• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
For the people here with a Quest, I’m looking at purchasing one. Can it be used connected to my PC? Does it make it more “powerful” once connected to the PC? Or basically what advantages are there to connecting it to my pc over using it stand alone? And am I better going for the Rift S or Quest? If I did go the Quest, do I go for 64 gb model or more space?
With the correct pc it makes it crazy good.
64 GB is plenty. Native quest games are crazy smol

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Bought that Red Matter during the sale. Not only is it a brilliant game it really does show off how good the native graphics can be on a OC2. Very impressive. Looks like a PCVR game.

Question for you guys here, I've finally started to get to grips with all the virtual desktop / sidequest / steamVR mumbo jumbo. Now I can play HL Alyx wirelessly. I also have Superhot VR in my steam library, can I side load that onto the quest so I don't need my PC at all? Or am I stuck with needing the PC next to me for all my steam VR games? Which I suppose makes buying direct from the Oculus store the smarter option right?

For the people here with a Quest, I’m looking at purchasing one. Can it be used connected to my PC? Does it make it more “powerful” once connected to the PC? Or basically what advantages are there to connecting it to my pc over using it stand alone? And am I better going for the Rift S or Quest? If I did go the Quest, do I go for 64 gb model or more space?

Yes, yes, more games and graphics, Rift is dead, that's up to you (fits a bit over a dozen games and demos on my 64GB model and if you intend mostly pc games, you won't use it anyway)

Question for you guys here, I've finally started to get to grips with all the virtual desktop / sidequest / steamVR mumbo jumbo. Now I can play HL Alyx wirelessly. I also have Superhot VR in my steam library, can I side load that onto the quest so I don't need my PC at all? Or am I stuck with needing the PC next to me for all my steam VR games? Which I suppose makes buying direct from the Oculus store the smarter option right?

obviously you need native Quest versions of games to run standalone, Superhot among them. there's a Superhot demo on the store, it's one of the highest resolution games on Quest thanks to its PS1 graphics

All I see is the quest advertised.
well, this is the Quest thread after all

you should try Alexios Alexios pcvr thread instead, if you can stand daily tweet dumps of mostly minigames

but Quest is fully pcvr compatible, without even needing cables if you have good wifi router. Quest native games are not just casual minigames, but still you can use a pc to play the likes of Skyrim or Dirt Rally indeed

MultiCore

So what would you suggest for someone who has a beefy pc but doesn't want to spend valve index crazy prices? Is there an alternative to the quest? All I see is the quest advertised. I just really want to try out some skyrim, fallout, half-life, etc.. Don't care for casual phone games. Anything in the 300-400 range, or is quest 2 it?

Also how are these things for people who wear glasses?
If you're stuck on that price range, I'd honestly try to find a used CV1 or Vive.

The G2 is taking preorders of you can spend a could hundred more if you want the best resolution outside of Pimax.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
well, this is the Quest thread after all

you should try Alexios Alexios pcvr thread instead, if you can stand daily tweet dumps of mostly minigames

but Quest is fully pcvr compatible, without even needing cables if you have good wifi router. Quest native games are not just casual minigames, but still you can use a pc to play the likes of Skyrim or Dirt Rally indeed
First you ridiculed the concept of VR I/others praised, after getting VR you ridicule anything that isn't as flat crap (like ignorant retards ridiculed 2D when 3D came but here we adult gamers still enjoy great 2D games, similarly adults who love VR also enjoy great flat games). 1/1. Later you also claimed you didn't like the idea of classic games in VR others/I praised, Doom, Half-Life, RTCW, Quake, etc. just because their graphics aren't AAA, after finally playing some you hail them as the best/better than new VR games. 2/2. Finally, you keep talking shit about PC VR only having mini games while knowing you don't even read into or try any. That's 3/3 even though you don't know just yet, lol. Among other crap you do like claim anyone with complaints about Medal of Honor (which you haven't played) is a kid raised on Wii mini games (again ignoring its great catalogue, or how games like Red Steel 2 are the precursor to modern VR games, but that's going off topic) and only you can appreciate its AAA goodness as the only adult on GAF (the only one acting like a 12 year old, yes), which makes no sense given the target specs/audience. It's safe to say you're always wrong about shit but still press your badly informed opinions as facts and opposers as wrong, then do an 180° to the opposite extreme when/if you're enlightened. Is it hard to say, "I love MoH" (after playing) and add why instead of call those who don't like it out? Just stop. PC VR doesn't only have mini games, nor do I mostly post about such (you often later pimp the same games if they have/get Quest ports). Why speak of and tag me, retard? Edit: truths trigger you, yes.
So it's pointless coming here and crapping how outdated Quest graphics are when pcvr is not exactly thriving in AAA experiences and lots of them have PS2 graphics anyway
Wtf? I never talked shit about (Quest 1/2) graphics, at most I have said this or that port seems bad, while mentioning better. That's on the game, not the platform which I never discounted or put down as you do PC VR (without experiencing it). As far as graphics are concerned, you're the one going on about AAA this or that knowing there are few AAA VR games, you're the one bsing about PC VR in a Quest thread just to pimp the Quest not on its merits but PC VR's downfall like ignorant console fanboys talk about flat PC, I'm among those who pushed the retro game VR ports not just for Quest but PC too, I'm against the idea MoH's AAA production values are the be all end all for VR as you claim, I was here positive about the platform when you were still ridiculing all of VR and only left the thread because I have too much to post about PC VR to also handle all the side/Quest projects, though if I notice something I post about in the PC VR thread applies I occasionally repost here now the thread is a bit more active with belated nooblets like you finally realising VR is as great as I've been saying, if nobody has already (and you often repost it later). It's clear then graphics are the last thing I care about. Now you mention/tag me to troll then claim I'm "coming here" to crap on it just because I replied? Lol!

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Its amazing. A really chill game and a perfect VR experience, which in my opinion are the games with a slow pace where there's a lot of "hand interaction". And its a perfect time to buy it since is on sale with a 33% discount.

I just bought Red Matter, which seems to be a similar game and has great reviews. Have you played it? If so, how would you rate it vs The Room?

CloudNull

Banned
I just bought Red Matter, which seems to be a similar game and has great reviews. Have you played it? If so, how would you rate it vs The Room?

I would also like to know this. The Room was freaking amazing but I just bought Red Matter. I haven’t started it yet but I’ll let you know in a couple days if no one else has a comparison.

My expectation is Red Matter will have better environments while the room has the better puzzles.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I would also like to know this. The Room was freaking amazing but I just bought Red Matter. I haven’t started it yet but I’ll let you know in a couple days if no one else has a comparison.

My expectation is Red Matter will have better environments while the room has the better puzzles.

Alright, cool. I'll look into getting The Room a bit later. I really enjoy those "hands on" experiences, that's really what VR does best. But right now I have a full plate of stuff to play, so I'll wait a bit.

first you claimed you didn't like the idea of classic games in VR people recommended like Doom, Half-Life, Doom 3, RTCW, Quake, etc., just cos their graphics aren't modern AAA good and shit, then when you finally played some of them hail them as some of the best shit ever in VR and better than actual VR game output. Now you keep talking shit about PC VR saying all it has is mini games

stop cracking all those nuts, pal

I only complained about Doom being too outdated with sprites and all - still cool thanks to great level design and non-stop action, but in VR I still prefer Quake. And going through both HL1 and RTCW

anyone who glances over your pcvr thread sees daily tweet dums on lots of indie minigames, that's all in the menu. So it's pointless coming here and crapping how outdated Quest graphics are when pcvr is not exactly thriving in AAA experiences and lots of them have PS2 graphics anyway :messenger_tears_of_joy:

cheers

Buggy Loop

While waiting for my headset, I bought Half life Alyx. Super hot seems to be a no brainer to buy on oculus store to play it with the headset, but what about Saints and Sinners? Steam or oculus?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
While waiting for my headset, I bought Half life Alyx. Super hot seems to be a no brainer to buy on oculus store to play it with the headset, but what about Saints and Sinners? Steam or oculus?

Don't forget Beat Saber, unless you absolutely hate music/rhythm games. Quest version is great, and it's not really a game about graphics (but it does look good).

CloudNull

Banned
Oculus store. It’s cross buy if you buy from there. You can play in the Quest store and later connect to the pc wirelessly or tethered and run it from there. Steam won’t give you this functionality.

Last edited:

Romulus

Saints and Sinners, Alyx, Superhot, and Asgard Wrath are absolutely essential VR must-plays.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Saints and Sinners, Alyx, Superhot, and Asgard Wrath are absolutely essential VR must-plays.

I think you forgot something

virtual reality news GIF by NowThis

JK, (or am I?). No seriously, bring on the suggestions, I’m so hyped for half life already, very excited for VR.

CloudNull

Banned
I’m so hyped for half life already, very excited for VR.
I do recommend getting your vr legs before playing half life and then turn off snap turning. I feel this helps the immersion.

I also recommend The Room. That is my second favorite VR game currently followed by Asgard’s Wrath.

I think you forgot something

virtual reality news GIF by NowThis

JK, (or am I?). No seriously, bring on the suggestions, I’m so hyped for half life already, very excited for VR.
I've only just started playing vr this week and initially found echo arena, which is free, a great showcase for graphics and immersive movement. It really feels as if you're weightless in a spaceship.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I do recommend getting your vr legs before playing half life and then turn off snap turning. I feel this helps the immersion.

I also recommend The Room. That is my second favorite VR game currently followed by Asgard’s Wrath.
I always keep snap turning on, not because it makes me sick but because artificial turning is sort of immersion breaking either way and snap turning feels more comfortable. Turning my body is always the best option.

Wonko_C

I always keep snap turning on, not because it makes me sick but because artificial turning is sort of immersion breaking either way and snap turning feels more comfortable. Turning my body is always the best option.
While I do play 99% of the games with smooth turn (because it's easier to control for me), I feel you're onto something in here. When I turn around in real life it kinda resembles snap turn in a way, I feel like I subconsciously blink my eyes every time I quickly turn my head around. Maybe it's just me though.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
Hmmm.... this makes sense. I’ve never really given it a fair shake. Soon as I got my legs it become the first thing I started to disable in all games.

Might be that I normally game in my chair instead of standing. I still have decent play area and can still turn fast In my chair if needed but mostly use my head for searching and the sticks for movement. Makes me realize that people probably all have their own unique setup that works best for them.

DapperSloth

How is the Quest 2 compared to the HTC Vice and Valve Index if anyone has tried those? I know the Valve Index has the best controllers and gripping out of all three and the HTC Vive is like the middle child but Valve Index is like 999$ lol. I want to play Alyx and really get immersive. Don't know though what kind of computer you would need for Valve Index and Oculus Quest 2.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How is the Quest 2 compared to the HTC Vice and Valve Index if anyone has tried those? I know the Valve Index has the best controllers and gripping out of all three and the HTC Vive is like the middle child but Valve Index is like 999$ lol. I want to play Alyx and really get immersive. Don't know though what kind of computer you would need for Valve Index and Oculus Quest 2.
Oculus still makes the best overall VR controllers imo, ever since the original Oculus Rift CV1 in 2016 (with little iteration since), even if they don't have the fanciest finger tracking tech implemented on them or anything yet. It's probably why every other company seems to be copying them, Microsoft, HP, HTC with the Cosmos line (but they all aren't as good still). I wouldn't say the Vive is the middle at all, I think every Vive owner should upgrade to the Index controllers, the wands are just meh in both features and comfort, they were just the first. For specs just look at the various game requirements, different kits might vary a little in how much performance they suck up to function for their different technology but in general it's the same, like flat games don't write different specs based on your brand and software for your keyboard and mouse. Though certain games made for Index finger tracking first and foremost with just token support for other VR kits tend to have some off feeling to them when used with Oculus (and other) controllers that's on them, not the controllers. Ie, the default hand pose in Alyx is a flat hand with all fingers outstretched, which doesn't feel natural when you're holding a controller so have your own palm curved up mismatching that and it also almost fully bends the index finger as soon as you touch that trigger, rather than when you actually press it all the way in (because it's touch sensitive) so you end up walking around with this as your default pose :messenger_ok:(when not holding anything) if you don't conciously avoid touching it but that's on the game/SteamVR not translating the inputs well. Of course the game plays fine anyway, they properly only have you shoot if you press the trigger in rather than just touch it and I just willed my fingers (that don't hold the controller in place) open to match the game instead of the opposite when idle, lol. It's minor bs they could easily fix but don't. The opposite can be true too, with games made first and foremost for Oculus having finicky grabbing/handling on Index.

Last edited:
Might be that I normally game in my chair instead of standing. I still have decent play area and can still turn fast In my chair if needed but mostly use my head for searching and the sticks for movement. Makes me realize that people probably all have their own unique setup that works best for them.

On psvr, I played sitting but now without cables I play standing.

However, these days I was at my sister's house and there was not much space to play. However, there was a swivel chair, so I started a static guardian system and played Quake while sitting and spinning around. You know what? Not bad at all :messenger_tears_of_joy:

JoduanER2

I have it as well, the room is far far better. Not that is a bad game but the room is amazing. Just bough Lies beneath, its supposed to be really good.

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned
I have it as well, the room is far far better. Not that is a bad game but the room is amazing. Just bough Lies beneath, its supposed to be really good.

Let me know what you think of Lies Beneath. I want to pick it up but I have been hesitant.

I agree Red Matter is fantastic game but The Room is better. Something about the atmosphere and how hands on it is really suck you into the world. Also, you can tell Red Matter is an old game developed when VR was first figuring out what makes the game immersive. The visuals for Red Matter are incredible though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Fiiine, just bought The Room as well. And In Death Unchained.

Now I just need more hours in the day.

Last edited:

GloveSlap

Tried my nephews Quest 1 over Christmas and really enjoyed it. The only weird part was that it was hard to resist throwing the whole controller when throwing things in Super Hot. Some kind of glove controller would be sweet in that game.

Interested in grabbing a Quest 2. Is it hard to find now? I saw stacks of them near the register at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago, but now all local stores seem sold out according to the website inventory checker. Really trying to get it at Target since i have gift cards, anyone know if Target normally carries it in-store?

Romulus

Tried my nephews Quest 1 over Christmas and really enjoyed it. The only weird part was that it was hard to resist throwing the whole controller when throwing things in Super Hot. Some kind of glove controller would be sweet in that game.

Interested in grabbing a Quest 2. Is it hard to find now? I saw stacks of them near the register at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago, but now all local stores seem sold out according to the website inventory checker. Really trying to get it at Target since i have gift cards, anyone know if Target normally carries it in-store?

Not sure about availability at the moment near you, but they're sold out in my area.

But you will get used to things like wanting to throw the controller. It becomes 2nd nature after a while.

Hari Seldon

This thing seems like the default present for gamers whose gift buyers could not find a PS5 haha. As an index owner, my wife got me one (cause no PS5) just to have something big to open. This is serious tech wizardry. Since my home office is destroyed cause of WFH crap, my index only gets used for stationary games. Being able to use this wirelessly in my game room means I can actually play the bigger roomscale games. The tracking is freakin amazing considering no base stations. This is honestly one of the best pieces of tech I have ever owned.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I picked up a Quest 2 just a couple days before Xmas and we've been playing any time we can. I love the fact it's wireless and standalone. Got it setup for Virtual Desktop using the Cas and Chary VR tutorials. It's fucking unreal to stand on the edge of a cliff and look down in something like QuiVr.

I'm not really a huge VR guy, but the Quest 2 being wireless and such high quality will make a believer out of anyone.

Let me know what you think of Lies Beneath. I want to pick it up but I have been hesitant.

I agree Red Matter is fantastic game but The Room is better. Something about the atmosphere and how hands on it is really suck you into the world. Also, you can tell Red Matter is an old game developed when VR was first figuring out what makes the game immersive. The visuals for Red Matter are incredible though.
Lies Beneath is amazing. One of my favorites out of ~60 games Ive bought off the Oculus store. But a warning: It gets surprisingly...intense. lol

CloudNull

Banned
Lies Beneath is amazing. One of my favorites out of ~60 games Ive bought off the Oculus store. But a warning: It gets surprisingly...intense. lol

I bought it before you replied and I was writing this earlier before something came up. Just posting it now:

“I bought Lies Beneath and it will probably be in my top 3 vr games. I have come to realize there is a certain immersion that I can feel immediately when firing up a game.

Currently Half Life, The Room and Lies Beneath are the only games that have done it for me. Saints and sinners, Red Matter, Lone Echo and Asgard’s Wrath are great games but don’t pull me in. Lone Echo had a great atmosphere but bored me to death. Red Matter I will come back to eventually and Asgard’s Wrath felt like an rpg that would have been just as good on a PC.”

Anyways, that fucking shack level killed me and I had to lower the difficulty. I felt like I failed at life but I was getting too angry. Cannot wait to finish the game and the art style is fantastic.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I just picked up Red Matter for 13 dollars on the Oculus store. For some reason the Rift s version is cheaper than the Quest version.

Also picked up Lone Echo but sadly no discount.
Can I buy games from the rift store and they will work on quest?

CloudNull

Banned
Can I buy games from the rift store and they will work on quest?

Only if they are cross buy games. For example Red Matter is not but The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is.

When the game is cross buy you can buy it on any Oculus store and have it show up for both stores. Cross buy is becoming the standard but still a lot of games don’t do it, mostly older games.I think it’s just because everything in VR is changing fast. If you are going to buy a game just search to see if it has cross buy functionality.

Last edited:
already wasted tons of money on Quest games, hoping my account doesn't get banned someday

anyway, was feeling the need of a puzzler and already finished Red Matter on psvr, Myst is too new, expensive and needs a few updates and The Room is still a bit pricey. So finally got Shadow Point, heard good things about it, including solid hours length and narration by Sir Patrick Stewart - I think also same studio by recent Jurassic Park game and an Oculus exclusive

hollams

Gold Member
Really enjoying Down the Rabbit Hole and I keep smiling the more I play. The voice acting is pretty good and it has some decent humor. I like the diorama aspect, then when you switch into 1st person mode it's really cool.

Tried Lies beneath and the sound went out 5 minutes into it. I liked the comic book aspect of the story.

CloudNull

Banned
It seems a lot of new people are getting in on VR and I wanted to share this aggregate site which focuses on VR games only. It can be hard to know which games really are top tier going off Oculus/Steam reviews.

I recommend people trying any games that seem like they might interest you. There are some low rated games that I have really enjoyed. Of course the highest rated game is Half Life.

Also there are many free games on side quest that don’t show up on any of the review sites.

Last edited:
Top Bottom