• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL Batman Begins Discussion Topic - TV Spots, Reviews, RT Watch, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
got my 2 disc Deluxe Edition in the mail today! So far i've watched only the 2nd disc. There's some good stuff on it, but it is a pain in the hbk to navigate.

DMczaf

Ninja Scooter said:
but it is a pain in the hbk to navigate.

35.jpg

Willco said:
Well, the verdict is in. The best film of 2005 in June is still the best film of 2005!

Yeah pretty much. I just can't get over how amazing this film was. The only time I've paid to see a film 3 times in theaters my entire life.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
call my dad to pick up for me, can't fucking wait saw it in theaters 4 times and that will not stop me for a 5th time :D

btw Bob Hoskins for Penguin dammit!
bob_hoskins.jpg

Willco

Hollywood Square
Pengiuin will be a tough character to cast. Looks like they're going for the The Animated Series version of the character, making him the high class, debonaire underground smuggler.

Batman Begins is such an example of fine filmmaking it's ridiculous. Everyone needs to take notes.

Shinobi

Finished watching it about an hour ago, and I still love it. Gonna explore the second disc throughout the week.

I was lucky to get it though, at least for the price that I did ($22 Canadian). Best Buy and Walmart were selling it for 22 bucks, and both stores were completely wiped of the deluxe version (with a free poster being included with the purchase, Best Buy had sold out of theirs before noon). Other stores at the mall had 'em, but the cheapest price I saw it for was like 27. I phoned up Future Shop cause I knew they were selling it for 22, and got someone to hold a copy for me since they were selling fast there. Good thing too...they were all sold out by the time I got there. Hopefully it's indictive of strong sales throughout North America.

Tabris

I just want to say Paul Bettany (sp?) would make an excellent Joker with a little bit more crazy thrown into his act.

Watch him in Gangster No.1

Error

Saw it yesterday for the 5th time, the movie still amaze me fucking awesome will tackle the extras later this week too many things to do.

Mihail

Banned
I saw it last night for the first time. I held off from seeing it in theaters because I was afraid I'd be disappointed. After all, the buzz around it seemed to dissipate quickly. So I went in with low expectations.

Oh, man, it's so good. It's easily my favorite super hero movie, and probably my favorite film of the year. It's really well made, with a minimal level of corniness. They really captured what I believe Batman is about, and made all the previous movies, including the Burton ones, obsolete.

He shouldn't have
revealed his identity to Tom Cruise's baby momma though.. :/

Willco

Hollywood Square
I went to Best Buy last night so my friend could go pick it up and - goddamn! - that DVD has flown off the shelves. No Deluxe in sight and they only had a small amount of the regular DVD left. Anthology was wiped clean, as were the individual Bat flicks from the Burton/Schumacher era.

We went over to Target and the same thing. Front end cap was completely blown, save for a few copies of the '89 Batman and only a row of vanilla Begins existed in the back.

Impressive. Warner Bros. must be happy.

J2 Cool

Yeah, kinda sucks about the 1 disc/2 disc thing though. It's an automatic +$8 when they make 2 versions instead of one 2 disc. Ah well, going to pick mine up today. Hopefully it's not that wiped out over here. Tuesday's packed to the brim with school so no choice.

Oh, and anybody check the differences between stores? Heard Best Buy and Circuit City are both 22.99, with their own special extras. CC gives out a free lithograph in a limit of 50 copies per store. Best Buy meanwhile has an alternate dvd cover art you can order I think and supposedly something for 2 free coke items instantly.

Error

I went to walmart yesterday, last copy of the Deluxe Version was the one I picked up selling like hot cakes.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Anyone else not really liking how the 'extras' menu is setup? It's a neat idea and all, but should I wish to go back and watch a particular part I have to wade through this virtual comic book instead of just picking it from a list. This is just a nitpicky thing, the rest of the DVD and, of course, the movie itself is wonderful. Well, apart from the whole "it's not what I wear, but what I DOOOOO that matters" (not verbatim, I'm sure) line. :D

suaveric

tedtropy said:
Anyone else not really liking how the 'extras' menu is setup? It's a neat idea and all, but should I wish to go back and watch a particular part I have to wade through this virtual comic book instead of just picking it from a list. This is just a nitpicky thing, the rest of the DVD and, of course, the movie itself is wonderful. Well, apart from the whole "it's not what I wear, but what I DOOOOO that matters" (not verbatim, I'm sure) line. :D

If you go all the way to the end of the menu on that disk, you'll see an image that looks like a piece of paper. Click on that and you'll get a text listing of all the features on the disk. Much easier to watch it that way.

tedtropy

suaveric said:
If you go all the way to the end of the menu on that disk, you'll see an image that looks like a piece of paper. Click on that and you'll get a text listing of all the features on the disk. Much easier to watch it that way.

Phew, good. Thanks.

Shinobi

J2 Cool said:
Oh, and anybody check the differences between stores? Heard Best Buy and Circuit City are both 22.99, with their own special extras. CC gives out a free lithograph in a limit of 50 copies per store. Best Buy meanwhile has an alternate dvd cover art you can order I think and supposedly something for 2 free coke items instantly.

Future Shop had the same limited edition cover that Best Buy did, since BB owns the FS chain. Looks very cool.

Alcibiades

Willco said:
I went to Best Buy last night so my friend could go pick it up and - goddamn! - that DVD has flown off the shelves. No Deluxe in sight and they only had a small amount of the regular DVD left. Anthology was wiped clean, as were the individual Bat flicks from the Burton/Schumacher era.

We went over to Target and the same thing. Front end cap was completely blown, save for a few copies of the '89 Batman and only a row of vanilla Begins existed in the back.

Impressive. Warner Bros. must be happy.
Did you ask if they had left? I've worked at Best Buy before and sometimes we don't put out all product out at once... maybe I just have a hard time believing $60 box sets were sold out in such numbers

J2 Cool

Error2k4 said:
I went to walmart yesterday, last copy of the Deluxe Version was the one I picked up selling like hot cakes.

So you're the son of a bitch. I just picked mine up. Target was wiped out, but full of shitty single disc versions. So I went to Best Buy and luckily my Best Buy is an awesome one. There was a massive rack of Batman Begins versions, and in another section of the store, there was a good ammount of versions. Thank goodness for them. 22.99 kinda sucks though. Amazon users definitely won out here. Picked up Batman '89 for the documentaries and better transfer and Batman Begins deluxe.

Only thing that pissed me off was when I went to pay. Those 2 came to a total of $44.36. So I brought these dollar coins and quarters with me. 3 bucks in coins. And I went to the comic book shop earlier to grab Justice #2. So I had exactly 2 bucks change from there, $2.50 left on the coins, and 3 $20's in my wallet. So grab 2 $20's and the $4.50! Get 14 cents change and keep the other $20 in my wallet. Then I realize I gave the fucker at the comic shop a dollar coin when I meant to give him 2 quarters! Wtf!? So I had to give 3 twenties. Such bullshit. :mad: 75 cents never made me so upset. The concerns of the pretty much jobless.. *sigh*

Willco

Hollywood Square
Alcibiades said:
Did you ask if they had left? I've worked at Best Buy before and sometimes we don't put out all product out at once... maybe I just have a hard time believing $60 box sets were sold out in such numbers

Completely gone. It was in Burbank, so it doesn't surprise me all that much. Place is a zoo on Tuesday.

Alcibiades

I'll mention the incredible deal I got here too, hopefully other people will take advantage:

basically the Box set is $52 & the SE Batman Begins is $16, going for the same price as the regular edition.

In addition, if you buy Batman Begins + Year One, you get $3 off, and since all of this is over a certain amount of money there is no shipping charge.

free shipping + lowest prices + no tax is pretty awesome... I wish I'd taken more advantage of amazon.com in the past, but I'm always tempted by the store exclusives retailers get on release date, and it's also just convenient when I make impusle decisions....

Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping
Shipping Preference: Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $81.55
Shipping & Handling: $5.97
Promotional Certificates: - $8.97
------
Total for this Order: $78.55

Shipping estimate for these items: October 31, 2005 - November 1, 2005
Delivery estimate: November 12, 2005 - November 14, 2005
1 "Batman: Year One Deluxe Edition"
Frank Miller; Hardcover; $13.59

Shipping estimate for these items: October 23, 2005
Delivery estimate: October 27, 2005
1 "Batman Begins (Two-Disc Deluxe Edition)"
Christopher Nolan; DVD; $15.98

1 "Batman - The Motion Picture Anthology 1989-1997 (Batman / Batman Returns / Batman Forever / Batman & Robin) (Two-Disc Special Edition)"
Michael Keaton; DVD; $51.98

Alcibiades

I was only going to buy Batman and Batman Returns, but then I figured it would be cool to own the others just for the sake of having them and maybe seeing what the filmakers think now.

Basically, I figured it would cost me almost $40 for both films when tax is accounted for, so I said what the heck and got the full anthology probably $13-$14 more.

yeah maybe you should wait till around Christmas to decide, maybe a retailer will have a nice sale on it.

Saw it for the first time today and holy moly! All I can say is AMAZING! Friggin AMAZING film in all aspects of entertainment. It surpassed the hype and I regret not seein it in the theatre.

jett

D-Member
I feel sorry for you poor bastards that skipped it while it was in theaters. Hell, I regret not seeing it more times(saw it twice). :p

Willco

Hollywood Square
Schmo Florez said:
Saw it for the first time today and holy moly! All I can say is AMAZING! Friggin AMAZING film in all aspects of entertainment. It surpassed the hype and I regret not seein it in the theatre.

I am thinking there are a lot of people who passed on it in a theaters as "... just another Batman flick" and we'll see a lot more responses like this.

Duderz

Banned
Oh please oh please Paul Bettany as Joker...

Extremely excited for this film, but spring 2007 seems a little late, don't you think? That put it well into 2008, which is just too far away... :(

Error

Schmo Florez said:
this is why I think BB sequel will be HUGE.

Willco said:
I don't know if I'd want to buy the Anthology, though. Maybe if I have some extra cash around Christmas.

Anthology is great just for the fact of Batman & Robin's special features where they pretty much apologize for making the movie as shitty as it was. :lol

tedtropy

VisionaryQuest0 said:
Anthology is great just for the fact of Batman & Robin's special features where they pretty much apologize for making the movie as shitty as it was. :lol

mr_freeze_si_diverte.jpg

SHAT UP, ELSE I FREEZE JOO HAHAHA HA

Willco

Hollywood Square
VisionaryQuest0 said:

I am tempted to hear this.

damnit...I went to Target, Wal-Mart, and a Hollywood Video near work, and all were sold out of the Deluxe/Special Edition. I can't think of the last time I couldnt find a new DVD release.

Willco said:
I am tempted to hear this.
Seriously, the entire retrospective feature is Schumacher et al apologizing/making excuses for the movie.

Watched all five films yesterday. REALLY makes you appreciate Begins all the more if you watch it after B&R. And I recommend everyone at least pick up Batman '89 SE, if only for the excellent special features.

Akia

I watched it for the first time yesterday. The movie is amazing. Like 10/10 amazing. I loved the ending, me and my friends were going crazy when we saw the card.

See the next one on DAY ONE, and I usually wait for DVDs but the next film will break the rule.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Akia said:
I watched it for the first time yesterday. The movie is amazing. Like 10/10 amazing. I loved the ending, me and my friends were going crazy when we saw the card.

See the next one on DAY ONE, and I usually wait for DVDs but the next film will break the rule.

WHERE WERE YOU PEOPLE LAST JUNE?

GodMike

Banned
Willco said:
WHERE WERE YOU PEOPLE LAST JUNE?

Yes. The movie would have done even better BO if you tools would have seen it when it opened instead of waiting for the DVD. Then we could have sent the message home even harder that this is the Batman we know and love.

Cheebs

We are getting a sequel so the BO intake for BB matters not at this point. Batman 2 will have well known villians and won't be pure bruce wayne the first hour to scare away the impatient fools. It will EASILY make more than Batman Begins so at this point worrying about this franchise's future is not needed.

Alcibiades

I went to the post office Wed. afternoon and my order had already arrived. That was pretty amazing considering it was free shipping.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Nolan talks Batman over at Boxofficemojo.com and it's a really great interview. READ IT HERE, BITCHES!

Two things stick out:

"I can't talk about it. These are very early days. I'm going to do THE PRESTIGE first—about a couple of magicians who become involved in sabotaging each other acts, set in turn of the century London—and then we'll be looking at doing a BATMAN picture."

"Batman is positive, but I believe that, in the first couple of years, he's going to find an increasingly negative response from society, because the truth is that, when you have a powerful, negative city like Gotham, it didn't become corrupt by accident, and those entrenched people are going to respond very vigorously."

BOM: Is it too long at two hours and 17 minutes?

The last question angered me and made me want to punch the interviewer in the mouth.

Willco said:
Nolan talks Batman over at Boxofficemojo.com and it's a really great interview. READ IT HERE, BITCHES!

Two things stick out:

The last question angered me and made me want to punch the interviewer in the mouth.

He asked is it too long?!! Son of a bitch!! I expect all of Nolan's Batman movies to pass 2 hours, it's goodness can't be contained at anything less!! Damn impatient ADD ridden movie goers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom