• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL Batman Begins Discussion Topic - TV Spots, Reviews, RT Watch, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob White

Hope Clooney has a commentary track...

*During the Batman "Ice skating" scene

Clooney : This movie destroyed my career. I....*sob*....I just don't know what happened. Joel said the nipples weren't 'gay', but very cool and 'dashing'. I mean, when I was kissing Uma I was thinking "That's right, motherfuckers. I'm batman." I really thought the movie was going to do well.

*The sound of Clooney drinking from a flask is heard

Clooney : That motherfucker said the nipples were dashing! It's my agent's fault! That bitch set me up! "Heeeeey, it'll be great, Arnold Swarzenagger is in it!" My fucking agent! Who the hell wrote this shit anyway? A bat credit card?! Jesus Christ! Why didn't i just walk off the set! You know, I got a fucking rash that lasted six months because of that fucking batsuit.

But does that ever get brought up when people talk about the movie?! Nooooooo. It's always "Batman & Robin killed the batman movies.", "Joel is a flammer", or some horrible line from Mr. Freeze. Shit! And to think, I was headlining in the same movie will Nicole Kidman. My God......what's happening to me? You know, during shooting, Chris O'Donnel and I wouldn't ever talk about how bad the movie was. We sorta always knew that this movie would kill both of our careers. But.....we said nothing. It was a paycheck. Shit! Right after I'm done with this taping I'm riding right to Joel's place and fucking putting a bullet in his head! I'm not fucking kidding either! I'm going to fucking kill that fucker!

And so on, and so on.

Should be a GREAT dvd!

DMczaf

Bob White said:
There is a reason batman keeps making money.

That reason is this THREAD. Keep on keepin' on my lovely man childs! Your HEARTS are giving this movie legs!

anyway......the batman numbers rock! Bring on part 2!

Go Batman!

Substance

I only saw this film a few days ago given I was flooded with work, and although I would very much to like to have seen this with a larger audience it was an experience nonetheless. Granted, Batman Begins wasn't as deep as I expected but it had an austere edge. There were a few memorable moments throughout .......the acting was particulary great.

Heh, but it was a tad laughable how perfectly philanthropic the Wayne family tree was. "Your great grandfather in the Civil War helped recently released slaves travel to the North"

Does anyone know whether the DVD released on Oct 18 will be the special edition? I really want to add this to my collection. The movie has solid, artistic cinematogerphy, strong acting, and atmosphere out the wazoo.

Shinobi

Bob White said:
*During the Batman "Ice skating" scene

Clooney : This movie destroyed my career. I....*sob*....I just don't know what happened. Joel said the nipples weren't 'gay', but very cool and 'dashing'. I mean, when I was kissing Uma I was thinking "That's right, motherfuckers. I'm batman." I really thought the movie was going to do well.

*The sound of Clooney drinking from a flask is heard

Clooney : That motherfucker said the nipples were dashing! It's my agent's fault! That bitch set me up! "Heeeeey, it'll be great, Arnold Swarzenagger is in it!" My fucking agent! Who the hell wrote this shit anyway? A bat credit card?! Jesus Christ! Why didn't i just walk off the set! You know, I got a fucking rash that lasted six months because of that fucking batsuit.

But does that ever get brought up when people talk about the movie?! Nooooooo. It's always "Batman & Robin killed the batman movies.", "Joel is a flammer", or some horrible line from Mr. Freeze. Shit! And to think, I was headlining in the same movie will Nicole Kidman. My God......what's happening to me? You know, during shooting, Chris O'Donnel and I wouldn't ever talk about how bad the movie was. We sorta always knew that this movie would kill both of our careers. But.....we said nothing. It was a paycheck. Shit! Right after I'm done with this taping I'm riding right to Joel's place and fucking putting a bullet in his head! I'm not fucking kidding either! I'm going to fucking kill that fucker!

And so on, and so on.

Should be a GREAT dvd!

:lol The funny thing is that Clooney's career did anything BUT die after this turdburger. He basically admitted the movie was shit, that he kept going with it cause it paid him 20 mill, and I think that honesty gave people a newfound respect for him. Frankly he became a bigger star after this movie, thanks to Ocean Eleven among other things. I think Uma did okay for herself as well, though I don't think she had another huge hit until Kill Bill.

But for the other main principles? Yeah, it was defintely a career killer. :lol

some BB DVD info leaking out, from davisdvd.com:

Once again, thanks to the BBFC, we've found out some early details on some upcoming bonus materials - this time for the highly anticipated release of Warner Brothers' Batman Begins. So here's what we've got so far: GENESIS OF THE BAT (14:52), SHAPING MIND AND BODY (12:48), BATMAN - THE JOURNEY BEGINS (14:15), CAPE AND COWL (8:17), BATMAN - THE TUMBLER (13:39), SAVING GOTHAM CITY (12:59), DIGITAL BATMAN (1:05) and EASTER EGG #3 - WAYNE TECH (2:28). The DVD has an official street date of October 19th in Italy. Thanks yet again to Andrea for the heads-up.

Oct. 18th i think is the release date in the U.S. GO BATMAN GO!

DMczaf

http://www.batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

And the rumor mill churns. Steve Carell as The Joker? Now take this with a big pinch of salt, but a persistent source says it is so. Carell is doing GET SMART for Warner Bros. and Charles Roven (BATMAN BEGINS) is one of the producers. Our scooper says that "...the studio wants to get someone relativly known, and can do comedy and drama. One guy brough up the idea of Steve Carell, star of 'The Office' and the upcoming film 'The 40 Year Old Virgin.' and the studio is starting to like the idea."

For now, Carell joins Lachy Hulme, Paul Bettany, Sean Penn, and several others rumored as a possible candidates for The Clown Prince of Crime in the BEGINS sequel. I'm sort of favoring Mr. Hulme and Mr. Bettany of the names mentioned so far, but that's just me and my own opinion. As far as I know, he is not one of the actors who are being screentested this Fall or early Winter - so take that for what you will.

J2 Cool

I personally like Alan Cummings. He just could work in the right ammount of oddball. I'd also love a parody of Dark Knight Returns comic, were he ever to do an interview and they mention he's the Joker in the next Batman film. Preferrably on Letterman. Comes out dressed as Joker. "I'm going to kill everyone in this room." *blows cigarette* Would be the best press you could get for Batman if he were to do it. :lol Seriously, it would be genius.

cummingslockheart.jpg

Steve Carell... I couldn't stop thinking about Brick if he were to do it. He's not an evil genius, he's an idiot!

Alcibiades

maybe because I didn't grow up on Batman comics but instead the TV series, then Burton movies and saw the other ones once or twice (and some rare watches of the animated series), but although I really enjoyed the film and thought it was great, I was only blown away insofaras it was a great contrast to the travesty that was Batman and Robin and Catwoman...

I hated the suit and batmobile before seeing the film, but now it makes sense, so definitely it proved the few doubts I had wrong...

that said, it's not like I can just forget about the Burton films just because they don't have the same level of focus on Wayne/Batman that Batman Begins did...

in fact, as interpretation of the Dark Knight, I think they co-exist quite well...

There are no particular complaints about Batman Begins, it tells a great story (which I never quite predicted, as I though Scarecrow was gonna be the "main" bad guy)...

I like the soundtrack (though I don't think it tops Elfman's theme) and love the Gotham City modern setting (though I also loved the Burton setting), loved the training part of the movie, the actors were simply amazing, and the plot and twists and how the enemies are involved is really refreshing (although the secret society hell-bent on destroying Gotham is bit larger-than-life compared to the rest of the movie which seems to be really trying to be ground every detail in reality)...

I also love the hit-and-hide technique Batman uses on regular baddies instead of head-on confrontations, and how the Asian segments explain where his methods came from...

the only thing is I wouldn't have minded an extended fight or two that weren't just upclose shots cause it's hard to tell what's going on sometimes (Lucas did too much of this in Episode II in the Anakin-Dooku fight I think)...

I definitely want to see it again to absorb it all again.. (I think Revenge of the Sith felt different for me each time I watched it... the 3rd time was the most I was affected by the Order 66 scene, before I wasn't slightly affect, whereas the 3rd time I was slightly moved)... perhaps I'll enjoy Batman Begins even better with another viewing...

overall my current feeling is it's awesome, can't wait for the DVD for endless repeated viewings (like I did with Batman as a child and more recently with Batman Returns), but as I didn't grow up reading the comic books, I don't really find fault with Burton films and will still love them (and have aged quite well I think) and just a few days ago I watched Mask of the Phantasm and Subzero for the first time, and still believe those are worthy Batman films... so basically I'm grateful that there is all these interpretations and styles...

I still have on my to-do list buying Mystery of the Batmwoman, Return of the Joker, and about 3-4 of the graphic novels (long halloween, year one, dark victory)...

its officially official, cockstringers! from Hollywoodreporter.com:

Dark Knight returns on DVD

LAS VEGAS -- On the heels of the theatrical success of "Batman Begins" and the birth of a new bat franchise, Warner Home Video said Tuesday that it will release a series of two-disc special editions of the four original "Batman" movies from the late 1980s and '90s. "Batman," "Batman Returns," "Batman Forever" and "Batman & Robin" will be released Oct. 18. They will be available individually and as a gift set, "Batman: The Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997." Each special-edition DVD features a new digital transfer of the movie. Bonus features include director commentaries by Joel Schumacher and Tim Burton, cast and crew interviews, several new documentaries, "making of" featurettes and nine music videos from Prince, Seal and the Smashing Pumpkins.

WOOT! Even though B&R blows, i'll probably just buy the whole boxset. You gotta get Batman Forever just for the Seal videos, and having Prince's Batman 89 videos on DVD is gonna PWN!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
can't wait for the director commentary on B&R should be awesome....

"ehhh well in this scene.....ohhh great next scene..... ehhhh why did I make this shit? ohh sorry thinking aloud"

I'm going to buy the B&R special edition just for the commentary :lol

Penguin

Well I can't wait to get this boxset.. gonna give the old one to my little bros.

I really want to hear Shitmakes thoughts on his movies.. though I hope it is a 2 hr apology.

And are they not releasin the extended edition of batman forever or was that just a rumour?

Shinobi

Error2k4 said:
can't wait for the director commentary on B&R should be awesome....

"ehhh well in this scene.....ohhh great next scene..... ehhhh why did I make this shit? ohh sorry thinking aloud"

I'm going to buy the B&R special edition just for the commentary :lol

:lol It could be one of the best commentary tracks of all time.

DMczaf

http://www.batman-on-film.com/interview_lshapiro.html

Interview with Lee Shapiro

How intent was Warner Bros. on getting Batman back on screen after "Batman and Robin?" And what do you know about that process?

"To the best of my knowledge, they were gung ho right after the release of 'Batman and Robin,' but that eagerness subsided over time in favor of making the right choice for the next installment. I don't think there ever was a time when they didn't want to make another movie, but I know there was a time when their eagerness and our desire to wait collided. We felt that the main thing the franchise, as well as our particular story, needed was distance from the last movie. Regardless of their decision, time did serve the franchise well."

They passed on our script sometime in late 2000, but as far as we know, ours was in the running the longest. I think there was one other story after ours but before Miller's and Aronofsky's 'Batman: Year One,' but Warner passed on both within a few months of their receipt. All in all, I think there were only 4-5 story ideas before 'Batman Begins,' which is a low ratio for Hollywood."

Have you seen "BATMAN BEGINS?" If so, what's your thoughts about the movie?

Yes, I have seen it twice, and I enjoyed it better the second time, mainly because my expectations were no longer a factor. Overall, I enjoyed it better than the previous four, mainly because it dealt with the subject matter in a serious, real world fashion. I loved the casting and the performances (except for Christian Bale's voice as Batman) and appreciated the use of non-CG special effects, as well as the lack of one-liners. Production-wise, I didn't care for the cinematography during the fight scenes, which didn't seem very choreographed. I also didn't enjoy the audio mixing because the dialogue was difficult to understand in several spots (luckily, I had already read the script).

Oh yeah

Domestic: $192,883,034 56.2%
+ Overseas: $150,100,000 43.8%
= Worldwide: $342,983,034

Go Batman!

El_Victor

Saw it last night and I was satisfied overall. Together with Sin City it was the best movie this summer, and I actually think it topped Sin City but I need to see them both again to come to a conclusion.
Do we know anything about the sequel? I can't wait, really.

J2 Cool

acidviper said:
OMFG why did they pronounce R'as Al Ghul as RAZ instead of RAISH. They even made fun of this in Batman Beyond. Lame.

The original creator of R'as Al Ghul had always planned to pronounce it "Raz". He's the one to fault. The animated series though being as smart as they usually were, looked up the official way to pronounce it and thus a alternate timeline shift was created.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
DMczaf said:
Oh yeah

Domestic: $192,883,034 56.2%
+ Overseas: $150,100,000 43.8%
= Worldwide: $342,983,034

Go Batman!

hells yeah 200 million here we come :D

El_Victor said:
Saw it last night and I was satisfied overall. Together with Sin City it was the best movie this summer, and I actually think it topped Sin City but I need to see them both again to come to a conclusion.
Do we know anything about the sequel? I can't wait, really.

Joker is the next villian :) that's the only thing we know as of right now

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
VisionaryQuest0 said:
Can't wait to hear Schumacher's explaination for Batman & Robin.
"You wouldn't believe the amount of chastising we took over the original Batman suits not having nipples. I almsot had to change my area code."

"And to this day I feel there just aren't enough punchlines in the movie. Eventually though we were way over the punchline budget and had to either stop or hand off the responsibilities to crewmembers kids. I always thought we made the right decision."

"After Junior, Jingle All the Way, and Eraser, I KNEW we could get Arnold. I mean really, WHAT ELSE did he have going for him?"

"When VH1 approached me about doing a Where Are They Now?:Batman and Robin edition, I was touched."

"American Express approached me and offered six figures to include that product placement. Six figures!! How can you argue with that? But what I am most proud about with that was how subtley and naturally I could include it in to the film. Most people have to be told about it and rewind just to catch it."

"One word to describe this movie? Nipples. And that was BEFORE Janet Jackson made them a household word."

El_Victor

Joker is the next villian that's the only thing we know as of right now
Whoa, are you sure? I mean, that just wasn't clear enough in the end.. ;)
And there was some info in the beginning of the thread actually, so bad question from me.

DMczaf

Domestic: $195,875,532 55.6%
+ Overseas: $156,191,000 44.4%
= Worldwide: $352,066,532

Woo! Finally passed $350 million worldwide!

Heres an interview with the producer of Batman

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/puls...in/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=004072

Uslan said Batman Begins is a story that started some 16 years ago after the Tim Burton version of Batman was released. That film took ten years from the time Uslan and partner Benjamin Melniker, acquired the rights to the property. In those early years, Uslan was turned down by every single Hollywood studio when he pitched a "dark, serious version of Batman."

"I was told I was crazy," Uslan said. "I was told, you can't make a movie based on an old TV series. That's never been done. I was told by a lot of studio heads, 'we'll consider it, but only if it's the funny guy version with the Pows! Zaps! and Whams! of the TV series. At the time I began fighting to do a serious approach to comic book movies, the mentality of the studios was that of a different generation - one that looked down its nose at comic books as cheap entertainment for kids. They had limited, if any, respect for the companies and the creators. Initially it was a long, continuing fight for so many years. My favorite rejection eventually came from Columbia Pictures. After I pitched my heart out, a dapper, silver-haired exec looked at me and said, 'Michael, you're crazy! Batman will never work as a movie because our movie version of Annie didn't do well.' I was confused why Annie's lack of success would affect the production of a Batman film, and he said, 'c'mon, Michael, both are out of the funny pages.' Again, that was the mentality of that era in Hollywood towards comics."

:lol :lol

Gribbix

acidviper said:
OMFG why did they pronounce R'as Al Ghul as RAZ instead of RAISH. They even made fun of this in Batman Beyond. Lame.

J2 Cool said:
The original creator of R'as Al Ghul had always planned to pronounce it "Raz". He's the one to fault. The animated series though being as smart as they usually were, looked up the official way to pronounce it and thus a alternate timeline shift was created.

I speak Arabic and the way I learned how to pronounce r'as was pretty close to the way it's pronounced in the movie. In fact, the pronunciation in the animated series sounds completely wrong, at least in the dialect I speak.

Shinobi

DMczaf said:
Heres an interview with the producer of Batman

http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/puls...in/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=36&t=004072

Quote:
Uslan said Batman Begins is a story that started some 16 years ago after the Tim Burton version of Batman was released. That film took ten years from the time Uslan and partner Benjamin Melniker, acquired the rights to the property. In those early years, Uslan was turned down by every single Hollywood studio when he pitched a "dark, serious version of Batman."

"I was told I was crazy," Uslan said. "I was told, you can't make a movie based on an old TV series. That's never been done. I was told by a lot of studio heads, 'we'll consider it, but only if it's the funny guy version with the Pows! Zaps! and Whams! of the TV series. At the time I began fighting to do a serious approach to comic book movies, the mentality of the studios was that of a different generation - one that looked down its nose at comic books as cheap entertainment for kids. They had limited, if any, respect for the companies and the creators. Initially it was a long, continuing fight for so many years. My favorite rejection eventually came from Columbia Pictures. After I pitched my heart out, a dapper, silver-haired exec looked at me and said, 'Michael, you're crazy! Batman will never work as a movie because our movie version of Annie didn't do well.' I was confused why Annie's lack of success would affect the production of a Batman film, and he said, 'c'mon, Michael, both are out of the funny pages.' Again, that was the mentality of that era in Hollywood towards comics."

:lol :lol

:lol Can't say I'm surprised...

I went and saw batman on IMAX last night and it just made the horribly choreographed fights even more apparent. I didnt know what the fuck was going on.

And I almost went insane with Christian bale's pimple/mole thing on his nose. It was huge on the IMAX screen!!!

GO BATMAN GO

DMczaf

Domestic Total as of Aug. 7, 2005
Domestic: $199,088,386 56.0%
+ Overseas: $156,191,000 44.0%
= Worldwide: $355,279,386

Go Batman!

More sequel news/rumors from BOF

In an interview with SCIFI.COM, BATMAN BEGINS producer Charles Roven confirmed that a sequel is indeed in the works:

"We all hope there is going to be another one...We're waiting for Chris Nolan to declare himself. We will do it after he does that."

This jives with what sources have told BOF recently - that the sequel was actively in the works and that progress includes upcoming screentests for The Joker. Mr. Roven stated that Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Gary Oldman, and Katie Holmes are all signed for another Bat-film. Roven also said that while they could do another film without Nolan, everyone would prefer he return. Thanks to "Jeff E." for the lead...

So, what do we know so far? Well, the major players of the cast are signed for a sequel. The script is in the works and new cast memembers are being discussed. The Joker and D.A. Harvey Dent are going to be in the next film. David Goyer has met with Warner Bros. and allegedly Chris Nolan about BATMAN. There will be screentests soon for the role of The Joker - which actors are involved is not quite clear as of yet (BOF has been told by two very reliable sources that Lachy Hulme and Paul Bettany are candidates for the part). Producer Chuck Roven says that everyone is waiting on Mr. Nolan to sign on to direct - which is going to happen. There are rumors that shooting the next two Bat-films back-to-back is being considered. Ah, feels like the good 'ol BOF days, doesn't it?

Alcibiades

I'm hoping they bring back the scarecrow in some way... I was very pretty disappointed with his role in this past film... I was hoping for a vile, nasty, tall and skinny, sickly, scary foe that would make your skin crawl and be this scary-movie type of villian... some uber-threat of some kind with Batman in his crosshairs... they mention him
in the last minute or so as having gotten away so there is always a chance he makes a return

Memles

Sometime around 12 PM PST (3 PM EST) yesterday's box office numbers will be released and, barring some form of catastrophe, Batman Begins will cross the $200 Million mark. While it will likely end up eclipsed by both Wedding Crashers and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in the Summer Box Office battle, it is still a pretty damn good haul.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
It thrills me to no end that Batman hit the all important $200 million mark. Hopefully Warner Bros. paid attention to the legs this film had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom