• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

Tygeezy

Thanks bud, just redeemed
I got to play for about 30 minutes last night and it was a blast. I can tell i'm really going to love this game. The shooting mechanics is very crispy and the simple graphics look great in my opinion. The one great thing about the lower end graphics is we get higher resolution and less issues with aliasing and blur in general.

Tygeezy

So what’s everyone rocking these days, too 3 games or so? I’ve been digging into Red Matter 2, into the radius, ancient dungeon, and bone lab on quest pro.
I played through bonelab and i'm probably going to wait to comes back to it once we have some better mods. Ancient dungeon is a game I can always play and they just announced multiplayer for it! That game will be awesome in co-op. I would say the three I will be playing is Compound, Ancient Dungeon and Demeo.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
So what’s everyone rocking these days, too 3 games or so? I’ve been digging into Red Matter 2, into the radius, ancient dungeon, and bone lab on quest pro.
Flight Sim, Dirt Rally 2.0, Contractors

Haven't been playing too much standalone although I have been taking advantage of the virtual big screens to watch movies and TV while traveling instead of relying on crappy hotel TVs.

Beechos

On standalone it might be awhile yet. We will see what the leap on quest 3 is and how long it takes devs to get up to speed. psvr2 it's going to be immediately.
I dont know so far only horizon looks like a step up. Im afraid its mostly going to be the same 1% of games that will stand out. The simple ps2 era and below graphics really break the vr immersion for me.

Better graphics are already doable on quest 2 its the devs putting the time and money to create better looking assets.

Last edited:

Tygeezy

I dont know so far only horizon looks like a step up. Im afraid its mostly going to be the same 1% of games that will stand out. The simple ps2 era and below graphics really break the vr immersion for me.

Better graphics are already doable on quest 2 its the devs putting the time and money to create better looking assets.
You have resident Evil village as well.

poppabk

Mobile hardware pushing 4K60 up to 4K120 is always going to require some major cuts to graphical fidelity. There are plenty of amazing looking VR games, you are just gonna need a very powerful PC to play them.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Great stuff today as well, VR is on a roll almost daily now, you blink and you miss awesome shit :messenger_fire:

More stuff from the last couple of days (cropped and mangled, tons of awesome stuff are missing due to the embeds limit): https://www.neogaf.com/threads/oculus-quest.1482208/post-267104247

The showcase will have cool stuff like Vertigo 2's release date announcement so it's worth a watch.

Edit: new stuff (I think): ROTU Entertainment's Ancient Board Games and Eolia: Quena's Requiem. Fusion Play's Across the Valley trailer. Drop Dead: The Cabin gameplay. Not sure if Per Aspera VR port has been shown before. RuinsMagus dlc and update. Call of the Sea VR port trailer. Some Gambit launch pimping (it got delayed after that, lol). The Signifier VR port. Propagation: Paradise Hotel footage. Straylight looks like abstract Yupitergrad. Joy Way showed Red Flowers which looks a lot like Stride: Sword Edition and Stack, a neat PVP duel thingie. Also the Stride Fates campaign (update? dlc? pretty rad anyway, very Mirror's Edge). The last reveal was Attack on Titan: Unbreakable. No gameplay but they call it "hunting action" (Monster Hunter's genre, nice, hopefully it has the depth to back that up). More stuff from/for known games (and pretending some stuff like Divine Duel are "reveals" just because they've never reported them before, you'd have seen gameplay and stuff in this thread already) like Little Cities, RagnaRock and EverSlaught Invasion. They also trailered the Pico exclusive Survival Nation. I think that covers most of it. Vertigo 2 continues looking amazing. Check their channel for individual videos without the fluff.

Last edited:

Romulus

Mobile hardware pushing 4K60 up to 4K120 is always going to require some major cuts to graphical fidelity. There are plenty of amazing looking VR games, you are just gonna need a very powerful PC to play them.

Or shadow VR. It actually works for people with good connections.

Alexios

Last edited:

Alexios

Thanks, I might be a bit slow until next year cos I don't have access to a PC for most of the day and posting on my phone is worse than browsing this thread on one. Anyway, I can't embed all of Resolution's stuff at once so check their channel for all the separate trailers instead of the full showcase...

Last edited:

Alexios

Pavlov beta update brings forth the Unreal Engine 5.1 upgrade 🫶 and a conversion to the OpenXR standard to future-proof the game for the years to come 🖖. It comes with several overhauls 👌, bug fixes 👍 and new features 🫰

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Have about $34 in credit left from referrals.

Which game should I get:
- The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners Chapter 2 for $40
- Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond for $28

Reviews seem to indicate the former is a big fest and the latter although ambitious feels outdated.

Tygeezy

Have about $34 in credit left from referrals.

Which game should I get:
- The Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners Chapter 2 for $40
- Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond for $28

Reviews seem to indicate the former is a big fest and the latter although ambitious feels outdated.
Get compound vr. I'm personally waiting to play the new walking dead on psvr 2.

Alexios

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

This one is cool, a drum sim. You can play it like Guitar Hero or freely. 1.0 version released on Nov 1. There is a demo(almost like a full game) on Oculus store, from an early build.

Alexios

Split into 2 posts to fit some more embeds instead of a long list of links. That EmuVR update is fire.

Last edited:

Romulus

2nd year in a row they were number 1.

d7kgx1scn28a1.jpg

Alexios

I'll post more timely/thoroughly after the 13th/15th of the month. Lol @ the Vive XR Elite euro-price. 1449. I was about to make a thread but screw that. For that price it should come with eye tracking and a second XR Elite for a friend, this is between a Quest 2 and a Pro and the cost reflects that.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Hi VR Gaf, guess this is the closest to a VR OT?

Simple question, I've had a Quest 2 for a while and I just don't use it, VR is neat but I very rarely find myself caring to using the thing. Going to sell it soon, my question is, is there anything that's an absolute must play before I do?

So far I just wanna get through Half-Life Alyx. I've already played Beat Saber, Rec Room, Superhot, Tetris Effect, RE7, Moss, Batman, Rez.

Romulus

Simple question, I've had a Quest 2 for a while and I just don't use it, VR is neat but I very rarely find myself caring to using the thing. Going to sell it soon, my question is, is there anything that's an absolute must play before I do?

So far I just wanna get through Half-Life Alyx. I've already played Beat Saber, Rec Room, Superhot, Tetris Effect, RE7, Moss, Batman, Rez.

Idk, anyone who says VR is just "neat" probably needs to move on. It's not clicking. For me, it's a whole new way to game. My ps5 and switch just collect dust for months for this reason.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Idk, anyone who says VR is just "neat" probably needs to move on. It's not clicking. For me, it's a whole new way to game. My ps5 and switch just collect dust for months for this reason.

... Right, I know. That's why I'm selling it. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy what I played on it and won't enjoy Alyx, but it's not really worth owning a £200+ device I barely use.

So again, any must-plays before I ship it off?

poppabk

... Right, I know. That's why I'm selling it. That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy what I played on it and won't enjoy Alyx, but it's not really worth owning a £200+ device I barely use.

So again, any must-plays before I ship it off?
Flight sim if your rig can handle it, actually even if it can't.
Dirt Rally 2
Project Cars 2
Half Life 2
Alien Isolation
DCS
At least one of the indie fighting/wizardy games.
A Fisherman's Tale
Edit: Forgot Contractors if only to run around retro CoD maps like Nuketown.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

If you're going to sell it, why invest money into VR ecosystem for games you won't be able to play?

Romulus

If you're going to sell it, why invest money into VR ecosystem for games you won't be able to play?

That's a valid question. He's worried about $200 sitting around collecting dust, but is willing to pay more money to play more VR games that are worthless after he sells his headset.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

Pistol Whip(must), Eleven Table Tennis, Paradiddle, Vtol Vr, Windlands

Last edited:

AV

That's a valid question. He's worried about $200 sitting around collecting dust, but is willing to pay money to play more VR games that are worthless after he sells his headset.

Sometimes it's okay to pay for an experience you don't repeat. I wouldn't replay Alyx if I kept my Quest for life, too many other games to play. And I can sell this headset for more than I got it for on a deal. It's really no sweat.

Bit of a weird inquisition when all I asked for was some good games, you really not got anything to recommend at all?

Flight sim if your rig can handle it, actually even if it can't.
Dirt Rally 2
Project Cars 2
Half Life 2
Alien Isolation
DCS
At least one of the indie fighting/wizardy games.
A Fisherman's Tale
Edit: Forgot Contractors if only to run around retro CoD maps like Nuketown.
Pistol Whip(must), Eleven Table Tennis, Paradiddle, Vtol Vr

Cheers, I'll look into a few. Flight Sim is on Game Pass, that's a good shout, presume I don't need a VR specific version?

poppabk

Bit of a weird inquisition when all I asked for was some good games, you really not got anything to recommend at all?
Some people just don't feel the visceral effects of depth perception
Cheers, I'll look into a few. Flight Sim is on Game Pass, that's a good shout, presume I don't need a VR specific version?
Should add No Man's Sky and Hitman trilogy to the list if you have gamepass. Can't say I have had the chance to put much time into them, tried them early on when FPS still gave me major motion sickness, but as they are free to you may as well give them a quick whirl. Just launch steamvr before launching them and you are good to go.
Flight Sim I think you may need to have SteamVR running and then there is a toggle in the menus. I play with a Hotas but it has full hand tracking built in so you can use the occulus controllers.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Sometimes it's okay to pay for an experience you don't repeat. I wouldn't replay Alyx if I kept my Quest for life, too many other games to play. And I can sell this headset for more than I got it for on a deal. It's really no sweat.

It's not a "weird" question at all. It makes perfect sense, and asking you to clarify your thought process on it shouldn't be a big deal.

Games I've enjoyed that haven't been name yet: Swarm, RE4VR, Premium Bowling, DOOM and Quake Dr. Beef ports, Ancient Dungeon, Gun Club, Fruit Ninja, Drop Dead, Gorn, Blade and Sorcery, Walkabout Mini Golf, Demeo, Arizona Sunshine, After the Fall, Assetto Corsa.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism

Bonelab

poppabk

It's not a "weird" question at all. It makes perfect sense, and asking you to clarify your thought process on it shouldn't be a big deal.

Games I've enjoyed that haven't been name yet: Swarm, RE4VR, Premium Bowling, DOOM and Quake Dr. Beef ports, Ancient Dungeon, Gun Club, Fruit Ninja, Drop Dead, Gorn, Blade and Sorcery, Walkabout Mini Golf, Demeo, Arizona Sunshine, After the Fall, Assetto Corsa.
Has Blade and Sorcery ever gone on sale? I really want to give it a shot as it looks like a perfect blend of a bunch of other games I have enjoyed, but I have a tough time buying games at full price (even if it is $20).

Top Bottom