• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL Batman Begins Discussion Topic - TV Spots, Reviews, RT Watch, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

http://www.batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

Batman sequel news

Three different - and unrelated - "industry friends" of BOF's told us something very interesting. All said that some sort of screentests (I'm not sure of the specifics) may be done this fall or early next year. Specific actors were not mentioned, but all said it would most likely be "villain candidates." Stay tuned for more on this one...

In a related note, I asked a longtime "Hollywood insider" and friend of the site about what was going on with Mr. Nolan and his potential return to Gotham:

"Nolan's going to return. From what I've heard, he and David Goyer have already lined out what they intend to do over the next two films. If that is indeed the case, writing the script(s) shouldn't take that long. The word is that Nolan will probably do 'The Exec' and then move on to the next 'Batman.' Summer 2008 is the most likely release date."

Now the following are my own takes based on what these guys and/or gals told me. I can't see the sequel coming out in 2007. There is no preproduction - other than looking into possible casting - going on right now. No way that they would be ready to start filming in early 2006. In my opinion, get "2007" out of your minds...

Now I hope that there is something into the filming back-to-back rumor. The guy who informed me about it has been correct with everything he has told BOF. With that said, even he said take it with a pinch of salt right now. But anyway, if it does pan out, could we see a HARRY POTTER-like release schedule for BATMAN? Say a summer 2007 release for 2 followed by a holiday (December) 2008 release for 3? Now this is nothing I've heard, I'm just throwing it out there. Whatever happens, it should be interesting over the next several months...

shpankey

not an idiot
sweet. but 2008 is so farrr away. but i am content we are getting it... with Nolan and all the same gang back. huha-fuckin-YAH!

p.s. DM, we need to hook up in some NCAA on the side sometime. so you can take time out of your epic FMT battles and just beat someone down (me lol) for fun. :)

Shinobi

shpankey said:
sweet. but 2008 is so farrr away. but i am content we are getting it... with Nolan and all the same gang back. huha-fuckin-YAH!

This is why they've held back on JLU and Batman Beyond box sets...so they've got Bat DVD stuff to release for the next three years. :lol

DMczaf said:
As of Tuesday
Domestic: $174,525,652 56.9%
+ Overseas: $132,300,000 43.1%
= Worldwide: $306,825,652

Did someone say Go Batman?!

:lol

DMczaf

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1505622/07122005/story.jhtml

Oh, and by the way: Neeson had been cast in a small part as Henri Ducard, mentor to the young Bruce Wayne.

"In this day and age it's so exciting to keep a little bit of mystery," Neeson recently relished. "Certainly, when it comes to going to see movies."

With only a handful of production people privy to Ducard's Keyser Söze-like transformation into the real Ra's al Ghul, cast and crew were sworn to absolute secrecy — and somehow they pulled it off.

"Let's not talk about it," Neeson coldly responded when asked for a simple "Batman" comment while he was doing publicity for "Kingdom of Heaven" in April. It's a normal courtesy for actors to discuss their upcoming projects, and, frankly, Neeson came across as something of a jerk at the time.

"Well that's good, right?" the Oscar-nominated actor would later laugh when reminded of what might have been his greatest performance. "We've been doing a good job on that. And even if people do now know, coming out to see the film, it's still an incredibly exciting film."

The deception was made a bit easier, Neeson insisted, by the true nature of Ducard's conflicted villainy. "I hate the term 'bad guy,' " he reflected, "because it makes me think, 'Is Ducard bad?' It has been hard [to keep the secret], and in the interviews I've been saying to journalists please don't [call Ducard a bad guy], you're just going to spoil it for your viewers."

Now that the bat is out of the bag, moviegoers seem universally appreciative of the Ducard revelation. Like 10-year-olds sitting down with their parents for a revealing chat, they are both appreciative and shocked by the effectiveness of the Santa Claus-like fib that was fed to them for so long.

"We were under strict orders not to tell anybody anything about anything," Caine said matter-of-factly, admitting that information was even kept from him at times. "I remember once I was talking on a show and I said, 'I'm doing "Batman," ' and they said, 'Don't tell them you're doing "Batman," tell them you're doing "The Intimidation Game," it's a gangster film.' I said, 'Christopher, it's "Batman." I can't tell them I'm doing "Intimidation Game." ' I didn't even know it was going to be called 'Batman Begins' until the end."

"This guy Ducard that I play," Neeson said, getting the final word on the biggest secret of the summer, "he is very much an international man of mystery. An Austin Powers, you might say."

Penguin

And to think at one point folks were dismissing this film as a bomb.

Well, the fuse has long gone off and Gotham is safe. :lol

AniHawk

Saw this again today with my dad. He thought it was a prequel to Batman 89. Afterwards we had a good discussion about the film and characters.

I think I liked it better the second time too.

Simo

"Stage 2" Scarecrow:
sc0044ko3fl.jpg

Filmed but cut due to fears that its use in the Fear Toxin scenes could push the PG-13 rating over to an R. Supposebly this is mask that caused David Goyer to proclaim how "fucked up" the Scarecrow's costume was at last year's Comic Con.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I picked up and read the book movie adaption version over the weekend.... interesting read... direct references to Talia in there as well as MUCH more of Bruce investigating the League and Ducard once he returns to Gotham, and the Lazarus pit is also covered in the book.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Simo said:
"Stage 2" Scarecrow:
sc0044ko3fl.jpg

Filmed but cut due to fears that its use in the Fear Toxin scenes could push the PG-13 rating over to an R. Supposebly this is mask that caused David Goyer to proclaim how "fucked up" the Scarecrow's costume was at last year's Comic Con.

That looks a lot better than the "worms and shit" one that appears in the movie.

Simo

Error2k4 said:
when he used the fear gas I think

Yep. It was to appear similiar to when you see Batman "Stage 2" when
Crane is exposed to the toxin
. I wouldn't expect it back in the DVD cut though as Nolan as stated that the DVD will feature no deleted scenes.

effzee

saw it for a 2nd time today on IMAX.

wow just wow.

but i did notice that lil pimple by christian's nose and it distracted me a lil.

but wow.

DMczaf

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,162604,00.html

From Warner Bros. chief Alan Horn.

But Horn does know the outcome of a bigger cliffhanger: how the summer 2005 box office ends. Unlike the other majors, Warner has done pretty well. "Batman Begins" was the beginning.

"Batman 3 and 4 were awful." That's a direct quote from Horn, which is what makes the "new" Warner Bros. so refreshing.

As the studio releases its second big hit of this summer season today, "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory," Horn doesn't mind admitting to have made mistakes.

At the premiere this week of the much less good "The Island," which Warner made as a co-production with Dreamworks, Horn was happy to talk about how well the studio has begun to fare.

"Batman Begins," he said, had to be "about Batman's dark side, about the Dark Knight. We couldn't go back to what had happened before."

He meant to "Batman Forever" (1995, starring Val Kilmer) and "Batman and Robin" (1997, with George Clooney).

"They were terrible," he said. "But we're also the studio that made 'Catwoman' and 'Pluto Nash,'" he said with a chuckle. "Everybody makes mistakes."

DMczaf

The theatrical success of "Batman Begins" lifted DVD sales of two other "Batman" films, both from Warner. "Batman" soared to No. 14 from No. 51 the previous week, while "Batman Returns" rose to No. 18 from No. 101.

:lol I bet Shinobi is happy.

Update on Batman's box office numbers as of Monday

Domestic: $183,968,964 56.3%
+ Overseas: $142,868,000 43.7%
= Worldwide: $326,836,964

Go Batman!

DMczaf

Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 8:21 AM CST: "Skip" and "Jason" sent BOF a link from SCIFI.COM in which David Goyer mentions BATMAN:

"The meeting [with Warner Bros.] was to discuss the expected sequel to BATMAN BEGINS, which Goyer wrote for director Christopher Nolan. As for the sequel, he said simply: 'We had a meeting. That's all I can say.'"

I contacted Warner Bros. yesterday and asked if there was an "official" status of the sequel. "Nothing has been announced," was the reply. Work on the sequel is taking place - you can bank on it.

Total as of Jul. 20, 2005
Domestic: $185,583,513 56.5%
+ Overseas: $142,868,000 43.5%
= Worldwide: $328,451,513

Go Batman!

J2 Cool

Teh Hamburglar said:
i think you can give it a rest now, DM

You should go see it.

Total as of July 21st:

Domestic: $185,583,513 56.5%
+ Overseas: $142,868,000 43.5%
= Worldwide: $328,451,513

Woooooh! Bats! Yeah! What do you think Christian Bale?

batman-begins-20050526092919124.jpg

"I bought myself a new car"

Socreges

Banned
Porridge said:
All I can say is, when I told this black lady two seats away from me to keep her toddler quiet, I was given the most stereotypical response you can hope for:

"EXCUSE YOU?!"

Yup. So when I tell her that her kid can't be talking during the movie, I hear this deep, ghetto voice down the row tell me that "She can say whuteva da fuck she WANT"

I chose not to say anything 'cuz I really didn't wanna die during a showing of Batman Begins.

GO BATMAN!

Very happy to hear the news about the sequels.

jett

D-Member
Batman Begins is set to pass 190 million this weekend, it can still reach 200. COME ON YOU BASTARDS, MAKE IT HAPPEN!

DMczaf

jett said:
Batman Begins is set to pass 190 million this weekend, it can still reach 200. COME ON YOU BASTARDS, MAKE IT HAPPEN!

They should do what they did for The Italian Job remake. It made like $97 million in the summer, so they re-released it in the fall to get it over $100 million :lol

WB should do that for Batman Begins if its really close to $200 million!

DMczaf

Batman Begins DVD comes out October 18th

Special Editions of Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin come out the same day.

Shinobi

DMczaf said:
Batman Begins DVD comes out October 18th

Special Editions of Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman and Robin come out the same day.

:lol :lol :lol Hope Clooney has a commentary track...

J2 Cool

As of July 23rd

Domestic: $187,483,000 56.8%
+ Overseas: $142,868,000 43.2%
= Worldwide: $330,351,000

Woooh! Considering it made 9+ million over the last week, I'm sure it will go over 200 million. Maybe even near $210-215.

WOOHOO! Where's all those "bomba" fuckers at now? Thinking it would be the bomb of the summer, Batman now might be the biggest HIT of the summer!
batman-c1.jpg

GO BATMAN GO!

Bob White

There is a reason batman keeps making money.

That reason is this THREAD. Keep on keepin' on my lovely man childs! Your HEARTS are giving this movie legs!

anyway......the batman numbers rock! Bring on part 2!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom