• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath goes HD (PSN)

RobertM

Sean said:
Not at all, the shooting is quite awesome and very unique. It uses "live ammo" (animals) which each have their own specific uses. For example there's chipmunks which make a lot of noise and attract the enemies to go investigate (basically used as bait). One of them can stun enemies, there's one that does explosive damage, there's bees that will chase after them, skunks which I believe are like poison, etc.

Also when you capture enemies alive you get a money bonus (allowing you to buy ammo/upgrades faster) so that adds a bit more complexity to it if you choose to play that way, rather than just a straight-up shooter. I found the combat very fun and refreshing personally.
A lot of those ammo types will be under utilized and don't work well when you have a group of enemies. You stun one enemy, run to capture him, and everyone just starts ganging up on you. Although once you upgrade ammo types like stunkz, which creates a vortex that sucks up enemies, thinks get kind of fun. But throughout the beginning of the game you have take on enemies one by one, which doesn't help when most of your ammo types have stun ability, and only a few actually kill them.

To each his own. Personally wasn't thrilled about the combat.

bhlaab

I played some of Munch's Odyssey on the store displays when the Xbox was still a Brand New Thing and it seemed like a fairly mediocre platformer. Any truth to that?

Sean

Banned
RobertM said:
A lot of those ammo types will be under utilized and don't work well when you have a group of enemies. You stun one enemy, run to capture him, and everyone just starts ganging up on you. Although once you upgrade ammo types like stunkz, which creates a vortex that sucks up enemies, thinks get kind of fun. But throughout the beginning of the game you have take on enemies one by one, which doesn't help when most of your ammo types have stun ability, and only a few actually kill them.

To each his own. Personally wasn't thrilled about the combat.

That seemed to be an intentional pacing thing to me. They were trying to get you into the habit of capturing enemies alive so you earn more money (which in turn makes the second half of the game more fun since you'll be fully upgraded etc). I could see how it would annoy people though.

OldJadedGamer said:
The Xbox version was published by EA.

Microsoft funded the first couple years of its development, EA picked it up in the final stretch after MS canned it.

njean777

FINALLY i have been wanting to play this game since i heard about it like 3 years ago, sadly im not gonna buy an old xbox just for this game. Now i finally get to play it.

About Oddbox:

@AbeMudokon No love for the PC? ;-(
about 22 hours ago via web

@MrManiax someone else us doing oddbox for pc
about 21 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone in reply to MrManiax

Stranger on PSN is probably the first of a few announcements
about 21 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone

@AbeMudokon, As I can remember, there was information in 2008~maybe, that Stranger will move to PC platform. This will not happen, right?
about 21 hours ago via web in reply to AbeMudokon

@lucazz_twits OddBox is still coming to PC
about 20 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone in reply to lucazz_twits

https://twitter.com/AbeMudokon

StuBurns

Banned
In terms of MS funding, it's even more strange than they paid for Gears 1, to some degree they funded UE3, something used for a lot of the PS3 software.

I was doing some research yesterday about this game, and the series as a whole, MS seemed to have treated them pretty shitty after the guy running things at the time left, he wanted to focus on bringing more creative games to the platform, put a focus on the 'art' I guess, something which is pretty ballsy and honourable. Sony did the same sort of thing with Team ICO and I think that worked out incredibly well, maybe not financially, but in terms of product quality.

Lorne Lanning seems to be an interesting guy, if not a little bitter, I'd be interested to hear what he thinks about the new trend with things like EA Partners, Activision letting the Bungie guys own their IP, THQ doing the same thing with Itagaki's next venture etc. He seems to care deeply about the creators of a game series own the IP as appose to the publishers. He also seems a little odd ball though, I heard him claim he thinks Oddworld could be 'a Star Wars'. I think Star Wars is shit, but even still, in terms of popularity as an IP, there is just no chance of that ever happening.

Tailzo

After reading through this thread, I've learned that there are four Oddworld games. As far as I've understood, all four will come for PC. (And maybe even consoles). I'd like to have them all for one console, but what I'd really like is a Blu Ray collection, ala GoW collection or the rumoured Team ICO collection. Would that be possible?

I'm asking and hoping that one of the devs would be able to answer :)

StuBurns

Banned
Is the OddBox in HD? I would be surprised if all that art from the first two games holds up to that, and I can't image they remade any of it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
StuBurns said:
Is the OddBox in HD? I would be surprised if all that art from the first two games holds up to that, and I can't image they remade any of it.
I don't think they ever said anything about remaking the first 2, the 2 Xbox games will certainly be in HD though, it is PC after all. You can try out the first two on Steam in demo form if you want to see how they hold up.

Darklord said:
Their not porting the game to PC them self? I hope PC still gets the full HD remake then.
I'm pretty sure Lorne and his team are the ones working on the PC release, this is a separate team working on PS3.

StuBurns

Banned
Stallion Free said:
I don't think they ever said anything about remaking the first 2, the 2 Xbox games will certainly be in HD though, it is PC after all. You can try out the first two on Steam in demo form if you want to see how they hold up.
Yeah, I checked it out, he implied in the Bitmob interview that the first two will remain as they currently are, and the other two will be altered for PC release, which makes sense. Making 3D games HD is arbitrary essentially so yeah, I expected those to be.

Gattsu25

Banned
Awesome news

This was one of my top 3 favorite Xbox 1 games

BUY THIS GAME, PEOPLES

And hopefully Microsoft gets this on XBLA either in the form of this new release or they add support for the original XBOX game and make it downloadable.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I finally got around to playing a copy I got used at Gamestop years ago. It twas good. Even the original version is still very nice looking.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
JAW should have 360 dev kits. And if you read Game Informer, you would know that this game is the first in Oddworld based announcements. Unless they lied. 360 should be seeing this, if not, another kind of Oddworld game.

Flavius

StuBurns said:
Lorne Lanning seems to be an interesting guy, if not a little bitter, I'd be interested to hear what he thinks about the new trend with things like EA Partners...

He'd say, "wow, this EA Partners shit works a hell of a lot better than it did back when we released Stranger's Wrath under the program!," right? :p

V_Ben

Banned
They released a model comparison today, along with a dev diary on the official site.;

StrangerComparison.jpg

Looks much closer to the CG now!

sn00zer

This is what I expect outta remastered games....they couldnt reach their full potential due to hardware...now they get to display their initial vision

MjFrancis

Those model comparisons look gorgeous. The difference between the PC and PS3 models are definitely a little more subtle than the Xbox and the Playstation 3, but astounding nonetheless. Can't wait to play through Stranger's Wrath again!

eso76

good, this little gem deserved a wider audience

edit: wow, i remembered the main character looking MUCH better on xbox. Also, much bigger difference between xbox model and ps3 one than ps3 one and cgi, despite the fact there's a 2x and a 100x increase in poly count respectively.

Xater

MjFrancis said:
Those model comparisons look gorgeous. The difference between the PC and PS3 models are definitely a little more subtle than the Xbox and the Playstation 3, but astounding nonetheless. Can't wait to play through Stranger's Wrath again!

The third model is the CGI model which probably only appears in cutscenes.

forrest

formerly nacire
StuBurns said:
Do you know what diminishing returns means?
I do and it was the perfect post after seeing the new model compared to the CGI. You spend all of those polys and you can't really see "that "much" of a difference at a glance. Sure if you eyeball it you can find all of the extra geometry contributing to a much more defined silhouette, but at what cost?

Perfect example of diminishing returns.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
MjFrancis said:
That's not PC model, that's CG model that the normal maps for PS3 model are derived from.

StuBurns said:
That is a perfect example of diminishing returns right there.
They need that insane polycount to be able to create good normal maps from it though, that's how they make the low poly model look almost as good.

mrwilt

Gotta love those normal maps! Dug out the ole' xbox to play this again and it's still just as much fun as I remembered it. Love running into the people in town and hearing their reactions. :lol

StuBurns

Banned
Lord Error said:
They need that insane polycount to be able to create good normal maps from it though, that's how they make the low poly model look almost as good.
Indeed, I meant in terms of the hit on the hardware as appose to the man hours of work.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I am so glad that a PC version of all 4 is coming. Thank you OP cause before reading this thread I did not know about the PC version.
Yay!!!!!!!!!

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
That PS3 character model is apparently obsolete now. They've upped the detail even more and the new one will have ~20k triangles.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Anticitizen One said:
Wait this game has towns?

I thought Square said you cant do towns in HD?
Because if there's one thing we need in an Oddworld port thread it's trash talk about a Square Enix game that's from a different console generation, different genre, and that is about 5 times longer.

Dobkeratops

OT Hard Carry
wwm0nkey said:
guessing you also read the Dev Blog?
Yes :3

Might as well quote it for everyone:

something that’s happened this past week has been the decision to not just update the player models from say 3000 polys to 9000 polys, we took the decision to go upward of 18k, Stranger will have around 20k polys and is already coming together, in the next diary we’ll show you the new look Stranger, in the meantime, below is a comparison between the XBox Stranger, what was to be the PS3 Stranger and the original CG movie Stranger, we hope you enjoy it.

Top Bottom