• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Quest

hlm666

Some nice stuff for the page's end (only for some random comment to come and bury this and the previous two posts with so much stuff, oh well, such is the forum life, those who care see). VR sure has tons of new, updated & upcoming releases to discuss for a dead medium, eh Mr. Usual Suspect?

That trailer for ark and ade is great. Not sure exactly what devour is gameplay wise but i'm intrigued.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!

Last edited:

Alexios

Some smaller stuff. If you're interested in some of these like Undead Citadel and Derail Valley follow them as they post little tidbits very often if not daily but I'm not rting/posting all of them if it's not a rare slow day (but DV also does monthly recaps of the new upcoming atm stuff which I do).

Last edited:

hlm666

Some smaller stuff. If you're interested in some of these like Undead Citadel and Derail Valley follow them as they post little tidbits very often if not daily but I'm not rting/posting all of them if it's not a rare slow day (but DV also does monthly recaps of the new upcoming atm stuff which I do).

Arkanoid in VR is such a kinda logical idea yet it's never crossed my mind. Next step is to take it fully immersive so the player is standing in some arena like a virtual squash court with some bats hitting balls into a wall breaking it down.

Alexios

Arkanoid in VR is such a kinda logical idea yet it's never crossed my mind. Next step is to take it fully immersive so the player is standing in some arena like a virtual squash court with some bats hitting balls into a wall breaking it down.
That's a thing too, follow me more closely :p

Only announced for PSVR2 atm, C-Smash VRS (Cosmic Smash VR). Racket: NX is kind of like that but you don't quite smash stuff, it's a cool racket puzzle action scoring game though. And some lower profile games like Cybrix, VRkanoid and probably other stuff like the one you quote are similar too.

Last edited:

hlm666

That's a thing too, follow me more closely :p

Only announced for PSVR2 atm, C-Smash VRS (Cosmic Smash VR). Racket: NX is kind of like that but you don't quite smash stuff, it's a cool racket puzzle action scoring game though. And some lower profile games like Cybrix, VRkanoid and probably other stuff like the one you quote are similar too.
This is why it's lucky I don't make games, would think I have a cool idea only to find out there's already 5 other games already out doing it ;)

I can't afford to follow you closer lol I've already bought devour and district steel this week after finding them in your updates and i'm having to use some restraint to not get undead citadel until I at least put some time into the first 2. Jokes aside, no idea how you keep up with it all. It seems like I get into something then by the time i'm done with it i've missed 20 new releases which at least some interest me. I think that's how I missed devour, it seems to have been released back when I was playing phasmophobia.

Alexios

Deep Rock Galactic's awesome VR mod got updated with Season 3 mechanics and more goodness. PC VR community is so great but still gets little coverage. Games like this, Risk of Rain 2, Raft, Half-Life 2, Outer Wilds, Neon White, etc. are so good, like they were made for VR!

Last edited:

hlm666

Deep Rock Galactic's awesome VR mod got updated with Season 3 mechanics and more goodness. PC VR community is so great but still gets little coverage. Games like this, Risk of Rain 2, Raft, Half-Life 2, Outer Wilds, Neon White, etc. are so good, like they were made for VR!

I think sometimes the quantity can be a detriment, I didn't even know Deep Rock had that VR mod and I played that game quite a bit back during season 1. I'm sitting here waiting for the ready or not mod to get hand tracked weapon controls and DRG seems to already have that sorted, I have played a few half life 2 vr mods and some maps ported to alyx/source 2 though.

Thinking about it more my laziness is a factor here, it's too easy to grab a new car or track for AC or HLA mod and be playing in a few mins. I need to try deep rock tho, some of the larger monsters would probably be much more intimidating in vr and ziplines will be an experience lol.

Alexios

I think sometimes the quantity can be a detriment, I didn't even know Deep Rock had that VR mod and I played that game quite a bit back during season 1. I'm sitting here waiting for the ready or not mod to get hand tracked weapon controls and DRG seems to already have that sorted, I have played a few half life 2 vr mods and some maps ported to alyx/source 2 though.

Thinking about it more my laziness is a factor here, it's too easy to grab a new car or track for AC or HLA mod and be playing in a few mins. I need to try deep rock tho, some of the larger monsters would probably be much more intimidating in vr and ziplines will be an experience lol.
Well, you don't have to play everything (though on Steam you can also trial stuff easily then refund) but it's still cool to see all there is out there (and so be able to choose more informed of your available choices vs the VR media mostly hyping the same clickbait or big publisher backed stuff) :D

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Its Happening The Office GIF by NBC

Quest 3 lurking the store 👀

Alexios

This one really bothers me, because it's obviously such a cheap rip-off.

The actual The Room VR is an excellent game, with varied environments and a lot of great puzzles. But this isn't even from the same devs, and tries to imitate their name and branding just enough to get away with it.
Yeah, it seems to resemble the very first mobile The Room game more than any other in that series which has always been of good quality but knocked it out of the park with A Dark Matter. Apparently this doesn't even have any locomotion controls so you're out of luck if playing in a small space.

Edit: seems the trailer was deleted and reuploaded (hence it's missing in your quote, I fixed it in my relevant post) shortly after our exchange, weird coincidence, Idk if anything's different, it looks the same to me.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member

Interesting. Never played it (Onward), but people were praising it for a while and when the downgrades came people started hating it :D

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Edit: seems the trailer was deleted and reuploaded (hence it's missing
Actually, it looks like they changed the logo and title just a little to make it less like a copyright infringement against The Room franchise / The Room VR.

before:
f49pvQ.jpg

after:
2bml10.jpg

So, from Mystery Box: The Room VR to Mystery Box VR: Escape The Room

I have to believe that the actual The Room producers contacted them with a complaint.

hlm666

Apparently Quest 3 is going to have a reasonable amount of launch software. No idea what the split will be between apps and games but beat sabre 2 has to be one of the launch titles, anyone else have any expectations? I'm also expecting a bunch of ar stuff like some kind of isometric type games that sit on your table etc and super hot type games in ar where your house is the environment/level like that old ar demo with room mapping. Meta's vice president of VR also confirmed quest 2 has sold over 20 million units in that article.

Alexios

Again a few slow days since the last large batch of news and now everything is releasing/updating/announced simultaneously, the VR community is weird.

Last edited:

Alexios

I divided these in two posts because I couldn't decide which 6 to relegate to mere links instead of embeds (and twitter links don't get a preview in the forum software so it would have to be something else like a video, reddit, Steam or other kind of link).

Last edited:

Alexios

Also, I only just noticed Population: One only went f2p on Quest, not Steam or the Rift store (I'm assuming they have disabled crossbuy on Quest but nobody uses that PC store which doesn't officially support non Meta devices anyway). Is this to eventually go, PC numbers don't justify support, bye?

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

RE4 already modded for VR?

Wow, i thought Praydog was the guy with the UE4 injector, but the RE games seem ridiculously easy to support VR on PC.

Alexios

RE4 already modded for VR?

Wow, i thought Praydog was the guy with the UE4 injector, but the RE games seem ridiculously easy to support VR on PC.
He is, but before UE injector he worked on the Resident Evil engine REFramework to have VR in RE2make, R3make, 7 and 8 and even Monster Hunter Rise and stuff, so he used the work done for those to add support for RE4's demo.

Last edited:

Alexios

Wow, had no clue.

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC
Some (all?) of the RE games are (optionally) playable with fpv and motion controls :)

Naturally it's not as fully developed as Capcom's VR mode, stuff like reloading aren't manual, there are no holsters on your body for weapons and there are all kinds of janky stuff in gameplay, menus and cut scenes, but the basics like moving, shooting and even knife wielding in some work well.

Some smaller screenshot saturday type stuff and similar updates:

Last edited:

stranno

Scrcpy 2.0 has been released with audio support.

It is an ADB client for Windows. Most people use it to record video (and now audio) from Android devices, especially from Quest 1/2. It should be a bit lighter on resources than the internal recording (tho the video compression is still done by the SOC encode cores, not by Windows).

Stitch

Gold Member
Also, I only just noticed Population: One only went f2p on Quest, not Steam or the Rift store (I'm assuming they have disabled crossbuy on Quest but nobody uses that PC store which doesn't officially support non Meta devices anyway). Is this to eventually go, PC numbers don't justify support, bye?​
They only made it cheaper and also give you a bunch of in-game gold for buying the game

Maybe it's some kind of anti-cheat protection lol

Stitch

Gold Member
If Airlink works then good for you, but I think it sucks. The Interface sucks, it performs worse for me with random lags and sometimes it also randomly decides to look like a 240p YouTube video (like it ignores the fixed bitrate or whatever).
I had similar problems with wired Link, so the whole Link system sucks for me. Also cables suck anyway.

I'm super happy with VD. ggodin somehow finds ways to make it better and better & now I don't even need the stupid Oculus software anymore. (screw you, ovrserver_x64.exe. Always doing shit in the background)

Last edited:

Alexios

If Airlink works then good for you, but I think it sucks. The Interface sucks, it performs worse for me with random lags and sometimes it also randomly decides to look like a 240p YouTube video (like it ignores the fixed bitrate or whatever).
I had similar problems with wired Link, so the whole Link system sucks for me. Also cables suck anyway.

I'm super happy with VD. ggodin somehow finds ways to make it better and better & now I don't even need the stupid Oculus software anymore. (screw you, ovrserver_x64.exe. Always doing shit in the background)
Does this mean you now don't need any sort of Meta login/account to use their devices for Steam/PC VR outside their proprietary store? Or is this only for Quest and that still requires having Virtual Desktop on the device from sources like App Lab and Side Quest so it's fully set up with all that stuff anyway? What about Rift/Rift S, Virtual Desktop was a thing for them too before it became famous for Quest, but I guess not for connectivity stuff, only for actual desktop use in VR and what not? Or does it actually get rid of Oculus' app for that use case too? I've lent my Rift out atm so can't check.

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
No, you sadly still need to have a Meta account and Virtual Desktop from the Meta store on the Quest. But VD also always needed the oculus software on the PC to work. I guess it needed some of the installed drivers/dll/services.
But now it doesn't need them anymore so it's safe to get rid of the oculus software on PC.

Last edited:

Alexios

No, you sadly still need to have a Meta account and Virtual Desktop from the Meta store on the Quest. But VD also always needed the oculus software on the PC to work. I guess it needed some of the installed drivers/dll/services.
But now it doesn't need them anymore so it's safe to get rid of the oculus software on PC.
So you don't know about Rift/Rift S either? Or it's the same as before, it requires oculus software on PC?

Stitch

Gold Member
Rift is wired so why would you use Virtual Desktop with it?

Yeah I'm pretty sure you still need the oculus software for rift drivers/services

Alexios

Virtual Desktop was a thing long before Quest for other uses, I just asked if that "no longer need Oculus software on the PC" applied to Rift as well as it'd be rad. Makes sense if not since they don't use Link or Airlink but I also assumed Quest/2/Pro/Rift/S all use similar drivers for use with PC VR 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

hlm666

Virtual Desktop was a thing long before Quest for other uses, I just asked if that "no longer need Oculus software on the PC" applied to Rift as well as it'd be rad. Makes sense if not since they don't use Link or Airlink but I also assumed Quest/2/Pro/Rift/S all use similar drivers for use with PC VR.

Oh wow, been waiting for beware ever since I played the small demo years ago. Having a VR mode will make it much more intense, even though I was trying to wait for a full release this might make me jump the gun.

Alexios

Last edited:

Banned
question for peeps in germany.
APPARENTLY, Meta is selling gift cards for the meta store (quest store) since october or so last year.

has anyone ever seen one for sale? anywhere? because I wanted to get one for a friend's birthday, but these things are literally nowhere to be found. not even at the known online retailers that sell gift cards online.
none on Amazon, none on Ebay... it's kinda weird.

Buggy Loop

Pretty interesting

So this is entering « can run most PCVR » native with a few tweaks. That should help sell the headset a lot. Imagine if Oculus’ devs have cranked the graphics to something more like Half Life Alyx for their big games? Hell, just Lone echo 1 & 2 stand-alone would be damn great.

Romulus

So this is entering « can run most PCVR » native with a few tweaks. That should help sell the headset a lot. Imagine if Oculus’ devs have cranked the graphics to something more like Half Life Alyx for their big games? Hell, just Lone echo 1 & 2 stand-alone would be damn great.

Looks to sit right in between the PS4 and PS4 Pro with a much better CPU and more/faster RAM + SSD

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Cost me like 10 bucks on my regional store. Love regional pricing lol

Anyway, looking to fill up my pcvr library, any recommendations?
Great price, man.

I’d definitely recommend Gun Club, Arizona Sunshine, Walkabout Mini Golf, Blade and Sorcery, Superhot, Demeo, and Job Simulator.

Top Bottom