• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ellis

EDIT: Scheisse not on the new page.

Basically:

The World according to ResetERA:

KOY4a3Q.gif

The World according to NeoGAF:

GrandioseSpryDoe.gif

tumblr_ndg9op7s0Q1qcjzvuo1_500.gif

IT IS NOW!

Winter John

Gold Member
Because he obviously has played games before with generic white dudebro's and it was not a problem then. So user is an asshole, because he is a hypocrite.

My guess is that he never cared or paid attention to it before and thanks to the wonderful small-scale influence of ERA, he now believes it is a problem.

Even when by comparison most people would still buy problematic games from Atlus or Hashino on that very same site.

Playing as a type of character and growing tired of it doesn't make him a hypocrite or an asshole. I grew bored of Gears Of War by the 3rd one. Liked the previous two well enough but I never want to play another one.

JordanN

Banned
Why is he an asshole for not wanting to play a generic white guy?
Turn the tables around and imagine someone said "I would be happy to never play as black people in games ever again". Are you going to tell me they wont be painted as a Nazi?
And yes, he did also express excitement over such sentence.

That is exactly how that sentence would read just by changing a few words around.

Last edited:

Mochilador

It's an anti-white day on Resetera.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/representation-is-important.101572/page-2#post-18242670
JpkvFD9.png

We need more diversity.
We need more diversity.
We need more diversity.
We need more diversity.
We need more diversity.

Has anyone ever asked, when is diversity suppose to end? Have the liberals, or anyone on the left, ever told us when can we expect diversity to come to a close, or are we suppose to accept diversity till humanity goes extinct?

And check out this asshole's reply.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/representation-is-important.101572/page-2#post-18242632
NngZcW0.png

Why does diversity always require white people to disappear? I'm being serious. None of the chucklefucks at Resetera have moderated this person's post, so clearly they're ok with white people people never being in video games ever again.

Cerium's forum likes to take extreme liberties when it comes to who is allowed to be offended.

MfFK3rM.png
Their obsession with race is insane.
They pretty much hate white people and at the same time present themselves as "good people", "humanitarians".
People should be hired for their skills, not their race. It's a business, not a Power Rangers squad.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
"Friends is problematic"

Lol ok im done. Friends is one of the most mild sitcoms ever....i have complained about mundane bs in the past but never could i have imagined it would be in vogue like this. Anyone whining about toxic masculinity in Friends has never gone hungry or been without shelter and needs to grow some testicles. It will be a shock when (if?) they face real adversity in their lives.

Fox Mulder

"Friends is problematic"

Lol ok im done. Friends is one of the most mild sitcoms ever....i have complained about mundane bs in the past but never could i have imagined it would be in vogue like this. Anyone whining about toxic masculinity in Friends has never gone hungry or been without shelter and needs to grow some testicles. It will be a shock when (if?) they face real adversity in their lives.

There was a teens react to Seinfeld video a few months back that triggered me. Humorless morons that couldn't even understand how such a show was allowed to be made. They took offense to an episode that got a glaad award in the 90s.

Futaleufu

"Friends is problematic"

The most offensive thing Friends ever did was turning Lisa Kudrow's character from a peace loving hippie to an hysteric yuppie executive.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Playing as a type of character and growing tired of it doesn't make him a hypocrite or an asshole.
On its own, i agree. But when you are going to use it as an argument that for so long we have had white character and we need diversity then you are pretty much ticking off the Ree narrative.

They are virtual characters in a virtual world. Unless a game aims for realism, why should it have to reflect real-world trends perse? If you want to do that, then it should fit in with the game and not just be an additional vehicle soldered in to gain attention.

Sadly i feel the latter is what is currently happening.

"Friends is problematic"

Scrubs probably is also problematic in their eyes since Hooch, a black guy, is considered Crazy in there, despite that one of the main characters (Turk) is also black. Oh, and the best doctor in the hospital is an elitarian white guy (Dr Cox).

If you look at series and movies in that way and are just looking for something that is not at ease with 2019 diversity standards, than its a problematic medium and we should all be damned for watching it.*

*The only two shows from the past you could really argue wouldn't be possible in this day and age is Married with Children and perhaps Roseanne. Oh and Knight Rider ofcourse. David Hasselhoff picking up chicks in his robot car... YIKES.

The most offensive thing Friends ever did was turning Lisa Kudrow's character from a peace loving hippie to an hysteric yuppie executive.
I thought the most offensive thing was having Lisa Kudrow as Phoebe be on the show. Honestly to me she is so wildly out there compared to all the others, and that includes awkward Ross.

Anyone who thinks that movie deserves an Oscar for Best Picture is someone who has horrific taste in movies.
Its a good movie, not the best movie, obviously.

Then again, the Oscars have not been a staple of neutrality for some time now so.. at the same time its good that the movie didn't get Best Picture.

(I'd rather pick Mission Impossible: Fallout for that.)

Winter John

Gold Member
Turn the tables around and imagine someone said "I would be happy to never play as black people in games ever again". Are you going to tell me they wont be painted as a Nazi?
And yes, he did also express excitement over such sentence.

That is exactly how that sentence would read just by changing a few words around.

No. We're not going to play the what if game.

If he'd only said he'd be happy to never play a white person again. You might have a point. However, it seems your purposely ignoring the rest of his post because that doesn't fit your narrative. He clearly says he doesn't like how white people are portrayed. So, from that I'd say it's logical to assume he's talking about the generic dudebro characters. That doesn't make him an asshole.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned

If he'd only said he'd be happy to never play a white person again. You might have a point. However, it seems your purposely ignoring the rest of his post because that doesn't fit your narrative. He clearly says he doesn't like how white people are portrayed. So, from that I'd say it's logical to assume he's talking about the generic dudebro characters. That doesn't make him an asshole.

You’re the one that just labelled white guys generic. Seems pretty racist to me, so I’m not sure you have a leg to stand on.

Winter John

Gold Member
On its own, i agree. But when you are going to use it as an argument that for so long we have had white character and we need diversity then you are pretty much ticking off the Ree narrative.

They are virtual characters in a virtual world. Unless a game aims for realism, why should it have to reflect real-world trends perse? If you want to do that, then it should fit in with the game and not just be an additional vehicle soldered in to gain attention.

Sadly i feel the latter is what is currently happening.

It's not possible to have played video games over the last 20 odd years and not noticed that the majority of video game characters are white dudes. So using that as part of an argument for diversity isn't so outlandish. I agree with you that forced diversity can only ever be negative. Doing something just to tick boxes doesn't turn out well. It insults the people it's aimed at and annoys it's core audience. The recent Overwatch Soldier 76 thing is probably the best example of that.

Winter John

Gold Member
You’re the one that just labelled white guys generic. Seems pretty racist to me, so I’m not sure you have a leg to stand on.

I was clearly talking about generic video game characters. I know your desperate to have your gotcha moment rather than actually discussing the subject, so I suggest you go and join Resetera where you'll find more like minded people.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
It's not possible to have played video games over the last 20 odd years and not noticed that the majority of video game characters are white dudes. So using that as part of an argument for diversity isn't so outlandish. I agree with you that forced diversity can only ever be negative. Doing something just to tick boxes doesn't turn out well. It insults the people it's aimed at and annoys it's core audience. The recent Overwatch Soldier 76 thing is probably the best example of that.
A huge swathe of videogame mascots over the past 40 years are race-nondescript or non-human, actually.

Your notion that "games are white" is ideological propaganda. Even the language you use -- "it's not possible [to have] not noticed" -- sounds like the catchphrase from a poster or a tract.

Winter John

Gold Member
A huge swathe of videogame mascots over the past 40 years are race-nondescript or non-human, actually.

Your notion that "games are white" is ideological propaganda. Even the language you use -- "it's not possible [to have] not noticed" -- sounds like the catchphrase from a poster or a tract.

"Your notion that "games are white" is ideological propaganda."

That's my not my "notion" at all. I'm talking about people's belief that there has been an over representation of generic white guys in video games not games as a whole. That should be obvious.

Redneckerz

Can't even state its a product of its time.

Lets discuss How I Met Your Mother then. Or, for a still on-air show, The Big Bang Theory. The caricatures on display there aren't problematic? Are the jokes ushered there not xphobic? Like, where do you need to draw the line? Its Friends, FFS. Unless you want every show to be like the Teletubbies with all Rainbows and a baby as a sun then really, what.

It's not possible to have played video games over the last 20 odd years and not noticed that the majority of video game characters are white dudes.
Its strange that you are contesting something that i didn't imply in the first place.

So using that as part of an argument for diversity isn't so outlandish. I agree with you that forced diversity can only ever be negative. Doing something just to tick boxes doesn't turn out well. It insults the people it's aimed at and annoys it's core audience. The recent Overwatch Soldier 76 thing is probably the best example of that.
You gotta know where it comes from. A place whose sole existence is derived on introducing military diversity into all facets of society.

I was clearly talking about generic video game characters. I know your desperate to have your gotcha moment rather than actually discussing the subject, so I suggest you go and join Resetera where you'll find more like minded people.
Lol i am not one to easily take his stance but Papa Papa is one of the last folks that would be a fit for Reset. And that's a compliment to Matt.

He is also not a Gotcha user. You are bowling in the wrong lane John.

JordanN

Banned

Is Kinoki the king of white people? Does his judgement render all other white people's opinions completely invalid?

He said nothing of dudebro. His entire post just wants white characters gone from video games so no one plays them.

And once again, the double standard still applies. If someone said they would be happy no one gets to play a black video game character ever again, it would still be seen as a sign of Nazism.

But trying to cheer on getting rid of white people in video games gets a pass.

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
...which is commonly referred to as "ideology", especially when that belief isn't based on facts or asserts something contrary to readily-available facts.

Are you saying that white characters haven't been the majority over the last 20-30 years? Please show those "readily available facts" or stats that support your theory

Winter John

Gold Member
Is Kinoki the king of white people? Does his judgement render all other white people's opinions completely invalid?

He said nothing of dudebro. His entire post just wants white characters gone from video games so no one plays them.

And once again, the double standard still applies. If someone said they would be happy no one gets to play a black video game character ever again, it would still be seen as a sign of Nazism.

But trying to cheer on getting rid of white people in video games gets a pass.

"Is Kinoki the king of white people? Does his judgement render all other white people's opinions completely invalid?"

What? I don't get what kind of point your trying to make here. Maybe you can explain it better.

"His entire post just wants white characters gone from video games so no one plays them."

No it doesn't. All he says is he doesn't like the way white people are portrayed. There is absolutely nothing in that post which suggests he wants nobody to play white characters. If he did please highlight that part.

I've told you I won't play the what if game. If you can't discuss this rationally and honestly then your not worth my time.

JordanN

Banned
"Is Kinoki the king of white people? Does his judgement render all other white people's opinions completely invalid?"

What? I don't get what kind of point your trying to make here. Maybe you can explain it better.

"His entire post just wants white characters gone from video games so no one plays them."

No it doesn't. All he says is he doesn't like the way white people are portrayed. There is absolutely nothing in that post which suggests he wants nobody to play white characters. If he did please highlight that part.

I've told you I won't play the what if game. If you can't discuss this rationally and honestly then your not worth my time.
Read what the red underline says. Don't try and edit it. Read the raw thing.

NngZcW0.png

Last edited:

Winter John

Gold Member
Lol i am not one to easily take his stance but Papa Papa is one of the last folks that would be a fit for Reset. And that's a compliment to Matt.

He is also not a Gotcha user. You are bowling in the wrong lane John.

He's brought up the generic comment twice now and then used that to imply racist intent when I was obviously talking about generic video game characters. It's an old Gaf/Ree tactic so I'd say he was definitely fishing for a gotcha and if that's how he discusses subjects then I'd say Resetera is the perfect place for him.

Winter John

Gold Member

NngZcW0.png

I've read it. There is nowhere in that post that says he wants white characters removed so that no can play them as you've claimed. I've asked you to provide evidence to back up your previous claims and rather than just admitting you are way out of line you've decided to continue being dishonest.

RedVIper

Banned
Are you saying that white characters haven't been the majority over the last 20-30 years? Please show those "readily available facts" or stats that support your theory

He has already stated that most video game characters aren't human at all. Do you dispute that?

Also, even if most video game characters were white, why would this be a problem, when most games are being made by European and American companies.
Nobody goes to Bollywood and cries that Nigerians are underrepresented.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I believe burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that white characters have been the majority.

But I'll put in a minimum of effort. Based on this list, you can see that the majority of franchises do not force players to play a white male (or even a human...) character.

The notion of "white majority" in games doesn't even make sense. Yeah, videogame development was predominantly in the West (USA + Europe), but since the early 80s the Japanese developers were just as influential if not more influential. I find it difficult to believe that Japan would've also been propagating white majority, too.

Redneckerz

He's brought up the generic comment twice now and then used that to imply racist intent when I was obviously talking about generic video game characters. It's an old Gaf/Ree tactic
Old GAF tactics i get.

But Matt is far from your average ERA user. Far.

fatty

More identity politics bullshit. Reset can't get enough of them.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/do...le-in-multiplayer-games.101372/#post-18201978

uZqlKVJ.png

I've played online all my life and never once witnessed someone attacking another person because they happen to have a female voice.

It comes across to me that all the identitarians on Resetera have to force their politics on other people that probably leads to a negative experience.

A lot of gamers act like idiots online and I've seen plenty of examples where women are harassed. I don't have a problem at all with Aeana stating her preference. I don't know her personally, but from my memories of her posts on GAF she seemed pretty level headed for a mod. I appreciated her posts on RPGs as I have a fondness for the genre.

NngZcW0.png

Having not read any of this poster's other posts, taking that quote at face value I am fine with what was stated. I'm guessing when we had many games with 'bald space marines' and we are probably familiar with this pic:

And I'm giving this person the benefit of the doubt that maybe he has played quite a few games that fit that model (dudebro or not) and he wants something different. Nothing wrong with that. People can have a preference for any type of character, regardless of skin color, gender or whatever. I don't care.

What I (and I think many others here) do take an issue with is trying to force a developer to make a game that panders to a specific audience to appease them. I know it is no longer the case but I'd love where creative people are allowed to fullfil their visions instead of trying to be sure to check a certain amount of boxes for diversity's sake.

Resetera has sooo many examples of people trying to force their politics on others, sometimes we try to pick out examples that aren't actually there.

Winter John

Gold Member
I believe burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that white characters have been the majority.

But I'll put in a minimum of effort. Based on this list, you can see that the majority of franchises do not force players to play a white male (or even a human...) character.

The notion of "white majority" in games doesn't even make sense. Yeah, videogame development was predominantly in the West (USA + Europe), but since the early 80s the Japanese developers were just as influential if not more influential. I find it difficult to believe that Japan would've also been propagating white majority, too.

"I believe burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that white characters have been the majority."

This is such a ridiculous level of denial it's hard to believe your actually serious, but here's a study you can look at. While it doesn't cover every year it's fairly comprehensive

http://dmitriwilliams.com/VirtualCensusFinal.pdf

Your "list" of best selling games actually highlights my point so thanks for that. It's a pity you didn't bother to look at the games on that list. I don't think you'd be making claims like this " you can see that the majority of franchises do not force players to play a white male (or even a human...) character."

Well, when we look at your list we can see the exact opposite of your claim. There's COD, BF, GTA, FIFA, Need For Speed, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, Star Wars, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, UnCharted, Medal Of Honor, Red Dead Redemption, The Witcher, James Bond, Tony Hawks, God Of War, Rainbow 6, Bioshock, Batman, Gears Of War, Spiderman, Devil May Cry. It goes on and on.

While we're here, here's an old meme that highlights the discussion

Morning-Hangover-White-Males.jpg

Now, you can keep on denying the reality of the situation all you like and I'm sure you will, even in the face of studies, lists and memes that clearly show all the evidence anyone could possibly want, but I'm not going to keep going round in circles over this. Me getting banned again for criticising another crappy AAA is much more worthy of discussion. That's the 2nd time I've been banned for doing that.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
"I believe burden of proof is on you to demonstrate that white characters have been the majority."

This is such a ridiculous level of denial it's hard to believe your actually serious, but here's a study you can look at. While it doesn't cover every year it's fairly comprehensive

Your "list" of best selling games actually highlights my point so thanks for that. It's a pity you didn't bother to look at the games on that list. I don't think you'd be making claims like this " you can see that the majority of franchises do not force players to play a white male (or even a human...) character."

Well, when we look at your list we can see the exact opposite of your claim. There's COD, BF, GTA, FIFA, Need For Speed, Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, Star Wars, Halo, Metal Gear Solid, UnCharted, Medal Of Honor, Red Dead Redemption, The Witcher, James Bond, Tony Hawks, God Of War, Rainbow 6, Bioshock, Batman, Gears Of War, Spiderman, Devil May Cry. It goes on and on.

Now, you can keep on denying the reality of the situation all you like and I'm sure you will, even in the face of studies, lists and memes that clearly show all the evidence anyone could possibly want, but I'm not going to keep going round in circles over this. Me getting banned again for criticising another crappy AAA is much more worthy of discussion. That's the 2nd time I've been banned for doing that.
Just curious, out of all the protagonists in the history of gaming, how many of them are red heads? And I don't mean anime red or pink haired crazy creations. But let's say a, Irish or Scottish person. Freckles too.

brap

Banned

>majority of people in the country are white guys
>majority of people that play games are white guys and white teens
>majority of video game protags are white guys
Wow what a travesty!!

Papa

Banned

That's a terrible list that does very little to support your point.

Games requiring historical accuracy: pre-diversity era COD (there have been plenty of non-whites in the diversity era), Battlefield, Assassin's Creed (also plenty of non-whites), Medal of Honor, Red Dead Redemption.
Pre-existing fictional characters that shouldn't be replaced for spurious ideological reasons: Batman, James Bond, Spiderman.
Japanese-made games: Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid, Devil May Cry.
First person games in which the protagonist isn't even visible: Bioshock (the villians were also white, which you ignored), Halo (really? Master Chief is in a damn space suit the whole game and his race is ambiguous. The most visible character in that series is Cortana, a racially ambiguous female, because she's a fucking robot).

You've also listed the Witcher, which is a Polish game. Most Polish people are white, duh. Then you've listed Need for Speed (lolwut), which is a racing game with plenty of non-whites, and FIFA, which is based on real players in real football teams. And Rainbow Six? Really? There are plenty of non-white, non-male characters in that game. Same goes for Star Wars.

Moreover, why should games made outside the US be forced to adhere to US concepts like superficial diversity? Are you trying to exert your cultural norms on them? Sounds like digital colonialism to me mate. Furthermore, why do you lump all white guys together like Niko, who is Eastern European, with Ezio, who is Italian? Do you see them as "generic" despite the fact they have very little in common other than their skin colour?

Your list is bad, your arguments are bad, and you should feel bad.

Kagey K

Banned

This is my problem with the quote and the pic.

Sure they all look white, but there is a bunch of diversity and multiculturalism in that pic.

You have Russian, Polish, Hispanic, Dutch, American (for whatever that means), Irish, Scottish, Welsh, Canadian, Swedish, Balkan, South African and Métis all piled up as white.

As if these “white” people have always been treated the same and have the same global experience as each other. Is that not being racist by itself?

You are lumping a group of people together based on skin tone (some of which are not similar at all) to create a narrative that because they are pale they are all in control. Which is simply not true.

If you want true diversity, you need to see past white and see each individual as their own story instead of seeing them as one and all the same.

RedVIper

Banned
Just want to point out that FIFA is probably as diverse as you can get, it literally mirrors real life. How exactly is FIFA "white".

Also counting Asian characters as white will never not be funny to me.

If you want to complain that some characters are boring, sure go ahead, but that has nothing to due with them being white. A silent protagonist isn't going to become more interesting just because he spent a few more hours sunbathing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom