• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Your "study" tested 133 games in total, pulled from the most popular 150 games during that time.

That doesn't demonstrate that the majority (or even a sizeable) number of videogames feature white male characters. Your tantrum in response to my plain and reasonable burden-of-proof request tells me perhaps you're accustomed to echo chambers that immediately agree with your unfounded conclusions. I apologize that I've forced you to engage your brain and prove your unfounded beliefs.

I'll simply repeat my previous question: please show proof that the majority of characters are white males (heck, I'd be satisfied if you just proved the majority of games have human avatars, let alone white male protagonists).
On the flipside and one that should be taken note off: The guy did provide proof. That's a lot more than the 999 others that don't and just make a wild ass claim and then run away from the responsibilty.

Also 133 test out of the most popular 150 games during that time seems like an sizeable example. You can't possibly request to do a sample size of 2000 games or such and then drop to similar conclusions.

As it stands, 133 out of most popular 150 (Aka games that most consumers will see or play) seems decent. And it is indeed noteworthy that a lot of protags have a similar frame of build to them and colour. So i am inclined to side with Winter John here unless i am missing a crucial detail, but the sample size seems good enough???

I just wanted to put that out there. Atleast the guy attempts to provide proof, so i don't feel the bracket usage or tone is just.

On the flipside and one that should be taken note off: The guy did provide proof. That's a lot more than the 999 others that don't and just make a wild ass claim and then run away from the responsibilty.

Also 133 test out of the most popular 150 games during that time seems like an sizeable example. You can't possibly request to do a sample size of 2000 games or such and then drop to similar conclusions.

As it stands, 133 out of most popular 150 (Aka games that most consumers will see or play) seems decent. And it is indeed noteworthy that a lot of protags have a similar frame of build to them and colour. So i am inclined to side with Winter John here unless i am missing a crucial detail, but the sample size seems good enough???

I just wanted to put that out there. Atleast the guy attempts to provide proof, so i don't feel the bracket usage or tone is just.
Sample size from one 12-month period is supposed to prove that the gaming as a whole is populated by white males? Let me at least confirm that is what is being proposed here.

You can't use an arbitrary metric from one year and then extrapolate it to cover gaming's full nearly-50-year history.

Is this a white male?
23139.jpg

How about this?
Tetris_Gameplay4-4.jpg

How about this?
NFSPS1.jpg

How about this?
38966-Ristar_-_The_Shooting_Star_(Japan)-1459626572.png

How about this?
8f195378a975dd9bad96524602bff296d0bde5665d00fb3120e8c19f0e0d1016_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

How about this?
38927-Puyo_Puyo_(Japan)-1459057255.png

How about this?
layer-section-galactic-attack-sega-saturn40.png

I picked those screenshots deliberately. There are entire genres -- platformers, puzzle games, strategy games, and racing games -- that hardly feature a human, let alone a white male.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
A "woke" game developer weights in on the THQ-controversy.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...fuses-to-comment.102061/page-65#post-18333126
Mi2bUxw.png

You know, it's funny to watch the double standards of "how dare THQ hold an AMA on such an extremist site" and yet how is Resetera not also a forum of extremists assholes?

Why does EA Games and Amazon have PR relations with a known hate site?

ae80X7k.png

Will both companies respond to this?

aHtWJgu.jpg

9Jlx1bb.jpg

gt1Vwek.jpg

WOJCBUG.png

3cvQGpJ.png

EA is because of Shinobi, he was banned here well before RE was a thing for shilling hard after the ME:A meltdowns and started his own "blog" as if his opinions were that of some gaming pariah.

Redneckerz

Sample size from one 12-month period is supposed to prove that the gaming as a whole is populated by white males?
I don't think he is trying to prove gaming as a whole is populated by white males, henceforth he chose the most popular games, of 2009.

And in that sense, yeah, there is a case to be had, assuming this has continued. Its not without reason the term Dudebro was coined, let alone that GAF was making a game that had it in its title.

It should also be noted that the PDF makes notion of prior studies.

Lastly, my point is, atleast the guy presented a study. That's more than most others. I do think it should be nuanced however, to something like that most games with a protagonist that are identifiable by gender, are mostly white guys. Or something like that.

Last edited:
games with a protagonist that are identifiable by gender, are mostly white guys. Or something like that.
So, a very small fraction of a percentage of total games, you meant to say?

I just don't see it as a reasonable concern. It's manufactured outrage over "representation" in yet another area of entertainment.

JORMBO

Darkness no more

https://www.resetera.com/threads/th...fuses-to-comment.102061/page-65#post-18333126
Mi2bUxw.png

You know, it's funny to watch the double standards of "how dare THQ hold an AMA on such an extremist site" and yet how is Resetera not also a forum of extremists assholes?

ae80X7k.png

aHtWJgu.jpg

9Jlx1bb.jpg

gt1Vwek.jpg

WOJCBUG.png

3cvQGpJ.png

I don’t understand the woke DICE dev saying THQ can’t recover. Most regular gamers don’t follow this type of thing. And if THQ makes a really good game down the road all the people bitching now will buy it anyways (if they are actually interested in gaming).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don’t understand the woke DICE dev saying THQ can’t recover. Most regular gamers don’t follow this type of thing. And if THQ makes a really good game down the road all the people bitching now will buy it anyways (if they are actually interested in gaming).

Lol, THQ will be fine. Both them and Devolver operate like old school artistic development freedom houses. Literally modern day gaming nostalgia with how they market their creative brands.

DICE needs to worry about getting those projection and revenue volumes up before Papa EA takes them out back. Just another boring ass company following in line with semi-handcuffed creative freedoms.

I used to love DICE of old, now they are just cookie cutter like every other kowtowing house afraid to step outside the social gulag.

Last edited:

Helios

He/She's probably still salty over the BFV failure.
mQCiOAp.png

Redneckerz

So, a very small fraction of a percentage of total games, you meant to say?
I don't know if it is. I do know that of the popular games, white guys are rather common.

And i guess that's what Winter John tried to convey, i suppose.

I just don't see it as a reasonable concern. It's manufactured outrage over "representation" in yet another area of entertainment.
I don't think it is outrage when you say out of 150 popular titles (So not everything), and 133 tested, white folks are rather common. The popular part is essential here.

It also does not mean that should change, imo. Its similar to saying that pictures of ''the ideal family'' are usually portrayed as two white people with a son and daughter. Its just what it is, really and it does not absolutely portray that other ideal families compromised of different combinations are any less.

If anything, the Dudebro is just a PR concept, nothing more.

Redneckerz

He/She's probably still salty over the BFV failure.
mQCiOAp.png
DP but i am sure the lowered sales weren't because the game was bad, it was exactly because of this stuff.

What Elenarie and other developers don't get is that there is nothing wrong with being inclusive or diverse. What is wrong, is presenting this in unnatural ways (The dreaded BFV trailer) or even taking a stab at humor about it (The made up jokes on diversity on a convention regarding BFV).

Putting attention to something that should be accepted and appreciated without all the fuss is the problem. Somehow, people on DICE think you need to exaggerate and make these minorities special.

You don't. When they are accepted in society, it means that they are like everyone else. THAT is what developers should use their influence for. Make them people, not special.

prag16

Banned
They just banned a member for responding via Twitter to THQ "Its not that bad" lol

Offsite action banned lol

It's a thing. They alluded to my off-site activity here as part of the explanation behind my permaban last year, to demonstrate that I was "not a good fit" over there.

Last edited:

Calcium

Banned
Now that they've had time to process this have they moved on to the trying to get someone fired part of their playbook yet?

mekes

They were doing that 5 pages in yesterday, including the classic doxxing. Although that member got a one week ban for his efforts.

JordanN

Banned
Triggered by Pokemon.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/player-gender-in-pokemon-sword-shield.102339/

ICz3Iy9.png

Holy shit, Resetera just doesn't give up. Why on earth do Game Publishers care about these guys, the proof is in the pudding. THEY'LL NEVER BE SATISFIED.

Edit: Also lol at this.
WN0Tnkc.png

Thank god I got to play Pokemon in a world where acknowledging 2 genders exist was not a crime.
I fear in the coming future, people will be sent to jail for admitting they're a straight male and not a two-spirited hyper gendered attack helicopter.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Triggered by Pokemon.

ICz3Iy9.png

Holy shit, Resetera just doesn't give up. Why on earth do Game Publishers care about these guys, the proof is in the pudding. THEY'LL NEVER BE SATISFIED.

WN0Tnkc.png

Thank god I got to play Pokemon in a world where acknowledging 2 genders exist was not a crime.
I fear in the coming future, people will be sent to jail for admitting they're a straight male and not a two-spirited hyper gendered attack helicopter.
Can we just acknowledge ResetEra as the new konami meme?

Triggered by Pokemon.

ICz3Iy9.png

WN0Tnkc.png

I don’t get it...

What’s the other option?

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Follow that Twitter post...scroll down to the last comment its hilarious.

The middle pic is a Ree member, the kind who hates 'Friends' I would say lol

On another note..

Watch 'Take5GiantSteps'
An obvious 'Ultra-Woke Troll' or on some next level shit.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if there are any 'attack helicopters' around that could answer a few questions i have - any lurkers from RE still with accounts here that could help?

At what point in your life did you realise it?
What were you before?
Did you come into existence as a fully operational one? Or did you go through a design/testing/manufacturing process?
When you're not feeling 100%, where so you go for a 'tune-up'?

Thanks in advance!

Redneckerz

When i saw the trailer, i actually thought for a second that ERA would be upset about it since there is only a white boy and white lass. Never had that random thought before.

And look at that, they actually get upset on it. Its like waking up in that Chris Pratt movie Passengers, except instead of nobody around you get 30 of these folks with their anime avatars.

Mi2bUxw.png

ae80X7k.png

aHtWJgu.jpg

9Jlx1bb.jpg

gt1Vwek.jpg

WOJCBUG.png

3cvQGpJ.png
That Slaven comment...my god...if i didnt know the senior mod team consisted of angry trans people my next guess would be Mel Gibson has a Ree account.
That is a moderator who is meant to be an example of a good community member and help steer the ship....nope we are gonna call people the N word

Papa

Banned
That Slaven comment...my god...if i didnt know the senior mod team consisted of angry trans people my next guess would be Mel Gibson has a Ree account.
That is a moderator who is meant to be an example of a good community member and help steer the ship....nope we are gonna call people the N word

I personally found the baby killing comment above it worse.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Barnabot

These people were just alienated by mass hysteria. So there are chances that we will see people there throwing under the bus friends and even loved ones just because of seeking validation. And the saddest part is I'm not even talking bullshit.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
The irony is that he/she probably thinks that the white hate he/she promotes will make an exception of him/her... I'm sure the minorities that are riled up to hate white people will differentiate between the good guys and the bad guys. /s

I know some good black countries he can migrate to.

Last edited:

ROMhack

When i saw the trailer, i actually thought for a second that ERA would be upset about it since there is only a white boy and white lass. Never had that random thought before.

And look at that, they actually get upset on it. Its like waking up in that Chris Pratt movie Passengers, except instead of nobody around you get 30 of these folks with their anime avatars.

Beyond all else, it kinda shows how tremendously simple their arguments actually are. Not much nuance.

Last edited:

Dunki

Also, I'm not a fan of the term war hero. It makes it seem like sometimes good things come out of wars.

WTF Of course there are times you have to fight and times when something good comes from it. AKA biggest one yet. WW2. Imagine no one had fought Hitler back then. Imagine no one would have fought ISIS in th middle east? These people are fucking delusional and no demanding that an airport gets renamed because John Wayhne said something in 1791 during a playboy Interview.

1971...... How far back will the go whie totally ignorig their own History. AKA Patrick "children need to be raped" Klepeck as one example.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

https://www.neogaf.com/members/

Look how many posts they had here, if you want to think about their investment and mental makeup.

Same shit, new playground. Now with virtual authority in it.

cryptoadam

Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom