• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen Super Mario 3D World Footage with Audio

aquavelva

Let me state this: I really really like mario games. I'm also a huge fan of 3D Land and I even tolerate NSMB for what it is trying to do. But this game screams laziness, and would had been ok if it was a 3DS sequel. But thats not the case, is heading to a console after the superb Mario Galaxy games, and compare to that it looks generic and bland.

I know in the near future Nintendo is probably going to announce a "proper" mario game, and I really hope thats the case, since their fans deserve better for their $350 purchase.

Edit: And I can't believe some posters are actually bashing the Galaxy games.

As always, I can only speak for myself, but the Wii U has been worth what I've paid for it so far. I got NSMBU, Zombi U and Super Metroid on VC. Planning to get W101, Pikmin 3, Batman, SM3DL, and WW HD this year alone (and I'm still planing on picking up MH3U some time soon). I'm loving my Wii U, I have a feeling I'm gonna spend more time with the Wii U this gen than the PS4.

That's that I call Super Mario World and Mario Sunshine. I don't particularly like what those games brought to the series so I'm going to call them lazy and bland. Is that how it works? I'm I doing this right?
You must have missed the first three words that said "the initial impression". You're putting words in my mouth.

Volotaire

Yo guys in this trailer look at 1:32

What's that video icon in the corner?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwwjcfgTksU#aid=P-_6kKFPkbY

Untitled.png

Alcander

Meh, looks really uninspired TBH. Huge backstep from galaxy (in terms of creativity). New suits are cool, and some interesting new items, but it just feels stale.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
always painful to watch someone play mario, but the game looks outstanding.

jblank83

That 13 minute trailer shows off some stunning level design. Say what you will about the art style or controls, the level design looks fantastic.

Orayn

Looks really, really great. It may lack the grand scope of 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy, but there's not a single doubt in my mind that it'll be an immense and incredibly satisfying platformer.

-I really wanted a Super Mario 64 sequel
-I love the cat suit
-the levels seem a little bland. I'm not sure if it's the design, or a lack of a compelling environmental theme.
-graphically it looks fine. "Basic" Mario, but serviceable.
-I'm liking the music--the tune in Mice Hills is super catchy
-I do NOT want orchestral music in this...

Alex

It looks very nice, but I'm still not thrilled this is what the new, big 3D Mario is. I really liked 3D Land, but I played so much of it and I guess I wanted something with more....granduer, it's certainly an element you just can't seem to get in platformers, anymore.

Will buy, but not right away.

Okay so I just rewatched the Nintendo Direct and im starting to firmly believe the "3D series" is a new branch for Mario games in the vein of New Super Mario Bros.

From the Direct Iwata explained the game as:

"What you just saw is the latest title in the Super Mario 3D series"

"This game represents the next step forward in the new style of Mario 3D games that we first introduced in Super Mario 3D Land for Nintendo 3DS."

Considering the stagnancy in the NSMB series, those are some scary quotes.

I didn't mean its a "rehash" game like the NSMB series. I meant it as that its a new branch for Mario games like how NSMB are the 2D games, Mario3D are the 3D/2D mix games, and games like 64, Sunshine, Galaxy/2 are the "real" 3D games. The use of word 3D makes it confusing but I think you get the point.

So basically im assuming we have 3 mainline series for Mario now:
New Super Mario Bros. _____
Super Mario 3D ______
Super Mario ______

Mael

I didn't mean its a "rehash" game like the NSMB series. I meant it as that its a new branch for Mario games like how NSMB are the 2D games, Mario3D are the 3D/2D mix games, and games like 64, Sunshine, Galaxy/2 are the "real" 3D games. The use of word 3D makes it confusing but I think you get the point.

New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 3D ______
Super Mario ______

More like

_____ Super Mario Bros. _____
Super Mario 3D ______
Super Mario ______

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't understand why this game on WiiU. The point of 3D Land was to show what 3D can do that other systems can't, right? For example, this room in 3D Land:

That was hardly the focus of the game. Those visual tricks were one of many new elements. Making the focus of the game a graphics feature that can be turned off would be very stupid.

3D Land was designed to fuse 2D and 3D Mario and create a style of gameplay that was as easy to understand as possible. It's meant to be the most accessible Mario game and the 3D visuals can help some players better understand the 3D gameplay space. The 8-way run is another way they've tried to bridge the gap between 2D and 3D gameplay. The game was received incredibly well in Japan because of this style of gameplay so it's understandable that they would build on it.

New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 3D ______
Super Mario ______

We'll have to see if they can shake it up better than they've done with NSMB. That series just depresses me.

New Super Mario Bros.
Super Mario 3D ______
Super Mario ______

I think it's a lot to assume that there'll be a third mainline series. I think it's reasonable to guess that this is their effort to homogenize 3D mario in the same way they homogenized 2D mario in the hopes that a distillation of the 3D mario games to the most basic elements of platforming with a consistent aesthetic will draw people in by selling them exactly what they already know they like. I'm hopeful I'm wrong, but that's my take on this.

I think it's a lot to assume that there'll be a third mainline series. I think it's reasonable to guess that this is their effort to homogenize 3D mario in the same way they homogenized 2D mario in the hopes that a distillation of the 3D mario games to the most basic elements of platforming with a consistent aesthetic will draw people in by selling them exactly what they already know they like. I'm hopeful I'm wrong, but that's my take on this.

Its alot to assume but its not impossible. As you stated it seems they're trying to bridge the gap between what people know and what people dont. I think having a 3rd series that implements both the styles of the NSMB and SMB___ just gives people another option and would help people familiarize themselves w/ what the SMB___ series can offer while still having its own unique experience.

Toparaman

Banned
NYAN NYAN!

That song in the first level is so kitschy and awful that it's catchy.

I don't get the people who would rather have Galaxy 3 than this. One of the things I used to admire about Nintendo is that they rarely made direct sequels. That's changed in recent years. 2 Galaxies is more than enough. As unambitious as 3D World is, it's still different enough from 3D Land that I don't consider it a direct sequel.

Btw, if anyone from Ninty is reading this: please convince the producers of 3D World to implement online multiplayer. I get that local mp is better, but that's not an option for everyone.

Don't for one second think that we aren't getting a Mario Galaxy 3/Universe or what ever Nintendo decides to call it type game as we are just it clearly isn't ready for released or to be shown off yet.

Besides, because it's not the next big 3D Mario game we get it much earlier. I'd rather Nintendo figure out HD development and make sure the next big sequel is 1080p 60 FPS.

Where are you guys getting this from? Sounds like wishful thinking to me.

nubbe

Btw, if anyone from Ninty is reading this: please convince the producers of 3D World to implement online multiplayer. I get that local mp is better, but that's not an option for everyone.

They should take note from Rayman at least... online leadboards

IrishNinja

damn...this one's moving up on my list, gonna hurt around the holidays too
really wish it had online to play with gaffers, but lookin good nonetheless

I love the Mario illustration next to the # of lives. Good ol' 90s Mario. :'-)

Just realized.

THE TREES ARE STRAIGHT OUT OF MARIO 64!!! o_O

haha nice catches guys, agreed on both

This feels like classic mario more so than NSMB stuff does.

yeah that & the fun level design is what's doing it for me too

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Sorry, but that's bullshit. You don't get to decide what other people's issues with the game are. The problem is that 3D World doesn't show an immediate gameplay oomph.

I'm not deciding anything, that's just my opinion, or do we have to clarify it every time we write a post with our name before it? In my opinion had this game featured a more impressive graphical style and a spectacular trailer along with it, there would be much less people complaining

haikira

Despite my initial disappointment, i think i'm actually really warming up to this one. While I find it perhaps a little hard to articulate why, I almost think it looks like one of the best mixtures of the sensibilities of a 2D and 3D mario game, mixed in to one. I don't mean to imply it looks like it'll be the best 3D mario, but it looks like one that'll most feel comparable to it's 2D counterparts.

Funnily, similar to how i feel about Sonic Lost World on the Wii-U, which while a 3D sonic game, looks to at last capturing what makes the 2D sonic games great.

Top Bottom