• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odd Opinion Piece @ Threespeech (with my response)

theBishop

Banned
Threespeech.com continues to be a bizarre quasi-official blogsite for Playstation news. Although questions remain on just how Official it really is, the site has certainly avoided the ridiculous embarrassment of other Sony viral marketing attempts in recent years.

Today, the site has an opinion piece chronicling the backlash against the PS3 and offers a decidedly weak defense of the console's future:

May 9, 2006. I’d say that was the day. The day the internet turned. But firstly, some history - a look back to when Sony entered the videogame industry…

It didn’t take long for the majority to fall for the PlayStation. Sony seemed to do everything right. They aimed it at ‘cool’ people in the UK. They showed it off at the Ministry Of Sound. They secured big arcade titles such as Ridge Racer and Tekken. WipEout made people realise they could play videogames without feeling embarrassed! And lastly, it was priced on a par with the competition, if not lower. This led to 102m in worldwide sales over the 11 years of its lifespan, as well as the PlayStation brand securing a huge fan base; something that meant the PlayStation 2 was always going to be tipped for success.

Again, with the PlayStation 2, Sony seemed to be doing everything right. Opting for DVD meant it appealed to an even wider audience and many initial sales in Japan were put down to DVD playback. Although the launch line-up wasn’t strong the success of the PlayStation meant Sony had plenty of publishers behind them. This led to some great games released shortly after launch. One notable title being Grand Theft Auto 3, which is arguably the game that sealed the success of the PlayStation 2, thanks to its long exclusivity. Like the original PlayStation, it was priced level with the competition. Even six years after launch it’s still selling strong - over 110m in worldwide sales and counting.

Sony could do no wrong. Its Computer Entertainment division was suddenly Sony’s saving grace and with its nearest competitor, Microsoft’s Xbox, trailing with worldwide sales of around 29m, it seemed the next-generation war was theirs for the taking.

May 9, 2006. E3. PlayStation’s top brass enter the stage. $600 for the 60gb console. A controller that arguably rips off the Wiimote (and lacks rumble), an online service that has yet to convince anyone it can compete with Xbox Live and a release date in November 2006. Let’s not forget the console was meant to launch back in Spring 2006. Yet after all this, the top brass had such an air of arrogance about them, people started to not want the PlayStation 3 to succeed.

And so the backlash started…

Negative threads flood gaming forums all over the internet. Mass hysteria at the price causes many people to just stop taking interest. Rarely a day goes by without there being a negative PlayStation 3 story linked to on the Digg front page. RIIIDGE RACER! Time Magazine say it’s not worth the hype. GIANT ENEMY CRABS! Shipment problems, analysts everywhere predicting it’s doom, more production problems related to the blue diodes, Gabe Newell calls it a disaster, Ken Kutaragi gets moved upstairs. I could go on, but I won’t. I won’t go on because even I’m tired of all the negativity.

2007 is a new year for all of us. A new year for Sony and the first year for the PlayStation 3. There are a few reasons all the negative press surrounding the PlayStation 3 doesn’t bother me. In fact, there are a couple of big reasons at the moment. And these, unlike the majority of the criticisms, are very important - Resistance: Fall of Man and MotorStorm. If these two games are a sign of what’s to come for the PlayStation 3 then Sony need not worry. It’s the games that make the console, nothing else. Believe me, these are two games worth owning a PlayStation 3 for. And this is just the beginning.

http://threespeech.com/blog/?p=258

It does say that the piece comes from a ThreeSpeech reader by the name of "AWK", so it certainly doesn't constitute any official (or 'semi-official') statement. But if Sony (or whoever manages TS.com) thinks this is enough to turn the backlash around, they better go back to the drawing boards. For sure, Resistance is an incredible accomplishment, and Motorstorm is very promising. But neither of these games will convert the haters.

Sony needs nothing less than a blowout. Something similar to TGS 06, but with a lot more consumer interaction. Downloadable demos, Retail demos, TV commercials, etc. Its seriously going to take a bombardment to shut out the hate spewing from Digg, *******, and elsewhere.

Its been brought up so many times on GAF its getting frustrating. Sony clearly has the games brewing in the background. Even the first party games we know to be in development would be enough to turn it around without delving into 3rd party titles. There's nothing stopping them except for their own poor planning.

they need the real AWK to fix the play station image

2awk1.jpg

Tieno

theBishop said:
For sure, Resistance is an incredible accomplishment, and Motorstorm is very promising. But neither of these games will convert the haters.

Its been brought up so many times on GAF its getting frustrating. Sony clearly has the games brewing in the background. Even the first party games we know to be in development would be enough to turn it around without delving into 3rd party titles. There's nothing stopping them except for their own poor planning.
I think it's more about turning the tide and turning it into a positive spiral. Resistance and Motorstorm are a start. But I agree, the silence is getting frustrating, I want to see more about these PS3 games. Especially Heavenly Sword.

I cant start threads yet but this news is close to your story...looks like japan stores are slashing 20 gig ps3 prices as the systems arent selling as well as expected.

http://******.com/gaming/top/japanese-stores-slashing-20gb-prices-230297.php

x1prBCtpy9yqTre4rRw1EqkMPekHfYyvCU6VbWZ8scm1aYOztlD-VK8xj117E4UGTCufd2Yf_EuPTwJiVdlUodO-lSRKWu_InlSopBn0mOxZPYkbmdgo0GRWg

"PS3 sales in Japan haven't cooled off, they've frozen. Consoles sit on shelves as gamers wait it out: Waiting for actual games to appear or prices to drop. Retailers, on the other hand, are an impatient lot. Retailers are also buying "used" PS3s at much lower prices than previously, paying well under the original sticker price. Just look at how the Don Quijote in Akihabara is slicing 20 percent off the 20GB PLAYSTATION 3. Nice 20-20 irony. The 20GB version originally books at 49,980 yen (US $412), but is being offered for 39,980 yen ($329) in a sale ending February. The shop is knocking a flat 10,000 yen ($82) right now. Japanese bulletin board 2chan reports that this at other Don Quijotes as well. It's interesting to check out the PS3 vibe at 2chan; Reasons for not buying go from "there are no games I want" to "video stores don't rent Blu-ray movies." Well, not yet that is. Brian Ashcraft"

theBishop

Banned
mylilbuddy said:
I cant start threads yet but this news is close to your story...looks like japan stores are slashing 20 gig ps3 prices as the systems arent selling as well as expected.

http://******.com/gaming/top/japanese-stores-slashing-20gb-prices-230297.php

ps3cheapinjapan.jpg

"PS3 sales in Japan haven't cooled off, they've frozen. Consoles sit on shelves as gamers wait it out: Waiting for actual games to appear or prices to drop. Retailers, on the other hand, are an impatient lot. Retailers are also buying "used" PS3s at much lower prices than previously, paying well under the original sticker price. Just look at how the Don Quijote in Akihabara is slicing 20 percent off the 20GB PLAYSTATION 3. Nice 20-20 irony. The 20GB version originally books at 49,980 yen (US $412), but is being offered for 39,980 yen ($329) in a sale ending February. The shop is knocking a flat 10,000 yen ($82) right now. Japanese bulletin board 2chan reports that this at other Don Quijotes as well. It's interesting to check out the PS3 vibe at 2chan; Reasons for not buying go from "there are no games I want" to "video stores don't rent Blu-ray movies." Well, not yet that is. Brian Ashcraft"

You were going to start a thread about this?

Yeesh with a start like that I was expecting the article to finish on something stronger than "Resistance and Motorstorm."

I think this is news....The 20GB version originally books at 49,980 yen (US $412), but is being offered for 39,980 yen ($329) in a sale ending February. The shop is knocking a flat 10,000 yen ($82) right now. Japanese bulletin board 2chan reports that this at other Don Quijotes as well. It's interesting to check out the PS3 vibe at 2chan; Reasons for not buying go from "there are no games I want" to "video stores don't rent Blu-ray movies." Well, not yet that is. Brian Ashcraft"

the fact they say no games and no blu ray rentals as reasons in Japan seems to be worthy of a thread.

theBishop

Banned
mylilbuddy said:
I think this is news....The 20GB version originally books at 49,980 yen (US $412), but is being offered for 39,980 yen ($329) in a sale ending February. The shop is knocking a flat 10,000 yen ($82) right now. Japanese bulletin board 2chan reports that this at other Don Quijotes as well. It's interesting to check out the PS3 vibe at 2chan; Reasons for not buying go from "there are no games I want" to "video stores don't rent Blu-ray movies." Well, not yet that is. Brian Ashcraft"

the fact they say no games and no blu ray rentals as reasons in Japan seems to be worthy of a thread.

stop moonlighting your junk thread in mine, please.

its kind of saying your 2 games arent enough for gamers in Japan. It relates. hehe

And just think how many ps3's would fly off shelves in NA at the price of 329 each! That would cure the hate your thread speaks of.

Jeff-DSA

Must. Resist. Urge. To. Speak.

Let's just say that Threespeech is more of a shill for Sony than Major Nelson is for MS. Good for news, but hardly a source for an objective opinion.

BuddyC

mylilbuddy said:

Tip: If your the link ends up automatically censored and no longer functions when you attempt to post it here, then it's probably not worth posting to begin with, let alone a thread.

theBishop

Banned
Jeff-DSA said:
Must. Resist. Urge. To. Speak.

Let's just say that Threespeech is more of a shill for Sony than Major Nelson is for MS. Good for news, but hardly a source for an objective opinion.

Obviously. I'm not expecting an objective opinion, i'm expecting a biased opinion that's a lot more persuasive than this.

Its not the defense, its the incredible weakness of the defense. I mean they wouldn't have posted it if they didn't think it would change someone's mind.

BuddyC said:
Tip: If your the link ends up automatically censored and no longer functions when you attempt to post it here, then it's probably not worth posting to begin with, let alone a thread.

I think that is silly....there is plenty of misinformation in gaf threads. So singling out certain sites isnt what I would call free speech. Besides, the store signs prove the story is true.

kenta

Has no PEINS
mylilbuddy said:
I think that is silly....there is plenty of misinformation in gaf threads. So singling out certain sites isnt what I would call free speech. Besides, the store signs prove the story is true.
Tip: Internet message boards are not a democracy, you're speaking to an administrator and what he says goes. He deems that site to be crap and doesn't want their articles on this forum, get over it

BuddyC

mylilbuddy said:
:lol

******, *******, *****, and ********* all dug their own grave.

Remy

mylilbuddy said:

"They" being two japanese people on a bulletin board.

Horrible gaming blogs shouting it from the high heavens makes it sound important. And then you make a thread, and then all the news sites that scour the GAF boards for news pick up on that, and then suddenly it's HOLY SHIT NO ONE IN JAPAN WANTS A PS3 LOOK AT ALL THESE COMPLAINTS.

And then for the next year we have to deal with even more shitty threads about "Gee, since the PS3 is dead in Japan, why doesn't Kojima dump Sony and work directly with Microsoft".

Echo chamber FTL.

theBishop

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Didn't someone say last week that there was some form of event coming up in two weeks... as in about a week from now?

there's always rumors of events happening. I've lost count of all the "February Meetings" i've heard about in the past few years.

Luke Smith did mention an event in April, and for Europe that's pretty good. But i'll be pissed if I don't see something big before then.

theBishop

Banned
meltpotato said:
:lol IAWTP

It is more important. This board is called "Gaming Discussion". I'm trying to have a discussion.

there's no discussion to be had over another bullshit "i have a picture of PS3s in a store" post.

theBishop said:
there's always rumors of events happening. I've lost count of all the "February Meetings" i've heard about in the past few years.

Luke Smith did mention an event in April, and for Europe that's pretty good. But i'll be pissed if I don't see something big before then.

Actually, I think it was posted in one of the CES threads (aka "what the hell, CES isn't E3 after all?" threads 1-~), but for some reason people seemed to have some faith in the dude who said it. Maybe that's just because people really want to believe that Sony will do something sensible.

I like my PS3 and being a board nerd I obviously know what's in the software pipeline, but based on the sparse showings of upcoming games and the non-existant advertising for current games, I could totally see why others would be kind of meh about the system at this point. I'd certainly hope there's something huge happening around the Euro launch, but there honestly needs to be something sooner than that, for the US market. Right now, Sony is being outpimped by a Fall 07 game from Microsoft, and that can't be good.

Mmmkay

Remy said:
And then for the next year we have to deal with even more shitty threads about "Gee, since the PS3 is dead in Japan, why doesn't Kojima dump Sony and work directly with Microsoft".

Echo chamber FTL.

hehe..funny you should mention kojima...there is an interview online today where he says he wants to do something with the 360...but even more so wants to do something on the pc.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=72074

theBishop

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Heres to mylilbuddy never getting the ability to post threads. Ever

Cheers!

heh... I don't know if its mylilbuddy's fault for derailing the thread, or if the subject just isn't that interesting (or both), but if i knew the discussion would be this tepid, i wouldn't have typed nearly as much as i did... :(

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Whatever threespeech is or is intended to be, it isn't as high profile to the Playstation community as something like Major Nelson's site is to the Xbox community. So yeah, tepid response should have been expected.

The most significant thing that TS has seeded so far has been the notion of the Big March Firmware Update (c). Beyond that, they've done this kind of "from the readers" posting before and I don't really think there's much reason to put any significance to it.

In any case, i'd hardly say he's trying to mount a major defense on Sony's behalf. He's basically saying 2006 was a bad year for them and here's hoping 2007 is better. The first steps to making a comeback are good games, that's all.

Why would PS3 need to be defended?

I seen Heavenly Sword and I went: "WOW", then I've seen some Lair and said "WOW", then I've seen some Naughty Dog's game and went "WOW", then I've seen NG:S and said "WOW" yet again, then there was some FFXIII info that made me go "WOW", and MGS4 WOWzorz, and DMC4, and then I got reminded that there's MotorStorm yet to come, and F1.
And then.... when I got all the "WOW" in the world, I noticed that those games were barely even shown, and I took some more "WOW" from space.

PS3 in 2007 is right thre in the games, I can easily pick 10 killers so early in the year. Probably the only other console that did that to me was PS2 in 2001. Threespeech should just dig deep and get some new media from SONY games, and that's it.

Oh, I forgot that 8 Days made me go WOWWOW too.

Tieno

Ynos Yrros said:

I seen Heavenly Sword and I went: "WOW", then I've seen some Lair and said "WOW", then I've seen some Naughty Dog's game and went "WOW", then I've seen NG:S and said "WOW" yet again, then there was some FFXIII info that made me go "WOW", and MGS4 WOWzorz, and DMC4, and then I got reminded that there's MotorStorm yet to come, and F1.
And then.... when I got all the "WOW" in the world, I noticed that those games were barely even shown, and I took some more "WOW" from space.

PS3 in 2007 is right thre in the games, I can easily pick 10 killers so early in the year. Probably the only other console that did that to me was PS2 in 2001. Threespeech should just dig deep and get some new media from SONY games, and that's it.

To summarise: you said wow to ps3 games!

Mojovonio

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:

Too bad most people don't feel the same way as you do.

Mojovonio said:
Too bad most people don't feel the same way as you do.
Too bad I make my own decisions..... is there something wrong with me?

Tieno said:
To summarise: you said wow to ps3 games!
Yup. But if this thread was about X360, I would also name couple games.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ynos Yrros said:

Your opinion is directly proportionate to the amount of similar opinions. If the amount of similar opinions is low then YOU LOSE

Ynos Yrros said:

I think his point was that you're not buying 4.5 million consoles this year by yourself. Unless you are.

Ynos Yrros said:

wait so you are saying that the ps3 needs no defense because you "said wow"?

Remy

mylilbuddy said:

We should form a comedy team, you and I. I can make some impassioned point about the gaming community, and it can go totally over your head, just like things did above. We can branch out - how oblivious are you to politics? Together, with some work, we can get a sitcom (ABC Family?) with a snappy theme song (I'm thinking "These Are The Days"?) where we get in wacky misadventures because you don't understand what I mean when I say "Watch out, friend, that bear is about to eat you". You'll just chuckle and go "Funny you should say that, because the Bears are in the Super Bowl!!!" right before you end up in the hospital.

It'll be fun for the whole family. And by whole family I mean no one.

Back on topic: I don't ever expect a sizable chunk of people to come around to the PS3. Either they'll keep starting rumors about exclusives going to the 360 (why stop at MGS4? Why not FFXIII too?), or toss up more anecdotal evidence ("I saw a PS3 at Best Buy this weekend, DOOMED!"), or troll around 2chan to pull up one post that somehow represents all of Japan's opinion. Sony bashing is going to be in this generation like never before. And some of it's justified, but it's been way off the charts lately.

BlueTsunami said:
Your opinion is directly proportionate to the amount of similar opinions. If the amount of similar opinions is low then YOU LOSE
Fair enough. Luckily most people agree that those games will be awesome.

Top Bottom