• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Thread of WiFi voice chat & childish name-calling

apujanata

Little Green Yoda said:
How many Trial Missions are there?
Ranks/scores are not saved? What other differences between TM and the WR?

P.S. Your post is starting to steer me towards buying it this week.

Free Battle (War Room alike) :
Classic : 28 Maps (initial)
2 P : 70 Maps (initial)
3 P : 32 Maps (initial)
4 P : 30 Maps (initial)
Total Maps : Too many to count (actually 160 Maps).

Moji Island in AW : DS is similar to Crater Island in AW : DoR

I am glad I didn't listen to those who said this game is lacking because there is no War Room, and delay my purchase.

I am off to play this game.

linsivvi

gimz said:
oh no, my friends in Hong Kong got the game already x)
damn

Yes it's selling at around US$30 in shops. It's strange. Most of the time US games arrive in HK a couple days later. Guess the game must have been shipped a while ago already.

Yay I got it!

Friend code: 184807661257 (can somebody open a friends code topic? im still a junior member.. :( )
Very confusing game so far (haven't taken my time so far on the earlier games..) Im trying out WFC now

Slacker

Banzaiaap said:
Yay I got it!

Friend code: 184807661257 (can somebody open a friends code topic? im still a junior member.. :( )
Very confusing game so far (haven't taken my time so far on the earlier games..) Im trying out WFC now
And just where did you get it? :-O

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
For the last time, Free Battle is NOT War Room! It's just Vs. mode! How in the world could it be War Room when you can set your opponent CO, set the weather, set Fog of War on or Off, your high score on the map isn't saved (heck, you don't even GET a score when you win a Free Battle map...)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
GDJustin said:
For the last time, Free Battle is NOT War Room! It's just Vs. mode! How in the world could it be War Room when you can set your opponent CO, set the weather, set Fog of War on or Off, your high score on the map isn't saved (heck, you don't even GET a score when you win a Free Battle map...)
You need to remember, though, that for many people the War Room wasn't about rank and high scores, but was used as the primary single player experience in the game. So claims of there being "No War Room" sounded much worse than they actually are. Free Battle may not be exactly the same as War Room, but for many people it fill its place just fine.

For me personally, I felt the score and ranking in the War Room were the weakest part of the game. It only encouraged me to pick the CO with the best advantage for the field and after reaching 300, scores become pointless.

Shit Justin, the way you said it, it sounded like this new mode was tiny.

Getting scores is fine, but I just liked playing the maps. If I feel like playing with max. money and spam the best unit I can or playing it with no advantage, who cares? It's not as good as War Room, but you made it sound like there was nothing like it.

GDJustin

Hand --> forehead.

There is no "new mode." Free battle is Vs. mode. Advance Wars 1 had a Vs. mode. Configure your settings and your CO's, and then play a 1-off match against CPU or human opponents, on over 100 maps.

AW2 had the same mode.

So did AW: Duel Strike.

It's good the mode is in there. Like you said, it allows you to play a "pick up" game against the CPU without having to just replay a campaign mission. It also provides a large library of maps for human vs. human multiplayer matches.

But it's nothing like the War Room. The ONLY ways in which they're similar is that you play matches against the CPU.

WR was a whole different animal, putting the human player in specific, disadvantagous situations. War room was like a really really robust challenge mode. Imagine a sports game where a REALLY popular mode put you in specific situations, like winning without being able to pass the ball, or winning with only 9 players. Would a simple "quick play" vs. mode replace that? Or a fighting game with a mode were you're put into a situation of escalating challenges - you can't block, or run, or something. THAT'S what the War Room was for AW's (many) hardcore fans. A simple "single battle" mode isn't the same

GDJustin

But really, the point is, EVERY SINGLE AW game has had Vs. mode *and* War Room. That's what is frustrating to me about discussing this with you guys. The games used to have two distinct modes. One of them is in Days of Ruin unchanged. The other is gone.

So the one that's left shouldn't be considered a replacement. Does that make sense?

besiktas1

GAF I'm ready and waiting! :D

foeno7.jpg

GDJustin

So I just got online for the first time, and the online map sharing/downloading is COMPLETELY ghetto.

You can't browse maps!

If you select "Random Maps" it sends an uploaded map down to your DS at random, in the save slot you selected.

If you select "reccommended maps," you then select a save slot and it's the same thing - the game just sends you a map that you don't get to see, before it's downloaded.

After the 1 map is downloaded, the game disconnects you from WiFi and boots you to the main WiFi menu, so you can only download maps one at a time, without seeing what map you're getting in advance...

[Nintex]

They just changed War Room into online, people bitched about online, they got online. The budget or development time won't change so they didn't have time to include War Room or something else.

[Nintex] said:
They just changed War Room into online, people bitched about online, they got online. The budget or development time won't change so they didn't have time to include War Room or something else.

Doesn't fly. They already had War Room ready to go. Worst comes to worst all they had to do was reuse maps.

Also, online gaming sucks anyway.

GDJustin said:
So I just got online for the first time, and the online map sharing/downloading is COMPLETELY ghetto.

You can't browse maps!

If you select "Random Maps" it sends an uploaded map down to your DS at random, in the save slot you selected.

If you select "reccommended maps," you then select a save slot and it's the same thing - the game just sends you a map that you don't get to see, before it's downloaded.

After the 1 map is downloaded, the game disconnects you from WiFi and boots you to the main WiFi menu, so you can only download maps one at a time, without seeing what map you're getting in advance...
That doesn't sound good.

Insaniac

For me... War room is the map editor. I'll be happy as a pig in mud making maps and playing them. Sorry for the people who can't just accept what dor gives.

being able to play the maps online with my friends will be awesome too.

For me... War room is the map editor. I'll be happy as a pig in mud making maps and playing them. Sorry for the people who can't just accept what dor gives

We already had map editors in the earlier games.

This isn't a 'gameplay change' like choosing different COs and units and toning down powers. This is flat-out omission. That is never a good thing.

This game isn't sounding too hot. I never played any of the previous AW's but this intrigued me with online - maybe the WR is unlockable? :\

Insaniac

Chris Michael said:
This game isn't sounding too hot. I never played any of the previous AW's but this intrigued me with online - maybe the WR is unlockable? :\

if you've never played the previous advance wars, theres no reason to not get this. You won't miss War room, having never played it >.>

on a seperate note, does the game rank you when you finish a game of versus? I want to make my own "war room" scenarios in map editor and share them with you guys.

GDJustin

GDJustin said:

You can't browse maps!

The flipside of this is that I just played my first WiFi battle and absolutely tore him up. It felt goooood :D

Couldn't pick the map, though. Game picked it for us. But still.

Insaniac: No, no rankings when you beat versus maps. On the selection screen the color of the map changes you you clear it, so you can see what maps you've won, but no rankings or anything. I think I'll just try and clear every vs. map once, as a replacement to the WR.

GDJustin said:
But really, the point is, EVERY SINGLE AW game has had Vs. mode *and* War Room. That's what is frustrating to me about discussing this with you guys. The games used to have two distinct modes. One of them is in Days of Ruin unchanged. The other is gone.

So the one that's left shouldn't be considered a replacement. Does that make sense?
From what I'm hearing, Trial maps are similar to the War Room, just paced differently.

Jiggy

Insaniac said:
if you've never played the previous advance wars, theres no reason to not get this.
I'd say that very fact itself might be a reason not to get this, seeing as he could pick up all three of the older ones for about the same price. :p Three times the campaign fun, or six times if he ventures into hard campaigns as well.

GDJustin

KittenMaster said:
From what I'm hearing, Trial maps are similar to the War Room, just paced differently.

Trial maps is clearly intended to be the WR replacement, yeah. But it isn't the same at all. I mean, some of the TMs are Pre-deployed, which anyone will tell you is would be sacrilege in a War Room map. ;)

gimz

Jiggy37 said:
I'd say that very fact itself is a reason not to get this, seeing as he could pick up all three of the older ones for about the same price. :D Three times the campaign fun, or six times if he ventures into hard campaigns as well.
you probably cant, can you? cuz i think the last time i checked the price for AWDS it is still pretty expensive, and its really hard to find AW1&2 now

Insaniac

GDJustin said:
The flipside of this is that I just played my first WiFi battle and absolutely tore him up. It felt goooood :D

Couldn't pick the map, though. Game picked it for us. But still.

Insaniac: No, no rankings when you beat versus maps. On the selection screen the color of the map changes you you clear it, so you can see what maps you've won, but no rankings or anything. I think I'll just try and clear every vs. map once, as a replacement to the WR.

alright no rankings, so i'll just make hard levels so people can feel rewarded for just beating em :)

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
GDJustin said:
WR was a whole different animal, putting the human player in specific, disadvantagous situations. War room was like a really really robust challenge mode. Imagine a sports game where a REALLY popular mode put you in specific situations, like winning without being able to pass the ball, or winning with only 9 players. Would a simple "quick play" vs. mode replace that? Or a fighting game with a mode were you're put into a situation of escalating challenges - you can't block, or run, or something. THAT'S what the War Room was for AW's (many) hardcore fans. A simple "single battle" mode isn't the same
War Room was nothing like that. It was more of a stage select than anything else.

GDJustin said:
Hand --> forehead.

There is no "new mode." Free battle is Vs. mode. Advance Wars 1 had a Vs. mode. Configure your settings and your CO's, and then play a 1-off match against CPU or human opponents, on over 100 maps.

AW2 had the same mode.

So did AW: Duel Strike.

It's good the mode is in there. Like you said, it allows you to play a "pick up" game against the CPU without having to just replay a campaign mission. It also provides a large library of maps for human vs. human multiplayer matches.

But it's nothing like the War Room. The ONLY ways in which they're similar is that you play matches against the CPU.

Thank you. This sums up how I feel. I didn't care for the versus maps at all. War Room is where it's at.

Did people honestly now know about the versus maps before or something? It's not a substitute.

Jiggy

gimz said:
you probably cant, can you? cuz i think the last time i checked the price for AWDS it is still pretty expensive, and its really hard to find AW1&2 now
Well, probably not in a used game store, but online sellers could probably be found.

Forgotten Ancient said:
Did people honestly now know about the versus maps before or something? It's not a substitute.

More importantly - unless you stack it, the odds simply aren't against you in Vs. They're designed to be even, so you can easily exploit AI to kick the enemy's collective posteriors. In War Room, the odds were always in the enemy's favour, be it a single extra property to having the entire mainland while you were shunted to a tiny island.

JJConrad said:
War Room was nothing like that. It was more of a stage select than anything else.

Since there was no other way to play the levels, it was nothing like a stage select. More like a bonus second game. I spent way more time doing WR than the campaign. The maps were for the most very difficult to get an S ranking on, and it was a fun way of experimenting with different COs.

The levels were set up to be challenging and generally played to the opposing CO's strengths. Versus maps are nothing like that. Taking out the biggest challenge in a strategy game is like taking out the best and most difficult levels of any other kind of game.

GDJustin

JJConrad said:

This is absolutely untrue.

War Room defined:

- The player vs. 1 (or more) CPU opponents.
- The player starts at a small (or large, or VERY large, depending on the map) disadvantage.
- The maps are ALWAYS asymmetrical
- The maps were set up to amplify the enemy CO's powers (Drake on Water maps, Eagle on Air maps, etc)
- The map is never pre-deployed - just a clean map. Both sides start fresh on day 1.
- A threshold is set by Intsys for the number of days it should take expert players to win the map. Also how many units they should lose, and how many enemy units they should destroy.

...There is nothing like this, in Days of Ruin. Trial Maps are closest, but many of the maps are symmetrical, many are predeployed, etc. It sounds like a nitpick, and it kind of IS a nitpick, honestly. But given how beloved WR is to fans (300+ hours spotted in this topic...), it should be clear that those hardcore players see something in the mode that perhaps you don't.

WR was a special sauce, brewed to perfection. To a casual fan Trial Maps might seem the same, but it ISN'T the same.

Edit: I wanna make something clear - I still like the trial maps. And I like the fact that the mapmaker is so robust now. (You can have odd map sizes - 5X30, etc. You can set AI levels for INDIVIDUAL units, like making a unit stay put until Aggro'd, etc. It's possible to make whole custom campaigns, now). I'm liking the campaign and the WiFi battling seems to be functioning as designed.

Days of Ruin is good. Very good. I just want people to stop saying there's something equivalent to War Room in the package. Because there isn't, and it's misleading to say otherwise.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
You were set at a disadvantage, but the computer could never exploit its advantages until a few turns in. By that time you should have built up a decent enough force to counter any disadvantage it threw at you.

The focus of DoR was taken off of the single player game and put on the mulitplayer. One was expanded and the other decreased. WR may be gone, but DoR still has a sizable single player experience.

Koren

I couldn't agree more with GDJustin point of view. The game is probably very good (that's IS... ;) ), with plently of interesting thing.

But the fact is that WR is gone, there's no equivalent, and for some people like me, it's a huge disappointment. I can understand that many people won't get our grips about this, but we're not ditching the game without reasons (mind you that many of us spent 1000+ hours in the past three iterations... we love those games. Imagine the reaction should master league disappear from PES. I'm not a fan of this license, but that may be a good comparison).

JJConrad : yes, but the experience in single player IS less than in previous games. And I don't believe that this game works very well in multiplayer between skilled players (should check DoR on this matter, though).

GDJustin

JJConrad said:
You were set at a disadvantage, but the computer could never exploit its advantages until a few turns in. By that time you should have built up a decent enough force to counter any disadvantage it threw at you.

The CPU's advantage was intended to be balanced out/cancelled by the player's superior skill - that was the whole point :p

JJConrad said:

Isn't that... kind of the whole point?

The multiplayer, especially WiFi is more than enough to get the game after not getting the previous two games, because I really wanted to play Multiplayer, but couldn't besides teaming up against the CPU.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Koren said:
I couldn't agree more with GDJustin point of view. The game is probably very good (that's IS... ;) ), with plently of interesting thing.

But the fact is that WR is gone, there's no equivalent, and for some people like me, it's a huge disappointment. I can understand that many people won't get our grips about this, but we're not ditching the game without reasons (mind you that many of us spent 1000+ hours in the past three iterations... we love those games. Imagine the reaction should master league disappear from PES. I'm not a fan of this license, but that may be a good comparison).

JJConrad : yes, but the experience in single player IS less than in previous games. And I don't believe that this game works very well in multiplayer between skilled players (should check DoR on this matter, though).
But there is an equivalent with the online mode. If you are a hardcore AW looking for a challenge, as am I, take your game online. It a far better challenge than playing an easily exploitable AI routine.

People were getting riled up because GDJustin was making it sound as if there was nothing to do outside of Campeign mode. This is not true. I'm not saying that FB is equal to the WR, just that there is still plenty of game here to play.

Isn't that... kind of the whole point?
The bottlenecks designed in the stages made it so most (not all) of the stages played out similarly in either mode. The biggest difference is the satification from thinking you were out-numbered.

Ranger X

The only thing that matters for me:

Can i play user created map of my choice with my friends over wi-fi? (if the answer is no it means the editor is 100% useless)

GDJustin

JJConrad said:
People were getting riled up because GDJustin was making it sound as if there was nothing to do outside of Campeign mode. This is not true. I'm not saying that FB is equal to the WR, just that there is still plenty of game here to play.

Modes are gone and were replaced with... nothing. Free Battle was in AW1, AW2, and Days of Ruin. There's no Hard Campaign, Survival Modes, Combat Mode, Battle Maps, and arguably no War Room.

There's much, much less to do by yourself in Days of Ruin than there was in Duel Strike. Multiplayer is a different story, but if you bring multi up you're mixing and matching math problems, here.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
JJConrad said:
But there is an equivalent with the online mode. If you are a hardcore AW looking for a challenge, as am I, take your game online. It a far better challenge than playing an easily exploitable AI routine.
There is no way online mode will be anywhere near the pick-up-and-play affair that War Room was in the past. It's not possible. That's already a problem to adults with full-time jobs. It's an even bigger problem if they didn't hit a home run with their online implementation.

JSnake

Insaniac said:
when you attempt to connect or in a game?

Sometimes I can't connect. Most of the time I do, but get cut off while looking for a match. Rarely, I do get into a match, but the connection drops shortly after.

My Wii's online is working fine, and the last time I played an online game on my DS, it worked great.

Insaniac

JSnake said:
Sometimes I can't connect. Most of the time I do, but get cut off while looking for a match. Rarely, I do get into a match, but the connection drops shortly after.

My Wii's online is working fine, and the last time I played an online game on my DS, it worked great.

i've heard that there aren't many people online, so getting into a match may take a little while. I dunno about the d/c maybe the online is just a little iffy right now

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Holy crap. I never thought I'd say this about an Advance Wars game (or a Nintendo game), but the writing, story, setting, and characterization are all excellent.

Top Bottom