• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Odd Opinion Piece @ Threespeech (with my response)

Remy said:
Back on topic: I don't ever expect a sizable chunk of people to come around to the PS3. Either they'll keep starting rumors about exclusives going to the 360 (why stop at MGS4? Why not FFXIII too?), or toss up more anecdotal evidence ("I saw a PS3 at Best Buy this weekend, DOOMED!"), or troll around 2chan to pull up one post that somehow represents all of Japan's opinion. Sony bashing is going to be in this generation like never before. And some of it's justified, but it's been way off the charts lately.

I agree.

When I initially bought a PS1 near launch, I assumed I was buying the niche system (N64 was predicted to dominate, and PS1 was often the focus of a lot of trash talk and rumors of doom). I was happily surprised that it ended up being so popular.

With the PS3, I figured I was buying into the niche again. I think I'm more likely to be right this time. If so-- it was fun being in the mainstream while it lasted (10 years) and I can always get a second console. If I'm wrong... then cool.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Ignatz Mouse said:
I agree.

When I initially bought a PS1 near launch, I assumed I was buying the niche system (N64 was predicted to dominate, and PS1 was often the focus of a lot of trash talk and rumors of doom). I was happily surprised that it ended up being so popular.

With the PS3, I figured I was buying into the niche again. I think I'm more likely to be right this time. If so-- it was fun being in the mainstream while it lasted (10 years) and I can always get a second console. If I'm wrong... then cool.

Saturn was predicted to dominate, IIRC

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Mmmkay said:

Before I'm MassiveAttacked, the Sony PR folks were unusually clueless about this at CES. They're doing some media days near the end of the month, but it looks like it will focus more on already announced, soon to be published games like Ratchet & Clank PSP.

Don't expect a megatonconference. Sorry for any potential confusion!

DCharlie

Banned
But neither of these games will convert the haters.

it's not the haters Sony need to be worried about - it's just the general gaming public. And at this point, it's the price -and- the games that are putting those people off.

And there's the Nintendo factor - thank god sony didn't dismiss them in the handheld and console space huh?

Jonnyram

The PS3 backlash isn't about lack of games. You only need to check your history books to see how a console can do without a strong lineup (*cough* PS2 *cough*).

The problems for PS3 are price, Sony's attitude, lack of must-have tech (i.e. there is no DVD explosion this time around), and price again, for good measure. It's way beyond the "impulse purchase" price. The Japanese economy in 2007 is a shadow of what it was in 2000.

bigswords

SaggyMonkey said:
VF5 and US Motorstorm could come a little quicker... one of these times I might slip and buy Gundam for a new ps3 game.

Dont buy Gundam for the PS3 it is an utter piece of crock crap.....please play anything else except that game for the love of all that's holy.

aeolist

Banned
I agree completely with the quote from the first post until it reaches the last paragraph.

I think there will be lots of reasons to buy a PS3 down the line but there aren't really any right now for me.

Jonnyram said:
The PS3 backlash isn't about lack of games. You only need to check your history books to see how a console can do without a strong lineup (*cough* PS2 *cough*).

PS2 had a pretty decent selection of games, actually. The best-at-the-time Madden, SSX, Tekken. It was criticized, but generally by people who were looking to criticize, not looking to evaluate it objectively.

PS3, OTOH, has a weak lineup. 3rd party games inferior to the 360 versions, one great exclusive and a lot of mediocre ones. But the backlash is about the price, too.

Top Bottom