• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Diversity Program Members “Shocked And Dismayed” By Founder’s Alt-Right Ties

Lady Gaia

Do you think that's really true?
That it was 'Palmer's choice'?

Probably. I expect they outlined the available choices and the likely repercussions of each one. If not Facebook / Oculus then perhaps Luckey's lawyer did so. Showing up and causing a disruption at the conference would make it a lot easier to make a case for dismissal because his actions would have had clear business impact.

Briarios

As long as he's the face of Oculus and associated with them -- it's dead to me. I just can't abide the company's silence.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Business Insider did a piece about Palmer's absence at Connect as well:

http://www.businessinsider.com/oculus-connect-3-palmer-luckey-no-show-2016-10

Oculus content head Jason Rubin said that Luckey voluntarily skipped the event altogether, because he "did not want to be a distraction." Rubin added that Luckey is still an employee at Oculus.

It's unfortunate how willingly Oculus is to keep Palmer as part of their team and future. They clearly have no problem being associated with white supremacists. I'll never give this company a single penny.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
New Gizmodo article about Palmer today.

Journalist asks people leaving the Oculus "Diversity Lunch" whether or not Palmer was mentioned. Got shut down by an Oculus PR consultant:

http://gizmodo.com/is-facebook-disappearing-oculus-founder-palmer-luckey-1787705084

"Inside the lunch, several attendees told me, Oculus employees spoke to developers who were planning to leave the platform because of Luckey, and tried to get them to stay. When one answered that they wished Oculus would, at worst, make a statement acknowledging the situation and, at best, have Palmer no longer be involved with Oculus, a representative told the developer that neither of those things was going to happen."

The article doesn't paint Oculus as a very "diverse and welcoming" environment.

Mahonay

Banned
New Gizmodo article about Palmer today.

Journalist asks people leaving the Oculus "Diversity Lunch" whether or not Palmer was mentioned. Got shut down by an Oculus PR consultant:

http://gizmodo.com/is-facebook-disappearing-oculus-founder-palmer-luckey-1787705084

"Inside the lunch, several attendees told me, Oculus employees spoke to developers who were planning to leave the platform because of Luckey, and tried to get them to stay. When one answered that they wished Oculus would, at worst, make a statement acknowledging the situation and, at best, have Palmer no longer be involved with Oculus, a representative told the developer that neither of those things was going to happen."

The article doesn't paint Oculus as a very "diverse and welcoming" environment.
Wow. Fuck Oculus.

Gross.

Also this is sort of crazy:

While asking another lunch attendee to speak with me, a woman I didn’t know pulled me aside, holding my business card. She said that if I continued to approach people leaving the event, I would be kicked out. When I asked if she worked at Oculus or for Oculus PR, she refused to tell me and went back into the lunch. I later found out that her name was Paula Cuneo, and that she’d worked at Oculus doing strategic marketing for the past three years.

Journalists apparently aren't allowed to ask questions any more.

Good job, marketing woman. Really solidifying the inviting brand of Oculus.

Aside from that outburst, I suppose the strategy continues to be pretending nothing bad happened and burying this with silence until people forget.
I don't know if it's petty or not, but whenever I see Carmack retweeting Oculus stuff, I feel compelled to remind Oculus' poor twitter handler that I haven't forgotten.
In September, The Daily Beast exposed Luckey’s apparent involvement in a pro-Trump, anti-Clinton political organization called Nimble America, which has the stated mission of proving that “shitposting is powerful and meme magic is real.”
Kind of missing the whole white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt connection there.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Good job, marketing woman. Really solidifying the inviting brand of Oculus.

Aside from that outburst, I suppose the strategy continues to be pretending nothing bad happened and burying this with silence until people forget.

Don't forget intimidating any journalist that asks a question about it.

Top Bottom