• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

SuperSah

Banned
Polygon article states a spokesman confirmed the game is still being optimised so fps dips should be eradicated hopefully and maaaybeeeee even the res being raised.

i hope anyways

....its on PS3 and 360.

The same way it did in 2013.

Man, that one flew right over some heads.

tloz_breath_of_the_wild_game_cover_2_by_gmivan-dav83sz.jpg

HeroR

Polygon article states a spokesman confirmed the game is still being optimised so fps dips should be eradicated hopefully and maaaybeeeee even the res being raised.

i hope anyways

Keep the dream alive.

But I want motion controls over frame rate.

finalflame

Gold Member
I'm usually a staunch 60fps+ kinda guy, but I'm not sure how anyone can look at that off-screen footage and have a problem with it. Game looks perfectly smooth and absolutely fantastic for running on a handheld.

orioto

Good Art™
There will be a local multi right ? Cause you know, that's the actual strength of the Switch and nobody never talk about that lol..

Try to play Doom with multiple friends, locally, with them being there you know physically, on any other platform.

I'm aware that Gamexplain mentioned the rep implied there will be no motion controls, but did any other outlets ask or talk about that at all? I can't watch the videos with sound right now.

Also this looks fantastic. It basically looks exactly how I remember playing it on my laptop even though I'm sure it's got much lower settings, but it definitely retains the same vision. Happy to plunk down $60 for this, would be happier if it had gyro aiming but what can you do.

Looks pretty good! Yall need to stop shitting on everything. Playing destiny at 30fps and shit

I'm usually not an FPS snob, but it's hard to get used to lower frame rate when you become accustomed to how a game moves/plays. This is my issue with Doom and NBA 2K. Yes, it's a great accomplishment to get them running on what is effectively a tablet, but that doesn't mean it can't dissuade someone from spending $60 on what is effectively a worse version of a year old game.

v1oz

Going by the size comparison alone (in the OP), you would think the Wii U would be able to handle this game at 720p/60 at the least.

I'm usually not an FPS snob, but it's hard to get used to lower frame rate when you become accustomed to how a game moves/plays. This is my issue with Doom and NBA 2K. Yes, it's a great accomplishment to get them running on what is effectively a tablet, but that doesn't mean it can't dissuade someone from spending $60 on what is effectively a worse version of a year old game.
I understand the complains but its on the Switch. I guess its better off without the game? I think the complaints are win lose. What happen back in the day when GB was getting games like donkey kong land? Idk if people was complaining that it didnt look like the SNEs version or what

I feel AAA multiplats on Switch are primarily aimed at two audiences:

1. Single console owners
2. Consumers who value the portable aspect of the system

If you don't fall into either group, then yeah, DOOM, alongside most other AAA ports on Switch, probably aren't worth purchasing.

I understand the complains but its on the Switch. I guess its better off without the game? I think the complaints are win lose. What happen back in the day when GB was getting games like donkey kong land? Idk if people was complaining that it didnt look like the SNEs version or what

No. Why does it have to be that extreme. Me saying I may pass on this game due to the frame rate doesn't mean I don't think it should exist, or that you aren't allowed to buy and enjoy it.

and the GB version of Donkey Kong Land sucked ass.

I feel AAA multiplats on Switch are primarily aimed at two audiences:

1. Single console owners
2. Consumers who value the portable aspect of the system

If you don't fall into either group, then yeah, DOOM (and most other AAA ports on Switch) probably aren't worth purchasing.

THis is fair. I played through Doom already on PS4. And I don't play on the go much at all (though the portability factor of being able to sit on the couch playing Switch while watching sports or something on the TV is still cool). If this is a competent enough port, by all means I hope people that have never played Doom check it out. It's a fantastic game. Hell if there is a demo or something and it plays well enough, I still might buy it again.

No. Why does it have to be that extreme. Me saying I may pass on this game due to the frame rate doesn't mean I don't think it should exist, or that you aren't allowed to buy and enjoy it.

and the GB version of Donkey Kong Land sucked ass.

You right, I feel some people overlooking what its doing though. Like I said, I understand the complaints. As someone who didnt finish it on xbox one I'm sure I'll be buying it on Switch at some point

I feel like the bigger blow here is lack of motion controls, but at least that's something that can be implemented later (or possibly even before release).

I guess I can totally understand people who've played countless hours of this at 60fps+ being put off by a pretty drastic change, but I'm also not sure if that's the intended audience here. I only played through the campaign once on PC at around 120fps but the footage in these videos looks exactly how I remember it, even though it's obviously not the same.

THis is fair. I played through Doom already on PS4. And I don't play on the go much at all (though the portability factor of being able to sit on the couch playing Switch while watching sports or something on the TV is still cool). If this is a competent enough port, by all means I hope people that have never played Doom check it out. It's a fantastic game. Hell if there is a demo or something and it plays well enough, I still might buy it again.

This is honestly the best take on the whole situation. The game can be worth it for those who only own/play on Switch. For those who already own/play it on other consoles, it might not be worth double-dipping now or ever. I know I'll be buying it, and I hope that it finds an audience on the platform just so we see more third party support.

If it looks that good in portable, I wonder what docked perfomance is going to be like maybe 720p/30?

Didn't one of the reps tell the GameXplain guys that it's running at 720p/30 in portable mode? If so I'd expect at least 900p docked.

Definitely assuming there's dynamic resolution scaling going on though.

It could only ever be 30FPS, people who expected otherwise simply set themselves up for disappointment. I hope Sony can deliver a more powerful handheld in 2018.

I'm going to note right now that I'm not calling you out as I can appreciate where you're coming from, but I just sort of wanted to springboard off of this post into a broader observation. I sort of feel like there's a controversy here where there doesn't need to be one. I feel like there's two sides squaring off right now in terms of those that see Switch as capable of going toe-to-toe with the other major platforms and deserving of all major third party releases and those that -- not persuaded by the portability of the system and seeing that as more of a gimmick than a selling point -- are eager to point out how underpowered it is.

My reaction was much more subdued. I wholeheartedly welcome ports like these and think they are certainly worthwhile experiments. I'm a fan of the Switch. For a title like Doom (assuming it came out day one with other releases) I don't think Switch would be my first choice, but I think it's a cool option for potential double-dipping or maybe even just down-the-road "I never played this game, it's on sale and I'm going to be traveling" situations. I hope that there's a market out there that is willing to accept technical compromises for the portability tradeoff just so that we see more options. But at the same time, I noticed several observations last week that seemed to think that by making this move, Bethesda has officially thrown down some sort of gauntlet and marked a sea change for the Switch. "No more excuses other developers! If Doom 2016 can run on this don't tell me your game can't run on the Switch!"

Personally, this seemed to kind of misunderstand the situation. With impressions today, a lot of industry critics seem to be signing off on this as "good enough." Which is great. But stuff like 30 FPS vs. 60 FPS is a stark enough difference to give pause and not make this automatically worthwhile. Another question for several generations on Nintendo hardware has just been "is there even a market for a title like this?" And I think that question is still valid until we see some sales data.

Basically, I think the question of "is porting something like Doom to Switch a worthwhile endeavor?" remains unanswered. People invested on either side seem eager to claim a victory here, but I personally think it's pretty unclear in the broad sense. If nothing else, I think it's reassuring that something like this can produce respectable performance.

Top Bottom