• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

CloudNull

Banned
What Do You Want GIF by Lil Jon

CloudNull

Banned
I just picked up Red Matter for 13 dollars on the Oculus store. For some reason the Rift s version is cheaper than the Quest version.

Also picked up Lone Echo but sadly no discount.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
I just picked up Red Matter for 13 dollars on the Oculus store. For some reason the Rift s version is cheaper than the Quest version.

Everything is more expensive on the oculus quest store unfortunately

Last edited:

yeah, need to check both stores and check the Rift one has Quest compatibility too

many discounts, but mostly old games I already played on psvr

well, I did get Walkabout Mini Golf, mostly to let my father have some fun

as for me, just pretend to keep improving in the In Death Unchained championship

CloudNull

Banned
yeah, need to check both stores and check the Rift one has Quest compatibility too

many discounts, but mostly old games I already played on psvr

well, I did get Walkabout Mini Golf, mostly to let my father have some fun

as for me, just pretend to keep improving in the In Death Unchained championship

Death Unchained is in next my list. Just loaded up Lone Echo ReD Matter and Until you Fall.

Is Death Unchained worth it? It was top of my list but after The Room I wanted more VR Experiences so it got bumped to the back.

Death Unchained is in next my list. Just loaded up Lone Echo ReD Matter and Until you Fall.

Is Death Unchained worth it? It was top of my list but after The Room I wanted more VR Experiences so it got bumped to the back.

In Death Unchained is basically Dark Souls VR with a ranged build - it's only bow or crossbow. It's brutal difficulty and requires a lot of real skill and physical endurance - aiming your bow and pulling that cord countless times do get your arms tired by the end.

The best bow physics in VR, as Skyrim has no weight and Rec Room is too kiddy (but still quite good). Actually, I think Shadow Legend got an edge over it, but you almost don't have a chance to use the bow.

It has 2 main modes now, the rogue-like main campaign in procedurally generated maps and the new Siege of Heaven dlc which is basically a simplified tower defense with you defending the tower against countless foes coming in 15 waves... this is for short sessions, but by the end of it you'll be covered in blood, I mean, sweat. This mode has right now an ongoing championship for a chance to win a Quest 2 if you make it to the top 1000. It's crowded already and the top scores are completely unbelievable... these people must be elves...

I love it.

CloudNull

Banned
Any reviews on the quest 2 after now after a couple months of usage?
Buy one. I rarely play any “normal” games now a days. Only Cyberpunk pulled me away from Vr.

Spec wise I would argue you would be hard to find another peace of tech with a better bang for buck as the Quest 2. There are many Quest games that are incredible on their own. The fact you can buy a cord and connect it to a strong enough pc then enjoy the very best VR has to offer is incredible.... or you can even go the wireless route which is even better.

Oculus really designed something incredible with the Quest 2.

Last edited:

same as day one: it's just awesome

I use it as a VR console (no pc) to play games anywhere at any moment. It's absolutely great that way, though the library is still pretty small to me that have already played most of the old VR titles ported and don't care for most of the multiplayer arenas or minigames that Facebook insists on...

tempted to buy Apex Construct again right now on sale just to check the port against psvr. Back then, in early 2018, it was one of the very few worthwhile made for VR action-adventure games with a progression. I liked it.

Moochi

I've been playing the Virtual Boy emulator through SideQuest. I always wanted to play the Wario game, and to my surprise it is actually good! It looks and plays great despite the limited color palette. I was particularly impressed by the swinging mace things that swing from the background to the foreground, and by Wario's movement and animations. I'm looking forward to trying some of the others. There's a bullet hell shmup I played for a few minutes that's like 1942 except you can fly in different height layers. All in all, it's been a very comfortable and fun seated experience on the Quest 2.

The other game I've been spending time in is way more active, also from SideQuest: Hyperdash. This game is so good. It's got online deathmatch, ctf, payload, etc. The graphics remind me of an old nerf unreal death match game, but they're easy on the eyes. If you have a large enough space you can never use the right stick to turn--just turn your body for facing. This is important, because I am disabled irl and have balance issues. I can't turn my head left and right easily, but I can swivel my whole body around and get some exercise while getting screamed at by 11 year olds in Washington D.C. for corner camping with snipers and shotguns. It's also great.

draliko

I have a psvr and sincerely didn't impress me much, you think it's worth jumping onto the quest bandwagon? The thing I hated most was the cable clutter and the low resolution... But I must say things like beat saber really seem fun

JoduanER2

I have a psvr and sincerely didn't impress me much, you think it's worth jumping onto the quest bandwagon? The thing I hated most was the cable clutter and the low resolution... But I must say things like beat saber really seem fun

For me it has been a completely different experience. The resolution change from PSVR to Oculus Quest 2 is a gamechanger, and no cables, playing outside, with no sun of course, is marvelous. Also if you have a gaming PC, playing with virtual desktop is the cherry on top.

Last edited:

VR on psvr impressed me much right away with Job Simulator in the demo disc. Because instead of overhyped I was very weary of it being just a casual toy like Wii/Kinect and was actually buying for my daughter - so positively impressed when it showed much more than minigames and in the experience itself. The drop in resolution and graphics didn't bother because I've been playing since the atari and was used to far worse graphics and resolution in older times. Cable clutter was also not an issue because it was cluttered behind the tv.

Still Q2 is a veritable upgrade in every way, except game library (unless you have a pc). Cable clutter never annoyed me on psvr, but the fact that cable comes in the way and prevents you from freely moving is one of the issues Quest solved. You can move freely anywhere in your play area and you can bring it with you and draw play areas basically everywhere. Zero setup, total freedom, small but growing library of games running natively.

yes, display resolution is much higher than psvr, but game resolution rarely goes that high, it's well within psvr on Pro, which is already damn impressive for a mobile chip.

I've not played psvr since Quest, not sure I'm going back there, though there are still some games in my backlog to finish. I'd honestly just buy those games if available on Quest, but unlikely for Skyrim or Borderlands... still, just bought Apex Construct again - some simplified textures (notably metallic) and same resolution as Pro, but robot ragdolls seem to stay around after defeated and computer screens are much more legible without the weird shimmering on psvr... plus, no cables, you can turn your own body, you can dodge more easily without losing tracking etc.

Foilz

Banned
I've had it since launch and it's AWESOME!! The ability to use it mobile or pcvr makes it hands down the best vr set available. Pc vr wirelessly using VD trounces everything else on the market. The software has improved alot and they've already unlocked the 90hz mode. GET IT! And then download side quest

Last edited:
the usual narrative in VR circles: old gamers with enough money to spare on niche product being blown away like ever since NES or PS1

the current boring flatgaming console upgrade model is not doing it anymore for guys like us, who rediscovered the true meaning of nextgen

nemiroff

Gold Member
eh it's fine. Mine use it and they are just fine.

Yeah my six year old too. It's just 10 min now and then, and always monitoring. Only thing to worry about is wrong IPD which can induce a little discomfort, and is not good when long sessions. It was worse with the first VR headsets a few years ago without PoS tracking and with low update, I wouldn't put a child in those.. I got really sick from the Oculus DK1, lasted for more than 4 days..

draliko

VR on psvr impressed me much right away with Job Simulator in the demo disc. Because instead of overhyped I was very weary of it being just a casual toy like Wii/Kinect and was actually buying for my daughter - so positively impressed when it showed much more than minigames and in the experience itself. The drop in resolution and graphics didn't bother because I've been playing since the atari and was used to far worse graphics and resolution in older times. Cable clutter was also not an issue because it was cluttered behind the tv.

Still Q2 is a veritable upgrade in every way, except game library (unless you have a pc). Cable clutter never annoyed me on psvr, but the fact that cable comes in the way and prevents you from freely moving is one of the issues Quest solved. You can move freely anywhere in your play area and you can bring it with you and draw play areas basically everywhere. Zero setup, total freedom, small but growing library of games running natively.

yes, display resolution is much higher than psvr, but game resolution rarely goes that high, it's well within psvr on Pro, which is already damn impressive for a mobile chip.

I've not played psvr since Quest, not sure I'm going back there, though there are still some games in my backlog to finish. I'd honestly just buy those games if available on Quest, but unlikely for Skyrim or Borderlands... still, just bought Apex Construct again - some simplified textures (notably metallic) and same resolution as Pro, but robot ragdolls seem to stay around after defeated and computer screens are much more legible without the weird shimmering on psvr... plus, no cables, you can turn your own body, you can dodge more easily without losing tracking etc.
Thanks for the info, yeah cable free gaming is what actually interest me the most, I also have a decent pc (r5 3600 and 5700xt)so I could use it on that too (elite seems fun in vr). Psvr was fun, and the game library is good enough but the moves controller cost is simply stupid and not worth it, and as I said the ability to play wireless would probably get my wife into it too🤣🤣😅😁

CloudNull

Banned
Thanks for the info, yeah cable free gaming is what actually interest me the most, I also have a decent pc (r5 3600 and 5700xt)so I could use it on that too (elite seems fun in vr). Psvr was fun, and the game library is good enough but the moves controller cost is simply stupid and not worth it, and as I said the ability to play wireless would probably get my wife into it too🤣🤣😅😁

You have the exact same build as me. Get it. Playing Half Life Alyx and The Room wirelessly has been one of the greatest gaming moments of my life. Been gaming since the Sega Gensis.

Half life is easily a top 5 game of all time. I can’t play flat gaming anymore.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

You guys are tempting me.

Half life Alyx for sure would be the main reason, but actually, I was wondering, for “sitting” experiences from sim games like Dirt Rally, Elite dangerous and I guess Flight sim 2020, the headset by itself with the cable is super fine? It has better resolution than the Index??

You guys are tempting me.

Half life Alyx for sure would be the main reason, but actually, I was wondering, for “sitting” experiences from sim games like Dirt Rally, Elite dangerous and I guess Flight sim 2020, the headset by itself with the cable is super fine? It has better resolution than the Index??

resolution was reasonable enough even on a usb 2.0 cable I used to test, certainly better with a link cable or usb 3.0...

Gaming pc is my daughter's so I can't really touch it except when she's not home. But just in case, I couldn't miss Dirt Rally 2.0 on sale on Steam - first one was a treat on psvr. Ready to go when she's not around :messenger_tears_of_joy:

How big are the native store wireless games taking on the headset? 64GB’s plenty for a dozen games?

I have about 13GB free with a couple demos and these full games: Apex Construct, Dash Dash World, Rec Room, Angry Birds: Isle of Pigs, In Death Unchained, Path of the Warrior, SW Tales from the Galaxy's Edge (largest at almost 6GB) and classics Quake 1, Quake 2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Half-Life 1. There are also other Sidequest games, including Pavlov...

all in all, if you keep the discipline of deleting games you've finished, there's plenty of space for a reasonable library

Last edited:

MultiCore

Since people have asked for some impressions, I bought and returned a Quest 2.

I have CV1 and PSVR, and I've had every version of Gear VR and spent a dozen hours with a Vive.

For me, it's not there as a wired experience, which was my only interest.

It's a great standalone experience though, for people for whom that's the primary draw.

Link just couldn't cut it, Virtual Desktop either. Black levels are a big compromise on the unit. Playing Thumper on Q2 vs CV1 was a huge letdown. The resolution is nice, but for me, it didn't fit my needs.

Played some Phasmophobia wireless tonight.

Fucking amazing (and terrifying). The simple graphics really come to life in VR. Too bad the teleportation system is a bit janky.

Since people have asked for some impressions, I bought and returned a Quest 2.

I have CV1 and PSVR, and I've had every version of Gear VR and spent a dozen hours with a Vive.

For me, it's not there as a wired experience, which was my only interest.

It's a great standalone experience though, for people for whom that's the primary draw.

Link just couldn't cut it, Virtual Desktop either. Black levels are a big compromise on the unit. Playing Thumper on Q2 vs CV1 was a huge letdown. The resolution is nice, but for me, it didn't fit my needs.
So what would you suggest for someone who has a beefy pc but doesn't want to spend valve index crazy prices? Is there an alternative to the quest? All I see is the quest advertised. I just really want to try out some skyrim, fallout, half-life, etc.. Don't care for casual phone games. Anything in the 300-400 range, or is quest 2 it?

Also how are these things for people who wear glasses?

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Alright I'll bite the bullet and get it. Do I have to buy that $100 (CAD) cable to play PCVR?
You could try running it wireless via Virtual Desktop. You could also look into this:

So what would you suggest for someone who has a beefy pc but doesn't want to spend valve index crazy prices? Is there an alternative to the quest? All I see is the quest advertised. I just really want to try out some skyrim, fallout, half-life, etc.. Don't care for casual phone games. Anything in the 300-400 range, or is quest 2 it?

Last edited:

CloudNull

Banned

I wear glasses every item I play the quest 2. I use it mostly for pcvr gaming as well but the only other headset I had was Quest 1. For the price I have no complaints but I do get the complaints about the blacks although it doesn’t bother me.

Buggy Loop

Well, bought tonight. 64GB version, on Best Buy Canada. Should be here by January 4th. Bought an usb-C cable too.

I had tested the initial oculus SDK1 a game producer friend of mine had from his job back years and years ago. I remember liking it but the screen door effect was bleh. Can’t wait to see how things have evolved.

CloudNull

Banned
Well, bought tonight. 64GB version, on Best Buy Canada. Should be here by January 4th. Bought an usb-C cable too.

I had tested the initial oculus SDK1 a game producer friend of mine had from his job back years and years ago. I remember liking it but the screen door effect was bleh. Can’t wait to see how things have evolved.
The screen door effect upgrade between Quest 1 to Quest 2 was massive. I couldn’t imagine the difference from the SDK. I would love to hear your thoughts after you spend some time with it.

And
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member

The DK1 was at time a torture device because it very easily induced motion sickness.. It didn't even have proper position tracking. I'm glad that time is over, because it's completely different times now. I don't know for sure but I think the SDE is basically gone in the Quest 2. Same thing in my Reverb G2 it's completely invisible, so good we're finally here..

Last edited:

LQX

Virtual Desktop is on sale on the Oculus storefront but also cheaper on Steam. Can the Steam version be used with oculus or would the one you buy on the Oculus storefront be required to play games from Steam?

The screen door effect upgrade between Quest 1 to Quest 2 was massive. I couldn’t imagine the difference from the SDK. I would love to hear your thoughts after you spend some time with it.

And
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC
I can't speak on the Quest 2, but I also played on an SDK1 in, I want to say 2015(?) and I have a Rift S and the difference is quite large so I imagine it's even bigger with the Quest 2.
I've been playing the Virtual Boy emulator through SideQuest. I always wanted to play the Wario game, and to my surprise it is actually good! It looks and plays great despite the limited color palette. I was particularly impressed by the swinging mace things that swing from the background to the foreground, and by Wario's movement and animations. I'm looking forward to trying some of the others. There's a bullet hell shmup I played for a few minutes that's like 1942 except you can fly in different height layers. All in all, it's been a very comfortable and fun seated experience on the Quest 2.
I've been wanting to try this for a while. Wario Land and Mario Tennis were the only Virtual Boy games I ever owned and my VB is basically dead now, thank god for emulation.

I got an used first gen Oculus rift CV1 on eBay with two touch controllers and two sensors for only £150. Works fantastically well. Sure, it has a cable but that's fine. I'm loving so many vr games now, superhot, half life, beat saber, outer wilds. So many to sink my teeth into.

MacReady13

For the people here with a Quest, I’m looking at purchasing one. Can it be used connected to my PC? Does it make it more “powerful” once connected to the PC? Or basically what advantages are there to connecting it to my pc over using it stand alone? And am I better going for the Rift S or Quest? If I did go the Quest, do I go for 64 gb model or more space?

Top Bottom