• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2007 Auto Racing thread (F1, Moto GP, WRC, NASCAR, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidiSurf

Banned
Hmmm, Italy loves Kimi(?).

La Gazzetta dello Sport:

"Forrest Gump is packed with skills and few words."

From Iceman to Forrest Gump :D

Corriere della Sera:

"Silent Kimi, Kimi the Iceman, Kimi. Man who knows how to put pedal to the medal... but don't ever ask him show feelings."

Man: Hey Kimi show as happy face !
Man2: Oh my god did the world champion of Formula 1 just ate that man's head ?

Gazzetta dello Sport:

"Kimi lives near Zürich and it's perfect place for a man who lives from sorrow."

What ! I mean just WOW ! Kimi lives from sorrow now ?

EDIT: And about that fuel deal. There was very similar situation in 1995 when Coulthard and Schumi used fuel that was against the rules. They weren't punished for that.

tetsuoxb said:
Ironic, considering you go around editing the opinions of others.

But I would expect nothing less than this kind of whining from an Alonso fan.

Yeah, really?

I couldn't care less about Alonso winning or not, I'm actually glad Kimi won as he deserved it. But let's just check it, who's whining here?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7055644.stm

It's pathetic that McLaren treated their drivers so unevenly through the season. And now they're complaining to try and claim Hamilton as world champion. Sooo sad. Fuck McLaren.

tetsuoxb

ichigo kurosaki said:
Yeah, really?

I couldn't care less about Alonso winning or not, I'm actually glad Kimi won as he deserved it. But let's just check it, who's whining here?

It's pathetic that McLaren treated their drivers so unevenly through the season. And now they're complaining to try and claim Hamilton as world champion. Sooo sad. Fuck McLaren.

McLaren - A team with a baby, a grown man who acts like a baby, and their soccer mom "Ron Dennis". Nothing surprises me.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
ichigo kurosaki said:
Yeah, really?

I think the problem with McLaren is exactly the opposite of what you say, they've tried to treat the world champion exactly the same as a rookie, and it's pissed off the world champion and highlighted the rookies inexperience. Ferrari are the team that treats it's drivers unevenly, and thats what gave Kimi the title yesterday.

As for appealing, any team would do exactly the same, having the 1 & 2 cars next season is worth a lot of money, money Mclaren need more than anyone with the fine and the shitty garages they are going to get next year.

MidiSurf

Banned
He is known to have a taste for a drink, and a few years ago he famously made the British tabloid newspapers for his antics in a London lap-dancing club.

Oh man that was classic :D. It's truely sad that he can't drink public anymore :(. I didn't see any harm in his actions in the club. That only proved one thing, Kimi has sense of humor. And the stripers were cool with his stunt :D

Leonsito

Q: (Timo Kunnari – Iltalehti) Kimi, tell us about your feelings as a champion? Are you going to dance the samba tonight?
KR: I don’t know about dancing. I am not going to be in condition for dancing. We will just see what happens tonight – for sure we are going to have a big party, not just tonight but next week and I felt great after the race, a good feeling, but it has been a long season and it is hard to realise that we finally did it after many years and in my first year here at Ferrari and because it has been not in our minds to be a world champion because it seemed so far away, but we managed to come back and win it. So it is hard to believe that it happened. I feel great but it will take a little time to have the real feeling.

:lol :lol :lol

Pure James Hunt, the fucking man, I love you Kimi, never change.

bee

congrats to kimi, as far as hamilton goes it was disappointing but on the bright side at least he beat a double world champion in the same car in his debut season.

skybaby said:
Just a tiny bit of the report for you:

What reports, you ask?
Is March too late for they to change their braking system for the season? Jonathan Neale, Managing Director, disagrees:
With the amount of legitimate spying that goes on in F1, I wouldn't be surprised if McLaren already knew everything about the design of the Ferrari (and vice versa) even before they faxed their entire set of designs to Coughlan. And the FIA report was far from conclusive: it amounted to little more than "We can't prove anything but we think they might have done something dodgy, so we'll fine them anyway."

I agree that Raikkonen deserved to win the Drivers Championship, but there's no way Ferrari should ever have been gifted the Constructors Championship like that. To be honest, I find it more than a little bit sad that they wanted to win so badly they were happy to let the courts decide the outcome, instead of on the track. Same would be true if McLaren won their appeal over the fuel.

winalot said:
If anyone thinks that were it the other way round Ferrari (Or anyone else in the position) wouldn't appeal, they're kidding themselves.
I'm not sure about the "anyone else" part, but Ferrari would have definitely lodged an appeal. They even tried to claim that Hamilton blocked Raikkonen during qualifying, just to try and get an advantage before the race started.

Leonsito

http://ego.globo.com/ENT/Noticia/So...COMEMORA+A+VITORIA+DO+MUNDIAL+DE+FORMULA.html

borracho.jpg

:D

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Well, here's an uncomfortable one for the Hamilton haters.

Lewis Hamilton has told the BBC he does not want to win an F1 title through disqualifications for other drivers.

Kimi Raikkonen's win in Brazil secured the world title for the Finn by one point from Hamilton but McLaren are to launch an appeal into the placings.

"To have the world title taken away is a bit cruel and probably not good for the sport," Hamilton told 5live Sport.

"It would feel weird after Kimi did such a fantastic job in the last two races and won on Sunday."

He added: "I want to win it on the track. You want to do it in style, you want to win the race or battling it out for the lead.

"Being promoted after other people have been thrown out is not the way I want to do it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7056308.stm

MidiSurf

Banned
iapetus said:
Well, here's an uncomfortable one for the Hamilton haters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/7056308.stm

I really hated Hamilton and I really though he was just an cocky driver but now I have readed more articels about him and I'm actuall starting to like him (as a driver of course).

He really did bang up job this season... Still I think Kimi deserved more to Win cos he had 6 wins and Hamilton only 4. I really hope that Ecclestone and FIA enforces the "most wins = champion" rule.

And I must admit that most of my hatred came from fact that he got this god like status and every one are saying that no one could be like him. And he's best rookie ever. But I think many other drivers could do the same. Hamilton just happened to get he's hands on one of the best cars out there. It will be very interesting if Rosberg is driving on Mclaren next season.

Here is my top list of the young new drivers:

1. Vettel
2. Hamilton
3. Roseberg
4. Heikki Kovalainen

I really hope that Vettel would get change to show he's skills.

Best drivers in the biz are Kimi and Fernando. Both are super talented...One of them is total dick... Just kidding... Or am i ?

Pimpwerx

I hope McLaren wins their appeal, but I am very doubtful. For one, they are cheats. Cheaters crying foul of others just seems so damn low. Second, Ferrari were the victims of the cheating, so if you polled most fans out there, they should probably agree that Kimi winning the WDC was the most fair outcome to this season. Third, the FIA doesn't change its mind on these decisions often IIRC. It would have to be a specific clause in the sporting regs that deem such a violation worthy of disqualification. It would be done already if that was the case.

Congrats again to Kimi, b/c I think he'll keep that well-deserved crown. Lewis wouldn't want to win a WDC under protest anyway. He's garnered enough heat just for daring to be good, he doesn't need the FIA conspiracy badge for the rest of his career. PEACE.

EDIT: Glad to know you're consistent, hadareud. I thought you were just out to get Schuey in the past, but you've stayed consistent in your hate. ;)

skybaby

iapetus said:
Your inability to distinguish between proof and reading a lot into statements is duly noted.
The fact you amazingly skipped any commentaries on the list I posted last page says a lot. How can someone think the FIA is out to get Mclaren is insane.

And as per the news piece about Hamilton saying "he wouldn't want to win like that" do you think the PR people at McLaren would let him say anything other than that? Not saying he's lying, no driver would want to win like that, but posting news pieces like this as "uncomfortable" to "haters" is just a dumb premise.

Shinobi

That's a stunning fuck up on Hamilton's part...it's simply unbelievable. Can't call it a rookie error either, it's not like he doesn't know where that switch is after 17 races now. Sheesh...what a choke job.

Tenacious-V said:
This is cause for celebration, congratulations Kimi!!

Kimi's drunken fall :lol

I hate Ferrari, but Kimi's been my boy!

:lol That's more or less how I feel...I don't neccessarily think of myself as a Ferrari fan, and didn't have much love for them during the Schumacher era, but Raikkonen has and forever will be my boy. And Ferrari is a bit more likable these days...maybe more so since so many Hamilton/McLaren fanboys are so quick to point out Ferrari's crookery while convienantly ignoring the silver clad outfit.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shinobi said:
That's a stunning fuck up on Hamilton's part...it's simply unbelievable. Can't call it a rookie error either, it's not like he doesn't know where that switch is after 17 races now. Sheesh...what a choke job.

sure, but how screwed up is it that the car lets you do that? doesn't it know you're driving along at 100+ mph, therefore you probably don't really want to enter the startup procedure?

Shinobi

To be fair, there's about 417 different knobs and switches on one of those wheels. It's amazing that the drivers can remember what each of them do while hurtling along at 200mph.

MidiSurf

Banned
Hmm, I was just thinking this Hamilton hype and everyone saying that there has been no rookie like Hamilton. And we all know there has been rookie just like Hamilton.

So why everyone ignores Jacques Villeneuve ? I know his career went downhill ever since he won the championship, but he was equally good as Hamilton. So why they never mention Villeneuve's name ?

They even got same amount wins. They both had 11 podium places. Well Hamilton did have 6 pole positions when Villeneuve only had 3 but then again Villneuve had 7 fastest laps recorded when Hamilton only had 3.

MidiSurf said:
Hmm, I was just thinking this Hamilton hype and everyone saying that there has been no rookie like Hamilton. And we all know there has been rookie just like Hamilton.

So why everyone ignores Jacques Villeneuve ? I know his career went downhill ever since he won the championship, but he was equally good as Hamilton. So why they never mention Villeneuve's name ?

They even got same amount wins. They both had 11 podium places. Well Hamilton did have 6 pole positions when Villeneuve only had 3 but then again Villneuve had 7 fastest laps recorded when Hamilton only had 3.
I think your point has merit, but Villeneuve had already won a CART championship and the Indy 500 when he went to F1, I think Hamilton is seen as more of a "true" rookie, very young with only feeder series experience.

jey_16

Banned
probably because in 1996, the William-Renault was so much faster than everybody else that the only guy Jacques had to compete with was his teammate compared to Hamilton who had the Ferrari's to contend with

also because you kind of expected Jacques to be good considering he had won the CART championship and Indy 500 in 1995

people knew Hamilton was good but i don't think anybody was expecting him to do this well in his first season, he was lucky though that he was probably the first rookie since Villeneuve to have the best car in field on his debut

Animal

Banned
Villeneuve and Hamilton's previous experiences are comparable when speaking about their first year in formula one.

No, their debut experiences are not comparable. :)
Hamilton had to go up against Alonso (who had managed to beat Schumacher in the previous year) and Raikkonen in an arguably better car. Villleneuve couldn't even manage to beat Damon Hill in his debut year.

Also, Villeneuve's first championship went down to the final race... and he chocked/had technical problems, losing out on being a rookie champion. Strangely parallel to Hamilton.

MidiSurf

Banned
chickensoup said:
No, their debut experiences are not comparable. :)
Hamilton had to go up against Alonso (who had managed to beat Schumacher in the previous year) and Raikkonen in an arguably better car. Villleneuve couldn't even manage to beat Damon Hill in his debut year.

I really don't remember details of season -96 but did't Villenuve drop out cos he lost an wheel ? He didn't mess up like Hamilton. And Ferrari was very fast in the season end so Villeneuve really did have competition and pressure just like Lewis.

Maybe my point is that many drivers could do the same what Hamilton did if they had cars fast enough.

marvelharvey said:
Also, Villeneuve's first championship went down to the final race... and he chocked/had technical problems, losing out on being a rookie champion. Strangely parallel to Hamilton.
Not quite: Villeneuve had already lost the Drivers Championship before the last race. Even if his wheel hadn't fallen off, he still would have only come in second. I think it ended up something like 90-ish for Damon Hill, 70-ish for Villeneuve, 50-ish for Schumacher. And the only reason why Schumacher did so badly that year was because it was his first year trying to turn Ferrari back into a good team.

But despite that, the comparisons still fail because Hamilton had to fight against two good drivers in two good cars, Villeneuve had 1 good driver in a bad car, and Damon Hill.

MidiSurf said:
Maybe my point is that many drivers could do the same what Hamilton did if they had cars fast enough.
There is an element of truth in that, of course, and I'm happy to accept that a couple of the other drivers could have got very repectable results out of the McLaren this year. But to be consistently good all year and to constantly take the fight to two top quality drivers does take a special level of talent that very few ever show. Take last year for example: Fisichella ended up much lower down the order than Alonso in the same car, and barely looked capable of beating Alonso in a drag race. Same was true with Hakkinen and Coulthard back when the McLaren dominated in 98 / 99. Same with many other examples. The car can only get you so far.

chickensoup said:
Not quite: Villeneuve had already lost the Drivers Championship before the last race. Even if his wheel hadn't fallen off, he still would have only come in second. I think it ended up something like 90-ish for Damon Hill, 70-ish for Villeneuve, 50-ish for Schumacher.
Nope. Damon was ahead by 9 points, and had the tie breaker. If JV won, and Damon DNF'd, JV would have won the championship.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
MidiSurf said:
I really don't remember details of season -96 but did't Villenuve drop out cos he lost an wheel ? He didn't mess up like Hamilton.

Even with the mistakes, Hamilton probably wins the championship without that gearbox failure.

Even with the gearbox failure, he probably wins it without messing up, though. :p

Shinobi

Hakkinen: title creates new pressure
By Jonathan Noble Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 10:33 GMT

Kimi Raikkonen can expect different pressures as a world champion next year, claims former title winner and compatriot Mika Hakkinen.

The Ferrari driver overhauled Fernando Alonso and Lewis Hamilton in the points table at the Brazilian Grand Prix to deliver his team their first championship since 2004.

But with his team boss Jean Todt claiming that Raikkonen will only get stronger now that he has won the championship, Hakkinen has warned that things may not necessarily be easier for him from now on.

"The pressure will be different," Hakkinen told autosport.com.

"His confidence will go higher. It changed me of course. It was great to be world champion and I worked many years to get into that situation and to be world champion for a second time.

"But I was already psychologically and mentally tired. That was so hard a second year and the decision came at the last Grand Prix again - which was too much. We'll see what happens to Kimi."

Hakkinen watched the Brazilian Grand Prix unfold in the McLaren garage and admitted to having mixed feelings about the result as it was a fellow Finn who triumphed in the end.

"The race started and with all the problems Lewis experienced in the race, obviously the feeling [in the garage] was really down," he said.

"There were still many laps to go and lots of things could still happen. But the speed was not enough to get the position Lewis needed to be world champion. Alonso's speed was not quick enough to put him in a situation to be champion.

"So it was disappointing and I was just disappointed because all the things that have been going on this year – with the penalties, the spy story, the political side – it's been really psychologically very hard for the team, all the mechanics, and the management. The whole team has been under so much pressure this year and during the race I just felt: 'this is not good, this is not justice'.

"And then Kimi won the race and the world championship, so I was happy to have a Finnish guy winning the world championship. I was very glad. It's great for Finland to get another world champion – it's a great feeling."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63608

I love Mika Hakkinen...he's just the epitome of class. Interesting what he said about how mentally tiring it was for him to pursue his driver's titles.

McLaren deny Hamilton caused gearbox error
By Biranit Goren and Steve Cooper Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 14:38 GMT

McLaren have rejected suggestions that Lewis Hamilton's gearbox failure in the Brazilian Grand Prix was due to him pressing the wrong button on his steering wheel.

Hamilton was seen slowing down almost to a halt on lap eight of Sunday's race, dropping from sixth to 18th place, but was then able to regain speed.

The incident sparked rumours suggesting the 22-year-old pushed the wrong button on his steering wheel, which in turn left his car in neutral until he was given instructions over the radio how to reset the system.

Compounding these rumours was a report in Montreal's newspaper La Presse, which quotes Hamilton directly as saying he indeed pushed the wrong button.

However, a source close to the Hamilton family has described the report as "absolute rubbish", telling autosport.com that Hamilton has not spoken to the Canadian newspaper or said anything as such to anyone.

A McLaren spokesperson also denied the report and said the failure was not down to human error.

"We can confirm that the temporary gear shifting problem Lewis suffered on lap eight of the Brazilian Grand Prix was due to a default in the gearbox that selected neutral for a period of time," she said.

"It was not as a result of Lewis pressing an incorrect button on his steering wheel."

McLaren F1 CEO Martin Whitmarsh also ruled out driver error and said the likely reason is hydraulic valve failure.

"It was a gearbox problem, and it went into forced-neutral and changing down seemed to rectify it - it might be mechanical, but we doubt it," he told Autosport magazine.

"If it was something mechanical, they usually don't fix themselves. It could be electronics software - but there's no evidence in the analysis to support that. Could be a sensor - but again, there's no evidence in the data recordings.

"So it would appear that the barrels that change gear went out of control - and out of control of the driver - and that's probably hydraulic.

"That could be either a very small Moog servo control valves that were interfered with by a tiny piece of debris or they are sensitive to magnetic interference - something generated a magnetic field which caused the valve to misbehave."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63613

Honestly, I prefer this reason...I had a hard time believing Hamilton could've made such an amatuer mistake.

Shinobi

McLaren: issue too important not to appeal
By Biranit Goren Tuesday, October 23rd 2007, 16:57 GMT

McLaren have stressed that their appeal against the Brazilian Grand Prix stewards' ruling on the matter of BMW Sauber and Williams is not aimed at questioning the integrity of these two teams.

The race stewards decided not to penalise BMW Sauber and Williams despite both cars of both teams failing technical scrutineering, after their fuel temperatures were deemed lower than allowed by the regulations.

McLaren have today filed their notice of appeal to the FIA International Court of Appeal, and in a statement explaining their motivation, the team say that the the matter is too important to overlook.

"The Vodafone McLaren Mercedes team confirms that it has, via its UK governing body, the MSA, filed a notice of appeal to the FIA's International Court of Appeal against the decision not to exclude cars 09, 10, 16 and 17 from the result of the 2007 Brazilian Grand Prix.

"The Rules of the FIA International Court of Appeal allow a team only a short period in which to file a notice of appeal and McLaren has complied with that.

"The team has taken the view, from the information that we currently have available, that there was non-compliance with the Regulations.

"The team believes that the FIA has, in written clarification of the Technical Regulations and in its minutes of two Formula One Team Manager meetings, made clear how it would interpret and manage the Regulations and Procedures associated with the control of fuel temperatures.

"This process was followed in the normal manner by the FIA Technical Delegate following the Brazilian Grand Prix and the irregularities were reported by him to the Stewards of the meeting.

"Consequently, the team does not understand the justification as described in the decision published late on Sunday evening.

"The significance of this matter and its timing is, of course, regrettable. The team wishes to win races and Championships on the track.

"However, if there has been an irregularity, which is not the fault of the team, we feel that the matter must be properly examined to ensure that the rules are applied. This is something that we believe the FIA would fully support and would wish to be seen to have done.

"Vodafone McLaren Mercedes wishes to stress, however, that it does not question the integrity of either the BMW or Williams teams.

"We know, without even enquiring, that neither team would have sought to achieve a performance advantage by such an irregularity and that the situation could only have arisen as the consequence of an operational error within the team on the day.

"Ultimately we feel that the FIA should determine whether an irregularity occurred or not, and the team will fully respect the process and any decision that is ultimately given."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63617

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Looks like we'll get that night race next year as well as some additional information.

Formula One organisers have confirmed the sport will stage a night race for the first time in its history next year.

The streets of Singapore, which wind their way around Marina Bay, will be the venue for the historic race which is scheduled to take place on 28 September 2008.

Organisation officials have also revealed the Canada Grand Prix will be part of an extended 18-race calendar next year, which will also include a daytime street race to be held in Valencia, Spain.

2008 Formula One Calender.

March 16: Australia (Melbourne)

March 23: Malaysia (Sepang)

April 6: Bahrain (Sakhir)

April 27: Spain (Barcelona)

May 11: Turkey (Istanbul)

May 25: Monaco

June 8: Canada (Montreal)

June 22: France (Magny-Cours)

July 6: Great Britain (Silverstone)

July 20: Germany (Hockenheim)

Aug 3: Hungary (Hungaroring)

Aug 24: Europe (Valencia, Spain)

Sept 7: Belgium (Spa-Francorchamps)

Sept 14: Italy (Monza)

Sept 28: Singapore (evening)

Oct 12: Japan (Mont-Fuji)

Oct 19: China (Shanghai)

Nov 2: Brazil (Sao Paulo)

speedpop said:
Looks like we'll get that night race next year as well as some additiomal information.
Singapore sounds awesome.
It's great to see some new street circuits on the calendar as well. The drivers are getting too soft with their huge circuits and mile wide concrete run off areas ;-)

speedpop

Yeah I'm just trying to consider the race track in Singapore. Some places are very stand-offish in terms of how the cars go through but there are some other roads through the city that would be incredible in terms of racing goes. It'd be like Monaco GP except with areas where you can pass opponents.

Heck it might not even race through the city area itself.

Aegus

Singapore GP is going to be amazing. Half-tempted to phone my Dad up and ask If he'll finance a trip to the GP (He lives in Phuket atm).

speedpop

chickensoup said:
The circuit layout is here, although I've got no idea where the Marina is in relation to anywhere else in Singapore.
Awesome. Had a very fair idea that they'd use Anderson & Esplanade Bridges and it seems like the entire track is in the city. Several hotels right on the race track will mean that you could even just stay inside and watch the race unfold on the balcony. No dispute that it will be one of the most beautiful tracks to see next year because of these factors.

Looks pretty nice. The width of the road alone should make for better racing than Monaco, and the layout seems respectable in that regard, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom