up the movement’s hundreds of subhuman misdeeds (literally) and held it up as an example of all that is pure and righteous in America.

But then something happened the left and their media allies didn’t expect. They had woefully underestimated the power of New Media to expose the truth, and expose the truth we did, until the Occupy dream all came crashing down in an overwhelming narrative (overwhelming because it was true) involving Occupy’s frightening tolerance for rape, violence, vandalism, and public masturbation and defecation.

Occupy Wall Street was a pretty important pre-season game leading up to the 2012 election, and Obama and his Media Palace Guards haven’t even started licking their wounds from the New Media ass kicking they took. And the bad news for Occupiers is that they’re now scampering off the field, tail tucked between their legs, and desperate to untie themselves from the political liability these Occupiers have become.

If you don’t believe me, Occupy, here are six undeniable signs that the same media and leftist elites who promised you air cover in the revolution that would finally fulfill your frustrated dreams have just left you swinging in the wind, fully exposed and more than a little humiliated with nowhere to go:

1. MSM Is No Longer Infatuated With Occupy: Other than the big stories surrounding Occupy evictions, the mainstream media’s all but stopped covering the Occupy movement. 12 to 14 hours a day the cable nets are on in my office, and even leftist CNN and far-left MSNBC have ceased trying to use the Occupiers as a way to jump-start Obama-friendly narratives about taxing the rich and how Wall Street is to blame for Obama’s failed economy.

No more on-the-street profiles of earnest young Occupy faces just looking to make the world a more fair and equal place.

And I can pinpoint the day this occurred. The day after GOP presidential front-runner Newt Gingrich suggested Occupy take a bath and get a job, both CNN and MSNBC went apoplectic in the hopes this “ugly” statement would backfire on the Speaker. When just the opposite happened, that was pretty much all the proof the left-wing media needed that Occupy was hurting the left, not helping.

2. Jon Stewart Guts Occupy: On November 17, “The Daily Show” took the “cool” out of Occupy with a devastating report (see above) that exposed the movement for the Orwellian Animal Farm these kinds of movements always become (which of course was Orwell’s point). No one in media understood better how useful this movement could’ve been to Barack Obama than Jon Stewart, but he’s also smart enough to know when it’s time to fire off a flare warning Obama to stay away — and that’s exactly what this segment was meant to do, and did.

3. AP Pretends Democrats Never Supported Occupy: On November 18, the Associated Press laughably and transparently attempted to memory-hole the Democrats’ very public and energetic embrace of all things Occupy.

Gee, I wonder why?

4. Slate Freaks Over Ad Connecting High-Profile Democrat To Occupy: Slate’s Libby Copeland was so panicked over a political ad that truthfully and effectively laid out Elizabeth Warren’s once-proud connection to the Occupy movement that she made a public fool of herself labeling the ad as “sexist.”

That’s desperate. And more than a little funny.

5. New Yorker Bares Occupy’s Astro-turf For the World To See: Even though Big Government exposed all of this over a month ago, the fact that the New Yorker would, in a major feature piece, finally put to bed the lie that Occupy was just some sort of organic, grassroots organization like the Tea Party, is the final nail in the movement’s coffin.

After all, someone has to take the blame for this.

6. Liberal Cities Evict Occupy: Mayors of some of the most liberal cities in America (Oakland, Los Angeles, Chicago, New York, Philadelphia) are playing Bull Connor to all those wonderful little hippies who only want “social justice.” Furthermore, in their latest reports, the MSM has even stopped trying to make the cops look bad during these evictions. The coverage can best be described as obligatory.

Democratic mayors of big, urban liberal cities don’t evict popular movements, do they? They wouldn’t even evict a movement popular with the Obama’s base.
http://bigjournalism.com/jjmnolte/2011/12/01/dead-movement-walking-top-six-signs-the-left-and-the-msm-have-hung-occupy-out-to-dry/

CHEEZMO™;33116804 said:
In my mind it paints a picture of some right wing nut who get's their news from crazy blogs and the like.

I don't even care if that's fair or not - anyone who uses those terms is immediately discredited in my eyes.

Same, it's a giveaway word, same with banksters (which can be left or libertarian).

CHEEZMO™;33116414 said:
"Mainstream media" and the accompanying acronym is so bloody annoying.
To be fair the Occupy movement rails against the MSM just as much as right-wingers do. Occupiers think the MSM is ignoring them, and conservatives think it's paying too much attention to them.

nib95

Banned
Manos' justification for criminals and fraudsters who abuse the system and people for billions on a global scale of corrupt proportions.

At least they have the decency not to shit all over the streets. They also tend to produce useful things, even if they are scum, at least something productive comes from them.

Winner.

Anyway, I get the feeling some more sanity will be ushered in to this thread following his departure.

Also, this article from the other thread is great. Deals with a lot of the myths and misinformation surrounding the Occupy movement.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1789018/occupy-wall-street-demographics-statistics

A few important quotes.

Just 13.1% are unemployed--not a whole lot more than the national average.

One-third of respondents is older than 35, and one-fifth is 45 or older.

Do you really believe any of the points this article is making? The whole thing is bizarre. It seems to be lost on the writer that the Occupy movement has always been a huge threat to the pro-corporate Democrat party and the corporate owned "MSM". Why would it be shocking that they 'abandoned the movement' (setting aside the demonstrable fact that they never supported it)?

You posted that ironically, right? As in you're presenting it for us to mock, right?

Anyone seriously linking anything by Andrew Breitbart is a toad and as intellectually deficient as they come. The guy is a complete and total fraud, and has shown himself to be more than willing to destroy innocent lives through deception simply to score political points like what he did to Shirley Sherrod and the dismissive, unrepentant things he said about that situation after the fiasco.

And all of his websites are complete and total jokes for the exact same reasons Conservapedia is.

Nope, not ironic at all. I am tired of these entitled losers. And you know what? I am NOT rich or in the "1%", lol...

Anyone seriously linking anything by Andrew Breitbart is a toad and as intellectually deficient as they come.
Typical left wing attack against something one doesn't agree with.

And remember this kids (GAF is mostly a site for teens, so this is not sarcasm at your expense): Canadians elected a Conservative government, so there are Canadians who are conservatives...

Nope, not ironic at all. I am tired of these entitled losers. And you know what? I am NOT rich or in the "1%", lol...

And remember this kids (GAF is mostly a site for teens, so this is not sarcasm at your expense): Canadians elected a Conservative government, so there are Canadians who are conservatives...

Typical willful ignorance. That wasn't the only sentence in my post.

alstein

The real issue is probably younger Canadians don't vote in bloc. It's largely an age thing in the US as well- younger liberals vs older conservatives, each voting in their economic interests.

People need to shame young folks who don't vote.

Breitbart is like Diet Rush Limbaugh Lite. I guess he's appropriate for Canadian conservatism.
You are probably right: some things Limbaugh has said over the years have left me uncomfortable, yet Breitbart (and Mark Steyn and David Horowitz and Ezra Levant, etc.) I think pretty much it the nail on the head every time I hear them speak. But your MMV, obviously.

As for Occupiers and all whiners alike, it's just that I chose to blame myself first for my failures and shortcomings in life. Younger, I too was pointing fingers and blaming other people left and right, but that's just counterproductive (though, admittedly, easier on the ego).

You are probably right: some things Limbaugh has said over the years have left me uncomfortable, yet Breitbart (and Mark Steyn and David Horowitz, etc.) I think pretty much it the nail on the head every time I hear them speak. But your MMV, obviously.

As for Occupiers and all whiners alike, it's just that I chose to blame myself first for my failures and shortcomings in life. Younger, I too was pointing fingers and blaming other people left and right for my failures, but that's just counterproductive (though easier on the ego).

I'm surprised you think Rush Limbaugh makes you a bit uncomfortable, but releasing a deceptively edited video that drastically misrepresents someone's statements and ending up costing her job while never admitting any wrong doing on your part doesn't.

I'm surprised you think Rush Limbaugh makes you a bit uncomfortable, but releasing a deceptively edited video that drastically misrepresents someone's statements and ending up costing her job while never admitting any wrong doing on your part doesn't.
I'm obviously not aware of all the minutiae regarding the American political scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom