• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus: Palmer Luckey Trying to Answer Questions

thefro

I think the best way to kill some of the bad PR would be use their mountain of cash to do something for the original backers.

Kud Dukan

I appreciate his attempts to answer questions, but it would probably have been wise to wait a few days until the typical internet overreaction dies down a little bit.

entremet

We need more Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. Kinda sad seeing dudes selling out instead of pursuing their vision.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Look at all you folks invoking your life experiences and mature business prowess on this snotty-nose wet-behind-the-ear cash-out kid! He really should have consulted GAF before he made this deal like he did before he poured his non-existent life into the Rift.

EDIT: He's a 21 year old baby boy virgin kid. I almost forgot to point out that itself alone is enough to write him off. This latest move of his just seals the deal.

rkn

The big, *cough*, rift, here is that these two companies don't seem to have much 'synergy'. Sure they are both in the business of 'computers', but it feels kind of like McDonalds buying up a high end wine shop.

He doesn't understand the difference between answering questions on kickstarter and having a much larger company above you dictate decisions?
Uh, he's taking about the fact that the capital he raised after the Kickstarter, the much ballyhooed 75 million, comes with giving away equity in the company, I.e. giving up some control. That's how investment works.

Obviously a different scale here, though.

Odrion

Banned
Look at all you folks invoking your life experiences and mature business prowess on this snotty-nose wet-behind-the-ear cash-out kid! He really should have consulted GAF before he made this deal like he did before he poured his non-existent life into the Rift.
Tbh I would sell out my ethics and morals for 2 billion in a heartbeat.

Pikma

Banned
Why the hell does every average gaming joe always pretends to know it all about marketing, target audiences and market trends like if they were fucking experienced analysts backed up by extensive studies? Not even fucking Pachter is good at it, why would you? I mean, it's ok to be worried, and to complain, but talking like you know it better than them, the actual company owners, is quite stupid.

Afrodium

Banned
How many people playing farmville are going to buy a $300.00 peripheral (most likely a lot more) to see their cartoon animals in 3 dimensions? Don't forget they will need a much stronger GPU than the mainstream computer has today. Also lets not forget everyone nowadays is just gunna get a tablet right? When will those GPUs (tablets) be at a mass market price?

Just because Facebook bought Oculus doesn't mean that their version of the Rift will only be able to access Facebook.com. I think people are overreacting to this news and coming up with conclusions that have no bearing on reality. Do you really think Facebook dropped $2 billion so that they could give people VR Farmville?

Odrion

Banned
Why the hell does every average gaming joe always pretends to know it all about marketing, target audiences and market trends like if they were fucking experienced analysts backed up by extensive studies? Not even fucking Pachter is good at it, why would you? I mean, it's ok to be worried, and to complain, but talking like you know it better than them, the actual company owners, is quite stupid.
Unless you are any better I don't understand why you would bring this up.

No way in hell Facebook themselves will be selling this product to anyone and gamers have been straight up alienated by this move.

Basically, he made his money quick and easy (compared to rolling with Oculus on the route they were on). I think most people would have done the same in his situation. Unfortunately I think his product really had the potential to be a game changer (no pun intended) in many ways but my guess is we'll see it wither away and die out now.

Nzyme32

Q Well, for one thing, I was working on a VR social network platform. It's still extremely early but this news makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time because Facebook may have an "app store" that denies this sort of app.

A We are not going to lock people out because they compete. We have been working on a variety of first party applications, but are completely open to community equivalents. It would be arrogant of us to assume that our solutions will be the best solutions, users can decide for themselves.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Tbh I would sell out my ethics and morals for 2 billion in a heartbeat.

Yup those ethics were the first thing to go when he saw that money. Why the hell did we spend all these years putting ethics into this kid so he can put out this kind of call. He's the kind of guy would probably try to throw out a line that starts like "I'm not a vending machine you put ethics into expecting..."; the kids a joke, he totally destroyed the VR space. Only a large corporation can save us now.

Nokterian

Oculus has the chance to create the most social platform ever, and change the way we work, play and communicate

http://www.wired.com/business/2014/03/facebook-acquires-oculus/?mbid=social_twitter

9072_a3a8.gif

Cipherr

No way in hell Facebook themselves will be selling this product to anyone and gamers have been straight up alienated by this move.

Basically, he made his money quick and easy (compared to rolling with Oculus on the route they were on). I think most people would have done the same in his situation. Unfortunately I think his product really had the potential to be a game changer (no pun intended) in many ways but my guess is we'll see it wither away and die out now.

I don't know about all that, but I hope they have something great to show for gaming specifically sometime soon, because every gaming community I frequently is damn near uniformly unhappy about this.

Izayoi

Banned
He seemed so passionate about VR, too.

Granted, it's a load of money, but for him to just sell out and condemn the entire space like this is pretty disheartening...

Nzyme32

Q What if Facebook tries to create its own version of Steam or Origin where all Oculus games have to go through?

A We are already working on our own VR game platform/launcher, but we are not going to force everything to go through it. Facebook has no interest in changing that, they believe in what we have been doing all along.

timshundo

The gaf overreaction has me rolling.

Like instagram, this is a purchase that was only made to keep the technology out Google/Microsoft's hands on top of a big cash infusion to guarantee the continuing development of the tech, especially now in the face of Sony. Oculus will continue what they're doing. All facebook is paying for is their logo on everything Oculus touches.

Edit: and no I don't work for/ am not financially invested in Facebook.

Dragon

Banned
Screen%20Shot%202014-03-25%20at%209.26.33%20PM.png

Carmack, you've never been shy before!

The gaf overreaction has me rolling.

Like instagram, this is a purchase that was only made to keep the technology out Google/Microsoft's hands on top of a big cash infusion to guarantee the continuing development of the tech, especially now in the face of Sony. Oculus will continue what they're doing. All facebook is paying for is their logo on everything Oculus touches.

http://friendfeed.com/

Madness

Its $ 2 billion, he sold out, end of story.

Facebook is in the advertisement business, calling them a tech company in the same vein as Google or Apple is an extreme stretch. More importantly they aren't a GAMING company, Mark Zuckerberg isn't buying this as a foray into gaming, there are much more profitable avenues to take this software.

Well they are a tech company. But they behave more like a venture capitalist investment firm than a tech company these days. Rather than innovate and improve, they just spend massive amounts of money buying up other firms. Instagram, WhatsApp, Oculus now. They remind me of AOL in a sense. This bubble will end too.

Facebook has been bleeding users in the West, no way to capitalize, and it's intrusive ads have turned a lot of people off.

It's funny how crowd funding for Oculus allowed them to now be bought by Facebook. Can't wait for CliffyB and his doublespeak about how this is a good thing too.

HariKari

Man, look at all these bitter downvotes.

Most of what he is saying is shitty pr speak, or just wrong. You can't claim independence or that you'll "never do [insert behavior here]" when you're no longer in a position to dictate that.

If Facebook wants to lock down Oculus with their own app store, they can and they will.

Q Well, for one thing, I was working on a VR social network platform. It's still extremely early but this news makes me wonder if I'm wasting my time because Facebook may have an "app store" that denies this sort of app.

A We are not going to lock people out because they compete. We have been working on a variety of first party applications, but are completely open to community equivalents. It would be arrogant of us to assume that our solutions will be the best solutions, users can decide for themselves.

WAHAHAHAHA im glad he believes it himself.

Sentenza

You know, people need to realize that he may even still be the most passionate, honest and well-intentioned guy in the world, but that just doesn't matter, because he's not in charge anymore.
It's not up to him to decide how they will be dealing with competition.

Yoda

Just because Facebook bought Oculus doesn't mean that their version of the Rift will only be able to access Facebook.com. I think people are overreacting to this news and coming up with conclusions that have no bearing on reality. Do you really think Facebook dropped $2 billion so that they could give people VR Farmville?

My response was trying to illustrate how comparing Facebook as a gaming platform to something like a High-end PC or console is silly.

I think they bought it for non-gaming related ventures which makes loads of sense for them. But this kid is trying to bullshit his way out of being viewed as the sell-out he is. If he wants to sell it out its his choice, but its really a 180 for any dev that is working on it. There is no way someone who was developing a high fidelity core experience for the OR isn't feeling quite a bit on anxiety right now.

There is far more money in using the VR for gimmicky shit than there is in making AAA games. Think virtual tourism "connecting with people and places w/o actually going there".

We are hearing a lot about how Facebook won't be bad, but not much about how Facebook will be good other than "we have now greater freedom and flexibility" whatever that means. Ok, even if that is true, how does Facebook benefit from that?

stufte

Most of what he is saying is shitty pr speak, or just wrong. You can't claim independence or that you'll "never do [insert behavior here]" when you're no longer in a position to dictate that.

If Facebook wants to lock down Oculus with their own app store, they can and they will.

how is he no longer in the position to dictate that? Do we know the specifics of the deal they made?

Odrion

Banned
You know, people need to realize that he may even still be the most passionate, honest and well-intentioned guy in the world, but that just doesn't matter, because he's not in charge anymore.
It's not up to him to decide how they will be dealing with competition.
For 2 billion dollars I would say whatever the fuck I wanted and not mean a thing.

timshundo

Screen%20Shot%202014-03-25%20at%209.26.33%20PM.png

Carmack, you've never been shy before!

http://friendfeed.com/

Friendfeed failed because no one wanted a social news aggregator. It seemed like a logical progression in the way we consume our internet life but no one ended up needing it. I would know; I designed friendfeed's competitor which also got acquired by another big company and went no where.

Nzyme32

Q I can support this as a great step forward to a variety of VR experiences, not just gaming VR.
But I have one request: Don't put Facebook updates in my HUD

A Deal!

RE_Player

He wanted to cash out. Try to reason all you want but at the end of the day he saw an opportunity and took it. As soon as he is not obligated by contract to be there he'll be on his yacht living the good life.

Palmer can say whatever the hell he wants, it doesn't matter. Facebook will now have final say on the direction of Oculus VR and the Rift. There are two billion reasons why.

I agree with the posts in this thread that stated that most of us would have sold out if we were in his shoes. He's pretty much set for life. Most people have price tags on their heads.

If all those answers end up being true in the long term then Facebook spent a bunch of money for no reason.

Facebook didn't spend that money for no reason.

DANASTRIKEFORCE-copy.jpg

BUSINESS AS USUAL

Top Bottom