• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen Super Mario 3D World Footage with Audio

E-Cat

Nah, talking about the fact that Mario has more jumping/acrobatic moves at his disposal than Sunshine Mario.
Does he really, though? There isn't even the dive jump, which is infinitely superior to the long jump (wish we could have both, like in SM64).

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Holy hell. I'll be straight with you guys, I wasn't feeling the game 'till this video. I can truly grasp how fine the graphics are now. This really makes me anticipate the arrival of my Wii U even more now.

Amaaaaazing quality, right there.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The thing that bothers me even more than the bland art style is the complete lack of difficulty. I realize that this is just a demo, but the level design on display here is atrocious by Mario standards. There are pretty much NO platforming segments in any of these stages. Players just need to run around the environment until they get to the flag, dodging a few slow enemies along the way. The fact that the camera is pulled so far back now makes things even easier too.

Mario 3D Land had levels as difficult as any Galaxy level. Please see my previous post for an example of a level halfway through the game, before the "special" challenge half. I trust these designers. What you saw was an E3 demo designed so that even a gaming journalist could beat it.

rex

You couldn't possibly be more wrong

That castle is halfway through the game. The same people are designing all of these games. You really think they're going to forget how to design a level? Are they going to sandbag or something?

The video from Galaxy 2 was the very first Bowser level. You just posted the second to last Bowser level from 3D Land, yet the Galaxy 2 video still has more variety in it.

In 3D Land, half the Bowser levels consists in battling Bowser anyway. There's hardly anything there. It's exactly what it seems to be: a stripped down, simplified version of what they produced in SMG 2.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The video from Galaxy 2 was the very first Bowser level. You just posted the second to last Bowser level from 3D Land, yet the Galaxy 2 video still has more variety in it.

In 3D Land, half the Bowser levels consists in battling Bowser anyway. There's hardly anything there. It's exactly what it seems to be: a stripped down, simplified version of what they produced in SMG 2.

The point is that the same exact people are designing this game. 3D Land played like Galaxy toned down for handhelds. Why do you think that they will all of a sudden be incapable of creating good levels? And I completely reject the idea that the Galaxy video had more "variety." Making half of a level into the boss fight itself is great, in my opinion.

Here's the final Galaxy Bowser level

Obviously great, but when flattened out, nothing mind-blowingly better than 3D Land put out, and by no means beyond what 3D World is capable of.

Mario 3D Land had levels as difficult as any Galaxy level. Please see my previous post for an example of a level halfway through the game, before the "special" challenge half. I trust these designers. What you saw was an E3 demo designed so that even a gaming journalist could beat it.

The prankster comet levels in both Galaxy games were probably harder than 3D Land. But yeah, the special worlds in 3D Land were fairly tough.
Special-Crown
was especially difficult

There's an additional eight worlds after that castle

DaBoss

Not at all. FLUDD, as well as the dive, allow for far more acrobatics in Sunshine than in Galaxy. It's just the way the games are designed. I think it's especially apparent if you see a speedrun done of both games.

We're not talking about the FLUDD though.

Does he really, though? There isn't even the dive jump, which is infinitely superior to the long jump (wish we could have both, like in SM64).

Well in SMG, the long jump would be more useful than the dive jump, while in Sunshine the dive jump would be more useful. I guess it can be said they are pretty much equally acrobatic and Nintendo just put in the moves that would be more appropriate for each game.

jokkir

I don't understand why this game on WiiU. The point of 3D Land was to show what 3D can do that other systems can't, right? For example, this room in 3D Land:

OCZ8JPB.jpg

With 3D on, you can see that the block is a bit off and without it, it looks like it's with the other blocks.

The WiiU can't do 3D or 3D isn't the primary feature of the system -- the off-screen gamepad is. Why didn't Nintendo do make something to take advantage of the feature? This just makes me think that it started off on the 3DS and then moved to WiiU when they noticed the 3DS was gaining a lot of ground.

But anyway, game looks great. I loved 3D Land so this should be even better :p

HoJu

why is there a 100s+ timer thing at the end of the boss level?
the levels shown seem similar in length/size to 3D Land...
also in the trailer some of the level gimmicks are taken straight out of 3D Land...

TriGen

I do prefer the more 'grand-scale' 3D Mario games, but this still looks really good. Despite spending a lot of money on gaming stuff later this year, I'll still have to pick up DKC and 3D Mario.

Volotaire

I don't understand why this game on WiiU. The point of 3D Land was to show what 3D can do that other systems can't, right? For example, this room in 3D Land:

OCZ8JPB.jpg

With 3D on, you can see that the block is a bit off and without it, it looks like it's with the other blocks.

The WiiU can't do 3D or 3D isn't the primary feature of the system -- the off-screen gamepad is. Why didn't Nintendo do make something to take advantage of the feature? This just makes me think that it started off on the 3DS and then moved to WiiU when they noticed the 3DS was gaining a lot of ground.

You can the camera in this one, which alleviates some of the depth concerns.

I loved the music in 3D Land so I hope this trend can continue but man does that game look really fun to play...and I'll never get tired of how colorful Mario can be...yes!

rex

The point is that the same exact people are designing this game. 3D Land played like Galaxy toned down for handhelds. Why do you think that they will all of a sudden be incapable of creating good levels? And I completely reject the idea that the Galaxy video had more "variety."

Here's the other two Bowser levels from Galaxy 2:

Second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4lih_fsZb4

Final Level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bn2fv1kF0

You honestly thing anything from 3D Land compares to what they showed off here?

Carpe Libertatem said:
There's an additional eight worlds after that castle

In which the level design for the Bowser stages remains almost exactly the same. The only thing that changes is there's a time limit, or a clone chasing you. Those are not new stages.

OCZ8JPB.jpg

Its going the panorama view route where manipulating the gamepad alters the perspective. Things like those rooms will standard across levels now was my impression.

HoJu

you know how the secret last level of 3D Land is super hard and the level designers were free to challenge you and do whatever the fuck they wanted? and when you beat the level it was super satisfying and made you think "wow this is a good videogame"?

i just want more of those levels. like 80 of them.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Here's the other two Bowser levels from Galaxy 2:

Second:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4lih_fsZb4

Final Level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8bn2fv1kF0

You honestly thing anything from 3D Land compares to what they showed off here?

If you flatten those levels out, they could easily be in 3D World. Barring the gravity stuff, of course.

It seems that you're not grasping my point. My point, as I stated in my last post, is that 3D Land is clearly a toned-down Galaxy for a handheld system. Please answer me why you think that the same exact people making each of these games will, with even more powerful hardware than Galaxy had, be incapable of creating levels with variety and difficulty?

Even if you think the 3D Land levels aren't as hard or don't have as much variety as Galaxy, which is a fine opinion to have, you surely must be able to see that the videos of the Bowser levels from the two games are incredibly similar. The difference is in the specific obstacles placed in the levels, and the fact that 3D land is flat while in Galaxy you fly from point to point and can sometimes run under the platforms.

Edit: You know, to me it seems like you may be thinking that I'm bashing Galaxy or something. Couldn't be further from the truth. Galaxy 1 and 2 are probably my Games of All Time. The thing is, 3D Land has very similar structure to the Galaxy platforming levels. Will 3D World's be better? Who knows. Maybe not. Galaxy 3's may not have been better. That's how amazing the first two games were.

But it is not right to say that 3D World represents some drastic cheapening of Galaxy's gameplay and level design. It is cut from the same cloth, now we just have to wait and see if the same people who designed the amazing Galaxy levels, and the great 3D Land levels, will top themselves in level design.

In which the level design for the Bowser stages remains almost exactly the same. The only thing that changes is there's a time limit, or a clone chasing you. Those are not new stages.

Weren't you just saying the stages rarely had you do different things in 3D Land? The structure does indeed remain the same (and I attribute that to laziness more than anything; 3D World looks to alleviate that), but the special worlds added extra mechanics as you said (short time limit or clone). Several mechanics within one level (and a Bowser stage with a clone following you plays quite a bit differently than one where it does not)

Calamari41

41 > 38
Weren't you just saying the stages rarely had you do different things in 3D Land? The structure does indeed remain the same (and I attribute that to laziness more than anything; 3D World looks to alleviate that), but the special worlds added extra mechanics as you said (short time limit or clone). Several mechanics within one level (and a Bowser stage with a clone following you plays quite a bit differently than one where it does not)

Plus a huge number of the special stages were completely different than the originals and very difficult.

Somnid

OCZ8JPB.jpg

I think you're too hung up on the title. 3D Land did do this, 3D World doesn't. The game makes heavy use of an isometric camera but isn't trying to trick you with it.

Van Owen

Banned
The point is that the same exact people are designing this game. 3D Land played like Galaxy toned down for handhelds. Why do you think that they will all of a sudden be incapable of creating good levels? And I completely reject the idea that the Galaxy video had more "variety." Making half of a level into the boss fight itself is great, in my opinion.

Here's the final Galaxy Bowser level

Obviously great, but when flattened out, nothing mind-blowingly better than 3D Land put out, and by no means beyond what 3D World is capable of.

Really hope the game has music like that instead of the midi bing bong crap.

-Eddman-

Really surprised with this video, the game looks really good. Somehow Nintendo managed to make the trailer really simple and boring. Oficially hyped for this.

Calamari41

41 > 38
your surprise is leading me to believe that you haven't finished 3D Land.
how dare you.

He clearly didn't make it close to halfway through considering he is just now seeing the World 8/16 Castle. And it's not the first to have that kind of challenge and quality design.

rex

I think that's different than the core design of the stage. Forcing you to attack the enemies to add time to the clock, or jump on a particularly dangerous platform to pick up another timepiece, does demand you to attack the level in a different way, but the obstacles don't change.

The best example I can give is the most extreme one. The final Bowser level from SMG 2 has you fighting hammer bros, using the flower to float to the lower platform, using the drill and avoiding Bullet Bills, platforming in the cylinder with the cloud suit, using Yoshi to swing across ledges, using Yoshi to speed run past the lava, platforming and avoiding the Blaargs on the snakeblock.

The final level from 3D Land has you riding on the rollercoaster to avoid fireballs, shooting from the cannon and...then you fight bowser. That's it.

Calamari41 said:
Even if you think the 3D Land levels aren't as hard or don't have as much variety as Galaxy, which is a fine opinion to have, you surely must be able to see that the videos of the Bowser levels from the two games are incredibly similar

I couldn't disagree more. See above.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I think that's different than the core design of the stage. Forcing you to attack the enemies to add time to the clock, or jump on a particularly dangerous platform to pick up another timepiece, does demand you to attack the level in a different way, but the obstacles don't change.

The best example I can give is the most extreme one. The final Bowser level from SMG 2 has you fighting hammer bros, using the flower to float to the lower platform, using the drill and avoiding Bullet Bills, platforming in the cylinder with the cloud suit, using Yoshi to swing across ledges, using Yoshi to speed run past the lava, platforming and avoiding the Blaargs on the snakeblock.

The final level from 3D Land has you riding on the rollercoaster to avoid fireballs, shooting from the cannon and...then you fight bowser. That's it.

I couldn't disagree more. See above.

Now you're just being completely disingenuous. The last castle in 3D Land has you fighting two Magikoopas, dodging lava monsters and jumping fireballs in a 3D and then 2D platforming section including climbing and jumping from pole to pole, riding a switch platform and manipulating it to avoid rushing lava monsters, fighting 3 boomerang bros, navigating platforms that appear and disappear with proximity while fighting magikoopas, and then the Bowser fight starts where you have to avoid his attacks all while jumping across small, rotating platforms, tightropes, crumbling footwalks, and the jumping fire guys.

Seriously. If you get to put "you fight hammer bros" as something that happens in Galaxy, I get to put all of the above as the things that happen in 3D Land.

Edit: Wow, now I see that you were being even more disingenuous than I thought. Rather than having to describe what happens in the last full level, that being the Bowser's Castle level that I posted a link to and described, you instead chose to use as representation the "technical" last level, which is a short and challenging leadup to the last boss fight. Come on. I might as well say that all you have to do in the last level of Galaxy is butt-stomp some yellow comets to open a gate.

hatchx

Banned

It does have some touch-feature thing, similar to the Super Mario Galaxy assist player. It also features off-screen play.

It's enough for me, I didn't want some gimmick that stops the action.

Calamari41

41 > 38
How anyone could be negative towards this game is beyond me. It looks fantastic.

They want the levels to be the same except they wrap around themselves, they want to fly from one section to the next instead of walking to it or going through a pipe, and they want the camera behind Mario's shoulder.

rex

Calamari41 said:
Please answer me why you think that the same exact people making each of these games will, with even more powerful hardware than Galaxy had, be incapable of creating levels with variety and difficulty?

3D Land is very good. But I think there's real differences between it and Galaxy that don't stem from the latter's camera angles or it's gravity influenced presentation.

How could it not be? Haven't many people said that 3D Land is their favorite because it's the closest thing to 2D Mario out of all the 3D games? Even closer than Galaxy?

Apart from whether or not 3D Land has the complexity or variety of the Galaxy games, it's simply asking you to get from point A to point B. Galaxy, as linear as it is, retains enough influence from 64 to play differently than 3D Land on a lot of the stages.

I think the two puzzle plank galaxies are good examples. In 3D Land, it's pure platforming. In Galaxy, the buzzsawed platforming segment takes place in between two other unrelated segments. That same type of section constitutes the entire level in 3D Land (though I'm sure it's shorter in Galaxy). In the Galaxy stage, you're stuck on a mini planet to start. Eventually you discover you need to ground pound it to advance to the next one (light puzzle solving is another difference between Galaxy and the 3D series). Then you advance to a third planet and it's only after that that you get to the buzzsaws. Then after the buzzsaws there's another, unrelated section.

rex

Now you're just being completely disingenuous. The last castle in 3D Land has you fighting two Magikoopas, dodging lava monsters and jumping fireballs in a 3D and then 2D platforming section including climbing and jumping from pole to pole, riding a switch platform and manipulating it to avoid rushing lava monsters, fighting 3 boomerang bros, navigating platforms that appear and disappear with proximity while fighting magikoopas, and then the Bowser fight starts where you have to avoid his attacks all while jumping across small, rotating platforms, tightropes, crumbling footwalks, and the jumping fire guys.

Seriously. If you get to put "you fight hammer bros" as something that happens in Galaxy, I get to put all of the above as the things that happen in 3D Land.

Edit: Wow, now I see that you were being even more disingenuous than I thought. Rather than having to describe what happens in the last full level, that being the Bowser's Castle level that I posted a link to and described, you instead chose to use as representation the "technical" last level, which is a short and challenging leadup to the last boss fight. Come on. I might as well say that all you have to do in the last level of Galaxy is butt-stomp some yellow comets to open a gate.

You're thinking of the second to last castle, which I still think is pretty tame by Galaxy standards.

Krowley

The one thing that really appeals to me about this game, and the videos I've seen of 3D land, is that they both seem to be a real distillation of 2D mario in 3D, all the way down to the flagpoles at the ends of the stages.

It's very abstract, very "point A to point B." I could learn to love that.

I mean, if you're going to take mario in a "back to basics" direction, then you might as well go all the way, and just make as pure a platformer as possible.

Single player videos like the one in the OP have definitely calmed my nerves considerably over the last few days regarding this game. When there are 4 people hopping around, it's so distracting that it's hard to appreciate the finer points of the level design. I'm still not 100% hyped, but I'm moving in that direction. I want to see more of the game, to get a sense of the variety, and I need to know how big it is. Also I need to make sure they haven't sacrificed the single player experience to make multi easier... I don't think they have, based on videos like the one in the OP, and there was even a quote from the director to reassure people about this, but some of the impressions of people who played it at Best-Buy and E3 are still worrisome.

Also I think Nintendo did a terrible job showing this game for the first time. The initial trailer emphasizes all the wrong things about it. If the game has the kind of exciting platforming shown in some of the 3D Land videos people are posting, the trailer should make that clear. Galaxy's first trailer did a much better job selling the idea behind the game and showing the potential.

Calamari41

41 > 38
3D Land is very good. But I think there's real differences between it and Galaxy that don't stem from the latter's camera angles or it's gravity influenced presentation.

How could it not be? Haven't many people said that 3D Land is their favorite because it's the closest thing to 2D Mario out of all the 3D games? Even closer than Galaxy?

Apart from whether or not 3D Land has the complexity or variety of the Galaxy games, it's simply asking you to get from point A to point B. Galaxy, as linear as it is, retains enough influence from 64 to play differently than 3D Land on a lot of the stages.

I think the two puzzle plank galaxies are good examples. In 3D Land, it's pure platforming. In Galaxy, the buzzsawed platforming segment takes place in between two other unrelated segments. That same type of section constitutes the entire level in 3D Land (though I'm sure it's shorter in Galaxy). In the Galaxy stage, you're stuck on a mini planet to start. Eventually you discover you need to ground pound it to advance to the next one (light puzzle solving is another difference between Galaxy and the 3D series). Then you advance to a third planet and it's only after that that you get to the buzzsaws. Then after the buzzsaws there's another, unrelated section.

I think that's a poor example. The first part is incredibly simple and could easily be done in 3D World. The second is wholly dependent on the gravity mechanic and being able to run on the other side of the planet to butt-stomp the blocks into place. And the post-buzzsaw part is also dependent on being able to get to the side of the blocks to butt-stomp them into place. The non-buzzsaw parts could only exist in Galaxy. No other iteration of Mario, be it 64-2, Sunshine 2, New, or 3D, could replicate them.

What is interesting is that you've just established that 3D Land, a handheld game in the style of 3D World, was able to replicate one of the more memorable parts of Galaxy (the buzzsaw section). Can you see now why I feel that the same team, composed of the same designers, might be able to create some imaginative, fun, and difficult levels on even more powerful hardware than Galaxy had access to?

You're thinking of the second to last castle, which I still think is pretty tame by Galaxy standards.

Yeah, I edited my previous post to address this. Clearly the level I'm talking about is the last true level, while the one you're talking about is short lead-up to a boss fight. You may think it's tame by Galaxy standards, that's fine, but if the level twisted around itself it would fit right into either Galaxy game and nobody would blink.

SnipeyMcGee

I really would like to play it. It hasn't sold me yet, but it looks pretty fun. It's definitely missing the usual console Mario grandeur, so that's disappointing. Misaligned expectations I suppose.

Fredrik

Wow :eek: It looks fantastic in this video! I certainly hope N does a better job selling the game in commercials than in the ND video, it looks ten times better here than in their own announcement video.

The one thing that really appeals to me about this game, and the videos I've seen of 3D land, is that they both seem to be a real distillation of 2D mario in 3D, all the way down to the flagpoles at the ends of the stages.

It worked really well, in my opinion, in 3D Land.

I loved the Galaxy games and Sunshine, and had a lot of fun with them, but they started to have a whiff of Mario pasted on to different concepts. 3D Land (and hopefully World) feel more true to the wider Mario universe, in a sense, to me.

Also I think Nintendo did a terrible job showing this game for the first time. The initial trailer emphasizes all the wrong things about it.

Yes, I will agree with that. Having watched the trailer well over 20 times now, it does an incredibly poor job of showing off the potential of the game and is far too limited in its scope. I understand what they were going for (focus on the levels playable at E3/Best Buy) and reveal more later to increase hype, but I feel like seeing a teaser with a bigger level or a cut-scene or something couldn't have hurt.

This footage got me more excited to play than all the other footage combined. Probably because it still looks really fun single player.

rex

Calamari41 said:

You already brought up the 'real' final level before, which i replied to.

The final level of Galaxy 2 has you using almost every suit and power up from the game. Literally every section of it is completely different.

Your description of the second to last Bowser level reads like a laundry list of basic Mario tasks and actions. Jumping from pole to pole? Fighting magikoopas? Riding the switch platform is about the only thing I'd cite as being similar to Galaxy in the way elements are used and then immediately thrown aside in favor of something better. And it's not even a particularly interesting element. It certainly doesn't compare to swimming in the second Bowser level in Galaxy 2. Besides the hammer bros fight I cited, Is there anything in 3D Land to compare to the other examples I listed?

Calamari41 said:
I think that's a poor example. The first part is incredibly simple and could easily be done in 3D World. The second is wholly dependent on the gravity mechanic and being able to run on the other side of the planet to butt-stomp the blocks into place. And the post-buzzsaw part is also dependent on being able to get to the side of the blocks to butt-stomp them into place. The non-buzzsaw parts could only exist in Galaxy. No other iteration of Mario, be it 64-2, Sunshine 2, New, or 3D, could replicate them.

What is interesting is that you've just established that 3D Land, a handheld game in the style of 3D World, was able to replicate one of the more memorable parts of Galaxy (the buzzsaw section). Can you see now why I feel that the same team, composed of the same designers, might be able to create some imaginative, fun, and difficult levels on even more powerful hardware than Galaxy had access to?

The point is Galaxy's level encompassed one of 3D Land's while adding gameplay to the front and back end of it. The stage also has a boss fight and additional sections (on different stars). It accomplishes everything the 3D land level does, while dwarfing it in size and scope.

atbigelow

I am only at Special World 2 in SM3L, but I do know I had a surprisingly good time with it. I was more frustrated at the circle pad and 30 FPS than anything else.

One thing that I do miss about Super Mario 64 and Sunshine, though, is that the levels felt very "grounded." Of course that ends up creating things like invisible level boundaries, which they kind of just designed away in SM3L and Galaxy 1+2. Most of the levels are just floating areas. They're able to retain the "fall down the hole and die" challenge of them. Really, this game needs an awesome world map. I think that is what really tied the original Super Mario World together so amazingly.

While I do appreciate that SM3W lets you change the camera with the right stick, I still hope there's some kind floating camera mode you can enable. That and letting the camera zoom out a bit more would fix some of my issues seen.

Still day one purchase, though.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You already brought up the 'real' final level before, which i replied to.

The final level of Galaxy 2 has you using almost every suit and power up from the game. Literally every section of it is completely different.

Your description of the second to last Bowser level reads like a laundry list of basic Mario tasks and actions. Jumping from pole to pole? Fighting magikoopas? Riding the switch platform is about the only thing I'd cite as being similar to Galaxy in the way elements are used and then immediately thrown aside in favor of something better. And it's not even a particularly interesting element. It certainly doesn't compare to swimming in the second Bowser level in Galaxy 2. Besides the hammer bros fight I cited, Is there anything in 3D Land to compare to the other examples I listed?

The point is Galaxy's level encompassed one of 3D Land's while adding gameplay to the front and back end of it. The stage also has a boss fight and additional sections (on different stars). It accomplishes everything the 3D land level does, while dwarfing it in size and scope.

You know, I think we're going to just have to agree to disagree. I feel that 3D Land represents a toned-down version of Galaxy platforming for handheld and that the same team working on vastly more powerful hardware will be able to expand on that greatly, and unless I'm mistaken you don't think they will be able to expand or improve upon 3D Land.

Since you asked though, I will say that you fight hammer bros all the time in Land, you float down from one platform to another through obstacles all the time, you platform and dodge bullet bills all the time (though not with the gravity mehanic), and if they had included Yoshi I'm sure they would let you run with him. And there are snake blocks in Land, too, if I recall. That leaves, what, the drill, the cloud suit, and the Yoshi swinging? Hardly mind blowing or impossible to replicate in my opinion. I also find it funny that you dismissed platforming and pole jumping as standard, but then cited swimming as some revelation in Galaxy. The question isn't even "was this in 3D Land," but rather "is this something that can only be done with the gravity mechanic." Once again, we're talking about the same designers for both games. If they decide they want to let you go through a snake block obstacle course, they will add it.

Top Bottom