• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

VR Oculus Quest

Tygeezy

Sep 28, 2018
hmm, I can spin in my heels faster than that and completely smooth

there are no cables, man. You can spin forever

Tygeezy

Sep 28, 2018
Snap turning is good if you play in a large play space and you get close to one of your walls. You can turn yourself and then snap turn and continue walking in your play space.

Gamer79

Apr 9, 2015
Snap turning is good if you play in a large play space and you get close to one of your walls. You can turn yourself and then snap turn and continue walking in your play space.
I hate snap turning. I turn all my turning to smooth. Snap makes it worse for me.

Shadowstar39

Apr 25, 2018
Pretty sure it has smooth turning on alyx..........I wouldn't of played with snap turning (it was a while ago i played it tho)

Unless I just never used the turn and moved my body instead
yeah this wasn't Alyx. I haven't bought that yet. This is a sidequest game engine that turns the original 1988 half-life 1 (and blue shift/opposing forces) into a full vr game. You hold the crowbar and swing it. You are there as gordon freeman. It's so cool. The thing is the right hand controller where i would suspect you would use the stick to turn only turns in 15 -25 degree blocks so you can smooth turn. Kinda sucks once you get to enemies to fight. Skyrim vr has that teleportation movement or using the right stick to turn, and you can adjust it. I didn't see any options for that here.

I still need to download doom3 and quake 1 and 2 engines, as I have those games, maybe those have smooth turning, i hope. It wouldn't be to bad either if it turned based on where you are looking, but it doesn't seem to do that either.

Reactions: namekuseijin

Shadowstar39

Apr 25, 2018
Yeah I do actually! (I think anyway)

Got a build with 32GB ram, ryzen 5 3600xt and a EVGA 2080S , hoping that's enough to run PC VR with the quest 2? I already was looking at beat saber for sure and maybe FitXR to get some cardio in during lockdown, are there any good "fitness" games?
Thats plenty as far as i have found. I have a ryzen 5 3600 , and evga 2060 sc ultra, w/ 16gb ddr4 and ssd. It runs all my games non vr over 60 and on vr i haven't seen any issues. Of course i have only played skyrim, and a few demos on steam vr, so maybe something won't run, but skyrim was running great.

Shadowstar39

Apr 25, 2018
You can do via wireless

Yeah but to do that you need a link cable to set it up. There is a ton of software to download, occulus app for computer and phone, sidequest, vr desktop and it needs to be in the right usb port etc.. I got a 16ft cable for $25 on amazon that works great. Don't pay for that overpriced occulus link cable.

namekuseijin

Jun 10, 2020
yeah this wasn't Alyx. I haven't bought that yet. This is a sidequest game engine that turns the original 1988 half-life 1 (and blue shift/opposing forces) into a full vr game. You hold the crowbar and swing it. You are there as gordon freeman. It's so cool. The thing is the right hand controller where i would suspect you would use the stick to turn only turns in 15 -25 degree blocks so you can smooth turn. Kinda sucks once you get to enemies to fight. Skyrim vr has that teleportation movement or using the right stick to turn, and you can adjust it. I didn't see any options for that here.

I still need to download doom3 and quake 1 and 2 engines, as I have those games, maybe those have smooth turning, i hope. It wouldn't be to bad either if it turned based on where you are looking, but it doesn't seem to do that either.

dude, you're in a headset without cables - just turn your body as if you're there in person. There's no smoother turn than that and nausea-free to boot. Far more immersive than analog stick.

snap/smooth turn discussions don't belong on Quest

Spukc

Jan 24, 2015
dude, you're in a headset without cables - just turn your body as if you're there in person. There's no smoother turn than that and nausea-free to boot. Far more immersive than analog stick.

snap/smooth turn discussions don't belong on Quest
snap turning a very important for a large group of people.
smooth turning can make a LOT of people really sick

Keihart

Jun 23, 2013
I mean, if you had infinite play space, sure, rotate all you want, but since play space is limited, in most games turning with the controller it's still a convenience unless you always stay centered and never walk towards the limits.

wordslaughter

Apr 17, 2019
Just yesterday I was getting VR sick after only about 10-15 minutes. I just finished ~ an hour and a half straight session of Boneworks and I feel fine.

I'm pretty sure the reason I'm fine is because I started turning with my body instead of the analog stick. I stand on a mat and don't really leave it. If I want to turn left down a halfway I turn my entire body and then go forward using the left stick. I try to 99% avoid strafing and basically move around like a tank.

After tweaking Virtual Desktop and getting used to playing completely wirelessly, I don't think I'll ever go back to the link cable. Maybe for seated racing games. Maybe.

I don't think I've ever been as immersed in a game as I just was in Boneworks... amazing :O

VR is amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: pr0cs and Tygeezy

Tygeezy

Sep 28, 2018
If you play by moving around in a large play space snap turning becomes necessary when you run out of space. You have to physically turn your body and then snap turn back in the direction you were trying to walk in but otherwise would have exited your play space.

Tygeezy

Sep 28, 2018
Just yesterday I was getting VR sick after only about 10-15 minutes. I just finished ~ an hour and a half straight session of Boneworks and I feel fine.

I'm pretty sure the reason I'm fine is because I started turning with my body instead of the analog stick. I stand on a mat and don't really leave it. If I want to turn left down a halfway I turn my entire body and then go forward using the left stick. I try to 99% avoid strafing and basically move around like a tank.

After tweaking Virtual Desktop and getting used to playing completely wirelessly, I don't think I'll ever go back to the link cable. Maybe for seated racing games. Maybe.

I don't think I've ever been as immersed in a game as I just was in Boneworks... amazing :O

VR is amazing.
It’s faster to turn with your body than using a stick anyway. Plus with no cables, you don’t need to worry about wrapping yourself up.

Reactions: OnionSnake

Twinguistics

Jun 1, 2014
Got some prescription lenses today, will give them a few days but ehh so far. Wish you could completely replace the oculus lenses instead of clipping them on top.
I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on them as I'm considering getting some for my rift. I've currently got my sports goggles wedged in there but it's not the best solution.

Also, f lens fog.

OnionSnake

Neo Member
Dec 29, 2020
I'd be interested in hearing your opinions on them as I'm considering getting some for my rift. I've currently got my sports goggles wedged in there but it's not the best solution.

Also, f lens fog.
I don't experience lens fog with my glasses so can't comment on this being a solution. So far they are fine, I am kind of hungover so not in the mood for VR today but will try tomorrow. Just messing around in the menu/youtube 360 it was cool just annoyed to have to clean both sets of lens pretty extensively. They even showed up with smudges :messenger_dizzy: since t hey click right in I should not have to clean the oculus lens again though just the outside of the prescription

Reactions: Twinguistics

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Mar 10, 2005
Have updated Doom 3 and jumped back in. The graphics have improved. Got trapped by a couple of Imps that polished me off. Terrifying and amazing at the same time.

Aiming and shooting in VR is so much better the mouse and keyboard. Makes the game a fair bit easier then I remember it being.

Last edited:
Reactions: Twinguistics