• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

I said I was going to sell my rift and give the proceeds to the HR Clinton campaign if Oculus didn't get rid of Palmer.

Hopefully I get at least a few bids.

About that bidder...

0ZYNfvZ.png

j/k Would be funny to see and all that money go to the opposition

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That Milo fat shame tweet infuriates me.

That guy he's making fun of for being fat (who is probably a decent human being, unlike Milo) is making an effort to improve his life by exercising and attempting to lose his excess weight, and this Twitter prick is still making fun of him AS HE'S TRYING TO FIX THE PROBLEM HE'S BEING CRITICIZED FOR HAVING. When a seriously overweight person makes a genuine effort to become healthier, they should be applauded for taking that initiative and encouraged to stick with it long-term.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I just really wanted to type that all out.

Yes. This is the last post I read. Have to step out this thread for a minute. I literally want to smack the shit out this Milo prick.

I miss the days of being naive and ignorant to ppls views, opinions, etc. Reading thru this thread I forget this is a gaming forum.

Thread is huuuge now. Want to read it in its entirety. I like others wont put ppl on ignore lists. Malcolm X once said something about the fox and the wolf.* And I agree 100%.

I wanna know who the wolves are, so keep making it easy to see you. The fox is the dangerous one. So we should be glad that Trump is so open about his views, it brings others that think like him out the woodwork and that fox mask falls off, showing the wolf underneath it.

**Dont look at this from a political POV, but from an awareness POV.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Palmer made a FB post:

He either lied in his apology or he lied to the reporter. Outside out of that, he thought "shitposting" racists were a fresh take on how to engage with young voters? Lowering discourse is not a good way for anyone to engage.

Yes. This is the last post I read. Have to step out this thread for a minute. I literally want to smack the shit out this Milo prick.

I miss the days of being naive and ignorant to ppls views, opinions, etc. Reading thru this thread I forget this is a gaming forum.

Thread is huuuge now. Want to read it in its entirety. I like others wont put ppl on ignore lists. Malcolm X once said something about the fox and the wolf.* And I agree 100%.

I wanna know who the wolves are, so keep making it easy to see you. The fox is the dangerous one. So we should be glad that Trump is so open about his views, it brings others that think like him out the woodwork and that fox mask falls off, showing the wolf underneath it.

**Dont look at this from a political POV, but from an awareness POV.

Agree strongly.

Krejlooc

Banned
He either lied in his apology or he lied to the reporter. Outside out of that, he thought "shitposting" racists were a fresh take on how to engage with young voters? Lowering discourse is not a good way for anyone to engage.

That's honestly one of the most mindblowing things about the entire situation. The use of the term "shitposting" was actively described by the benefactor. I'm reading articles on CNN talking about professional shitposting.

Shitposting isn't fresh. That stuff has been played out for years now.

Nanashrew

Banned
So there's an image going around that there was a so called attack on his girlfriend and I'm among the list in a Twitter search. My post is an observation without @ ing that she seemed to be deleting all of her racist tweets aimed at blacks and muslims. In fact every person in the search is making an observation that she deleted her account, many learning after her account was deleted and could no way be an attacker.

This seems like all the evidence they have to support that there was some kind of harassment campaign against her. Which is basically nothing. It's a typical DARVO tactic, but to them I am, as with everyone else who may have talked about her in any significance, are now considered a "harasser" by the alt-right and GGers.

So yeah, if anyone remembers that discussion earlier in this thread that there may have been harassers, seems less and less likely and more and more likely she was just deleting her racist tweets to not incriminate her boyfriend because it was the talk of the town, because it became clear that Luckey holds similar core views to even stay in that relationship with her but realizing there was so much racist stuff on her account she nuked her account instead.

Mahonay

Banned
So there's an image going around that there was a so called attack on his girlfriend and I'm among the list in a Twitter search. My post is an observation without @ ing that she seemed to be deleting all of her racist tweets aimed at blacks and muslims. In fact every person in the search is making an observation that she deleted her account, many learning after her account was deleted and could no way be an attacker.

This seems like all the evidence they have to support that there was some kind of harassment campaign against her. Which is basically nothing. It's a typical DARVO tactic, but to them I am, as with everyone else who may have talked about her in any significance, are now considered a "harasser" by the alt-right and GGers.

So yeah, if anyone remembers that discussion earlier in this thread that there may have been harassers, seems less and less likely and more and more likely she was just deleting her racist tweets to not incriminate her boyfriend because it was the talk of the town, because it became clear that Luckey holds similar core views to even stay in that relationship with her but realizing there was so much racist stuff on her account she nuked her account instead.
I mean yeah this is 100 percent the case. We were reading her fucked up Tweets here before the account was nuked and some were screen capped by people here.

Krejlooc

Banned

The floating idea that Palmer was feigning support for the alt-right to appease his girlfriend is flat-out lunacy and really makes me question the poster's intelligence when they resort to it. Read the posts authored by Luckey and they reveal a guy who thinks he's cracked a social glass ceiling and has now become a member of the elite. He thinks he's a better class of people now.

You think that guy would do stuff that most reasonable people would find abhorrent to stick with someone if he thinks he is better than everyone else?

Nanashrew

Banned
I mean yeah this is 100 percent the case. We were reading her fucked up Tweets here before the account was nuked and some were screen capped by people here.

Yeah, I know. It's just good to have more clarification on the issue. The images going around means nothing.

The floating idea that Palmer was feigning support for the alt-right to appease his girlfriend is flat-out lunacy and really makes me question the poster's intelligence when they resort to it. Read the posts authored by Luckey and they reveal a guy who thinks he's cracked a social glass ceiling and has now become a member of the elite. He thinks he's a better class of people now.

You think that guy would do stuff that most reasonable people would find abhorrent to stick with someone if he thinks he is better than everyone else?

Oh I agree. There's no way he was just doing it to appease his girlfriend and I never once believed that. To be in a relationship with an extremely racist person like that means he clearly shares some core views and beliefs. Her feed was full of propaganda and Gamergate stuff as well too. He was definitely into everything she was saying as proved by even one retweet about muslims with the comic "this is fine."

Eylos

Banned
Yeah, I know. It's just good to have more clarification on the issue. The images going around means nothing.

Oh I agree. There's no way he was just doing it to appease his girlfriend and I never once believed that. To be in a relationship with an extremely racist person like that means he clearly shares some core views and beliefs. Her feed was full of propaganda and Gamergate stuff as well too. He was definitely into everything she was saying as proved by even one retweet about muslims with the comic "this is fine."

Yeah i agree with you

Mahonay

Banned
You're right. Just hadn't seen anyone trying to talk like an "alpha-male" cartoon villain in that way, with such sincerity, before. Removed the quoted image at least.
Yeah, the guy is clearly a sociopath that gets off on getting attention purely for being borderline evil.

lazypants

So is the Donald subreddit actually supportive of trump, or are they just trolling. The way the mimick trump makes it seem like they are parodying him most of the time, or trying to get a rise out of people, you know classic trolling. Never 2would have guessed they were legit.

Krejlooc

Banned
So is the Donald subreddit actually supportive of trump, or are they just trolling. The way the mimick trump makes it seem like they are parodying him most of the time, or trying to get a rise out of people, you know classic trolling. Never 2would have guessed they were legit.

actively supportive.

I think it started as a circlejerk making fun of him and after a couple weeks became sincere support (though still a circlejerk).

Mahonay

Banned
Actual Donald support disguised as memes. That's the purpose of the whole thing.

Eylos

Banned
The thing that's real sad in all that, is that White supremacists/nazi supporters are growing world wide and this case is just an example :(

Mahonay

Banned
The thing that's real sad in all that, is that White supremacists/nazi supporters are growing world wide and this case is just an example :(
It's more that bigots are feeling emboldened with the rise of Trump, when before they kept their hate under the radar.

Elios83

Oculus has rallied behind him. I don't see him getting fired at the moment.

"At the moment" is the key word, in the best case after this he won't get any more public exposure and he will be replaced by someone else as the public face. Worst case he will be fired. Likely outcome: he'll decide to leave after a lot of internal pressures. He fucked up big time with this and when you work for a big company that sees its image damaged because of you, we all know how it's going to end...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's more that bigots are feeling emboldened with the rise of Trump, when before they kept their hate under the radar.

Bingo.

I like it. Some showed themselves under Obama. This is just a continuation of that.

dapoktan

people need to focus.. The problem here isnt that Luckey supports Trump (Gary Johnson? lol) That is the right of any American to support and vote for anyone they choose.

The problem is funding and supporting an organization and tactic that tries to manipulate social discourse by mass posting of hateful speech.

If Luckey came out in a post in reddit or fb and said he was a Trump supporter and explained his reasoning why he didnt like Hillary, I would say sure I disagree, but I respect that.

But to do this behind the scenes and try get his hand into media manipulation is just gross.

At the end of the day, Luckey may lose some connections and lose some respect (rightfully so), but he'll be fine. He's a quasi-billionaire and in no way dependent on his career. He'll live and die with many times the wealth of all GAF combined. Likewise, Facebook is used by half the population of Earth and has no notable competitors, so they're not exactly in danger, either. And the sad truth is, while his words and deeds are reprehensible, they clearly resonate with at least enough people to support the current GOP ticket. Which is really the most terrifying takeaway of all.

The best thing that could come of this whole episode, is not so much what happens to Luckey himself, but what happens to society at large. If there's a large enough outcry about what Luckey has been doing — if the greater whole of the Internet is swift to condemn his support of hatred and cruelty — then perhaps it'll send a signal to the rest of society that no, this is not acceptable behavior, and no, the tenets of the alt-right are not reasonable or respectable in any sane civilized society.

Money doesn't buy happiness. Look at Notch. Prime example. I think Luckey is the type of person that wants everybody to like him. This is definitely gonna have an effect on him. I really hope Facebook and oculus distance themselves from him. There's no need to take the rift down with him.

It's looking more and more like he's not going to be let go anytime soon. If Oculus won't do it, they'll eventually crash and burn and Facebook week just close them down. I wouldn't be surprised to see a mass exodus from Oculus in the coming months.

Krejlooc

Banned
It's looking more and more like he's not going to be let go anytime soon. If Oculus won't do it, they'll eventually crash and burn and Facebook week just close them down. I wouldn't be surprised to see a mass exodus from Oculus in the coming months.

I would. Palmer Luckey doesn't do anything at Oculus. He's not leading those teams. I doubt very much there will be a mass exodus from Oculus just because their mascot shit himself publicly.

Not to mention, just giving $10,000 to a group that makes anti-Hillary memes isn't a reason to fire someone or for a company to 'crash and burn'.

Top Bottom