• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
giga said:
usa basketball schedule

Picture+1.png

I love how it's a forgone conclusion that we'll be in the Finals.

Bad sign.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
The jingoism in this thread is appallingly bad, and that's taking in to account it's the Olympics.

They should bring back the Arts section of the Olympics. You know, the stuff that actually matters.

Oh well, I might check out the MTB events.

Mumei

Witchfinder General said:
The jingoism in this thread is appallingly bad, and that's taking in to account it's the Olympics.

I think the jingoism is meant to be in good humor, myself.

Stele

Holds a little red book
I hope Bekele sweeps the 10k and the 5k this year. Wait, is he even running the 5k? Just checked, yes, he fucking is. I don't really see Lagat being a factor if he runs the 5k. Just checked, Lagat is running the 5k. He's just too old even if American white guys can't keep up with him. Track in HD will consume me. If I wasn't so busy with grad school too.

Zep

Banned
You know...Some nights I have dreams of Sampras coming back and winning the gold medal, whooping Federer and making that has-been cry like a little pussy punk bitch.

It can still happen...

<3 USA

Lets go Barbados. Let's try to add another Olympic medal to our amazingly past medal count of one. Yeah you read that right, Bados has only won one medal (and it was a bronze) in 40 years of Olympic competition.
Granted we only send like 3 or 4 athletes per Olympics.

750px-Flag_of_Barbados.svg.png

barbados-map.jpg
Barbados_coa.png

And I don't want to hear any comments about Rihanna. Yes, she is from Barbados, so are a bunch of other people.
Now if Rihanna and her amazing legs were running track trying to get us a gold then we could talk.

BARBADOS - CHINA 2008 - GOLD MEDAL - BELIEVE

Since I don't follow international basketball, how many good teams are there? Is it as good as olympic (ice) hockey? I'll be cheering for USA.....well actually, mainly Bosh.

woodchuck

damn. Group B is stacked.

USA, Spain, Greece, Dirk/Kamen

I think the championship will be USA/Spain with Gasol playing like shit in another championship.

Player of the tournament (since they can't give it to an American because they'd have all contributed equally): Jose Calderon.

sportzhead said:
Lets go Barbados. Let's try to add another Olympic medal to our amazingly past medal count of one. Yeah you read that right, Bados has only won one medal (and it was a bronze) in 40 years of Olympic competition.
Granted we only send like 3 or 4 athletes per Olympics.

750px-Flag_of_Barbados.svg.png

barbados-map.jpg
Barbados_coa.png

And I don't want to hear any comments about Rihanna. Yes, she is from Barbados, so are a bunch of other people.
Now if Rihanna and her amazing legs were running track trying to get us a gold then we could talk.

BARBADOS - CHINA 2008 - GOLD MEDAL - BELIEVE
That's a cool flag you guys got there.

Karakand said:
Barbados is awesome, we beat them 8-1 in World Cup qualifiers this year.

Bastard! But yeah that was embarrassing. Losing that bad to a garbage USA team hurt. Bados looked like they just rounded up a bunch of guys walking around the island that morning and said have fun playing the US.

linsivvi

woodchuck said:
damn. Group B is stacked.

USA, Spain, Greece, Dirk/Kamen

I think the championship will be USA/Spain with Gasol playing like shit in another championship.

Player of the tournament (since they can't give it to an American because they'd have all contributed equally): Jose Calderon.

Gasol didn't even play in that last championship game. :p

gutshot

Nice, was wondering when an official Olympics thread would pop up. Was working on one myself, but your OP is much better than mine was, Kara. Although I did like my title...

"Official 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics thread of smog and STD-free streets"

Karakand

From some, perhaps, but it seems for many the Olympics - much like alcohol - removes people's inhibitions and their true nature emerges.
Veiled insults are not welcome at my table, sir.

gutshot said:
Nice, was wondering when an official Olympics thread would pop up. Was working on one myself, but your OP is much better than mine was, Kara. Although I did like my title...

"Official 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics thread of smog and STD-free streets"
Maybe an opportunistic mod will change the subtitle as things go on. You never know how things are gonna go down.

Dali

I just saw the host of CCTV's Dialogue take a swipe at Spielberg. It was pretty funny because he's obviously sore about it. I didn't think you were supposed to let that sort of thing come across on television. He was interviewing the artistic director for the Athens Olympics and prefaced a question with something that made him mention the Beijing Olympics' ex-artistic director.

From memory:
... he quit. He quit because of something he obviously has no knowledge about: politics.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
legend166 said:
I highly, highly recommend that everyone who likes the Olympics and has a sense of humour, subscribe to this podcast:

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/thissportinglife/podcast/tsl.xml

They'll be doing daily shows starting Monday.

They did a TV show in Australia during the other Olympics, but the stupid TV station here didn't pick them up again.

Here's a sample from 2000: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zjCc_VyxM4

Eh, I've never found 'em all that funny, although having met both of them in real life I can say they lovely blokes.

Now John Clark and Brian Dawe did something along the lines of 'The Games' I'd be interested.

legend166

Eh, I've never found 'em all that funny, although having met both of them in real life I can say they lovely blokes.

Are you Australian?

Because you're not anymore.

Chris R

Cyan said:
Haha, people crying about politics have clearly never seen a Kara sports OP before.

I'm not big on the Olympics, but FFS guys, let's win basketball this time. We invented the damn sport.

Oh yeah, and go Natalie Coughlin!

natalie_coughlin.jpg
Is that a pedo bear in the right hand pic :lol

Also, thinking about getting universal HD to watch more stuff in HD

Karakand

FreezeSSC said:
Does anyone know if the hamm brothers are still competing for usa gymnastics?
One of them dropped out. Paul I want to say... he felt he hadn't healed from a previous injury or something.

Unrelated: it seems there might be a delay in the equestrian competitions.

HONG KONG (AP)—Two dozen horses due to arrive in Hong Kong by plane Wednesday for the Olympic equestrian competition have been delayed by a severe tropical storm.

Equestrian event spokesman Mark Pinkstone said he didn’t expect the bad weather to affect the Olympic competition, which starts Saturday, as wet conditions are common at equestrian contests.

Organizers said in a statement that 14 of the 24 show jumping horses never left Amsterdam, where all horses must be shipped for a nine-day pre-competition quarantine, and the remaining 10 were on a flight that stopped in Dubai.

The horses stranded in Amsterdam are from China, the United States and the United Arab Emirates. The horses in Dubai are from Australia and Saudi Arabia.

“They’ll come in as soon as the weather clears,” Pinkstone said, adding a final batch of horses were scheduled to arrive Thursday.

qwertybob

Ahhh its that time again, a chance to once again witness super human acheivments possible only due to performance enhancing drugs, should be a truely an epic battle, may the best chemist win!

edit:

Cyan said:
Haha, people crying about politics have clearly never seen a Kara sports OP before.

I'm not big on the Olympics, but FFS guys, let's win basketball this time. We invented the damn sport.

Oh yeah, and go Natalie Coughlin!

natalie_coughlin.jpg

this is why i hate watching swimming, no matter how good they look, when in the water they they all look like this

natalie.jpg

Peru

Nothing beats olympics for getting inexplicably engaged in whatever sport you're watching that you haven't watched in the past 4 years and won't watch again in the next. I love this stuff, instead of the endless loop of the same sports we get the odd, the silly, the surprising. That said, Tennis is still my main interest these olympics, but I'll be paying special attention to: table tennis, womens volleyball (fond memories of the italian team), beach volley, kayaking (never get to see that otherwise) aaand.. whatever else comes along.

hirokazu

Original Post sucks.

The Chinese is rubbish, the Chinese characters are randomly serif and sans serif, half the post is pimpage for a song about West Germany, and there's shitty unnecessary shoutout for Team USA.

Fuck this shitty official thread.

Nash said:
:lol

olympicsLogo.jpg
img_logo_aoc.jpg

FUCK YEAH.

Karakand

hirokazu said:
Original Post sucks.

The Chinese is rubbish, the Chinese characters are randomly serif and sans serif, half the post is pimpage for a song about West Germany, and there's shitty unnecessary shoutout for Team USA.

Fuck this shitty official thread.
You could always make an unofficial thread. It would be very "fuck the man" and we all know how ladies love the rebel (especially if he is a dreamy heartthrob).

dalin80

Banned
So is anyone taking bets on how many athletes are going to have to hand there medals back in 10 years time once the doping gets found?

Iam going to go for 25.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom