• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Question on SideQuest I keep forgetting to ask. If I download, for example Hyper Dash, do I have to re-download each time there is an update? Or does it update over wifi on the Quest once sideloaded?

Yes, unfortunately, need to connect to pc again and redownload through Sidequest

CloudNull

Banned
Question on SideQuest I keep forgetting to ask. If I download, for example Hyper Dash, do I have to re-download each time there is an update? Or does it update over wifi on the Quest once sideloaded?

You will have to reconnect the headset to the computer, open Sidequest and press the update all button. This will update all sideloaded games. Easier than reinstalling but still not the best option. SideQuest is Early Access for VR. Oculus Store has very strict guidelines before a game will be available for people to buy and this gives developers the ability to develop the game with the community and bring it to the Oculus Store when ready.

With that being said Hyper Dash runs better in Alpha than many released Quest games.

Billbofet

You will have to reconnect the headset to the computer, open Sidequest and press the update all button. This will update all sideloaded games. Easier than reinstalling but still not the best option. SideQuest is Early Access for VR. Oculus Store has very strict guidelines before a game will be available for people to buy and this gives developers the ability to develop the game with the community and bring it to the Oculus Store when ready.

With that being said Hyper Dash runs better in Alpha than many released Quest games.
Thanks!

Also, I have tried Hyper Dash and I agree it is incredible. I only did the tutorial and loved what I saw. I'll have to spend more time with it tonight.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I ordered a 256gb model yesterday. It got delivered today (thanks Amazon Australia)! Also got the PC usb attachment (now need to upgrade my pc)!
Seriously, this thing is amazing! How does it do what it does better than psvr? Without a camera? The controllers are phenomenal! I purchased The Room game and a Boxing game. After 3 rounds of fighting I was sweating bullets!
Anyway, this piece of tech is amazing! I’m now excited to upgrade my pc to play half life, google earth and plenty of other awesome pcvr games.
Get Super Hot and Beat Saber as well. I played thrill of the fight for the first time yesterday. My arms are still sore from swinging lol. The Quest 2 is an amazing device!

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Got lucky this morning with Amazon having the 64gb version up for delivery the 2nd week of January so I jumped on it. Still need to find a Elite w/Battery strap. They are not even on the Oculus site for some reason. But at least I secured a headset. Was going to go with the 256gb, but those seem harder to find...but these native games are not that big, so the 64gb should be fine.
I bought the elite strap but doesn't ship to January. Just buy an anker power bank and attach it to your headset via charge cable. Saves much more money than buying their overpriced battery.

pr0cs

I got my kids a Quest 2 for Christmas. Currently we have FNAF: Help Wanted, Super Hot and Falcon Age. What are the biggest recommendations right now?
A big hit with my kids and their friends is Job Simulator, fun, low impact, little to no chance of VR sickness

I sit next to and monitor him each time he uses the Go (I cast it to my phone as well).
Low risk and I can understand it could be considered inappropriate if there was no supervision. That's not the case.

It does get a bit dicey if he is smoking cigarettes while using the unit, but I only allow two or three cigs per session.
I mean, he's only six, so I'm gonna keep to half a pack until he's older like his sister. :messenger_winking:

VR is bad for children's eyes, not to mention the other risks such as unsuitable content and risk of injury.

What is it with society these days not following rules.

I've been thinking about it and it's disgusting. A woman strapped a device to her young child, even though the instructions say 12 and over, and then filmed her terrified child and uploaded it for the amusement of strangers on the internet. What a horrible mother.

Last edited:

INC

VR is bad for children's eyes, not to mention the other risks such as unsuitable content and risk of injury.

I've been thinking about it and it's disgusting. A woman strapped a device to her young child, even though the instructions say 12 and over, and then filmed her terrified child and uploaded it for the amusement of strangers on the internet. What a horrible mother.
accusing season 7 GIF

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I bought Beat Saber on Steam to compare the input latency over wireless Virtual Desktop to local play on the headset and it's surprisingly good. I think the Steam version looks better, too. Occasional hiccups, but just slight micro stutters a couple times each song. Nothing that messes with the timing or experience.

I grabbed Drunkn Bar fights, but it gave me extreme motion sickness. Shame, it was fun for the 15min I played it. Got Rick and Morty VR as well and as a big fan it really put a smile on my face. I have Phasmophobia and I need to try that out alone in a dark room.

Quest 2 is the first headset that really got my attention. As a not so big into VR guy formally, I think as a casual/mainstream player this is the first headset I've seen that can achieve mass-market penetration.
---
On the subject of letting children play: I researched the topic and saw that they recommend Quest 2 for ages 13 and over. I've let my youngest son and nephews who are under 13 play, but it's only for little 5-10min sessions at a time. It's up to each parent to use the device first and assess the risk. I wouldn't recommend to anybody to spend too much time with the headset on without a break.

Last edited:

I don't it's quite that bad. Yes, IPD will be an issue in very young children, yet curiosity about it will obviously kick in and they will ask for a round. Mother complies and films how it goes, it goes as enjoyable as anything on candid camera, so she posts it.

Now, plenty of early teens asked for a Quest this Xmas, that's for sure. But not very young kids I hope...

770th was my best position in the holidays tournament for In Death Unchained:

EqdeQuTXYAECvjf

hard AF getting those perfect shots, but tbh, the more you play, the easier it gets because several skills, powerups and gold unlock. So, the top players with millions of points have been playing for long. But those skills and powerups won't make it any easier aiming enemies far away, only experience...

damn good game in the main campaign, but this dlc was very fun and challenging. I think more maps are coming soon...

Last edited:

draliko

I noticed while trying to get a good fit that if I pull the q2 a bit farther from my face I get better focus, so I was thinking a out a new face cover a thicker one, have you got any suggestion? The one that sells oculus are good? Any 3rd party worth getting? Also have you got any suggestion for a case and a new strap (other than the official ones) thanks

CloudNull

Banned
770th was my best position in the holidays tournament for In Death Unchained:

EqdeQuTXYAECvjf

hard AF getting those perfect shots, but tbh, the more you play, the easier it gets because several skills, powerups and gold unlock. So, the top players with millions of points have been playing for long. But those skills and powerups won't make it any easier aiming enemies far away, only experience...

damn good game in the main campaign, but this dlc was very fun and challenging. I think more maps are coming soon...

Damn that is still super impressive. You beat out 95% of the people, Congrats.

Romulus

I think gamers of a certain age, who grew up with atari and spectrums, amigas, this was science fiction to us as kids, so when you first try it, its like a nostalgic light bulb moment. it was for me, VR was my childhoods wildest dream, and now its a reality.

Yup. I've had good luck with non gamers too, blue collar workers that have almost no gaming experience. Pretty amazing to see and cool that there's tech to wow them now. I could show them any game on a monitors/TVs and it just didn't have an effect really at all.

Last edited:

INC

Yup. I've had good luck with non gamers too, blue collar workers that have almost no gaming experience. Pretty amazing to see and cool that there's tech to wow them now. I could show them any game on a monitors/TVs and it just didn't have an effect really at all.

Google earth vr, is a great first thing to show people with 0 interest in gaming or tech.

Walkabout Mini Golf is great for VR noobs like these. Intuitive, natural paced, nausea-free etc

besides, mini golf sessions are always great fun. I bought it on sale awhile ago and only tried practice so far, not campaign let alone multiplayer

Last edited:

Romulus

Google earth vr, is a great first thing to show people with 0 interest in gaming or tech.

I actually showed my uncle that, he's like 67 Mr. Skeptical everything. He was amazed. "Omg, I didn't realize we could do things like this." It really is, I'm impressed with it still.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Get Super Hot and Beat Saber as well. I played thrill of the fight for the first time yesterday. My arms are still sore from swinging lol. The Quest 2 is an amazing device!
I will definitely look into both! I also purchased Wander yesterday. I went back to New York City to see where we stayed on our honeymoon over 10 years ago, and god damn I started crying! To be able to see these places again in VR in such clarity is just something else.

Buggy Loop

Got the Quest 2 today by mail. Sadly, some fucking loser 2 days ago stole my Amazon package that had the 5m USB cable. Next one is not here until a while.

Arsic

Gold Member
I just bought the Oculus Quest 2 to play Half Life Alyx. Honestly I would've got an Index, but the much larger cost and unavailability made me go this route. Plus, I have no clue how motion sickness will be, plus comfort since I wear glasses with a FAT head.

If anything maybe my wife can enjoy Phasmaphobia with her friends on it.

Did I do a good thing ? I have a RTX 2080, 32GB ra, I7 9th gen 6 core 3.2GHZ.

I just bought the Oculus Quest 2 to play Half Life Alyx. Honestly I would've got an Index, but the much larger cost and unavailability made me go this route. Plus, I have no clue how motion sickness will be, plus comfort since I wear glasses with a FAT head.

If anything maybe my wife can enjoy Phasmaphobia with her friends on it.

Did I do a good thing ? I have a RTX 2080, 32GB ra, I7 9th gen 6 core 3.2GHZ.

I'd not begin with Alyx, not only because motion sickness but also because you won't find much VR content with its level of polish and detail

begin with Quest demos: First Steps, Superhot, Space Pirate Trainer, Bogo. Great nausea-free intros to VR.

CloudNull

Banned
I'd not begin with Alyx, not only because motion sickness but also because you won't find much VR content with its level of polish and detail

begin with Quest demos: First Steps, Superhot, Space Pirate Trainer, Bogo. Great nausea-free intros to VR.
I agree. Wait until you have your vr legs before jumping in to Alyx. It will ruin you to all other vr games and would suck to ruin it with motion sickness.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
I think gamers of a certain age, who grew up with atari and spectrums, amigas, this was science fiction to us as kids, so when you first try it, its like a nostalgic light bulb moment. it was for me, VR was my childhoods wildest dream, and now its a reality.
You know what, as someone who had a Spectrum rubber key jobee, and spent Christmas Day 1983 playing Jetpac on a B&W TV slack jawed, I want that tingly feeling again, because nothing has come close since.

So, yeah, this old fart, is looking forward to trying it out properly.

Last edited:
I agree. Wait until you have your vr legs before jumping in to Alyx. It will ruin you to all other vr games and would suck to ruin it with motion sickness.
Completely disagree. You might as well get the mind blowing wow factor at maximum effect rather than when you're used to VR.

Also I find that motion sickness thing to be way over blown. I've barely ever had any of it at all and jumped right into VR with all the comfort settings turned off on all games. I use a rift though so don't know if that's different.

You know what, as someone who had a Spectrum rubber key jobee, and spent Christmas Day 1983 playing Jetpac on a B&W TV slack jawed, I want that tingly feeling again, because nothing has come close since.

So, yeah, this old fart, is looking forward to trying it out properly.

you're in for quite a shock

I seriously suggest you try Superhot demo right away. Great nausea-free immersion that immediately shows you what VR is about, it also has a retro look that will ring a bell with your and mine 80s tastes...

you're in for quite a shock

I seriously suggest you try Superhot demo right away. Great nausea-free immersion that immediately shows you what VR is about, it also has a retro look that will ring a bell with your and mine 80s tastes...
I second superhot. It might be my favourite vr game, above Alyx. It really showcases what it's about and is the only game that has had me rolling on the floor 'behind cover'. I still find it mind blowing that in VR you can actually hide behind things with your body rather than just press a button and watch it on a screen.

Foilz

Banned
I bought my 13 yr old nephew an.oculus so we can mini golf and play pokemon vr. After 5 hours Facebook's Locked his account due to suspicious behavior. His mom made him a FB account just for oculus. It says he has to provide ID 🤷🏻‍♂️ he's 13

I bought my 13 yr old nephew an.oculus so we can mini golf and play pokemon vr. After 5 hours Facebook's Locked his account due to suspicious behavior. His mom made him a FB account just for oculus. It says he has to provide ID 🤷🏻‍♂️ he's 13

They clearly fucked up with this forceful and not well thought out integration. The Wii never had stupid issues with login... they made a VR console and then are locking away a large part of the audience...

Inspired by Ico and Rime, Mare is coming to Quest soon:

though it's just another third person platformer it seems

Last edited:

Arsic

Gold Member
What are the thoughts of Lone Echo and Stormland ?

I was going to pick one up to play before/after Alyx.

Moochi

I've been playing a lot of Pistol Whip. It's like beat saber with a pistol, is what people like to say, but I think that's a little too simplistic. The aim assist makes makes you feel like John Wick on an acid trip doing gun kata. My brother, ex-border patrol agent, tried to dive roll IRL and luckily did not harm the headset.

This might sound like, the fucking of noobish questions. But on a scale, how much better is the Quest from something like Cardboard?

3DoF cardboard is not even VR - it's 3D glasses viewer in 360 degrees around you. well, already an evolution from old 0DoF 3D monochrome glasses "Virtual" Boy...

lefty1117

Gold Member
Has anyone tried any of the big PC VR games with this thing hooked up via the cable ... I'm talking games like Elite Dangerous, MS Flight Simulator, Star Wars Squadrons ?

Top Bottom