• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus holds "diversity luncheon;" refuses to address Luckey questions. CEO needs mom

Tubobutts

Boycott efforts to hurt a company imply it will affect employees. Cause and effect and all that.
Why is it the responsibility of the consumers to protect innocent employees and not that of the company's?

If people refuse to support Oculus because they still employ Luckey why is it on the consumer to make sure their boycott doesn't affect others at the company?

Shaanyboi

Banned
Boycott efforts to hurt a company imply it will affect employees. Cause and effect and all that.

Shield your racist founder, and that's the burden you take with it.

What kind of argument is this? "What, you're buying Pepsi? Don't you care about the employees of Coca-Cola?"

VillageBC

Shield your racist founder, and that's the burden you take with it.

What kind of argument is this? "What, you're buying Pepsi? Don't you care about the employees of Coca-Cola?"

The slight difference in one your changing behavior with the intent to hurt one company and the other you just want to drink the inferior Pepsi.

Shaanyboi

Banned
The slight difference in one your changing behavior with the intent to hurt one company and the other you just want to drink the inferior Pepsi.

People can get their VR solution elsewhere, or at a later time when it becomes a more accessible consumer product. The "change in behavior" is people not liking a company refusing to make a statement on their racist founder, refusing to condemn his actions, and threatening to remove people who ask about him.

But go ahead, keep being willfully obtuse about this.

Krejlooc

Banned

There are plenty of reasons to not support Oculus beyond Palmer Luckey being a shithead. Oculus doesn't have the best interest of its customers or VR at heart.

VillageBC

We're now past effecting the employees of this company. Maybe you can see the bigger picture/perspective if you look hard enough.

Eh, I just get sick of the echo chambers that exist everywhere these days and no room for non-conforming opinions.

Supporting the alt-right will affect more people in the long run.

Seriously. Far more people are affected by the continued support/enabling of this alt-right movement than a few hundred employees.

VillageBC, are you against boycotting of any company period since it affects employees?

We're now past effecting the employees of this company. Maybe you can see the bigger picture/perspective if you look hard enough.

Is that the right thing? I mean this thread is about a Gawker employee who was harassing people at a diversity luncheon, trying to find there real names to shame them online with quotes

*edit changed it back after quoted

Krejlooc

Banned
Is that the right thing? I mean this thread is about a Gawker employee who was harassing people at a diversity luncheon, trying to find there real names to shame them online with quotes

You think the Gawker employee is the one who was in the wrong here?

VillageBC

Seriously. Far more people are affected by the continued support/enabling of this alt-right movement than a few hundred employees.

VillageBC, are you against boycotting of any company period since it affects employees?

Nah, I think it's the only tool we real have to force behavior changes we find abhorrent. I just wish we had a scalpel than a hammer. I don't really intend to buy Samsung phones any time soon. =)

Shaanyboi

Banned

A) They're a reporter. They're supposed to ask questions.

B) They were invited. To a "diversity luncheon" when the founder of the company has made donations indicating he's very much against diversity.

C) Oculus still has done and said nothing to condemn Luckey's actions, and haven't responded to reporters openly about the situation. Are people supposed to ignore this opportunity to ask what the fuck is going on?

A) They're a reporter. They're supposed to ask questions.

B) They were invited. To a "diversity luncheon" when the founder of the company has made donations indicating he's very much against diversity.

C) Oculus still has done and said nothing to condemn Luckey's actions, and haven't responded to reporters openly about the situation. Are people supposed to ignore this opportunity to ask what the fuck is going on?

First quote totally disagrees with that, they were not invited and they selectively picked 1 event from the conference to stir the pot.

Among the events at the conference was an unadvertised, invite-only, “diversity luncheon” that was closed to the press. Invites were sent to various employees on Oculus’ staff, as well as participants from Oculus’ “launch pad” program, which is essentially an incubator for virtual reality creators from diverse backgrounds.

It's a happy ending! Brendan Iribe finally found his mom:

iribebreakfast_09102014_1304-consoli.jpg

Shaanyboi

Banned
First quote totally disagrees with that, they were not invited and they selectively picked 1 event from the conference to stir the pot.

My bad. And yet I fail to see the issue with a reporter with asking people questions as they leave an event. Where is the line here for 'harassment'?

Zuckerberg is really liberal isn't he? Didn't he even have FB prioritize left-wing news over right-wing? Why would he want someone like this in his company? It seems really weird. Is Luckey absolutely critical to Occulus?

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Oculus will never get a cent from me as long as they employ Palmer. And honestly, for how poorly they've handled this, they'll likely never get a cent even if they were to distance themselves now. They really did a terrible job with this. I'm glad it's not going away.

Your logic makes no sense. Under your thinking boycotting should never exist because pretty much any product or company has at least some decent people behind it or in it.

People can boycott a company and still care about the welfare of their employees. The point of a boycott is that at some point the balance shifts to where it costs the company more to keep the cancer than to cut it out and appease the customers.

It's not like a company would just let itself go out of business from a boycott without acting to rectify the problem people have with the company.

Abounder

Banned
Zuckerberg is really liberal isn't he? Didn't he even have FB prioritize left-wing news over right-wing? Why would he want someone like this in his company? It seems really weird. Is Luckey absolutely critical to Occulus?

Indeed, but even board member Peter Thiel spoke at the Republican National Convention. Facebook distances away from such actions but employees are free to do what they do. Can't believe Luckey is the face of VR thanks to the TIME cover, yeesh

Diversity of political thought is clearly not allowed in the gaming world.

I'm starting to understand.

He's free to think what he wants we're free to think "hey fuck this guy and the product that he's the face for."

I think you've got a long ways to go before you understand anything.

Diversity of political thought is clearly not allowed in the gaming world.

I'm starting to understand.

Also you're crazy if you think anyone in their right mind is labeling the shitty alt-right group's beliefs as "political". They couldn't give two shits about things like foreign policy, energy concerns, healthcare issues and the economy. It's all racism and misogyny. Even Trump isn't dumb enough to call his own racist and misogynistic thoughts his "politics" in public.

ghibli99

Glad PSVR is here so that I don't have to give two shits about the Rift. Sad too, since I was really excited about it earlier this year. :(

*edit changed it back after quoted

I think you mean Univision employee?

But yes, he was doing his job.

Big-E

Does Palmer have dirt on everyone at Facebook and Oculus? It is the only reason I can see why he is still around. VRs current success probably has nothing to really do with Palmer.

Big-E

Maybe they don't want to fire someone based on their personal beliefs.

He is hurting the brand right now. Is Palmer really critical to Oculus' future success? Vive and PSVR seem to be doing OK without having Palmer and I am willing to bet my life that someone like Carmack and other engineers at Oculus are more valuable to VR going forward than Palmer.

I think anyone who is half decent would boycott Oculus Rift until this clown is removed. By buying OR, you are supporting Palmer Luckey no matter how you spin it.

I think anyone who is half decent would boycott Oculus Rift until this clown is removed. By buying OR, you are supporting Palmer Luckey no matter how you spin it.

I stayed at a Trump Hotel once when I was going to take the bar exam in Atlantic City, NJ. Does that mean I support Donald Trump? I don't buy your argument, not that I have any interest in Oculus.

Krejlooc

Banned
I stayed at a Trump Hotel once when I was going to take the bar exam in Atlantic City, NJ. Does that mean I support Donald Trump? I don't buy your argument, not that I have any interest in Oculus.

Quite literally, yes. Of course, the obvious difference here is that having a place to lodge was a necessity for you, particularly given the ties to your career, where supporting Oculus is a luxury purchase for most.

Top Bottom