• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official 2008 Olympics Thread - 1936, the Remix

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is epically heartbreaking for Cavic.

He's making this epic, triumphant, (too) sweeping lunge towards glory, and then...

Phelps just swoops in at the absolute last moment and crushes his dreams. The hilarious part is that his hands just materialize on the wall because of the half-stroke and he is so close. You're used to seeing everyone have a bit of a lunge for the wall... a dive bomb is just soooo unexpected :lol

SCReuter

At least Cavic is being a good sport about it.

But yeah, again, I can tell if that was a .01 of a second win and it wasn't.

tenritsu

Banned
If you look at the gif and focus on Phelps, he wins no doubt.

If you look at the gif and focus on Cavic, it's indistinguishable.

To get a feel of how .01 is, I took a stopwatch and literally tried to press the stop and start button at the same time. At my best it was .02 (The stopwatches absolute fastest time possible) and it feelt instantaneous. Now, take that and divide by two.

Incredible.

Ripclawe

Banned
slower

dbigdt.gif

Kikujiro

Guys, I think there's one fundamental thing that is missing.
To activate the pad it needs 15kg of pressure, and even if they touched together, the pressure of Phelps was greater.

I could be wrong.

besada

Banned
SCReuter said:
Yeah, I'll trust my eyes over an electronic touch pad.

Yeah, because your eyes watching a televised picture are more accurate than a Swiss made timing device and the overhead cameras that fire at 1/10000 of a second.

Timbuktu

My Arms Your Hearse said:

He's making this epic, triumphant, (too) sweeping lunge towards glory, and then...

Phelps just swoops in at the absolute last moment and crushes his dreams. The hilarious part is that his hands just materialize on the wall because of the half-stroke and he is so close. You're used to seeing everyone have a bit of a lunge for the wall... a dive bomb is just soooo unexpected :lol

Hoff probably fell apart for the same reasons.

SCReuter said:
At least Cavic is being a good sport about it.

But yeah, again, I can tell if that was a .01 of a second win and it wasn't.

You're a complete joke. It's not even controversial in the slightest in super slow mo. It's OBVIOUS.

And no, the computers DON'T lie. I'm glad your eyes and brain have higher performance in these matters than brand spanking new technology designed specifically for the task. Who fucking cares that Hubble is going offline soon, we just need to send you up there huh?

Ceres

Banned
You're a complete joke. It's not even controversial in the slightest in super slow mo. It's OBVIOUS.

And no, the computers DON'T lie. I'm glad your eyes and brain have higher performance in these matters than brand spanking new technology designed specifically for the task. Who fucking cares that Hubble is going offline soon, we just need to send you up there huh?

Wonder if he knows how magic tricks work.

Meier

No kidding. You *never* see someone time it perfectly so their stroke ends at the wall... to win on that, just amazing. Guy is unreal.

SCReuter

besada said:
Yeah, because your eyes watching a televised picture are more accurate than a Swiss made timing device and the overhead cameras that fire at 1/10000 of a second.

Psst... I was being sarcastic.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
are the timing pands sensitive to any touch or are they using the original street fighter technology where it varies based on strength?

Cloudy said:
If they really wanted to avoid controversy, they should have accepted the protest. It looks very shady this way IMO...

I think accepting the protest means changing the result. You can tell in that super duper slow gif that was posted that Phelps was first though. It's damn near as close as physically possible, but he was first.

giga

Cloudy said:
If they really wanted to avoid controversy, they should have accepted the protest. It looks very shady this way IMO...
they didn't figure it out this way. they have speed cameras directly 90 degrees above the final wall which proved that phelps clearly won.

quit your bitchin.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Cloudy said:

they have super slo-mo cameras right above the touchpoints. they checked and verified the result. trying to decipher who exactly won through a gif is a tad less sophisticated than what the IOC judges are using.

AstroLad said:
are the timing pands sensitive to any touch or is it like the original street fighter pads where it varies based on strength?

At the speed in which they're swimming towards the pads, I doubt the pressure matters much.

I mean, I'm sure they've thought this kind of stuff through.

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
Final proof:
win748.jpg

This is the moment Phelps touched.

win2820.jpg

In the very next frame, Phelps fingers are being bent by the pad, while Cavic's are not.

Obvious that Phelps won with those pics. USA USA

skybaby

alr1ghtstart said:
they have super slo-mo cameras right above the touchpoints. they checked and verified the result. trying to decipher who exactly won through a gif is a tad less sophisticated than what the IOC judges are using.
I knew it should have been an animated PNG!

Schrade

Cloudy said:
Do you just have to go against anything from the U.S.A.? Is that just the way you're programmed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom