• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Go announced, $199 standalone headset

Lakuza

This image from reddit will give a good idea on how the 2 new oculus headsets are positioned in their product range.
xYm5k85.jpg

Gear VR < Oculus Go(standalone) < Santa Cruz headset(standalone) < Oculus Rift (pc)

for those with no idea on what santa cruz is, it was announced with Oculus Go.

Santa Cruz project dev kits are going out to devs in 2018 with 6DoF (ie. positionally tracked) controllers that don't require sensors or base stations of any sort.

Bookoo

No positional tracking or 3d controllers? What is the market for this thing?

For people who want a mobile headset, but don't have a Samsung Gear VR or Day Dream capable phone. Not bad considering they run around $100 for the headset + you need a phone.
They are also showed off the santa cruz prototype again which will be standalone mobile headset with 6 DOF + tracked controllers.

I’ve been wanting a GearVR or Daydream, but use iPhones. So Oculus Go is perfect for me. I’d much rather have Santa Cruz, but what ya gonna do.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
No positional tracking or 3d controllers? What is the market for this thing?

Its mobile VR and you and access Gear VR contents , without needing to buy an expensive high end samsung phone and Gear VR separately

$200 is rather cheap

3DOF only, possibility of hype deflated. But glad a portable solution sans smartphone will be viable soon so I can support competitors.

Planet said:
So it's vastly undercutting mobile VR, but offers higher quality. Sounds legit.
We don't know either of those things actually.
We do, they said it had the best looking display of all VR headsets. Which means better than Vive and Rift, which are considered top of the line in terms of VR display quality. They also made a big point that the device was supposed to be a middle ground in terms of power, between mobile and PC, so in theory it should be more powerful than mobile.

As for undercutting mobile VR, that depends on how you calculate it, since the other devices don’t work without an expensive phone, but if you have that expensive phone, they are really cheap (if not free). Unless you count Google Cardboard in there, in which case $200 is insanely pricier for mobile VR.

That can't be an argument, of course you need to calculate all the costs. Otherwise you could e.g. say PC VR is dirt cheap if your already own a Threadripper, a 1080 TI and an HTC Vive.
Disagree, because there’s a difference between having a computer almost nobody has and will guaranteed be a required upgrade for most people, and one of the most popular cell phones. A GearVR doesn’t cost $900 because it needs an $800 phone, nobody in the world thinks like that.

Top Bottom