• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-site Community Discussion (Reset, etc.) -- READ OP. Stay civil. Don't make it personal. Keep it in here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

prag16

Banned
You’re not entirely wrong, but my suggestion would be to stick around and “be the change you want to see”. It’s not necessarily easy, but you have the opportunity to do it here. At Ree, you either fall in lockstep with their groupthink or you get unpersoned.

Don’t assume that the shit that people like Nobody_Important Nobody_Important get is because they’re leftists; rather, it’s because they’re dishonest and don’t respect others’ intelligence as they try to pull the wool over their eyes. The fact he isn’t banned (and I don’t think many of us would actually want that) shows it’s not a hivemind here. Guys like @hariseldon and Arkage Arkage show that it’s possible to have a rational debate from a leftist position, but your average brainwashed Ree type can’t because their programming doesn’t allow them to.

He's not ENTIRELY wrong, I guess. Assuming he's not just concern trolling.

I do not even understand it and I do not condone the usage of the word "nigger", especially not when it is used as a derogative. If I were administrator for the forum I would give the moderator a warning that repeating such a slur would lead to an ejection off the team.

A handful of names made me laugh when I saw their initial admin/mod list. But his stuck out as one that almost made me fall out of my chair. Disastrously bad choice, even more so than any of the others.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/hi...-with-monica-was-not-an-abuse-of-power.74802/

Hypocritical lying scum. Another reason to be glad Trump is in the White House and not Hillary.

She's been on a roll as of late. But yeah this one takes the cake. Republicans couldn't have asked for better sound bytes ahead of midterms.

none of you (who supposedly have real beef with era for whatever reason) step over there and confront them directly about whatever thing you disagree with. I know what's coming next, "if we would, we would be automatically banned there because there's no freedom of speech and [insert blanket statement about era here]"

This is an outrageously ignorant post on the whole, but to grab this part of it... particularly ridiculous. A great many of us WERE over there making our case only to get banned over stupid shit. And my ban wasn't even for my posts. It was for REPORTING TOO MANY POSTS after previously being warned for reporting too many posts They deemed some of my reports 'aggressive' towards moderation.

So yeah, confronting them directly as you suggest, guess what, big surprise... it does nothing. They circle the wagons, and eject the undesirables. They even banned pretty hard left leaners like Arkage and Yoshi over stupid shit.

Resetera is a steaming pile of dog shit, and we have this topic because the utter stupidity routinely displayed by their mods and many of their users provides endless entertainment. If you're here as an ambassador, hear this message to your 'community': You are an embarrassment and a laughing stock, nobody rational or reasonable takes you seriously, and the only productive aspect of the existence your site is to serve as a holding area for the dangerously unhinged, and/or as an exemplar of how not to behave in order to exist as part of a civilized society.

(Note: That obviously doesn't apply to EVERYBODY on the site; just the social/politcal stances shared and enforced by moderation and their 'little helpers' as Redneckerz likes to say. I'm sure the majority of the casual Gaming side posters and those that keep mostly to their communities aren't bad people.)

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
I've already said what I wanted to say here months ago, not sure why you want to hear more of the same. I see barely a thing has changed, which only kinda verifies my points in retrospect. To reiterate: a thread dedicated to shitting on another forum 'behind their backs' and deriding specific users and posts is petty, juvenile, antagonistic (for no real reason) and ultimately cowardly as none of you (who supposedly have real beef with era for whatever reason) step over there and confront them directly about whatever thing you disagree with. I know what's coming next, "if we would, we would be automatically banned there because there's no freedom of speech and [insert blanket statement about era here]", but that largely ignores that that site is not a singular voice and there's almost always dissent in the heated topics. If you had any meritable argument to discuss over there you wouldn't be fearing of a ban, but if all you had to say amounted to "lol reetards you're just unhinged on a leftist agenda and racist against white people" then yeah you would know it would end with a swift ban. Judging from this thread alone it's rather obvious which one of the two categories most posters belong to. That drive-by post about salty snowflakes is really just telling what non-gaffers are thinking, because really how does this thread NOT come off as salty. I know you're trying to play it off as some kind of 'light-hearted bantering' about them, but this thread gets a disproportionate amount of posts and attention than pretty much any other thread on GAF, so it's likely not as light-hearted as you want to make it sound.

Also what's with the mass @s to everyone who liked that post? If you want to tout that this forum is a place where every opinion is respectable and everyone's on equal footing, maybe don't ask for receipts for anyone who dares to follow a different opinion than the mass here. Unless of course you want, for example, to @ for receipts to every racist, ignorant or otherwise insensitive post that frequently gets hordes of likes here, but of course I don't see you doing that. You don't want to make this forum look like it's -gasp- biased towards something.

Man what a shit post. You couldn’t even admit to voting republican over there without being chased out with virtual pitchforks.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Don’t assume that the shit that people like @Nobody_Important get is because they’re leftists; rather, it’s because they’re dishonest and don’t respect others’ intelligence as they try to pull the wool over their eyes.
I can see no indication for the claim that Nobody_Important Nobody_Important is dishonest. He invests a lot of time to explain his posts and it is precisely unsubstantiated personal insults like this that are the reason I complained about bullying behaviour that reinforces a hivemind.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
This is just a start. The longest running ones that started as Neogaf threads in forums.

http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=45505.0

And..

https://kiwifarms.net/threads/neogaf-resetera.9636/

And..

https://voat.co/v/NeoFAG

Even Loli-loving odd-ball Ex-Gaf prominent Era member Crossing Eden has an entire thread dedicated to him on some forums..will not link user specific threads do to Dox info.

Let's not also forget Era has had it's on Mr. Metokur video even.

And since people tend to not 'forum' much anymore the rise of the YouTube 'lolz' video is more prevalent

Okay now THAT is fucking hilarious. Thank you. I needed those laughs today.

Corrik

In order to get ahead in Hollywood, many women felt the pressure to sleep with their bosses, execs. This is no different, well, actually way worse, she’s an intern.

And then there’s Monicas own words:

“As what transpired between Bill Clinton and myself was not sexual assault, although we now recognise that it constituted a gross abuse of power.”
I disagree. Unless he explicitly said her job was at stake regarding her choice, then that is in her head and should not be a viable accusation.

Like women who say "yeah, I said I would sleep with him because I wasn't sure what he would do if I didn't". That's bs reasoning. A guy can't read her mind to know what she is thinking, and it is on her to convey what she is thinking. Saying yeah I did it, but I didn't want to is malarkey. Literally no one forced you to do it, you chose to.

Michele

you.
I know this isn't worth a laugh and that this is low quality, but apparentely Resetera has found a new target, and this time, it's what I fear the most; they want to start attacking Vergeben, which is one of the leakers I follow for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Before you ask me, I know that leakers are not to be trusted much, but Verge has been right on much stuff, even though not all were leaked, and he also likes to admit that he's not perfect.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...ed-as-marvel-vs-capcom-4.74464/#post-13730032
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ru...marvel-vs-capcom-4.74464/page-4#post-13731576

These are the posts that could, but not 100%, could lead Resetera to target Vergeben and it seems like a possibility to me. In the first, Imran replies to the OP. "Vergeben has been adamant about the MVCI/MvC 4 leaks, so to see him take a complete 180 is surprising for me!"

"This is because Vergeben is like six different peoples who have 18 sources", Imran replied.

In a later post, Lady Bow, that annoying insider who got her status shattered after Isabelle's reveal when she predicted Skull Kid, she asks him. "How could you possibly know this?"

"I did some research into it when information that was previously only available in small circles got posted. Then I took note of when some other information that came to me from a source stopped coming from him as well. And then there were some things the account posted that were straight up wrong and I tracked down where they came from and who those people gave that information to."

Seriously, they are now tracking down him, this is annoying and toxic, but this also puts Vergeben in a bad state. However, Vergeben denied this claim, posting this on GameFAQs. https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77092766/910487563

Vergeben said:
What a bizarre thing to believe that I am 6 different people.
I suspect that is unfounded paranoia based on knowing some people who know the things that I know. I might know any one of those people he thinks that I am, but I am not a leaky hivemind or something. rofl

I'm sorry for the long post again, but I think Vergeben could be the next target for Resetera to focus on, if you will recall a employee that got targeted and got his information leaked by Resetera.

Papa

Banned
I can see no indication for the claim that Nobody_Important Nobody_Important is dishonest. He invests a lot of time to explain his posts and it is precisely unsubstantiated personal insults like this that are the reason I complained about bullying behaviour that reinforces a hivemind.

Bullshit. I’ll remember to tag you next time he’s being dishonest.

I have to agree with Yoshi. I see a lot of bullying of Nobody_Important around here and I think he defends his points well, whether or not you agree with them. I don't agree with him all the time but I respect his right to speak his mind without shitting all over everything he saids.

I would rather this forum not turn itself into another hivemind.

Papa

Banned
I have to agree with Yoshi. I see a lot of bullying of Nobody_Important around here and I think he defends his points well, whether or not you agree with them. I don't agree with him all the time but I respect his right to speak his mind without shitting all over everything he saids.

I would rather this forum not turn itself into another hivemind.

Again, bullshit. You have been conditioned to see any kind of shame, which is an important social mechanism for correcting undesirable behaviours (such as not telling the truth), as bullying. If he would stop lying and constantly shifting goalposts, he wouldn’t be shamed. Like I said, we have leftist posters here who are more than capable of rational debate without such tactics.

Again, bullshit. You have been conditioned to see any kind of shame, which is an important social mechanism for correcting undesirable behaviours (such as not telling the truth), as bullying. If he would stop lying and constantly shifting goalposts, he wouldn’t be shamed. Like I said, we have leftist posters here who are more than capable of rational debate without such tactics.
If shame is your only mechanism to counter Nobody Important's arguments, however disingenuous you believe them to be, then it might be time to reexamine your own position. Shame is a tool that the far left seems to rely on too heavily these days to coax those who disagree with them into stepping in line with their beliefs or getting the fuck out. I would rather not fall in line with that sort of thinking.

Yoshi

Shaming people is not exactly an important civil form of correcting undesirable behaviours. It is not constructive. But on top of that, the claim that Nobody_Important Nobody_Important is lying is lacking any substance. You wield heavy wordings but if you attack a user like this you should definitely provide evidence for undesirable behaviour. I can certainly not claim to have read all or even the majority of his postings, but I have read a significant number of his postings and to me they seem genuine and surprisingly patient considering the reactions he usually gets.

You’re not entirely wrong, but my suggestion would be to stick around and “be the change you want to see”. It’s not necessarily easy, but you have the opportunity to do it here. At Ree, you either fall in lockstep with their groupthink or you get unpersoned.

Don’t assume that the shit that people like Nobody_Important Nobody_Important get is because they’re leftists; rather, it’s because they’re dishonest and don’t respect others’ intelligence as they try to pull the wool over their eyes. The fact he isn’t banned (and I don’t think many of us would actually want that) shows it’s not a hivemind here. Guys like @hariseldon and Arkage Arkage show that it’s possible to have a rational debate from a leftist position, but your average brainwashed Ree type can’t because their programming doesn’t allow them to.
I need you guys to join so we can act as a counterbalance! Lol. It’s true there are many vehement antiSJW users that continually create/post in political threads. As such, it can become overwhelming when me or another liberal user gets dogpiled with multiple retorts. But if there’s more left leaning types it will be a more even handed back and forth. Though it does require a good amount of thread creation/participation to affect the overall conversation tone. 8 of you all being left leaning would significantly alter the dynamic considering there’s really not that many users who regularly post in politics anyway.

Also a significant difference is Ree doubled down on banning me over stupid shit, whereas here I got my ban removed after appealing. That itself is hugely significant to me.

I don't have time to commit to being the kind of content creator this place needs, but as I said I'll stick around for a while and see how it goes. If things pick up I'll see if i can get my mates interested again.

This place needs to attract more left leaners to promote more balanced discussion, but the current climate will probably put them off. Unless y'all are happy echoing most of each other's opinions and arguing with the occasional sign-up it needs to be considered.

Maybe threads like this should be done away with? You can always use the other forums linked ITT to trash on Era. I read many of you repeating that this place is better because the ethos is more welcoming to balanced discussion, this kind of thing feels counter productive to that and Is part of what put my mates off coming here as much as the kind of Era content you've linked to put them off there.

It's already going to be difficult attracting these people because all the political discussion will naturally be opposing their views without these threads. It was probably a good idea for community catharsis at first, I get that.

It's really up to the core community you've gathered here, you're the ones in control right now.

Last edited:

bigedole

Whole lot of pearl clutching going on lately for something that is extremely easily (and probably is already by a majority of the site) ignored by those who don't care for its content.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
This place needs to attract more left leaners to promote more balanced discussion, but the current climate will probably put them off. Unless y'all are happy echoing most of each other's opinions and arguing with the occasional sign-up it needs to be considered.

Maybe threads like this should be done away with?

Damn, so we are already in the bargaining stage?

Damn, so we are already in the bargaining stage?

Ha! Just sharing my experience regarding potential members being put off by this as much as certain content on Era.

I currently have no investment at all here and am posting mostly out of curiosity, it you want to keep these things that's completely up to you.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I don't have time to commit to being the kind of content creator this place needs, but as I said I'll stick around for a while and see how it goes. If things pick up I'll see if i can get my mates interested again.

Maybe threads like this should be done away with? You can always use the other forums linked ITT to trash on Era. I read many of you repeating that this place is better because the ethos is more welcoming to balanced discussion, this kind of thing feels counter productive to that and Is part of what put my mates off coming here as much as the kind of Era content you've linked to put them off there.

It's already going to be difficult attracting these people because all the political discussion will naturally be opposing their views without these threads. It was probably a good idea for community catharsis at first, I get that.

It's really up to the core community you've gathered here, you're the ones in control right now.

I feel like a broken record, but here I go again: Most people here *are left leaning*. This has been shown time and again, yet people keep making the disingenuous assertion that it is mostly right-leaning.

We also have two threads about Era. Any and all Era mentions are told to head here to continue conversing. Those are two threads among hundreds. You are being silly.

prag16

Banned
Whole lot of pearl clutching going on lately for something that is extremely easily (and probably is already by a majority of the site) ignored by those who don't care for its content.
I really hate to accuse people of concern trolling, and it's absolutely entirely possible this guy is not doing that. But we can see how it comes across that way. A lot of the left leaners already mostly avoid this topic, and do fine in other topics. It's entirely possible you know.

Again, just sharing my experience of the hostile tone putting off a smal group of potential members from joining who were also put off by Era.

This is a smaller site atm in terms of active political discussions, so while there may only be two of these threads they're very visible to people browsing as they're among the most active of a relatively a small amount of active topics.

I have no real interest with arguing about this, and you're free to ignore my input if you want to.

Last edited:
Again, just sharing my experience of the hostile tone putting off a smal group of potential members from joining who were also put off by Era.

This is a smaller site atm in terms of active political discussions, so while there may only be two of these threads they're very visible to people browsing as they're among the most active of a relatively a small amount of active topics.

I have no real interest with arguing about this, and you're free to ignore my input if you want to.
I agree that we need to focus on other things. If this is your observation, I don't see why the community should shun it or try to "disprove" you. Resetera is a trainwreck, no question about it. As amusing as it is to poke fun at it, I think we could channel our efforts towards more positive discussions in the community.

That said, I don't begrudge anyone who still feels the need to vent about internet craziness.

Thanks for being willing to stick around and see how things shake out.

I agree that we need to focus on other things. If this is your observation, I don't see why the community should shun it or try to "disprove" you. Resetera is a trainwreck, no question about it. As amusing as it is to poke fun at it, I think we could channel our efforts towards more positive discussions in the community.

That said, I don't begrudge anyone who still feels the need to vent about internet craziness.

Thanks for being willing to stick around and see how things shake out.

I personally have nothing against these threads existing. If the core community want to keep them they should. As you say, these are just observations.

JordanN

Banned
Here we go again.

Now Star Citizen is a racist game because it features *gasp* WHITE PEOPLE! The horror!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-...k-of-diversity-depicted-in-squadron-42.74879/

I think I've unhatched Resetera's plan. They want to live in a world where everything looks like the 90s Burger King kids mascots.

1.jpg

Like honestly, the diversity concerns are out of control. If you're playing video games for the skin color of the characters and not the actual game, you got a problem.

Edit: We got a runner up for the idiot of the year awards 2018.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-...ted-in-squadron-42.74879/page-2#post-13810913

Zo6M2HQ.jpg

And now here comes the massacre. Anyone who doesn't mind white people in their games are being lead to the slaughterhouse.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/i-...ted-in-squadron-42.74879/page-5#post-13814820

1ff.jpg

Resetera wants diversity AT ALL COSTS. We can no longer have games with white people in them. That is too much and offensive for some reason.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
For anyone saying Conservative/Trump talk is ok Era..well, it is..but mind you it will be 'side-eye'd' and you will be blamed for having an agenda. Basically you run the risk of being a target if you post anything that doesnt fall in line with the group think.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/cn...s-biden-leads-crowded-democratic-field.74906/

Mcfrank
Today at 10:07 AM
You sure on a mission this morning.

Darryl M R
Today at 10:07 AM
I'm starting to think this OP has an agenda.

I mean, look at this! It's some communist shit to the fullest!

WoahW said:

Hey don’t go ignoring me. Who are you wanting as President? Do you like who it currrently is or who you rather have someone else, and if so, who?
OP has to respond to protect himself!
I’m a huge democrat lol, check my thread history if you’re confused by today

Last edited by a moderator:
The consensus was Era is an SJW hive-mind.
The concensus was GAF is an anti-SJW hate-train.

They see no long-term value in either place, and despite GAF's more tolerant ideals regarding discussion, they view the place as too openly hostile in terms of the general tone from users. We get many of the critiques aimed at Era, but there is a clear tone throughout this site that very much feels like it's anti-SJW at its core, like it's fired up directly to oppose them and Era as its defining trait rather than the defining trait being a better, more open alternative.

And that put my friends off as much as the issues at the other place. After linking them all to both places and giving them a few days to browse each, the consensus was neither.

This is purely anecdotal, of course, but I just thought it might be worth sharing. I get this thread and the other Era focused on are largely for catharsis, but there's also a Vs mentality and hostility that seems to be putting some people off joining as much as the antics on Era do.

Thanks for sharing this. Even the most optimistic member would probably agree that GAF is right now on a steep rebuild from what was a very harsh blow. Prior to the event happening it's fair to say that moderation was a bit too strict and would often mistake political alignment with a very superficial morality flaw. That problem probably got worse with ERA, but since it was pretty terrible here as well it's a natural conclusion to say that ERA inherited most of the previous GAF members but also the ridiculous moderation. It's possible that the remaining members on GAF are enjoying their (still somewhat) newfound freedom to lash out against the previous terrible culture, which inevitably leads to some exaggerations. It's like someone that can't say motherfucker near their parents and then immediately sound like a ganster rap album when away from them.

But there is a very key difference between current GAF and ERA and that's obviously the moderation. You're only getting banned here for using blatantly offensive language or for offending other members. You never know what will get you banned on ERA and at that point, what kind of return can you possibly expect in any discussion? You're almost like an actor delivering a script because the pettiest shit will get you thrown out. Hostility is kind of expected in the internet and although I'd consider myself overall a right-wing guy, I don't adhere to that and in a lot of ways there's some SJW bastard in me. And that's because like everyone, I'm not defined by one single aspect, I don't have a book on what's right and what's wrong so I improvise a lot and that leads to people disagreeing occasionally in a pretty aggressive tone. Which is normal and fine, but sadly it isn't like that when you get removed from the community for bullshit reasons. You don't even have the hostility, you have a constant lethargy and the warm feeling of being in the good team. That sucks.

Last edited:

Yoshi

I mean, look at this! It's some communist shit to the fullest!
Communist is not a blanket derogative. You are misusing it. Though these people may be communists, there is no way of knowing this and considering most Erians are US Americans (and given the popularity of communist ideas in the US) I think it is unlikely.

Has anyone investigated a banned user with the note "history of infractions" or similar? Does anyone here have an account that was banned with this note that we could take a look through?

As far as I'm aware you can't search a user's histroy once they've been banned. Some of those ban reasons do look ridiculous, but perhaps they were the straw that broke? Or has this been disproven enough already? - (and by disproven I mean has anyone researched it somehow, not just people telling us).

Yoshi

I was banned with that. You can just click my username and then the post count. Also, when I was banned, someone posted excerpts from a number of my posts (though I would ask you to read the whole postings, because some of them are really badly taken out of context).

https://www.resetera.com/threads/yoshis-bible-adventures.29827/ there you can find my posting history, by clicking on my name and then the number of posts afterwards.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
What did Slayven say?
Literally 11 posts after yours, and right here.

Your members and mods started this war. They sacrificed an innocent man instead of checking out FACTS in order to maintain a narrative, a narrative that continues to be under seige by the likes of Argento, Ford, and Clinton. Your people ran COMPLICIT campaigns, shaming campaigns, mods labeling people for future blackmail, steering narrative, and continue to attack people online and outside.
Are you sure you are addressing the right poster? Seems to me this was reserved for someone else as Kitsune was not talking about that.

Resetera is a steaming pile of dog shit, and we have this topic because the utter stupidity routinely displayed by their mods and many of their users provides endless entertainment. If you're here as an ambassador, hear this message to your 'community': You are an embarrassment and a laughing stock, nobody rational or reasonable takes you seriously, and the only productive aspect of the existence your site is to serve as a holding area for the dangerously unhinged, and/or as an exemplar of how not to behave in order to exist as part of a civilized society.
I mean... this is exactly the kind of thing Kitsune is waging against - Its not discussing the topic, but attacking the person who has an alternative train of thought. Kitsune, from what i remember also does not frequent ERA so this ''Your site'' spiel is not applicable to him atleast.

There is, however, something to be said for the contribution to GAF by that user: Beyond the post of yesterday, the last one was from July and there is only a like for a typical drive-by oneliner post. To that effect for myself, i have written about LGBT, suicide prevention, and i also make threads. I contribute to GAF in more ways than one and certainly not only as a salty snowflake. So T themagicalkitsune , Do you have plans to be more active on GAF beyond this thread? :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

(Note: That obviously doesn't apply to EVERYBODY on the site; just the social/politcal stances shared and enforced by moderation and their 'little helpers' as Redneckerz likes to say. I'm sure the majority of the casual Gaming side posters and those that keep mostly to their communities aren't bad people.)
I feel this kind of position should be more prominent in this thread. As interesting as it can be to provide meta-commentary, the complaints and frustations given on these remain mostly similar. At some point i feel we need to step outside the shadow and move on from that aswell.

Lets push to change the tone of this thread after page 100 is achieved. Lets then attempt to provide some actual discussion about other places, something more positive. Who's with me?:)

I really wish a staff member gives you the user title ''NeoGAF Minority Spokesperson''.

Nah, don'tcha know? Those people are all simply sad, angry trolls who were all banned from ResetEra and promote sexual attacks, misogyny, and racism! /s
You forget that Evilore is a sexual predator/apologist/abuser/enabler/syncophant/. That is one of, if not the most noted reason as to why GAF is hated.*

*Not withstanding that their views don't move beyond October 2017 and as such have no idea what has happend since then.

Por favor, please no ad populums.. i am not even an active contributor to Politics because i geniunely don't care talking about what is predominantly US talk. Its not my country, its not my politik, so i have no interest in that.

This thread should evolve to a more postive platform imo.

Eggggg-actly. I don't follow Politics but with those appeals to popularity i still get grouped in with everybody else. I am not part of it.

Has anyone investigated a banned user with the note "history of infractions" or similar? Does anyone here have an account that was banned with this note that we could take a look through?

As far as I'm aware you can't search a user's histroy once they've been banned. Some of those ban reasons do look ridiculous, but perhaps they were the straw that broke? Or has this been disproven enough already? - (and by disproven I mean has anyone researched it somehow, not just people telling us).
You can research back through the banbot, which is been running now long enough to find some history.
To answer your question - I did, once, for a former mod who got a namechange afterwards. Wanted to see how much time penalty there was inbetween bans.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
I mean... this is exactly the kind of thing Kitsune is waging against - Its not discussing the topic, but attacking the person who has an alternative train of thought.
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but that quoted piece is a message "to resetera". Not to this user in particular. And after my permaban for "abusing the reports system" I sent something in that vein to them via email (though worded far more tactfully and constructively) and big surprise, I got back "thanks for reaching out, but..." boiler plate, and then no further follow up.

But regardless, I reacted harshly largely because of the bullshit narrative and faulty assumptions brought by that user (basically peddling similar dishonest nonsense to what pays Nobody_Important's bills around here). Casting era as good guys that just want to live on the internet in peace if only those darn neogaf members would stop baselessly attacking them. And then claiming that people here just hide here in this topic and are afraid to go over there and 'confront' them. All demonstrably false.

I feel like a broken record, but here I go again: Most people here *are left leaning*. This has been shown time and again, yet people keep making the disingenuous assertion that it is mostly right-leaning.

We also have two threads about Era. Any and all Era mentions are told to head here to continue conversing. Those are two threads among hundreds. You are being silly.

People aren't used to seeing right leaning members able to speak up so it comes across as a big deal to them. Left Leaning people are just accustomed to being the majority in places like these. But everyone is welcome to voice their opinion on things without being banned. Unlike Era and Old Gaf. So this whole needing more members to "Balance" things out is funny. Just comment and discuss things. People will see there isn't an echo chamber with mass banning of dissent and they will come.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Sorry if it wasn't clear, but that quoted piece is a message "to resetera". Not to this user in particular. And after my permaban for "abusing the reports system" I sent something in that vein to them via email (though worded far more tactfully and constructively) and big surprise, I got back "thanks for reaching out, but..." boiler plate, and then no further follow up.
I get that, but the terminology on display is what Kitsune is referring at - It is more complaint than actual discussion, if you catch my drift.

I know your story and i can relate to it aswell since i got similar boiler plated replies. 2 months or so i wrote in (despite being banned for 4 months already) to notify them that among my PM's was a user with 0 posts who had a whole story regarding John and Gemma Bain, purely as a notification. Never got anything on that either.

But regardless, I reacted harshly largely because of the bullshit narrative and faulty assumptions brought by that user (basically peddling similar dishonest nonsense to what pays Nobody_Important's bills around here). Casting era as good guys that just want to live on the internet in peace if only those darn neogaf members would stop baselessly attacking them.
That's not what i got out of his post, but i can see why you implicated as much and i agree with that. There is a lot to be said about both GAF and ERA and perhaps we are snowflakes indeed, but i do think its false to perpetuate ERA as some kind of healthy place, but i dont think Kitsune said so as much.

I do have a disdain (again not talking about kitsune here) in general for people taking potshots from the sidelines and then refusing accountability for it, let alone contributing to any positively around GAF here. The user who made the salty snowflake post was one of those, but i don't believe the people who liked it were, and therefore i wanted to hear their voices. Because i geniunely believe you need these voices aswell.

And thankfully some did voice their views. Whether or not i would agree or disagree with it is less important, their views were important. Heck, Kitsune's post is also important for a significant portion of it.

People aren't used to seeing right leaning members able to speak up so it comes across as a big deal to them. Left Leaning people are just accustomed to being the majority in places like these. But everyone is welcome to voice their opinion on things without being banned. Unlike Era and Old Gaf. So this whole needing more members to "Balance" things out is funny. Just comment and discuss things. People will see there isn't an echo chamber with mass banning of dissent and they will come.
The mention of balance was about the tone of the political threads, and relaying my experience of seeing that tone put people off joining (if you want to know what I mean by this my first post ITT explains it). That was the point.

It might not be a concern, I don't know what the new member joining rates are etc...

And it might just even out over time, but there is also the danger it won't. This place could be just as small in a year's time, or it could grow but turn into a different kind of hive than Era. These are both possibilities that should be considered, imo.

Last edited:
You mean, a LOT were and a few that weren't were banned.

There were a lot of differing opinions in those threads, you can search for them and have a read if you need to. The point is you can't take one person's opinion and say "but this place said something else before!" when there's obviously a divide on the topic. Even if the divide was largely uneven in favour of one side, it still doesn't mean much because opinions differ from person to person.

And we don't need to do things like that to find examples for this thread.

Arkage

Banned

While that is true in some of the surveys and polls GAF has participated in, conservative users are much more prolific in their posting and thread creation. For example, for Kavanaugh there are polls that show most conservatives wanted him nominated, moderates were split in half, and liberals didn't want him nominated. Meanwhile 90% of those who were posting in the thread about his nomination were ranting about how crazy and insane liberals are and how Kavanaugh is getting unfairly maligned. The handful of us (like... three?) presenting the opposite opinion were continually dogpiled by multiple people. The conversational dynamic of politic threads, and many of the thread titles/topics in Politics, leans pretty hard in the conservative direction. Having a lot of liberal lurkers doesn't do much in making the site feel evenhanded.

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
There were a lot of differing opinions in those threads, you can search for them and have a read if you need to. The point is you can't take one person's opinion and say "but this place said something else before!" when there's obviously a divide on the topic. Even if the divide was largely uneven in favour of one side, it still doesn't mean much because opinions differ from person to person.

And we don't need to do things like that to find examples for this thread.

Just wish to point this out, your impartiality mask is slipping.

Just wish to point this out, your impartiality mask is slipping.

No it's not, lol. I think there's a lot of hyperbole and misrepresentation ITT along with all the good examples, just because you don't agree doesn't mean what you think it does. Let's try to avoid petty shit like this, please?

Last edited:
It was deshrouded the moment y'all came out

Mate, what?

That's because my views on identity probably differ to your own. I'm sure many of my beliefs will go against the standard here. There is no mask. Do you want to attract people like myself who hold differing opinions? Are they going to get this kind of response when they join, too?

The impartial stuff was regarding the discussion I started on the tone of this place and my experience, I'm certainly not impartial in my beliefs in general.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
While that is true in some of the surveys and polls GAF has participated in, conservative users are much more prolific in their posting and thread creation. For example, for Kavanaugh there are polls that show most conservatives wanted him nominated, moderates were split in half, and liberals didn't want him nominated. Meanwhile 90% of those who were posting in the thread about his nomination were ranting about how crazy and insane liberals are and how Kavanaugh is getting unfairly maligned. The handful of us (like... three?) presenting the opposite opinion were continually dogpiled by multiple people. The conversational dynamic of politic threads, and many of the thread titles/topics in Politics, leans pretty hard in the conservative direction. Having a lot of liberal lurkers doesn't do much in making the site feel evenhanded.

I am wondering if a lot of this is due to liberals in the US currently not having any power. It will be interesting if the tone shifts a little if Democrats get some power back.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Mate, what?

That's because my views on identity probably differ to your own. I'm sure many of my beliefs will go against the standard here. There is no mask. Do you want to attract people like myself who hold differing opinions? Are they going to get this kind of response when they join, too?

The impartial stuff was regarding the discussion I started on the tone of this place and my experience, I'm certainly not impartial in my beliefs in general.

16 posts. 11 in a thread about resetera ~70%

Not one about videogames. So yes, maybe share some of your opinions about videogames on a videogame forum first. Before we take you seriously. And if you and your mates are contemplating which forum to sign up to, this one accept free emails at the moment so there is no barrier to entry. However, given your perception is that everyone posts disproportionately about resetera, you'll fit in well 'mate'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom