• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

I hear there is no gyro? No buy then. I didnt care about 60 FPS as much as most, but I was hoping for gyro above everything else. I already own it on PS4, and portability isn't something I care about. I'll probably pick it up on sale, actually. When it's $15.

Playsage

Sorry guys for overhyping this port with an erroneous report.

From the 60fps video is clear that it's running at a lower framerate.

Mameshiba

Neo Member
I feel AAA multiplats on Switch are primarily aimed at two audiences:

1. Single console owners
2. Consumers who value the portable aspect of the system

If you don't fall into either group, then yeah, DOOM, alongside most other AAA ports on Switch, probably aren't worth purchasing.

That is twice the amount of audiences the Wii U had xD Actually Wii U probably didn't even have the first one, as most Wii U owners should be enthusiasts with multiple gaming devices. Really interested what kind of sales performance Doom and all the other Bethesda titles will have.

LordOfChaos

We can continue to pretend throttling isn't a thing

You can if you want, I guess? I certainly never did. If A10X still ends up above the 7th gen consoles and the Switch (and it certainly does) after it throttles, what's the problem with my statement?

If you looked at the A10X throttling tests available on Ars/others, you'd know it still ends up well above the Switch TX1 at Switch clocks in end performance. Even the previous iPhone 7s CPU throttled very little, in a tiny phone chassis, and the tablets always did better.

Take the stable baseline of the A11 or A10X and I assure you it's above the 7th gen + Switch. 10nm drastically improves performance per watt as well. This was the 16nm year old iPhone 7 and that was already close, AFTER the throttling after half an hour, A11 will definitely be above.
And most definitely the A10X in a tablet.

Manhattan_Rundown_7Plus.png

This was the even older A8
Yo6Sr.png

The Switch, conversely, chose its clocks from where TX1 never throttles down below - the TX1 in the Shield interestingly settled around those clocks on extreme load. So as a console of course they go for the stable performance.

If you care about frame rate play on PC or PS4. If you want to be able to play a full blown console fps on the train or the plane or in bed or on the shitter, get the Switch version . What's the point in saying '60fps or I'm out'? You were never going to be in because you're not willing to make the compromise or don't care enough about the playing anywhere aspect.

How is this any different from rolling into the OT for any AAA game and going "Pfft. No 4k / 60 I'm out".

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
When Switch was revealed, my first wish for it, beyond Nintendo games, was to get great portable versions of Rocket League, Fifa and Doom. It appears we'll have that. And in little time :)

To me this looks great. Like stated previously, i dont play competitively, prefer a good single player experience and in general suck at playing fps.

Last ones I played were splatoon and halo reach.

Looking forward to adding this to my library!

EDarkness

I'm aware that Gamexplain mentioned the rep implied there will be no motion controls, but did any other outlets ask or talk about that at all? I can't watch the videos with sound right now.

Also this looks fantastic. It basically looks exactly how I remember playing it on my laptop even though I'm sure it's got much lower settings, but it definitely retains the same vision. Happy to plunk down $60 for this, would be happier if it had gyro aiming but what can you do.

Well, motion controls are the main reason I play these kinds of games and if they don't have them, then I won't buy them. It's as simple as that. I also make a point to let the devs know why I didn't buy it. There is no way I'm gonna compromise on this. I don't care that much about the FPS, but I do care about motion controls/gyro aiming. If they don't add it, then I won't buy their game. It's that simple for me and a bit of a hardline. There are way too many games to play currently that I can live without DOOM.

Archanfel

I still can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. I can't be the only one.

To feel the difference all you have to do is play it on a PC and run it at 60 then use Rivatuner to lock it to 30. Then play it at 30. You'll notice. It may not bother you, but it's most definitely noticeable.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I still can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps. I can't be the only one.

For me it's instantly noticable, I honestly don't know how you can't see, let alone feel the difference. Whenever I go from a PC game to a console game it's jarring as hell, like the game is running in slow motion. This has only gotten worse since I moved to a 144Hz monitor.

dafortune

To feel the difference all you have to do is play it on a PC and run it at 60 then use Rivatuner to lock it to 30. Then play it at 30. You'll notice. It may not bother you, but it's most definitely noticeable.

I've played pc games that allow you to set the frame rate in settings and I couldn't tell. The only time I've been able to tell is in videos where the same movie is being played with different fps side to side.

Splatoon 2 does it really well!

I'm thinking in terms of if people are expecting Metroid Prime 3 style controls with the Joy Cons. That wouldn't work close to the level as was on Wii.

I guess you could have a dual stick setup like Splatoon and use the gyro purely to adjust your aim, but thats as far as it could realistically go. Can't imagine it would work as well as in first person as third person though.

ajjow

Asking about GTA5 because two people on gaff werenkilling everyone some time ago on another thread saying switch cant run gta online... they were saying that gta online was too complex, thats why rockstar abandoned ps3 and 360.

EDarkness

I'm thinking in terms of if people are expecting Metroid Prime 3 style controls with the Joy Cons. That wouldn't work close to the level as was on Wii.

I guess you could have a dual stick setup like Splatoon and use the gyro purely to adjust your aim, but thats as far as it could realistically go.

I never adjust with the other stick in Splatoon 2. I use it EXACTLY like I do remote and nunchuck. It can be done and done well.

Of course you can. Play a game at 60 fps on PC vs. 30 fps.
I have, and honestly unless I'm looking for it I don't notice it. Even frame dips in games like BoTW and Bloodborne that are noticeable have no significant impact on my enjoyment of the game.

If they really irritate you fair enough, but not passively noticing 30/60 much is more broad than just "play on PC and get back to me".

I'm looking at that pile of consoles and then being flabbergasted that people expected more.... Sheesh.

Looks fantastic to me and firmly reaffirms in my head that Bethesda are doing MP4.

I guess you could have a dual stick setup like Splatoon and use the gyro purely to adjust your aim, but thats as far as it could realistically go.

That's a far better way to aim than even the pointer aiming like in MP3 in my opinion, since you use the sticks for your broad movement and the gyro for the fine adjustments basically at the same time. It works wonderfully in BotW, and I wish every single game with shooting/aiming could use it too.

But the difference between that aiming in BotW/WWHD/Zelda 3DS remakes and DOOM is that DOOM is a FPS where you are always aiming, whereas in Zelda the gyro aiming is only triggered when you hit the button to pull out your bow. Splatoon does this too, which is potentially one of the reasons why it limits your stick aiming to just horizontal, which I personally can't stand. So it's a slightly different setup, but I think still miles ahead of dual analog alone and much more robust than simple pointer controls.

Mouse aiming is obviously still the gold standard though.

Yup that's portable Doom alright. Shame about the framerate. Although... I do wonder if they'll have the chance to bump up anything in docked mode.

I never adjust with the other stick in Splatoon 2. I use it EXACTLY like I do remote and nunchuck. It can be done and done well.

It wouldn't work close to that level in a constant first person environment.

It's impossible as the Switch doesn't have a sensor bar.

That re-centre the camera button on Splatoon is secretly a recalibrate button.

Imagine having to press that while playing Doom.

Archanfel

I've played pc games that allow you to set the frame rate in settings and I couldn't tell. The only time I've been able to tell is in videos where the same movie is being played with different fps side to side.

I don't see how. Maybe you're confusing motion blur with smoothness. It smudges out the choppyness by blurring the image between frames, but honestly isn't enough to fool most people. I guess try turning off motion blur in a game and see if you can tell.

HeroR

It would. Call of Duty on the Wii U uses gyro just fine.

Damn, this looks great

Day one

It is better.

SIRF

Same here, I have to really squint even in side by side comparisons and maybe sometimes I see a difference.

The only time I notice a difference is when things really slow down below 30.

Spinluck

I'm just glad this coming to Switch, hopefully more devs give the console a chance and port something over.

Doom and Wolfenstein were the last things I expected to come over.

I guess you could have a dual stick setup like Splatoon and use the gyro purely to adjust your aim, but thats as far as it could realistically go. Can't imagine it would work as well as in first person as third person though.

I got ya. I just always imagined Splatoon 2 from the get-go and never even imagined "pointer" controls like that. I'd be all for using dual sticks (in both portable mode and with a Pro Controller) with just horizontal aiming on the stick. Using Gyro for everything else just feels so smooth and satisfying.

30 FPS and gyro aiming for a fast paced game is not a great combination.

I still think it's a good option.

Not that RE Rev is as fast paced as Doom, but I know a lot of people swear by gyro aiming in that title as the game ramps things up substantially in the later Raid mode levels, even compared to the dual analogue versions on other platforms.

EDarkness

I'm totally fine with that. Those who want to use dual analog can use that and those who want to use gyro aiming can do that. I don't mind hitting the recalibrate button every now and again. I'd much rather point at the screen than use dual analog. If a FPS game is released on the NS without it, then I won't be buying that game. It's as simple as that for me.

Also in the no gyro no buy club. So disappointed. I already own the game on the PS4, and I would have gladly double dipped for the gyro controls.

Deku89

To be fair, a lot of people said when it was announced if Doom wasn't 60 fps, they wouldn't buy it. I don't really see the need to defend the game's specs from those people.

Porting lower version games will have to be a game 3rd parties will have to play with the Switch. Which is why they probably only let them play in handheld mode (promote portability over graphics and frame rate). It'll be interesting to see if these ports sell well.

I don't personally care to much about fps, as long as it's stable and plays well. No gyro is disappointing (I can't go back after Splatoon).

Copy-paste Splatoon's gyro controls onto this game and I'll buy it twice, Bethesda, for a grand total of three times. Hell, just dangle the possibility of it being patched at some indeterminate date and I will.

CrisKre

That looks fanfuckingtastic.

30fps is a bummer but all things considered its fairly fantastic what the Switch is puting out here.

The little machine that could.

Doom w/ gyro aiming would be crazy af. I'd be afraid of accidentally flinging my switch against the wall or something.

I've played Doom with gyro aiming. It's much better than analog stick aiming imo.

Top Bottom