• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Thread of WiFi voice chat & childish name-calling

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Chairman Yang said:
Holy crap. I never thought I'd say this about an Advance Wars game (or a Nintendo game), but the writing, story, setting, and characterization are all excellent.

I agree 100%. I'm fully engrossed in the story.

Proven

Little Green Yoda said:
How many Trial Missions are there?
Ranks/scores are not saved? What other differences between TM and the WR?

P.S. Your post is starting to steer me towards buying it this week.

Eh, I guess I was a little misleading. You can play Trial Missions in either Campaign or Free Battle. Free Battle is just Vs. mode so it's like if you played a War Room map for fun in the Vs. Mode. If you play the mission in Campaign mode, then you'll get ranked at the end.

But as many have said, many of the Trial Missions are Pre-Deployed, as are many of the Campaign missions.

Now what I didn't know was that you can set up individual unit AI in Design Maps. Now there definitely will be War Room/Campaign like maps out there in the wild (something many other fans have been wanting to do for a long time).

Im disappointed that all the DS features are gone, like 2 screen maps. Its like this is a GBA game they were making that was put on hold when the DS was announced.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
jamesinclair said:
Im disappointed that all the DS features are gone, like 2 screen maps. Its like this is a GBA game they were making that was put on hold when the DS was announced.

I never liked the dual screen battles, so I'm pleased. I think the changes are a step forward (except for the missing modes...).

commish said:
I never liked the dual screen battles, so I'm pleased. I think the changes are a step forward (except for the missing modes...).

Yeah, they could have been good, but they were poorly done. Especially when the story mode had an AI controlled top screen for no apparent reason.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Chairman Yang said:
Holy crap. I never thought I'd say this about an Advance Wars game (or a Nintendo game), but the writing, story, setting, and characterization are all excellent.

Exactly, this game is really really good.

Especially in regard to character development and interaction,
That prick mayor is a good example

The_Joint

Well, losing the War Room doesn't sound great... but if the campaign mode is excellent I'm still getting it tomorrow. One play through of an awesome campaign is waaaaaay more than enough to make this worth my while and then some. Please, more impressions! I'm very encouraged by what the Chairman said.

Hcoregamer00

The_Joint said:
Well, losing the War Room doesn't sound great... but if the campaign mode is excellent I'm still getting it tomorrow. One play through of an awesome campaign is waaaaaay more than enough to make this worth my while and then some. Please, more impressions! I'm very encouraged by what the Chairman said.

Impressions?

Soundtrack: The game has a strong soundtrack, don't listen to those detractors saying it is inferior to the previous entries
Balancing: Far better, the game is far more strategic with less emphasis on the CO's
Characters: The lead isn't annoying and Lin is still hot (she also has a very "asian" sounding theme :lol )
Graphics: The map graphics are a nice improvement over the previous games, but the battle graphics look a little crappier.
Storyline: Good all around, great script and much darker feel
Replayablility: I could see myself playing this game for over a hundred hours like last time, if not more so to "beat the score" on the missions.

Flynn

Hcoregamer00 said:
Exactly, this game is really really good.

Especially in regard to character development and interaction,
That prick mayor is a good example

For there to be character development they have to develop. So far they're all immovable types with nothing but the broadest motivations. At least before the story was light-weight and it new it. In my mind a half-assed, mis-step towards deeper story is worse than keeping things simple. At least then the game had charm. Now it's just a brooding bore.

Oh well, I'm getting this game.

I can't be deterred by the disappointing lack of a war room. I just love Advance Wars too much, even if it doesn't love me back the same way.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Flynn said:
For there to be character development they have to develop. So far they're all immovable types with nothing but the broadest motivations. At least before the story was light-weight and it new it. In my mind a half-assed, mis-step towards deeper story is worse than keeping things simple. At least then the game had charm. Now it's just a brooding bore.

There's plenty of lightweight humour and charm in this game. Make sure to use the "tactics" option in every campaign mission, and you'll see it.

Otherwise, there's nothing half-assed about the story. Yes, it's not especially original or deep or anything, but it's well-told.

The_Joint

Hcoregamer00 said:
Impressions?

Replayablility: I could see myself playing this game for over a hundred hours like last time, if not more so to "beat the score" on the missions.

Perfect. Hype train back on track. Thanks! :D

JSnake

I echo the thoughts on replay. I can see this game sucking up probably 100+ hours of my life. Online is really awesome.

nub question. How do I get my rank to rise?

Hcoregamer00

The_Joint said:
Perfect. Hype train back on track. Thanks! :D

After you beat the mission you get ranked, unlike the previous game the scores are completely autonomous and doesn't allow for an increase in stats for the CO. Instead they leave your ranking out there for everyone to see. For the purists out there, that should be motivation enough to try to streamline battle tactics and get the "high score."

It is very easy to replay the old missions, just go to the location on the map and start the battle.

JSnake said:
I echo the thoughts on replay. I can see this game sucking up probably 100+ hours of my life. Online is really awesome.

nub question. How do I get my rank to rise?

You can't "level up" characters like in the first DS game, so I assume you mean getting a higher rank on the Level scores.

In that instance, just kick the bad guys ass fast without losing men.

Flynn

Chairman Yang said:
There's plenty of lightweight humour and charm in this game. Make sure to use the "tactics" option in every campaign mission, and you'll see it.

Otherwise, there's nothing half-assed about the story. Yes, it's not especially original or deep or anything, but it's well-told.

Again, I have to disagree. By video game standards its well-told, because the words are spelled properly. But in comparison to the last Advance Wars games its a huge step back in the charm department. The characters are either blustering a-holes with no real motivation except for pure evil. At last the albino science villain has an original approach to his evil. The heroes are the worst though -- totally one note good guys.

I'll check out the tactics option, to see what you're saying, but this is the first AW game where I actually want to skip past the story.

JSnake

No, I mean if you go to records, your rank is displayed on the top screen. Mine is Bomber Squadron or something.

Hcoregamer00

JSnake said:
No, I mean if you go to records, your rank is displayed on the top screen. Mine is Bomber Squadron or something.

Oh, in regards to those rankings.

Just play the game for a long time. The more medals your get the higher you get promoted.

Hcoregamer00 said:
After you beat the mission you get ranked, unlike the previous game the scores are completely autonomous and doesn't allow for an increase in stats for the CO. Instead they leave your ranking out there for everyone to see. For the purists out there, that should be motivation enough to try to streamline battle tactics and get the "high score."

It is very easy to replay the old missions, just go to the location on the map and start the battle.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Could you please clarify?

Hcoregamer00

ninj4junpei said:
I'm not sure what you mean by the that. Could you please clarify?

Well, in the previous game the CO "leveled up" and you could be equip stat increases.

That doesn't happen anymore.

The points you get after beating the stage has nothing to do with the rest of the game. Instead it is used in the stage select screen as a way to motivate players to "beat the stage score" giving the story mode lots of replay value that the original game never had.

I hope Nintendo has an online AW website (similar to the GTS site for Pokemon) where people can post any map they've created and others can create them in their own game. I mean, even though downloadable maps are limited to 10x10, FC traded maps aren't, right?

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Flynn said:
Again, I have to disagree. By video game standards its well-told, because the words are spelled properly. But in comparison to the last Advance Wars games its a huge step back in the charm department. The characters are either blustering a-holes with no real motivation except for pure evil. At last the albino science villain has an original approach to his evil. The heroes are the worst though -- totally one note good guys.

I thought the villain motivations were especially well-done, actually. They're all a-holes, yeah, but in different ways, and their actions are somewhat understandable (though not acceptable).

You have a villain obsessed with preserving himself at any cost, ones that function normally in society and make pretenses at order and democracy but are short-sighted and stupid (like the Mayor), weak-willed pawns who feel guilt but go along with authority, berserk madmen who relish in the apocalyptic setting, fascist dictators who believe in Social Darwinism, and so on.

That's in contrast to the older games where the motivations boil down to "I like killing".

The heroes are a huge leap above the old games too. Ok, Will is a boring boy-scout, and there's the played-out mysterious amnesiac girl, but the others have more to them. Look at the different views of Brenner and Lin on the basic decency of humanity, and their respective responses, for example.

The game's no Portal, but it did a lot more with the story/characters than I expected.

NotWii

Banned
I'm up to chapter 8 so far, initial thoughts...

Pros:
- The bike is a great new addition.
- Flare unit is cool
- Chapter replay, fucking finally!
- Music is great

Cons:
- Cannot show enemy's attack zones like you can in Fire Emblem.
- New unit sprites suck
- New map sprites suck
- New sound effects suck
- World map sucks hard compared to Advance Wars 2
- Overall lack of polish compared to AW2 such as clearing maps

Flynn

Chairman Yang said:
I thought the villain motivations were especially well-done, actually. They're all a-holes, yeah, but in different ways, and their actions are somewhat understandable (though not acceptable).

You have a villain obsessed with preserving himself at any cost, ones that function normally in society and make pretenses at order and democracy but are short-sighted and stupid (like the Mayor), weak-willed pawns who feel guilt but go along with authority, berserk madmen who relish in the apocalyptic setting, fascist dictators who believe in Social Darwinism, and so on.

That's in contrast to the older games where the motivations boil down to "I like killing".

The heroes are a huge leap above the old games too. Ok, Will is a boring boy-scout, and there's the played-out mysterious amnesiac girl, but the others have more to them. Look at the different views of Brenner and Lin on the basic decency of humanity, and their respective responses, for example.

The game's no Portal, but it did a lot more with the story/characters than I expected.

You're right on those points, but the way the characters are embodied is really trite. As soon as they walk up and speak one line you know everything you need to know about them. Look at it this way. The game invests so little in the characters that there are regulars named "Civilian" and "Soldier" who have more than a few lines.

I guess my argument is that the old style, very light-weight and over-the-top worked because the tone was balanced. Edging a couple steps toward serious is more than killing a few characters and outlining the evil that the bad guys do. Once you step into this territory you're on the hook for more and I don't think they deliver.

I can't imagine this is the same localization team that handled the first games. There's a distinct feel to the writing in games like Advance Wars, Animal Crossing, Paper Mario and the Mario and Luigi game that I'm just not seeing. The level of quality in the writing feels a notch lower -- unless they held back to serve the story, which would be a greater tragedy,

Wii said:

Pros:
- Flare unit is cool
- Music is great

Cons:
- New unit sprites suck
- New map sprites suck
- New sound effects suck
D: Damn it IntSys. That can't be true.

Wii said:

Pros:
- Flare unit is cool
- Music is great

Cons:
- New unit sprites suck
- New map sprites suck
- New sound effects suck

....what? You gotta be kidding. That's plain stupid.

Guled

Wii said:

Pros:
- Flare unit is cool
- Music is great

Cons:
- New unit sprites suck
- New map sprites suck
- New sound effects suck
They can show enemy's attack zone, you just hold B on the unit you want. Overall I like the sprites and sound effects, I thought they sucked at first but it grew fast on me. Also, they world map is not as great as AW 2, but you only see it for a couple of seconds between each mission (also, the main menu really sucks). It dose lack polish (I think they didn't have all the time they wanted), but online makes up for it (which is really fun if you get a good opponent).

Also, did IS make Hotel Dusk? I'm getting a huge HD vibe from the game (which is a good thing for me:D )

Edit: I also just wanted to say that IMO the gameplay is a lot better, but everything out of that (except online) is not as good as the other AW (no combat mode FTL). But its better where it counts and I know I will spend more on this then AW:DS. The new style is also welcomed and hope it stays.

Also, who said that the characteres and story was not good. Its the best a Nintendo game has done for a long time.

NotWii

Banned
justchris said:
Wait, what? You mean pressing B on an enemy unit no longer shows you their attack range?
It does, but only when you hold it down.

You can't leave the attack zones on the screen and combine it with the attack zones of other enemies like you can in Fire Emblem.

Such a chore to highlight one enemy's attack zones, remember what squares were safe and then move your unit to one of those squares.

Guled said:
Also, did IS make Hotel Dusk? I'm getting a huge HD vibe from the game (which is a good thing for me:D )
Cing made Hotel Dusk

justchris

Wii said:
It does, but only when you hold it down.

You can't leave the attack zones on the screen and combine it with the attack zones of other enemies like you can in Fire Emblem.

Such a chore to highlight one enemy's attack zones, remember what squares were safe and then move your unit to one of those squares.

Oooooh, okay. So it works like previous Advance Wars titles and not like Fire Emblem titles. That's fine.

NotWii

Banned
justchris said:
Oooooh, okay. So it works like previous Advance Wars titles and not like Fire Emblem titles. That's fine.
Yep yep, which is very annoying since I've been playing 2 months of RADIANT DAWN! :lol

pilonv1

So disappointed at no war room, no unlockables, nothing to buy.

Very excited at playing real people online with different strategies.

Mr.City

I am now fucked. My college has wifi access, and online multiplayer means I'm either ditching or am extremely late to my classes.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The positive impressions are good. If the gameplay and strategery are rock solid, then the lack of content isn't so bad. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I played some missions, it was good. Then Endless Ocean claimed 4 hours of my life.

EBCubs03

Banned
Flynn said:

Uh...huh

Well, I'm half way through the single player, and the story kicks the shit out of every other Advance Wars I've played.

justchris

Rentahamster said:
The positive impressions are good. If the gameplay and strategery are rock solid, then the lack of content isn't so bad. Tomorrow can't come soon enough.

I agree. I know I enjoyed AW: DS less than previous iterations because it seemed like a lot of the strategy was broken, and you were just waiting around to see if you could get your CO power.

Anyway, there's always the possibility the game was built with the ability for IntSys to add content later on.

GDJustin said:
Three online battles, three victories.

I'm a one man wrecking crew :D :D

How are you playing online games? Are you just patient enough to wait for someone to arrive? I havent been able to play one yet.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I had a hard time finding a game this afternoon, but the two I played this evening, I got matched up the first time I searched for a game.

Touchdown

Banned
The IGN review is up. It's only 2 pages and basically says as it takes away things from the previous it adds a few new things. Doesn't include too many detalis about gameplay or online matchups. Closing comments include, "I miss the old more than I like the new". Score is 8.6. I'm off from work tomorrow, so I think I'll be picking it up. I loved the gba ones and liked the last ds one, but the top and bottom screen fighting turned me off and I still haven't beat it.

carlos

Found it at the local walmart, surprisingly; so far 3 hours in through 14 campaign mode missions (13 out of 14 S ranks).

But I'm not sure if that's because I'm really good at it from playing the previous games or is the difficulty lowered (probably a bit of the latter). there better be a hard campaign later ;)

Tried out a couple of trial maps and the difficulty on those is definitely harder than the campaign, from my brief impressions

Like the story, but I think I've got most of the mysteries of it figured out by halfway in the campaign (but a definite upgrade from the previous games)

Another plus on the new units and new abilities to old units, the series as usual gently guides you through the use of these.

It's now 4 am and I'm gonna get some rest, but needless to say even though the old gang is missing and there are a couple of weird game design choices, AW is still as addictive as ever.

BTW, 4 matches played online (yeah it was a pain to find people) and I've yet to finish a game; everyone disconnects when losing instead of the honorable "surrender" option. I am disappointed that as far as I can tell, there's no record keeping of any kind on wifi battles, except number of games played....took a cue from SSB:Brawl, I guess :(

Top Bottom