• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Go announced, $199 standalone headset

I can't bother with VR until it's achieved a good wireless solution; I don't need "games" so much as interesting experiences anyway, so I'm curious how this plays out.

Im interested at that price, now what cant i do on this that i wont be able to on a pc rift or vive? Will touch controllers work with it?

Bookoo

Im interested at that price, now what cant i do on this that i wont be able to on a pc rift or vive? Will touch controllers work with it?

It is basically a GearVR (3 DoF), but you don't need a phone.

They also showed the Santa Cruz prototype which they are shipping to developers next year that is also a standalone headset with inside tracking which allows for 6 DoF and tracked controllers.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Its likely not going to run PC rift or vive content.
Oculus has 2 upcoming standalone VR headsets: Santa Cruz and Oculus Go.

Oculus Go will be $199 and is weaker than Santa Cruz. Oculus Go will be providing mobile VR experience (it share the same library as Gear VR), while Santa Cruz is more likely to support high end VR titles (Vive/Rift)

I think Oculus Touch wouldn’t be compatible due to different tracking method. Oculus Go support a remote but its possible they might release a new Oculus Go touch controller down the road.

Check out more details here

https://www.oculus.com/blog/pioneer...ntroducing-oculus-go-plus-santa-cruz-updates/

Bookoo

I don't get the standalone thing... i still need to plug it to my PC to play VR games right?

I am not sure if you are joking, but no standalone means everything is contained in the headset.

They have 2 standalone headsets on the horizon.

Oculus Go (3 Degrees of Freedom) - Think Samsung GearVR or Google's Day Dream but without a phone.
Project Santa Cruz (6 Degrees of Freedom + tracked controllers) - Will probably run a higher end mobile chip, but you will have the ability to walk around freely in a playspace and use tracked controllers.

Just as Palmer would have wanted

giphy.gif

Lakuza

Its likely not going to run PC rift or vive content.
Oculus has 2 upcoming standalone VR headsets: Santa Cruz and Oculus Go.

Oculus Go will be $199 and is weaker than Santa Cruz. Oculus Go will be providing mobile VR experience (it share the same library as Gear VR), while Santa Cruz is more likely to support high end VR titles (Vive/Rift)

I think Oculus Touch wouldn't be compatible due to different tracking method. Oculus Go support a remote but its possible they might release a new Oculus Go touch controller down the road.

Check out more details here

https://www.oculus.com/blog/pioneer...ntroducing-oculus-go-plus-santa-cruz-updates/

santa cruz wont be running pc vr games based on the impressions coming out right now. Its somewhere between gear vr and rift so it will most likely (my assumption) have its own library seperate to gear vr and rift.

some more details from a reddit user:
- The device is basically a high end mobile device, so you can expect a target of 150k polys and 200 draw calls.
- From testing, tracking is really robust and doesn't seem to break even in edge cases.
- One of the oculus devs was taken on a tour of dead and buried, in a room that was about 100m long, and tracking was solid all throughout.
- Press are getting demos, today, with no word on developer availability.

and a preview from uploadvr:
https://uploadvr.com/hands-on-santa-cruz-full-freedom-controllers/

Bookoo

I can assure you I am not jocking, I don't know anything about VR.

ah ok. Well if you aren't familiar with DoF (Degrees of Freedom) I can expand on that to highlight the difference between the two.

3 DoF Headsets like GearVR and OculusGo only track your head/neck movements, but they can't track translation. Ex: If you are sitting in a car and lean forward to get closer to read something your view in game won't change. This can also cause a lot of motion sickness because in the real world you leaned forward, but in the game you are still just sitting there.

6 DoF headsets like Rift, Vive, and PSVR tracking your head and bodies movement through the world. So in the previous example if you leaned forward to read something you would actually lean within the game.

Santa Cruz is sort of the best of both worlds. It has the tracking of the PC headsets, but is completely untethered like a mobile headset. The only downside is it will be running some high end mobile chip so graphics and experiences may not be lacking compared to the PC headsets.

Alastor3

ah ok. Well if you aren't familiar with DoF (Degrees of Freedom) I can expand on that to highlight the difference between the two.

3 DoF Headsets like GearVR and OculusGo only track your head/neck movements, but they can't track translation. Ex: If you are sitting in a car and lean forward to get closer to read something your view in game won't change. This can also cause a lot of motion sickness because in the real world you leaned forward, but in the game you are still just sitting there.

Current headsets like Rift, Vive, PSVR are 6 DoF headsets and they use cameras/sensors to track your movement in the real world. so take the same example from above if you leaned forward you view in game would lean forward.

Windows headsets and the upcoming Santa Cruz headsets are also 6 DoF headsets, but they utilize inside out tracking which removes the need for external cameras/sensors because they are placed in the headset and look outwards and map the enviroment around you.

hmmm the more I read, the less I want it if I want to experience games at their fullest (is it the right word?)

Bookoo

hmmm the more I read, the less I want it if I want to experience games at their fullest (is it the right word?)

If you don't have a decently powered PC and are interested in a VR headset it really sounds like Santa Cruz would be the one.

Santa Cruz is going to give you an experience similiar to Rift or Vive, but it will be powered by a mobile chip. Although to me it doesn't sound that bad because getting rif of the wires would be fantastic.

OculusGo is a great value, but the majority of the games are going to be seated. It could also be good for entertainment aspects like watching a movie in a giant theater.

Bookoo

I'm also confused.

Palmer was involved with (or created) a non-profit called Nimble America that was involved in some alt-right meme stuff and he eventually left (or was removed) from the company.

So the fact that the OculusGo is white is just like Palmer would have wanted.

Palmer was involved with (or created) a non-profit called Nimble America that was involved in some alt-right meme stuff and he eventually left (or was removed) from the company.

Oh... I think I'm losing touch with GAF because I just don't find this stuff outrageously funny as others seem to do.

HardRojo

Ah! I totally missed the bolded "It's white", that's why I didn't get it lol, I thought he was referencing an alt-right phrase or something.

Lakuza

Without real specs this sounds like a spruced up Gear VR which doesn’t really do much to peak my interest

it is a gear vr, just doesnt need a phone.it does use new lenses that oculus were showing off during the keynote (claiming it will help eliminate screen door effect or light rays)
The santa cruz headset is a standalone headset that is better (but also weaker than pc headsets), this one is still early though with no release date or price.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The device is basically a high end mobile device, so you can expect a target of 150k polys and 200 draw calls.

I'm still confused on this. I get that mobile phones are overpriced to a degree, but no way are you getting top end mobile chips for $200.

I’ll be interested in one.

In practice I expect it’s nothing more then a Gear VR experience wise but that’s still pretty cool at that price.

I'm still confused on this. I get that mobile phones are overpriced to a degree, but no way are you getting top end mobile chips for $200.

Facebook are probably taking a hit on every unit.

Lakuza

that quote is about the Oculus santa cruz headset, not oculus go.

Santa cruz headset is positioned to be better than mobile vr and weaker than pc vr. Its got no release date or price yet, but dev kits will be distributed next year.

to requote my post from previous page:
This image from reddit will give a good idea on how the 2 new oculus headsets are positioned in their product range.
xYm5k85.jpg

Gear VR < Oculus Go(standalone) < Santa Cruz headset(standalone) < Oculus Rift (pc)

for those with no idea on what santa cruz is, it was announced with Oculus Go.

Santa Cruz project dev kits are going out to devs in 2018 with 6DoF (ie. positionally tracked) controllers that don't require sensors or base stations of any sort.

rjinaz

So I guess I'm waiting for the Santa Cruz. I wonder if it could do games like Fallout 4. No way this headset does.

I know it's been said a hundred times, but that Palmer Fuckey dig, damn...

I'm highly skeptical at $200

Would be great if it's actually good

If it's Gear VR grade, then it'll be good. But no positional tracking is a mistake. It was a limiting factor with Gear VR.

Gnub

So this is targeted at media consumption and very light gaming? Sounds like a good idea to get people in on a lower cost solution for 360 video and those large screen experiences. I own a rift and I would be down for a low cost wireless headset for movies and TV.

Top Bottom