• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath goes HD (PSN)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
scitek said:
EDIT: That's right, there's supposed to be a PC version in the works already for a collection of some kind, right?
Yeah, it will contain all 4 Oddworld games and have Steam achievements.

Chris_C

Excellent news, this was one of the games I wanted to play on Xbox, but never got a chance to. Love the Move support.

Good news. I was going to pick up the Xbox version a few years ago only to find out...It's not backwards compatible with the 360! I hope it is coming to both consoles. I'll get it on 360 if it's on both, or if I have to I'll get it on PS3.

Forkball said:
Remember when the Xbox came out and they lauded this huge deal that would guarantee ten Oddworld games exclusive to the console? Oh how times have changed.

Whatever happened to this series anyways?

They made this huge deal that would guarantee ten Oddworld games exclusive to the Xbox.

Nizz

Wow, I'm surprised this game is coming to PSN! I remember I was at a Sears and this game was in the bargain bin for ten bucks. I regret not getting it since I had access to an original X-Box.

But I'll definitely give this a chance on PS3.

StuBurns

Banned
charlequin said:
They made this huge deal that would guarantee ten Oddworld games exclusive to the Xbox.
Was the plan to make two games a year or the xbox would last more than ten years?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
StuBurns said:
Was the plan to make two games a year or the xbox would last more than ten years?
They should've supported 2D more, abandoning that was their biggest mistake imo

StuBurns said:

Well, I think the plan was really to:

• be exclusive to various and sundry Xbox hardwares for x number of years going forward, and
  • actually to just dick around and disappoint all their fans while swimming around in a gigantic pool of Microsoft's money

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Aaron said:
Why? It's not very good. The best thing about it was the CG cut-scenes.

Because tit's the only one NOT on Playstation, maybe?

StuBurns

Banned
charlequin said:
Well, I think the plan was really to:

• be exclusive to various and sundry Xbox hardwares for x number of years going forward, and
  • actually to just dick around and disappoint all their fans while swimming around in a gigantic pool of Microsoft's money
Oh, so it was more like ten games for MS gaming platforms as appose to the original Xbox specifically?

I loved the PS1 games, hated Munch's Oddysee, never tried Stranger's Wrath, so I was a little disappointed myself, but certainly nothing comparable to what I imagine being a huge fan expecting ten games, that's quite a commitment.

Is that really true they signed up to make ten Oddworld games for Xbox platforms? I always thought that the Oddworld games were meant to be a quintology, although I suppose they could be outside of the official quintology like Abe's Exodus apparently is.

Still, I thought that it was such an awful decision to move the series to the Xbox last-minute like they did. So many people I know who loved the first two games never got to play the latter two. Hopefully Munch's Odyssey gets a HD re-release too.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This one one of the last games I played on my OG Xbox before I put it away for good. I remember it being pretty fun, the animal weapons were clever.
This is a great way to play it again and I hope it becomes a trend.

watership

voltron said:
But fuck you Microsoft. How the sweet jesus fuck could they have been so stupid as to allow this to be a Sony exclusive. Unbelievable.

There would be equal bitching about money hats if MS got this as an 'exclusive'.

Edit: Looks like it's coming to lots of platforms, so everyone can play this awesome game. Except the wii.

electroshockwave said:
Is that really true they signed up to make ten Oddworld games for Xbox platforms?

I actually have no idea. :lol Beyond the fact that they went Xbox-exclusive and money changed hands (leading to the very invention of the word "moneyhat") I don't know how much we ever actually got in terms of full-on details.

never really heard of this game, knew off oddworld as a kid but didnt play them as i was either uninterested or it was on xbox. The screens look really interesting anyone mind telling me what it's about?

voltron

watership said:
There would be equal bitching about money hats if MS got this as an 'exclusive'.

Edit: Looks like it's coming to lots of platforms, so everyone can play this awesome game. Except the wii.

Yeah my point was that MS already had a relationship with the devs due to it being an Xbox game last gen. And if they had somehow lost the opportunity to publish the HD version on their distribution service then then that would have been a pretty big fuck up.

But as we see its likely not exclusive to PS3 anyway. Time will tell.

StuBurns

Banned
voltron said:
Yeah my point was that MS already had a relationship with the devs due to it being an Xbox game last gen. And if they had somehow lost the opportunity to publish the HD version on their distribution service then then that would have been a pretty big fuck up.

But as we see its likely not exclusive to PS3 anyway. Time will tell.
Not being exclusive doesn't mean it's going to the 360 though. It's coming to Steam, it's not exclusive.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
NightHawk17 said:
never really heard of this game, knew off oddworld as a kid but didnt play them as i was either uninterested or it was on xbox. The screens look really interesting anyone mind telling me what it's about?

The less you know the better, but it's a hybrid third-person adventure/first-person shooter that worked far better than most games manage to as just one. It starts out as a Weird Western - you're a bounty hunter with a mysterious past - and then builds and builds from there. Easily one of the best, if not the best, game that no-one noticed last generation.

Kasumi1970

my name is Ted
KiNeSiS said:
It angers me that i have a useless xbox copy.
Great News!
5 Steps closer to The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klott becoming more than vaporware..
I know how you feel. I can play it on my old x box at 480p but i want to play it in 720p

ok, I'm sorry if I'm not totally informed, but I need some help understanding exactly what is going down.

From what I gather: An HD/spruced up version is coming to the PS3, yes? I remember hearing about a Oddworld pack coming to PC and it included Oddworld Stranger's Wrath. Now, will that PC version include this spruced up version, or something else? is that PC version still happening?

Stranger's Wrath is easily one of my favorite Xbox games and I just want to play it again somehow. Anyway this is happening, I'm just happy they are reviving the game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, Microsoft has now payed for the development of a PSN exclusive.

Although, I guess they probably wound up funding a Dragon Quest game under the guise of True Fantasy Live Online.

Linkzg said:
ok, I'm sorry if I'm not totally informed, but I need some help understanding exactly what is going down.

From what I gather: An HD/spruced up version is coming to the PS3, yes? I remember hearing about a Oddworld pack coming to PC and it included Oddworld Stranger's Wrath. Now, will that PC version include this spruced up version, or something else? is that PC version still happening?

Stranger's Wrath is easily one of my favorite Xbox games and I just want to play it again somehow. Anyway this is happening, I'm just happy they are reviving the game.

The PC Version is likely still happening. There was a post in March of this year on the Oddworld Inhabitants forums where Lorne apologized that the PC anthology was taking so long and that three of the four games had been successfully ported, but porting Stranger was giving them difficulty.

He stated that all four games would sport Steamworks achievements. I guess the plan was that all four games would come to both HD platforms in addition to PC. If they're showing Stranger now, there's a possibility that everything else is done.

Hellion

Explosion.gif

RobertM

NightHawk17 said:
An adventure game with vibrant world and piss-poor combat.

RobertM

StuBurns said:
The shooter aspect of this game was shit? I was really buzzed about this earlier.
I guess the way they implemented it and the usefulness of some of the ammo, not to mention limited ammo capacity (Bioshock pissed me off the most when it came to ammo). I never felt like they properly mixed the 3rd person combat with the 1st; it was a bit janky and you go through a menu to change ammo causing you to be immobile. Overall I wasn't wild about the combat, but the puzzle solving and the open environment is great.

If anyone has an Xbox they should definitely play it, no need to wait for PSN version.

voltron

StuBurns said:
Not being exclusive doesn't mean it's going to the 360 though. It's coming to Steam, it's not exclusive.

Yes but that hints that were dropped in this thread were quite clearly addressing console exclusivity questions.

A summary of many posts over the last 2 pages (yes including a couple of mine)...

"Is this exclusive to the PS3 console?"

"We didnt say that."

As long as I can play it on my new PC by the end of the year I will be happy. I've been waiting over a year for them to port this after I stupidly sold off my Xbox copy before finishing it.

Sean

Banned
StuBurns said:
The shooter aspect of this game was shit? I was really buzzed about this earlier.

Not at all, the shooting is quite awesome and very unique. It uses "live ammo" (animals) which each have their own specific uses. For example there's chipmunks which make a lot of noise and attract the enemies to go investigate (basically used as bait). One of them can stun enemies, there's one that does explosive damage, there's bees that will chase after them, skunks which I believe are like poison, etc.

Also when you capture enemies alive you get a money bonus (allowing you to buy ammo/upgrades faster) so that adds a bit more complexity to it if you choose to play that way, rather than just a straight-up shooter. I found the combat very fun and refreshing personally.

StuBurns

Banned
Sean said:
Not at all, the shooting is quite awesome and very unique. It uses "live ammo" (animals) which each have their own specific uses. For example there's chipmunks which make a lot of noise and attract the enemies to go investigate (basically used as bait). One of them can stun enemies, there's one that does explosive damage, there's bees that will chase after them, skunks which I believe are like poison, etc.

Also when you capture enemies alive you get a money bonus (allowing you to buy ammo/upgrades faster) so that adds a bit more complexity to it if you choose to play that way, rather than just a straight-up shooter. I found the combat very fun and refreshing personally.
Sounds interesting if nothing else. I'm sure the 'feel' could be improved on the port if it wasn't great initially. I'll buy it anyway because I've been looking on gamerankings for a while tonight, hunting for gems from the last generation I might of missed, and this is actually the highest rated game last gen that I haven't tried and could see myself caring about. And it'll be cheap no doubt. I'm surprisingly excited for it. I've already found out there is a notable twist, and that's without trying, now I care, it might be hard to avoid the spoiler.

That was quite an aside, basically thanks for the reply.

What really sucks is that I finally gave out about 2 months ago and used wikipedia to look-up the story of the game because I didn't think I'd ever play it. Still looking forward to the only OddWorld game I haven't played yet.

Top Bottom