• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus' Palmer Luckey funds white-supremacist/misogynistic/anti-lgbt harassment group

User1608

Banned
quDRQcM.jpg
Niiiice

ALL OF THE EMAILS!!!!

Liberals can feel how they want. No difference to me. I was actually serving when Benghazi happened, and each military state 100% will vote Trump because of it. I hate both parties, btw. Democrats pay the poor and nobody else, republicans are confused about just about everything. Anyone that ties themselves to one party boggles my mind.

Atleast a quote. This is as bad as Trump saying Obama wasn't born in the US. Like he made a direct statement, but it was false.

You don't just make a claim like this with no evidence.

And if Palmer would come out at any point and say 'hey these guys are making shit up', then they should show their receipts. But with the amount of direct quotes in the article, I really, really doubt that is going to be the case.

hahahahahahahahahaha

Oh, do go on.

This thread is getting very basic very fast. It's got a bit too many emotional reactions as opposed to critical thought. Out of the person you quoted, it's more interesting that they are pointing out that people support Trump for other reason's than just black hate. He/she may be wrong about the murder accusation, but that's not the point here. We don't need another thread where we defend hillary with very pointed posts like yours. We have dozens of those. This thread is about Palmer's motives

Another example:

This is adorable

Gaf loves dogpiling this stuff no matter what the thread is about

This. Maybe as a non-American I just have too much distance (or I'm ill-informed), but I can't say I'm a fan of how people are denigrating anyone who supports Trump as white supremacist. It's two steps away from crying Nazi, and we all know that never leads to good argument. Educate me if I'm wrong, I'm not as close to this as the majority of this forum.

Personally, I think the saddest thing about this election is that it's made progressives unconditionally back Hilary Clinton, because she's the lesser of two evils. But she's establishment, through and through, a huge step down from your current President, her record on foreign policy etc. is pretty unsettling and I can't say I'm excited by the prospect of her helming the most powerful and influential nation on the planet.

Is she preferable to Trump? Most definitely, but that doesn't make her appealing to me. I can't help but feel as though almost any other democrat candidate wouldn't even be surrounded by this 'will it, won't it' charade that the 2016 US election is currently mired in, and that it's only because it's Hilary Clinton that we're here at all.

There is zero substance to Trump's campaign that doesn't involve bigotry, racism, misogyny or blatant fear mongering. What else is there for anyone to grasp on to? It's absolutely fair to consider anyone supporting him a supporter of those things.

I know it's been said a few times in this thread already but I do want to say that the Vive really is superior hardware anyway.

Especially since it had roomscale and motion at launch, and won't have the splintered userbase that Oculus is getting with their incredibly late Touch release coming up. Ultimately pay the same price as Vive for questionable roomscale, no camera on the HMD, a software walled garden, and Facebook ecosystem including pushing Oculus users to use their real names.

Is she preferable to Trump? Most definitely, but that doesn't make her appealing to me. I can't help but feel as though almost any other democrat candidate wouldn't even be surrounded by this 'will it, won't it' charade that the 2016 US election is currently mired in, and that it's only because it's Hilary Clinton that we're here at all.

See, the problem is, this campaign is fucked. It's honestly the lesser of two evils for 4 years. Who do you want to dictate the traits of the world for 4 years, Trump or Hilary? With Trump, all may be lost within 4 years. With Hillary, she has no monopolistic agenda that Trump has. He clearly wants to be the president for his benefit and not the benefit of United States. Sure, there are a lot of people that are in sync with his political party, and some in sync with him, but it's always the lesser of two evils when it comes to politics.

Trump is there for money and personal business gains before he kick the bucket. Hilary is there because she has big shoes to fill and wants to overthrow her husband's legacy before she kicks the bucket.

Isn't that just as appalling?

Never said it wasn't. But I have a easier time believing this is changing places style, rich guy game than a serious political position.

I would seriously blow my mind to believe someone with that leave of wealth and influence, not to mention working in the industry that he does, could seriously support someone like Trump.

b3d6375582b72abf9431ed19b587027d.jpg

Even just the fact that he pals around with "Fat people at the gym must be shamed" Milo would be a dealbreaker for me. But Palmer Luckey has been using the money gained from creating Oculus to fund a white supremacist presidential candidate who advocates committing war crimes and believes climate change is a hoax created by the Chinese. What more is there to say, really?

Why the hell would you do that to an overweight person actively doing something about it? Help him out, encourage him for fucks sake. This doesn't even make any sense? The guy is clearly overweight and he obviously wants to do something about it, BECAUSE HE'S WORKING OUT AT THE GYM.

Wvrs

You really don't have a good understanding of this.

I did say educate me if I'm wrong, I'm just seeing that GAF is constantly dominated by Trump/Clinton threads recently, can tell that we're going to get more and more in the next couple months, and so thought I'd try understand what is happening. Please don't be offended, that's not my intention.

I understand tactical voting, and of course think Clinton would make for a better President than Trump. I'd vote for her myself, were I American. But I also find it a little odd that in this race, at some point progressively minded individuals seem to have lost all critique they had for Clinton, at least openly, (critique I often saw around here) because it's all focused on Trump. I worry it'll give Clinton a free pass in the long term, and that'll be the real damage done by Trump in the end. People afraid to criticise what should be criticised because it could be interpreted as fuelling the fire of extremist demagogues.

Liberals can feel how they want. No difference to me. I was actually serving when Benghazi happened, and each military state 100% will vote Trump because of it. I hate both parties, btw. Democrats pay the poor and nobody else, republicans are confused about just about everything. Anyone that ties themselves to one party boggles my mind.

I don't think anybody doubts that many people will vote Trump because of Benghazi. Because they are idiots.

Why the hell would you do that to an overweight person actively doing something about it? Help him out, encourage him for fucks sake. This doesn't even make any sense? The guy is clearly overweight and he obviously wants to do something about it. As a gym rat this shit pisses me off.

Its fucking disgusting. They should walk over there and encourage the guy and say "Hell yeah man hope to see you back here tomorrow / this week"

Then again Milo is a professional troll

Bsigg12

Kinda off topic but we do have a thread in off topic and gaming about the exact same thing. It's funny going through them.

mjp2417

Banned
Why the hell would you do that to an overweight person actively doing something about it? Help him out, encourage him for fucks sake. This doesn't even make any sense? The guy is clearly overweight and he obviously wants to do something about it, BECAUSE HE'S WORKING OUT AT THE GYM.

Because he's a terrible human being.

Because that man is vile beyond understanding. That is far from his worst.

I don't think anybody doubts that many people will vote Trump because of Benghazi. Because they are idiots.

Or because 4 more years of a democrat pouring funds into the welfare state might literally bankrupt this country? There are different reasons for different people. Economy being a huge one.

Neiteio

I'm thin (thank you, good metabolism), but I've never felt compelled to "shame" someone for their weight, regardless of whether they're trying to fix it.

The only time people should be shamed is when they're being an asshole to others.

That Milo guy is a fucking creep.

Or because 4 more years of a democrat pouring funds into the welfare state might literally bankrupt this country? There are different reasons for different people. Economy being a huge one.

If they believe that my point stands. Idiots. These "military states" they live in are the biggest welfare states in the entire country.

What else is there for anyone to grasp on to? It's absolutely fair to consider anyone supporting him a supporter of those things.

That's a great question. Let's know our enemy so to speak and find out. Luckey outlines a couple in his supposed reddit post, like being anti-establishment

That's a great question. Let's know our enemy so to speak and find out. Luckey outlines a couple in his supposed reddit post, like being anti-establishment

If he thinks the 70 year old white guy who was born into money is "anti-establishment" then clearly those VR smarts don't translate over into other fields.

besada

Banned
I did say educate me if I'm wrong, I'm just seeing that GAF is constantly dominated by Trump/Clinton threads recently, can tell that we're going to get more and more in the next couple months, and so thought I'd try understand what is happening. Please don't be offended, that's not my intention.

I understand tactical voting, and of course think Clinton would make for a better President than Trump. I'd vote for her myself, were I American. But I also find it a little odd that in this race, at some point progressively minded individuals seem to have lost all critique they had for Clinton, at least openly, (critique I often saw around here) because it's all focused on Trump. I worry it'll give Clinton a free pass in the long term.

I think people will more than happily turn on Clinton the second she's elected. But until then, most people are focused on making sure Trump loses. Lots of us don't like Clinton, but there's time for that once Trump is off the field. So I think its fair to say tat people are spending less time worrying about her than they are Trump, largely because only one of them is promising to violate the Geneva conventions like it was a #McChicken.

tuxfool

Banned

Except Trump is as establishment as it gets. Which is one of the reasons rational people don't truck with their nonsense.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

What makes you think Trump will cut funding to social programs? I don't think he's ever even talked about it. Only ever heard him talk about govt agencies he finds superfluous.

Ketch

Yep. That's crap. Picture of three people at the gym, one of them is working out while the other two take selfies and post on Twitter. GTFO.

Seiru

Banned
At this point, I feel like there's no reason Luckey or Facebook wouldn't have made a public statement denying this by now, unless it was true.

This is really disappointing. I feel bad for all the talented people at Oculus. Luckey needs to resign tomorrow.

SlickVic

Even if this group is truly what he believes in, seems like an odd thing to admit being a part of so openly. I mean, why go through the trouble of creating an alt Reddit name if you're just going to admit it was you? Was he aware that someone was about to blow this thing wide open and he figured he might as well get in front of the story?

I feel the only time I've heard Luckey's talk was on an E3 Bombcast, so I'm a bit curious to hear those guy's thoughts on this subject next week on the Bombcast.

Mahonay

Banned

I understand tactical voting, and of course think Clinton would make for a better President than Trump. I'd vote for her myself, were I American. But I also find it a little odd that in this race, at some point progressively minded individuals seem to have lost all critique they had for Clinton, at least openly, (critique I often saw around here) because it's all focused on Trump. I worry it'll give Clinton a free pass in the long term.
Almost all liberals I know do have issues with Clinton, and if you actually paid attention, so do a lot of people here on GAF.

I voted for Bernie in the primaries. I no longer have that option. Trump is the opposing candidate. There's nothing for me to do but vote Clinton.

Alucrid

Banned

yeah that's not going to happen. good to know you don't understand economics though.

At this point, I feel like there's no reason Luckey or Facebook wouldn't have made a public statement denying this by now, unless it was true.

This is really disappointing. I feel bad for all the talented people at Oculus. Luckey needs to resign tomorrow.

It's late. They're asleep. Tomorrow, when he opens the door, shit will be pouring from the ceiling.

BajiBoxer

Banned
This. Maybe as a non-American I just have too much distance (or I'm ill-informed), but I can't say I'm a fan of how people are denigrating anyone who supports Trump as white supremacist. It's two steps away from crying Nazi, and we all know that never leads to good argument. Educate me if I'm wrong, I'm not as close to this as the majority of this forum.

Personally, I think the saddest thing about this election is that it's made progressives unconditionally back Hilary Clinton, because she's the lesser of two evils. But she's establishment, through and through, a huge step down from your current President, her record on foreign policy etc. is pretty unsettling and I can't say I'm excited by the prospect of her helming the most powerful and influential nation on the planet.

A rundown: https://www.reddit.com/r/EnoughTrum...a_final_response_to_the_tell_me_why_trump_is/

Yes, he has actually supported and hired actual white supremicists, received their support in turn, cribbed some of Hitlers ideas, reused Nazi originated imagery and rhetoric, expressed admiranion dictators, and so on. He emulates people like Hitler or Mussolini, and really doesn't hide it so well. Lots of this is out in the open.

He's got some shitty views, to be sure (I still don't see the evidence of him being an outright racist) and he's got a lot to learn, he's a kid. I fat shamed sometimes when I was a dumbass kid, I had no idea how destructive that was, didn't know to apply empathy. Palmer is learning to keep your views behind closed doors. If we had beers with a lot of people that make a lot of money that we think we like, we'd like a lot less of them I bet.

foamdino

Maybe I don't get it, but I read that post as sarcastic...

Matching like for like; you donate a dollar and I'll fly my jet less...

This sounds like an ill-informed attempt at Luckey to jump onto a meme for kicks. He could also really believe in the crap, but the way that post is written make me think otherwise.

Top Bottom