• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL Batman Begins Discussion Topic - TV Spots, Reviews, RT Watch, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soybean

I ordered a week ago from Amazon and they still haven't shipped.

Damn you free shipping! Your bargain price of $0 comes at a great cost of patience.

DMczaf

Soybean said:

Damn you free shipping! Your bargain price of $0 comes at a great cost of patience.

I ordered it on Saturday from Amazon with the cheapest shipping just above Free and it shipped on Sunday :lol

DMczaf said:
I ordered it on Saturday from Amazon with the cheapest shipping just above Free and it shipped on Sunday :lol

same here. Mine shipped like 2 days after i ordered and arrived the Monday before it came out in stores. :lol The cheapest was only like $2.00 and even with that included, it was cheaper than in any B&M store..

Alcibiades

ha, I should have checked my mailbox earlier... I checked it Wed. on the off the miracle chance it arrived in a day, but it might have gotten to my box before then...

Alcibiades

Soybean said:

weird, like I had said before, I ordered on the 16th and checked my box the 19th and it was already there, and I had used the free shipping thing (anthology + year one put it at over min.)...

I just checked my e-mail and they mailed it a day later (ordered on Sun, shipped on Mon.)...

maybe something went wrong with your order, cause I don't think free shipping has much to do with anything... I think that free shipping is a bonus for ordering a certain amount but in no way is slower than actually paying...

J2 Cool

Willco said:
Fanboys aside, it was not realistic at the time to say that Batman Begins would gross more.

Chalk me down as #2 who guessed it would gross 180-200 million a couple days after the opening, by just looking at Madagascar's run and the way it was grossing money over the summer. There was a crazy reaction to your thread, and a lot of 'ouch's, but it was not unpredictable to the few brilliantly brilliant ones. I also called huge dvd sales. :p

Prine

Banned
Is it me or did you find the film to be even better watching it at home? I remeber not understanding some of the plot back then but on DVD its easier to follow.

Minor spoiler

One thing though, Ras Al Ghoul mentioned the league of shadows tried to save gothem and refered to Bruce's dad. Can someone expand upon his explanation, i didnt quite get it. What involment did Bruce's dad play?

End of spoiler

Simo

Prine said:
Is it me or did you find the film to be even better watching it at home? I remeber not understanding some of the plot back then but on DVD its easier to follow.

Minor spoiler

One thing though, Ras Al Ghoul mentioned the league of shadows tried to save gothem and refered to Bruce's dad. Can someone expand upon his explanation, i didnt quite get it. What involment did Bruce's dad play?

End of spoiler

IIRC Ra's explains that it was him and the League of Shadows who were responsible for the depression that hit Gotham years ago and that it was Thomas Wayne who "fought" against it by giving out money and care to the poor and helpless. This act helped bring most of Gotham out of the depression.

As for a better viewing experience I actually found the hand to hand fight scenes, especially the monorail fight, much more easier to follow and see while watching the DVD.

Simo said:
IIRC Ra's explains that it was him and the League of Shadows who were responsible for the depression that hit Gotham years ago and that it was Thomas Wayne who "fought" against it by giving out money and care to the poor and helpless. This act helped bring most of Gotham out of the depression.

As for a better viewing experience I actually found the hand to hand fight scenes, especially the monorail fight, much more easier to follow and see while watching the DVD.

The answer has even more depth than Ra's explaination as Alfred himself alluding already in the first half of the film that the deaths of the Waynes also shocked and pushed Gotham's rich and elite to save their city. The Waynes paved the way to save the city and their deaths furthered it.

Willco

Hollywood Square
BOF said:
Cast scuttlebut and release date?
Author: Jett Monday, October 24, 2005 - 6:31 PM CENTRAL TIME: This in today from a source that has provided BOF with some spot-on info before. He warns that this is only "industry rumor" at this time, but hey, it's a bit of news! Here you go:

"Got a rumored release date for you: Friday, June 20, 2008. Since it [BATMAN BEGINS - Jett] did well opening on a Wednesday, June 18, 2008 is a possibility as well.

Another thing I've heard is that whomever is cast as Dent and The Joker, will sign on for two pictures. There's still some talk of 'Batman 2/3' filming together, so this would make sense. Or, it could mean that there are plans to bring those two characters back with some sort of 'cliffhanger" at the end of this next film."

Now, it wouldn't take The World's Greatest Detective to deduce most of this - BATMAN films have historically been released in June. And we know of the rumors about Dent and The Joker being in both 2 and 3. But as I said, the guy's a good source and doesn't blow smoke up you know where. I wonder if Warner Bros. would consider - if they did film them at the same time - a November/December release for 2, and then follow it up a year and a half later with a June release for 3? Nevermind - BATMAN's a summer tentpole.

Looks like the rumor of the Batman sequels filming back to back have returned.

Willco

Hollywood Square
More sequel news!

BOF said:
Nolan status update
Author: Jett Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:40 AM CENTRAL TIME: "Treatment Insider" is back with some clarification for us. He tells BOF that:
- Nolan is committed to one more film, but would like to make 3 total as the story from 2 continues into 3.

- Nolan may flesh out the script on his own (if Goyer's other projects are too time consuming), or he may bring in another writer to work with him on it.

- Shooting back-to-back has been discussed, but no "OK" on that from Nolan. We should hear more one way or another once THE PRESTIGE is in the can.

DMczaf

http://www.empireonline.co.uk/interviews_and_events/interview.asp?IID=342

So what's the next step? There was some mention of The Joker at the end of the film- does that give you a lot of room to play with for the sequel?
Those elements at the end, certainly, are just there for the feeling of Batman Begins rather than an end specifically suggesting a sequel. On the other hand, it’s a very exciting sort of character and a very exciting sort of world that we’ve got to play in, and I have been talking to the studio about what we would do for a sequel. I wouldn’t do it as my next film, but I’m talking about doing it as a film after that.

Jeff Robinov at Warners was quoted as saying that you tell him what the sequel is going to be. Is that the case?
Well, he’s very polite to put it that way! I have marched into his office and I have told him what David Goyer and I think the story is, and they seem to like it a lot. I think the success of Batman Begins, in my terms, in it being a film that I wanted it to be, is very much due to a collaboration with the studio. It wasn’t really one or the other telling the other what it should be, so I think he’s poking fun!

Okay, I saw BB opening night in Vancouver on IMAX, and I swear, after watching the DVD last night (normal edition, not special/deluxe) some scenes have been cut shorter. Off the top of my head, Bruce's parents getting shot, the interrogation of that fat cop, and at least 1 or 2 other scenes.

Am I imagining things or what?

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Mike Works said:
Okay, I saw BB opening night in Vancouver on IMAX, and I swear, after watching the DVD last night (normal edition, not special/deluxe) some scenes have been cut shorter. Off the top of my head, Bruce's parents getting shot, the interrogation of that fat cop, and at least 1 or 2 other scenes.

Am I imagining things or what?

The IMDb doesn't list any alternate versions, and I can't say I recall any differences from the two times I watched it in the theater and, later, the two times at home on DVD. There were a lot of (most likely intentional) disorienting, quick shots in the film. His parents' murder was a real in-the-moment, quick scene.

I swear watching the IMAX version the parents death scene was longer. In the DVD version Bruce's dad gives Cool the wallet, cool looks over at Bruce's mother's pearls, goes to grab them, Bruce's dad leaps in front to stop him, then he gets shot, then his wife gets shot. It all happens within 5 - 10 seconds, and I just remember there being dialogue or something when Cool asks for the pearls in the IMAX version.

I'm not certain though, that's why I'm asking.

Also when you first meet Lucious Fox in the movie, I thought I'd remembered that scene being longer too. Watching it on DVD, I dunno, his introduction just seemed more abrupt.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Nope. I've seen the theatrical cut about four times in the theatre, and the DVD twice so far. There's nothing different. You're going crazy, dude.

Shinobi

Yeah, I can't say I noticed anything different...I saw it at the theatre three times, and I reckon I would've remembered if there were any changes. And even the smallest of changes on the DVD version would've been noted.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Rough Batman Begins DVD numbers are in.

Slightly under 4 million copies were sold during its first week. Another $11.36 million was scored in rentals.

Dan said:

Slightly under 4 million copies were sold during its first week. Another $11.36 million was scored in rentals.

Kickass!! I was at Blockbuster today, and they had entire section just for Batman Begins and every freakin' copy was rented out!! It was like over 30 copies!!.

jett

D-Member
Dan said:

Is that number good or bad?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
jett said:
Is that number good or bad?
Well, it's apparently enough to make Batman Begins the highest selling DVD of the fourth quarter so far, according to Hollywood Reporter at least. It also sold more than the other top 20 for the week, combined.

For some perspective, it sold more than Cinderella did in its first week (3.5m) and less than The Incredibles (~5m in one day). Spider-Man 2 did 8 million in DVD and VHS sales combined in its first week, although that was released during the official holiday season.

Suffice to say, it should be on the high end of the list for top selling DVDs of the year.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Batman Begins Repeats First Place
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
November 2, 2005

The Hollywood Reporter says that three new releases couldn't bump Batman Begins from the top spot of the preliminary national DVD sales chart for the week ending October 30.

"Herbie: Fully Loaded," "House of Wax" and "Bewitched" finished second, third and fourth respectively on VideoScan's First Alert Chart.

"Herbie" did make a strong play, however, selling about 95% as many units as "Batman Begins."

On trade publication Home Media Retailing's video rental chart for the week ending October 30, "Bewitched" bowed at No. 1, while "Batman Begins" slipped to No. 2. "House of Wax" debuted at No. 3, while "Herbie: Fully Loaded" entered the chart at No. 5, right behind "Kingdom of Heaven," which is still showing strong legs nearly three weeks after its release.

"Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith" will take over both the sales and rental charts this week.
:)

http://www.superherohype.com/news/batmannews.php?id=3598

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom