• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karakand

a people, a battlefield

olympics.jpg

East and West

beijing-olympics-61_666635n.jpg

the lines are drawn

Berlin_1936.jpg

how are you to live

2008olympiclogo.jpg

the fear of death is so close

olympiceagle.jpg

crimes are in our heads

beijing_2008.gif

are we ignorant and blind

610x.jpg

afraid to swallow our pride

beijingmask.jpg

--------------------Political shit ends here.-----------------------------

olympic-mascots.jpg

Editor's Note: The headers are supposed to say
  1. Welcome
  2. Who?
  3. What?
  4. Where?
  5. When?
  6. Why?
  7. Rules
  8. Winner?

headerwelcome.jpg

to the Official 2008 Olympics Thread. I am your host, Kara K. And (you may call me Kara), world renown:
  • drunkard
  • impartial observer
  • general lover of sport

headerwho.jpg

Lots and lots and lots and lots of countries. (With varying degrees of participants, naturally.)

headerwhat.jpg

Events from this year's Olympiad will come from the following categories:

Archery
Athletics (track and field events)
Badminton
Baseball
Basketball
Beach Volleyball
Boxing
Canoe/Kayak (Flatwater)
Canoe/Kayak (Slalom)
Cycling (BMX)
Cycling (Mountain Bike)
Cycling (Road)
Cycling (Track)
Diving
Equestrian
Fencing
Football (Soccer)
Gymnastics (Artistic)
Gymnastics (Rhythmic)
Trampoline
Handball
Hockey
Judo
Modern Pentathlon
Rowing
Sailing
Shooting
Softball
Swimming
Synchronized Swimming
Table Tennis
Taekwondo
Tennis
Triathlon
Volleyball
Water Polo
Weightlifting
Wrestling

The full schedule can be found here.

headerwhere.jpg

chinabeijingmap.jpg

• Who? Beijing, People's Republic of China
  • What? The capital of emperors, nationalists, foreign puppets, Maoists and proto-fascists, Beijing is an ancient and interesting corner of the world.
  • Where? Beijing is in the northeast part of the PRC, kind of near the Bohai Sea. Shit just look at the map I posted!
  • When? Like I said, Beijing is as old as the hills. If you held a gun to my head and demanded something more objective, I'd say it was first settled around 473 BCE, with the caveat that I got that from Wikipedia and Wikipedia is written by lying Euros.
  • Why? The IOC wants to hear you say, "make money, money!"

Locations of individual events within the city can be found here.

Additional Locations:
Football preliminaries - Tianjin, Shanghai, Shenyang, Qinhuangdao
Sailing - Qingdao
Equestrian - Hong Kong

headerwhen.jpg

The opening ceremonies are on 8 August 2008 and the closing ceremony occurs on 24 August 2008.

headerwhy.jpg

Long story short, we're supposed to put aside all our differences and enjoy the beauty of athletic competition because hey, who doesn't like table tennis? And while the cynic in me does scoff at this a bit, billions of people do watch the games.

So I guess they kinda do do their job. Sure there is the cheating, the violence, the politics and the boycotts, but nothing pan-global is going to go off without a hitch, right?

Now I am still somewhat skeptical of their necessity since nationalism (especially the ethno-linguistic kind) is a fairly pernicious ideology and international competitions more often than not encourage it but that is a discussion for another place and time.

headerrules.jpg

1. Troll troll troll. This isn't gaming side where you have to hide the fact you care more about Nintendo than moving out of your parents' basement with stealth trolls. Be loud. Be proud. Flaunt it like you stole it. Etc.
  2. Be funny. This is partially related to the above but needs its own line item for the sake of clarity. I am not here for your opinions or analysis. When I want those I will go someplace that has actual smart people talking about the games. What I do want is to laugh, and nothing gets me laughing like some good trolls (especially when thin-skinned folks start whining about them) and since any idiot can make me laugh because I myself am an idiot, I come to you GAF.
  3. There are spoilers. Television broadcasts, tape delays and internet streams will not sync up across the globe for this competition. If you are here in this thread at any point in time, someone will probably be watching an event you have not seen and they will post comments about what they are watching. If you are bothered by this go take a long walk off a short cliff, I am not highlighting spoiler text. It is asinine in movie, book and television threads and it is certifiable madness in a sports one.
  4. Cast your lot. I hate it when lurkers come out of the woodwork in sports threads, troll, then don't identify who they back themselves. Quid pro quo is awesome, brothers and sisters, and as such I would very much appreciate it if you identified who you are backing in your first post in the thread or don an avatar making it clear for everyone so that we might troll back in kind. Time permitting I may or may not keep a running log for newcomers centralizing all this information.
  5. No whiners. I am sorry your father was a failure of a man and never told you to suck it up in your formative years. Officiating is an imperfect institution and until we come up with something better, mistakes both deliberate and intentional (read: bribes, cheating) can and will happen. Champions don't let someone else hold them back, end of story.
  6. Read my fucking OP completely. I spent a lot of time on it because I love each and every one of you. GAF also has that sitewide rule about banning people that don't read them, so I am just watching out for your accounts!
  7. The Tower of Babel fell down. Feel free to talk to your comrades in your shared tongue(s) here. It would be nice if most of your posts were in English though because I value what you have to say and would like to know what it is you are saying most of the time. Also I don't think the mods will appreciate a bunch of posts in something other than English and I don't want this thread locked.
  8. I am a solipsist. Don't correct me. Ever. I don't care if I said something wrong in another language or if I said Team USA basketball is unstoppable. You are not me and thus I don't care because you are part of some shared illusion designed to torture me for the sum total of my miserable existence.
  9. Can the Tibet shit. Acceptable mention of Tibet: "The Chicoms are so intimidating they have to invade a country of Buddhist monks. Soooo scary." Unacceptable mention of Tibet: "I can't believe the IOC awarded the games to the PRC. Don't they know they are occupying a country blah blah blah cliche blah blah." The IOC made a mistake awarding the games here. None of us can do anything about that so shitting up my thread doesn't do anyone any good. Besides, some screwball(s) will fuck something up over there and embarrass the Chicoms during the games. (It's too tempting an arena to make a political statement in. Like what happened during the torch relay.)

If you don't like my laws I am sad because I am a benevolent lawgiver but ultimately must say tough shit. I got the gold, bitch. And as Jafar said in Aladdin, whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

headerwinner.jpg

All the time I have to here people that aren't Americans harp on about how fat and lazy Americans are. Sometimes I just want to shout:

goodgrief.jpg

but then I realize that the Olympics are a regular event and at the Olympics we fucking beat the shit out of you haters in pretty much everything which negates your tired stereotyping. We run faster, we lift harder, we cheat more sophisticated. Chins out, it's time to take your licks. U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

OKUSA2.png

P.S. To our distinguished hosts, it must suck to still be 123 aggregate medals behind a country that no longer exists (East Germany). Nascent superpower? Fucking please.

2008_guide_usa.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
Read my fucking OP completely. I spent a lot of time on it because I love each and every one of you. GAF also has that sitewide rule about banning people that don't read them, so I am just watching out for your accounts!

:lol Wha...?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
MIMIC said:
:lol Wha...?

Shocking, but true.

But seriously, The Redeem Team better get gold or they're not allowed back into the country.

MIMIC

Banned
Cast your lot. I hate it when lurkers come out of the woodwork in sports threads, troll, then don't identify who they back themselves. Quid pro quo is awesome, brothers and sisters, and as such I would very much appreciate it if you identified who you are backing in your first post in the thread or don an avatar making it clear for everyone so that we might troll back in kind. Time permitting I may or may not keep a running log for newcomers centralizing all this information.

LeBron-James--C10126004.jpeg

VenusSerena.jpg

novak_djokovic_sticks_out_tounge.jpg

:D

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
4 hopes:

1) USA Basketball doesn't get gold.
2) Michael Phelps sweeps his events.
3) China gets more medals than USA
4) Chinese Taipei gets at least 1 medal.

Solo

For the incessant shoving down my throat of that "Road to Redemption" crap, I hope USA men's basketball has another epic shitting of the bed.

Solo said:
For the incessant shoving down my throat of that "Road to Redemption" crap, I hope USA men's basketball has another epic shitting of the bed.

Fuck the Nike tie-in marketing shit, I get it and agree.

But fuck all that "I hope the US loses" shit more.

Solo

ryutaro's mama said:
Fuck the Nike tie-in marketing shit, I get it and agree.

But fuck all that "I hope the US loses" shit more.

Im Canadian - you guys destroyed us in our exhibition game a few weeks ago - Im allowed to hate!

As long as the USA basketball team gets gold I'll be content. I'd love to see China whooped in every category but that won't happen; I'll have to settle for the US getting more gold medals than everyone else

patriot.gif
USA
patriot.gif

calder

Buba Big Guns said:
I'd say that there is a 150% chance Canada is once again going to put another half-assed performance.
Well, yeah. Strangely I don't care that much anymore, we don't spend the ridiculous amounts of money on this shit as other nations do and let's be honest, we are a winter sports nation. I can't pretend to give a shit about swimming, track and/or fields or whatever for even 10 consecutive seconds so I don't get too upset when one of our "maybe if this part-time athlete in a sport no one in Canada watches but for an hour or two every 4 years has a great day she can get a medal" long shots doesn't pan out. There will be a few good performances I'm sure, a nice surprise or two and in the end a meh medal count and a few favourites failing spectacularly.

For me, I'm very interested in the Games as a whole. After the media almost single handedly ruined the Athens games with their fear mongery and, in hindsight, hilariously overdone concerns about construction delays I'm almost wondering how the event itself will play out.

Oh, and of course I'll be rooting like a madman for the US basketball team to shit their pants in a quarterfinals or something.

Solo said:
Im Canadian - you guys destroyed us in our exhibition game a few weeks ago - Im allowed to hate!

:lol sorry, I was actually at that game in Vegas.

We met up with some cute Canadian fans on the strip later that night...does that help at all?

Solo

ryutaro's mama said:
:lol sorry, I was actually at that game in Vegas.

We met up with some cute Canadian fans on the strip later that night...does that help at all?

Not really.... you took our dignity and our women!

Anyways, its the summer games, which equals yet another year of Canada pulling very few medals. We honestly should only participate in the winter games.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
picture_front_1288.jpg

who has the USA Basketball TV schedule? sucks that I won't be able to see anything live though.

calder

my name is ed said:
Is it cool if we cheer for two countries? Im Mexican but live in the USA and mexico doesnt really do much well.
I guess you could be interested in both doing well if you have strong ties to both countries but really, you should have a #1. Listen to your heart, just imagine if Mexico played the US in a soccer match who would you cheer for? I know who I would cheer for, and I've never *been* to Mexico.

IanZ

There are lots of interesting sports at the Olympics, but shooting is the least to me. What's the point?

The political shit...is just shit.

IMO I don't see how China even comes close to Nazi Germany, but that is for another thread.

In any case I want to see table tennis. Either I always miss it, but it seems like they never televise table tennis. It looks so fucking intense, especially since it will be on China's turf. FiOS has two dedicated 24/7 HD channels so I hope they show it.

Anyway USA, USA, USA!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLmkFb3oEYg

mawhon.jpg

This is what I am talking about, fucking cartwheels and flips! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxZ-5wELSJM
Counter smashes and lobs! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8IVASo0umU

Deku

Banned
considering this is an olympics game being held in an authoritarian state, i'd say the political slant is more than necessary.

Karakand

calder said:
Well, yeah. Strangely I don't care that much anymore, we don't spend the ridiculous amounts of money on this shit as other nations do and let's be honest, we are a winter sports nation. I can't pretend to give a shit about swimming, track and/or fields or whatever for even 10 consecutive seconds so I don't get too upset when one of our "maybe if this part-time athlete in a sport no one in Canada watches but for an hour or two every 4 years has a great day she can get a medal" long shots doesn't pan out. There will be a few good performances I'm sure, a nice surprise or two and in the end a meh medal count and a few favourites failing spectacularly.

For me, I'm very interested in the Games as a whole. After the media almost single handedly ruined the Athens games with their fear mongery and, in hindsight, hilariously overdone concerns about construction delays I'm almost wondering how the event itself will play out.
I was in Canada when Donovan Bailey won the 100m gold at Atlanta. It was kinda bumfuck Alberta, but man everyone got into it! I must've seen that repeated 2349082098 times on TV while I was there.

GG-Duo said:
that doesn't make sense, run it through your translator again!
tch tch tch, someone didn't read my rules!

TDG

Banned
Fuck the haters, I like the political slant, Kara.

I'm thinking I'll actually enjoy the olympics this year. And if I don't, I'll just troll the countries with ugly flags.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom