• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

Tagyhag

It's a shame that people will keep buying Oculus products on the grounds of "Look, he said we won't give them any more money!"

Seems like a cheap cop out.

dat fb post

about-to-go-down.gif

1/3 I wanted to give @PalmerLuckey a chance to respond before I posted…
[FB link] … …knowing Palmer, I take him at his word.

2/3 30 years in the Game business I would not work in a place that I thought condoned or spread hate. Nor would I remain silent if I saw it.

3/3 I believe games and VR have the potential to bring people together. My view is unwavering. We can make the world a better place.

Nah dude, his word is bullshit. You work for a dude that spreads hate and now condone it. You may wish this is the case, but it isn't true.

Yazzees

Hoo boy, Mike "Juicebro" Cernovich the fake lawyer or whatever is now in on this. Shitshow status is now beyond official.

Fuck this loser, goddamn.

Fisty

So he's basically saying "Palmer never told me to my face that he's a [insert chosen phrase here] so 'its all good people, nothing to see here'."

Can't say I'm surprised, after all Rubin is getting paid- let's not let a small thing like racism/facisim & bigotry get in the way of your paper.

He's just toe-ing the FB line, he is laying the groundwork for Facebook to state that they don't condone or support his views. He knows who REALLY signs his checks.

Bronx-Man

Banned
a total psycho who's main claim to fame is telling everyone he thinks women that get date raped are morons and its their fault

This might as well say, "I am choosing to ignore Palmer's bigoted girlfriend, his association with a serial harasser like Milo and people like Mike Cernovich."

Google his name, trust me you are in for quite a ride.

colin-farrell.gif

God, this shit really brings out the worst of humanity.

Mike Cernovich got famous by being one of the most prominent Gaters (along with Milo). He had a private investigator stalk Zoe Quinn while she was homeless because he's a psychopath.

Mike Cernovich has gotten on Fox News and is an extremely popular Trump supporter from starting the conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton suffers from Parkinson's disease.

Luckey's statement has been summed up well on Twitter:

CnbczJEUMAAeG1R.jpg

BD1

Banned
Facebook shrugged off Peter Thiel's personal vendettas and far out opinions. I think they'll shrug this off too.

Neiteio

At the end of the day, Luckey may lose some connections and lose some respect (rightfully so), but he'll be fine. He's a quasi-billionaire and in no way dependent on his career. He'll live and die with many times the wealth of all GAF combined. Likewise, Facebook is used by half the population of Earth and has no notable competitors, so they're not exactly in danger, either. And the sad truth is, while his words and deeds are reprehensible, they clearly resonate with at least enough people to support the current GOP ticket. Which is really the most terrifying takeaway of all.

The best thing that could come of this whole episode, is not so much what happens to Luckey himself, but what happens to society at large. If there's a large enough outcry about what Luckey has been doing — if the greater whole of the Internet is swift to condemn his support of hatred and cruelty — then perhaps it'll send a signal to the rest of society that no, this is not acceptable behavior, and no, the tenets of the alt-right are not reasonable or respectable in any sane civilized society.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Facebook shrugged off Peter Thiel's personal vendettas and far out opinions. I think they'll shrug this off too.

This is a might different because not only is this making Occulus look bad but the Rift is losing support and games because of it. This is giving a leg up to the PSVR and the Vive.

Since we're entering the weekend I'm worried we won't get any media follow-ups on this. You'd think someone like Luckey would know that receipts exist for this stuff.

Even if you entirely take him at his word he's still openly admitting to donating to a non-profit whose mission statement is to mess with the world via the freshest dank memes and shitposting, which coincidentally is extremely anti-Clinton. That's still pretty fucking awful. Also, when Mike Cervonish is coming to defend you, you are a worthless sack of human flesh. He and Milo are both automatic flags that you're horrible.

C'mon media, don't let this slide.

Top Bottom