• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen Super Mario 3D World Footage with Audio

Dr.Hadji

To you it wasn't but for a lot of people it was. It took huge risks and it's graphics where superb. It actually looks great to this day. I've never called this game a filler, it just a huge letdown for me.

The original guy I quoted called it filler. I really don't have a problem with anything you said. While I have your attention though what huge risks do you think Sunshine took (besides its visuals)? It was Mario 64 with jet packs. And of the risks you think it takes, how do you think they're riskier than what 3d World is doing with multiplayer and such.

I'm just asking. I feel like, objectively, the Mushroom Kingdom aesthetic is the opposite of generic, it's just that's it's been more or less established for ~16 years now, to the point that it's been over-saturated. If the setting was 'new' - like space, or a tropical island were - would it be different, even if the levels were otherwise the same? I dunno. Maybe it would be.

For me more Mario platformers is not a problem as they are the best in its genre. But it is painful to see nintendo playing it safe, when they can do so much more. They are repeating the mistake they did with the NSMB series, which is criticized constantly for not innovating, even though each game is actually good.

Van Owen

Banned
I'm convinced this has to be a 3DS game moved to Wii U while the team figures out what's next for Mario. There's just no way the company has fallen this far.

ec0ec0

I know that shunshine is not the best 3d mario but... if we are just taking about mario controls and movement options... i think that i will never play anything that i like more than that. It was fun, fast and, if you know how to exploit it, mario had an answer for anything you wanted. I am sure that many people finished the game without knowing what mario could do. The combination of mario regular jumps, the spin jump, being able to spin at any moment of a jump (gaining acces to a instant triple jump at any moment), the dive button (B button) in combination with all the jumps, the infinite number of possibilities thanks to the water in combination with everything else... Seriouly, it was difficult to remember all the moves and animations that mario had in that game and that you could use at any moment. The only way of understating it its seeing an any% run of super mario sunshine done by someone like samura1man. Thanks shunshine.

NINTENDO!!! bring back the dive button!... i loved it soooooo much.

E-Cat

Not to me it wasn't. Besides, what does the game being good have to do with it being a "filler" game. What does the game being good have to do with it not looking bland or thinking the game looks too safe? 3D World is not even out yet, the possibility of it being a good game obviously isn't going to solve some people's problems with the game.
Sunshine refined the mechanics from SM64 to absolute perfection. It may not have been revolutionary, but it was far from a regression.

In 3d World, the isometric perspective and a focus on multiplayer are huge red flags. They give off a certain vibe, from which you can deduce the priorities for this project. Moving the platforming genre forward in a big way is not one of them.

Looks amazing. Shame so many people are underestimating it because it isn't Lord of the Rings.
That's not what people are saying.

I'm convinced this has to be a 3DS game moved to Wii U while the team figures out what's next for Mario. There's just no way the company has fallen this far.

What has got you convinced that is the case? I can find no evidence of this, other than it is a sequel and (while this may surprise you) sequels don't have to be for the same platform, even initially.

The original guy I quoted called it filler. I really don't have a problem with anything you said. While I have your attention though what huge risks do you think Sunshine took (besides its visuals)? It was Mario 64 with jet packs. And of the risks you think it takes, how do you think they're riskier than what 3d World is doing with multiplayer and such.

-The jetpack changed the dinamics of how it was played.
-The setting was different from any other mario game.
- Firt mario game where you could completely control the camera.

Sunshine had a lot of missteps, but it brought a lot of new things to the series. As for the 3D world multplayer it actually looks a lot of fun, but I don't see how it is bringing something new to the series. NSMB series already had multplayer.

I might come off as a hater to the game, but I'm not. I also know that the end product might be a lot of fun, and if it does I'll eagerly play it. As a nintendo fan though, it was a letdown.

Edit: I also doubt that this game began as a 3DS project. Also I have to state how much a love having civilized discussions on Gaf :)

TreIII

Christ. I adore the shit out of the 3D Mario titles, but one can't help notice the fact that this game appears to be more "Mario" than anything else before it. They bloody nailed it.

I agree with this.

Sure, there'll probably be a more "Galaxy-style" Mario game later on down the line. But for now, I'm looking to be enjoying 3D World. Especially since it and its predecessor are definitely more in line with what I wanted from "3D Mario" than anything 64-G2 were.

DaBoss

Sunshine refined the mechanics from SM64 to absolute perfection. It may not have been revolutionary, but it was far from a regression.

In 3d World, the isometric perspective and a focus on multiplayer are huge red flags. They give off a certain vibe, from which you can deduce the priorities for this project. Moving the platforming genre forward in a big way is not one of them.

I disagree with this sentiment completely. With 3D Land, they went back to square one and redid what a 3D Mario would be with the gameplay mechanics of a 2D Mario game. Just like SM64 -> Sunshine, we are seeing 3D Land -> 3D World. That's what this game is. An isometric view being the main detriment for this game is bullshit if 3D Land is anything to go by, and even then, you are free to change the position of the camera in this game in single-player.

3D Land moved the platforming genre in a new direction. I still think SMG2 is my GOTF, but 3D Land and SM64 are still close behind and offer different things. I don't think 3D World will be anything short of an amazing game.

There is no locked isometric perspective in single player. The camera is fully controllable.

Dr.Hadji

For me more Mario platformers is not a problem as they are the best in its genre. But it is painful to see nintendo playing it safe, when they can do so much more. They are repeating the mistake they did with the NSMB series, which is criticized constantly for not innovating, even though each game is actually good.

This comparison to NMB is crazy to me. 3d World is repeating a mistake no greater than the one SMB2 Lost Levels did or Galaxy 2 did.

IceCold

I think people wouldn't have a problem with this game if it existed alongside a proper Mario 3D game ala Mario Galaxy,

3D Land, 3D World, and Galaxy 2 all have the SAME producer and director, both of whom also worked in high-level positions on Galaxy 1 (director and level-design director respectively).

There is no huge, Galaxy-style game in secret development. If you believe that, you're in denial.

3D Land, 3D World, and Galaxy 2 all have the SAME producer and director, both of whom also worked in high-level positions on Galaxy 1 (director and level-design director respectively).

There is no huge, Galaxy-style game in secret development. If you believe that, you're in denial.

No wonder 3D Land was so good. I'll have to replay it soon.

Volotaire

Well ofc they always have games in production.

But yes, this is the next BIG 3D mario game.

E-Cat

There is no locked isometric perspective in single player. The camera is fully controllable.
I know, but that's not the point. What I meant is, there's no behind-the-shoulder view. Go back and play some SMS. Notice how fluid and fast Mario moves? To me, that's what the series is all about.

I want a robust set of acrobatic moves and a character that responds instantly to my every whim - none of this demented, slow-paced tedium.

I know, but that's not the point. What I meant is, there's no behind-the-shoulder view. Go back and play some SMS. Notice how fluid and fast Mario moves? To me, that's what the series is all about.

I want a robust set of acrobatic moves and a character that responds instantly to my every whim - none of this demented, slow-paced tedium.

You must have been looking at some other footage. I still see a full complement of acrobatic moves and responsive movement.

DaBoss

And I did see everything you just stated in the footage, except it wasn't a behind the shoulders perspective.

Vorundor

I can't get over the fact this game looks like HD 3DL. That turns me off so much.

Sadly, that seems to be the trend with Nintendo, same thing they did in the Wii with NSMB and now with NSMBU. Nevertheless, this one looks like fun. I just wish they were a bit more original with the world/feel of the game.

E-Cat

Harmless comparison to something "epic" not meant to be taken seriously. :p
But you were insinuating that the majority of the negative response stems from the game not being "epic" enough, were you not? :b

Now, don't get me wrong - I do have a problem with the game's overall presentation. But by far the biggest problem is the unambitious 2.5D gameplay mechanic being brought over from the handheld to represent what should be a flagship Mario for a next-gen home console.

You must have been looking at some other footage. I still see a full complement of acrobatic moves and responsive movement.

And I did see everything you just stated in the footage, except it wasn't a behind the shoulders perspective.

Good for you, then. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :) I've been feeling this way since the first Galaxy, btw.

DaBoss

Good for you, then. We'll just have to agree to disagree. :) I've been feeling this way since the first Galaxy, btw.

Then I'll have to disagree with you further. While I do feel SMG Mario may be slow at times, he was far more acrobatic in SMG than Sunshine.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I think people wouldn't have a problem with this game if it existed alongside a proper Mario 3D game ala Mario Galaxy,

people wouldn't have a problem with this game if it had a immediate graphical oomph, just like them Galaxys. That's to be expected, though, and the Sonic game cycle in reverse will end at launch

leroidys

As someone who's actually playing SMG1 for the first time, I have to agree with you. It's all the transitions from section to section within the levels that makes it grandiose than it actually is. I'm looking forward to SM3DW.

One thing I have to comment on:

Does anyone else think the cat suit is a bit OP?

That's what I was thinking, but then again the leaf and feather were SUPER amazing in their respective games.

Do you dislike both of the Galaxy games as well, out of curiosity? Mario certainly doesn't move fluidly and fast in those games, at least compared to 64 and Sunshine he doesn't (but I think that's attributable to the removal of the dive move as well as the gravity mechanic)

Edit: THERE'S EVEN STAR COINS

That's a comet medal. Completely different
Not really, exactly the same except there's only one in a level

But you were insinuating that the majority of the negative response stems from the game not being "epic" enough, were you not? :b

Now, don't get me wrong - I do have a problem with the game's overall presentation. But by far the biggest problem is the unambitious 2.5D gameplay mechanic being brought over from the handheld to represent what should be a flagship Mario for a next-gen home console.

Well yes, exactly this. This is the common complaint I see, and I translate it into people not thinking the game is "big" enough, as in not 3D (despite being 3D, just not the kind of 3D that we're talking about here), not bigger in scope/scale, hence my LOTR comment. And who said that this is the big flagship Mario title for Wii U? As far as I can recall we had the NSMB and Galaxy on Wii, why can't Wii U have several types of Mario games?

I think it looks great. I also think the Wii U will get more than just this.

rex

Man this is the perfect example to show how close 3D World is going to be to Galaxy. Seriously, watch this video and imagine if the level were flattened. It's exactly like a 3D Land level. Exactly.

Like, I seriously can't get over how much this video you posted is exactly like the game everyone is bitching about.

Not really. That level from SMG 2 rarely has you doing the same thing twice. It introduces and discards three different gameplay elements (the spinning platforms, the weird floor-eating skulls, and the snakeblock) that 3D Land or World would've built entire stages out of.

Most 3D Land stages have one idea that they use for the entire level. It's pretty clear 3D World is going to be the same thing. 4-2 (pipes) and 6-3 (clouds/conveyor belts) have on idea repeated throughout the entire stage. Galaxy isn't like that at all. It has nothing to do with the camera angles or the gravity elements or the star shooters.

Now, comparing the Bowser level to regular stages may not be the fairest comparison. But if you look at the 3D Land Bowser stages you'll see the same thing. They're not even in Galaxy's league.

Zeeman

Seriously, if the camera was automatically behind Mario, I feel like half of the complainers would like this game way more.

Wynnebeck

Banned
people wouldn't have a problem with this game if it had a immediate graphical oomph, just like them Galaxys. That's to be expected, though, and the Sonic game cycle in reverse will end at launch

It's not even the graphics. The graphics look great. It's the fact that the game looks like an expanded console version of 3D Land. If you shrunk the game down and fit it on a 3DS, I'd bet people would think it was a sequel to 3DL. I'm inclined to believe the rumor of this being a 3DS game brought to the Wii U especially after seeing OP's video.

E-Cat

Do you dislike both of the Galaxy games as well, out of curiosity? Mario certainly doesn't move fluidly and fast in those games
I actually like them, but I do dislike the way Mario moves. :p Look up my comment #119.

Then I'll have to disagree with you further. While I do feel SMG Mario may be slow at times, he was far more acrobatic in SMG than Sunshine.
This seems to be a very divisive issue. Surely, you're not referring to the cinematic transitions? Mario moves a lot slower in Galaxy, it's simply a function of the spherical terrain.

YES NWR always delivers. Thanks!

Hopefully the orchestration is there in the later stages of development.

EDIT: AM I the only one who thinks the main tune is actually pretty damn catchy?
Orchestra essentially confirmed:

http://www.destructoid.com/super-mario-3d-world-reunites-mario-galaxy-composers-256073.phtml

We were fortunate to get a question in with the game's directors (via the super official Chad Concelmo!), and of course, I was interested in the game's audio. They were able to confirm the return of series composer Koji Kondo and recent-addition Mahito Yokota (Super Mario Galaxy) for the game's soundtrack. When asked about the possibility of live orchestral recordings (which were featured in Galaxy), we got some whispering, a wink, and a coy, "Wait for more information about that soon."

people wouldn't have a problem with this game if it had a immediate graphical oomph, just like them Galaxys.

Sorry, but that's bullshit. You don't get to decide what other people's issues with the game are. The problem is that 3D World doesn't show an immediate gameplay oomph.

DaBoss

This seems to be a very divisive issue. Surely, you're not referring to the cinematic transitions? Mario moves a lot slower in Galaxy, it's simply a function of the spherical terrain.

Nah, talking about the fact that Mario has more jumping/acrobatic moves at his disposal than Sunshine Mario.

I already said I feel SMG Mario feels slower than Sunshine Mario. :p

Calamari41

41 > 38
Not really. That level from SMG 2 rarely has you doing the same thing twice. It introduces and discards three different gameplay elements (the spinning platforms, the weird floor-eating skulls, and the snakeblock) that 3D Land or World would've built entire stages out of.

Most 3D Land stages have one idea that they use for the entire level. It's pretty clear 3D World is going to be the same thing. 4-2 (pipes) and 6-3 (clouds/conveyor belts) have on idea repeated throughout the entire stage. Galaxy isn't like that at all. It has nothing to do with the camera angles or the gravity elements or the star shooters.

Now, comparing the Bowser level to regular stages may not be the fairest comparison. But if you look at the 3D Land Bowser stages you'll see the same thing. They're not even in Galaxy's league.

You couldn't possibly be more wrong

That castle is halfway through the game. Anyway, the same people are designing all of these games. You really think they're going to forget how to design a level? Are they going to sandbag or something?

Formless

Watching that Galaxy video I do miss the orchestral music and the generally beefy sound effects. Hopefully the new Mario World takes some atmospheric cues from it, but yeah the gameplay of 3D Land was really similar to Galaxy minus the gravity aspect.

EDIT: The beefier sound may just be my big speakers vs 3DS speakers, idk

Nah, talking about the fact that Mario has more jumping/acrobatic moves at his disposal than Sunshine Mario.

Not at all. FLUDD, as well as the dive, allow for far more acrobatics in Sunshine than in Galaxy. It's just the way the games are designed. I think it's especially apparent if you see a speedrun done of both games.

Saw only that first world at our Best Buy event. I'm a little more warm to the game now, I still think it'll be far better single player. The way the screen stretches and leaves you behind in multiplayer mode is too off putting.

ScOULaris

The thing that bothers me even more than the bland art style is the complete lack of difficulty. I realize that this is just a demo, but the level design on display here is atrocious by Mario standards. There are pretty much NO platforming segments in any of these stages. Players just need to run around the environment until they get to the flag, dodging a few slow enemies along the way. The fact that the camera is pulled so far back now makes things even easier too.

KrawlMan

Well this is great news.

Also after seeing more videos of the demo, the game looks pretty slick. For those that are disappointed, this is such a small taste of the game that I'm not sure it will be completely devoid of fantastical levels. The team is unbelievably talented, and I really doubt that they were completely stripped of all their imagination in making this game.

Top Bottom