• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Auto Racing thread (F1, Moto GP, WRC, NASCAR, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, those rear wings look dumb as hell! I wish they had thought of a better implementation that making it more boxy.

monaco2008ferraridemo_f18788c.jpg

Here's a shot of the 1981 car. They need to go back to that wing design. And make the rear tires a bit wider to give it a racier look.

Flo_Evans

So is speed going to carry the races in HD this year? I need to write some angry emails to my cable company to make sure they add speedHD. :lol

Chris R

Flo_Evans said:
So is speed going to carry the races in HD this year? I need to write some angry emails to my cable company to make sure they add speedHD. :lol
um, the races that I saw were in HD last year... (or it could have been upscaled and still looked better in widescreen than regular speed), but I only got SpeedHD right before Spa (omg such a great race)

Pimpwerx

Flo_Evans said:
FTMFW!!! My Sammy is gonna love this. I'm so glad I wimped out on my boycott. :lol Oh yeah, who's up for making the Official 2009 thread? NASCAR kicks off in a month, and F1 in two. PEACE.

Flo_Evans

rhfb said:
um, the races that I saw were in HD last year... (or it could have been upscaled and still looked better in widescreen than regular speed), but I only got SpeedHD right before Spa (omg such a great race)

Where they HD last year? Damn I should of started writing angry emails earlier! :lol

rhfb said:
F1 isn't broadcast in HD, it's just the FOMs SD widescreen feed scaled up to HD size. There are no plans for HD in 2009.

Chris R

subzero9285 said:
F1 isn't broadcast in HD, it's just the FOMs SD widescreen feed scaled up to HD size. There are no plans for HD in 2009.
That's what I thought, but it does look MUCH better on SpeedHD than on regular Speed.

Dave Long

Banned
The new Ferrari is a good looking car, and within a year everyone will be fine with the smaller rear wings. Then in ten years when they let them grow again everyone will be like, "That looks horrible! I'm never watching those pigs on the track ever again!"

WOOOO!! Some awesome shots of the rally. Too bad Rally is pretty much dead in North America. Speed used to have 1/2 segments of the WRC in the mid 2000s and they stopped.

Flo_Evans

DarkJediKnight said:
WOOOO!! Some awesome shots of the rally. Too bad Rally is pretty much dead in North America. Speed used to have 1/2 segments of the WRC in the mid 2000s and they stopped.

I looked and VS. channel has Dakar highlights going on tonight! Race is still going on not finished yet. Tune in and support rally!

avaya

Dave Long said:
The new Ferrari is a good looking car, and within a year everyone will be fine with the smaller rear wings. Then in ten years when they let them grow again everyone will be like, "That looks horrible! I'm never watching those pigs on the track ever again!"

Bookmarked.

thefro

While this is bumped... Will Power is replacing Helio Castroneves at Team Penske in the IndyCar Series until Helio's trial is resolved.

Most think Helio's a goner (the Feds have a 90%+ conviction rate in these tax fraud cases), so it's likely Power has the seat for the entire 2009 season.

avaya

thefro said:
While this is bumped... Will Power is replacing Helio Castroneves at Team Penske in the IndyCar Series until Helio's trial is resolved.

Most think Helio's a goner (the Feds have a 90%+ conviction rate in these tax fraud cases), so it's likely Power has the seat for the entire 2009 season.

Castroneves is a such a tool :lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Surely we need a 2009 Auto thread now?

Helmet cam is brilliant. Feels like watching those Ghost Rider street bike videos.

Rear wing looks totally bizarre.

There hasn't been much MotoGP news in this thread lately so hear goes.

Kawasaki confirms 2009 exit

Kawasaki has officially confirmed that it will withdraw its works team from MotoGP with immediate effect.

News of the Japanese manufacturer's departure had already leaked out shortly after Christmas, but there had been suggestions that the company might be reconsidering its decision after an anticipated official statement failed to appear on Monday.

However, following a meeting of the MotoGP manufacturers in Japan, Kawasaki has now confirmed its departure.

"We took the final decision not to continue in MotoGP yesterday," Kawasaki's Katsuhiro Sato told the Reuters news agency. "It is something we have been considering since mid-December."

Kawasaki blamed the global economic downturn for its decision.

"Amid quickly changing business environment, Kawasaki has been promptly taking countermeasures to cope with the situation," said a team statement.

"As the world economy is not likely to recover in a short period due to the major impact of the financial crisis, Kawasaki decided to suspend its MotoGP racing activities from 2009 season onward and reallocate management resources more efficiently.

"Kawasaki will continue racing activities using mass-produced motorcycles as well as supporting general race-oriented customers.

"Kawasaki would like to thank all the fans and all those who have forwarded us great help.

"Mr.Yoshio Kawamura, the Managing Director of Kawasaki Motors Racing B.V. deeply appreciates the contribution and the dedication brought by staff members of the MotoGP team."

The team's departure leaves their 2009 riders John Hopkins and Marco Melandri looking for new employment, although efforts are already underway to place the former factory bikes with leading 125cc and 250cc team Aspar, who had come close to a satellite Kawasaki MotoGP deal last autumn.

Kawasaki finished at the bottom of the constructors' championship in 2008, and had failed to score a victory since returning to motorcycle racing's premier class in 2003, with a handful of podium finishes their best results.

But they had hoped to make a breakthrough this season, having signed former race winner Melandri to partner the determined Hopkins, whose 2008 season had been wrecked by injuries.

Silverstone To Host MotoGP In UK From 2010

Silverstone Circuits Limited has signed a five year agreement with Dorna Sports, the commercial and television rights holder for MotoGP, which will see the Northamptonshire circuit host the British Grand Prix from 2010.

Having hosted MotoGP between 1977 and 1986, Silverstone is no stranger to the top flight of two-wheeled sport, and the classic battle of 1979 between Kenny Roberts and Barry Sheene is one which sticks in many an older fan´s memory.

Richard Phillips, Managing Director of Silverstone Circuits Limited, is thrilled to see top flight motorcycle racing back on the calendar at the Home of British Motor Racing.

Phillips commented, `Silverstone is the UK´s premier motor racing venue and we are thoroughly looking forward to hosting the world´s premier motorcycle racing event from 2010. We have worked closely with Dorna Sports to bring MotoGP to Silverstone and both parties are extremely excited about the opportunity to take this world-class event to another level.´

`Silverstone is a unique UK race circuit; rich in heritage and unrivalled in terms of what we are able to offer fans, championships and teams. The Grand Prix circuit offers a combination of high speed straights and technical corners, presenting a real challenge to the riders, while the facilities for teams and spectators are second to none.´

`The circuit is also recognised as being one of the most easily accessible in the world. All of these factors, along with Silverstone´s vast experience of hosting world class international events, contributed to MotoGP coming to Silverstone.´

Dorna Sports CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta stated: `We are delighted that the MotoGP World Championship is returning to Silverstone as of 2010. The venue has excellent facilities and a circuit with a great heritage, having hosted some superb Grand Prix racing in the 1970s and 1980s. We are sure that MotoGP´s visits to the UK will continue to be highly successful when we make the historic move back to Silverstone next year.´

Also for any Hopkins and Melandri fans, Dorna boss Carmelo Ezpeleta has confirmed that efforts are under way to place the former factory Kawasakis with a private team for the 2009 season, so there's still hope yet for 19 bikes on the grid next season.

Also the provisional 2009 calender for MotoGP

Date - Grand Prix - Circuit
April 12th* - Qatar - Losail
April 26th - Japan - Motegi
May 3rd - Spain - Jerez
May 17th - France - Le Mans
May 31st - Italy - Mugello
June 14th - Catalunya - Catalunya
June 27th** - Netherlands - Assen
July 5th*** - United States - Laguna Seca
July 19th - Germany - Sachsenring
July 26th - Great Britain - Donington Park
August 16th - Czech Republic - Brno
August 30th - Indianapolis - Indianapolis
September 6th - San Marino & Riviera di Rimini - Misano
September 20th - Hungary - Balaton
October 4th - Portugal - Estoril
October 18th - Australia - Phillip Island
October 25th - Malaysia - Sepang
November 8th - Valencia Ricardo Tormo - Valencia

* Evening race
** Saturday race
*** Only MotoGP class

Some sad news regarding the Dakar Rally 2009.

Motorbike rider Guerrero was taken to hospital by helicopter

Spanish motorbike rider Cristobal Guerrero fell into a coma after crashing during the 10th stage of the Dakar rally across the Atacama desert.

The 48-year-old was rescued and airlifted by helicopter to hospital in the town of Copiapo.

"He is in a coma and has been taken to hospital where he will undergo a scan," said a spokesman for the organisers.

The race, held in South America for the first time, has claimed the life of French motorcycle rider Pascal Terry.

The 49-year-old was found dead three days after going missing.

British driver Paul Green and navigator Matthew Harrison were also left with thorax and spine injuries when their car overturned during the first stage.

The race started in Buenos Aires on 3 January and finishes back in the Argentine capital on 17 January.

It was moved to Argentina and Chile after security fears in Mauritania caused last year's event to be postponed.

_45373262_006719347-1.jpg

So anyone else watching the 500 today?

Is there a 2009 thread that i cant seem to find?

edit - epic fail for bumping this, i didnt read the last reply my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom