• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

PkunkFury

Lapsed said:
Question for everyone: would you be willing to pay a subscription fee per month to be able to access the entire Virtual Console library and play to your heart's content (though you wouldn't be able to 'keep' the games when your subscription runs out)?

I recall the early Virtual Console surveys asking questions like that. But now that you are used to the VC, would you want a subscription model?

I would definitely subscribe. i usually play these games to completion and never touch them again, so I could care less about "owning" them if it meant I'd have the opportunity to try each one. I kept up with the VC for a good 2 months after launch, but now there's just too many games on there I'm not familiar with, and I don't have the cash to buy them all

Lapsed

Banned
Remember this survey?

Interesting how there is an option to 'buy' or 'rent'. Perhaps this is for the future?

first-glimpse-revolutions-virtual-console--20060111050312723-000.jpg

Can't wait for Mystical Ninja and ZAMN... Funny, my friend was excited that he finally got the cart version of ZAMN once again, after like a month of searching.

Dimmuxx said:
OoT probably :(

That's not a reason for sad smileys! :) Much as I'd love to see N64 games like Wave Race or Pilotwings on there, being able to play OoT, Zelda, Zelda II & (soon please, NoE!) LttP on one system without having to bugger about with bonus discs is going to be ****ing ace :D

ksamedi

Lylat Wars is such a stupid name, but on the other hand its the best Starfox game ever made. Nice voice acting as well, instant download for me if true.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Yeah, Starfox 64 is a must. Still saddened that Nintendo/contracted 3rd parties haven't matched this game yet in the sequels.

You know what, while Starfox 64 was good and all, I was ultimately disappointed with the game. The one Independence Day-inspired level was off the charts cool, but other than that I HATE the new theme, the music in general - I was VERY disappointed about that. I also was shocked at the muddy textures, especially those in outer space. It was a very underwhelming experience for me. That's why I'm dying for the original Starfox to be released - my SNES is busted and most of my games went to young relatives.

JavyOO7

Lapsed said:
Question for everyone: would you be willing to pay a subscription fee per month to be able to access the entire Virtual Console library and play to your heart's content (though you wouldn't be able to 'keep' the games when your subscription runs out)?

I recall the early Virtual Console surveys asking questions like that. But now that you are used to the VC, would you want a subscription model?

I'd actually have no problem paying a subscription fee if it meant all VC multi-player games came with netplay.

I am a broken record. It's a request I have been dying for ever since the VC came to start. There are some excellent multiplayer titles on the VC now... Bomberman '93, Mario Kart 64, Streets of Rage, Street Fighter, Dungeon Explorer and etc.

I would kill for 4 player GP on MK64 online. But I guess a business model like that would render some Wii games useless I guess? I dunno. Just something I'm legitimately disappointed with when it comes to the VC.

maxmars

JavyOO7 said:
I'd actually have no problem paying a subscription fee if it meant all VC multi-player games came with netplay.

If

* VC games came with netplay
* You could save games on SD cards
* You didn't need one channel per game, but had one channel acting as a hub for all games
* Games came out a bit quicker

then the Wii would be worth its price alone for the VC.

They seriously need to set up a way to demo these games. Even if they just let you play it for a minute, that's better than nothing.

I guess they want to avoid that though, becuase after a minute in games like Urban Champion, you've seen all there is to see.

maxmars said:
If

* You didn't need one channel per game, but had one channel acting as a hub for all games

Thats already possible...
Thats one out of four.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I bought Kid Icarus. I made it to level 3. It's really goddamn hard! The music is really good though.

I'm finished!

Muppet345

maxmars said:
If

Yeah, and Nintendo can give away a unicorn with every purchase.

Suerte said:
I'd give my right nut for Beetle Adventure Racing to be the unidentified N64 game on Friday.

I'd give my entire, 9 years in the making collection of Internet pron for Top Gear Rally on the VC.

Kevar said:

A unicorn he says! :lol

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Nintendo really needs to get on the ball with some of the memory/channel space problems for the VC titles. After you fill up your channels, you have to delete games or move them to the SD card (or better, let games be able to run from the SD card). I don't see why they wouldn't fix this... doesn't Nintendo want people buying more games?

maxmars

Bartman3010 said:
Thats already possible...
Thats one out of four.

You know what I mean. Save + be able to play. Doh!

xsarien said:
Because that approach is working out so well for Microsoft and XBLA.

Well, at least we'd be using the WC24 for games!

Kevar said:

That'd make my daughter SO happy. Even a pink, winged mini-pony would suffice.

Almost missed the thread thanks to the title change, for a moment thought we had retired the old and someone started a new.... then I saw page 117. :lol

Hmm odd for Nintendo to be able to keep the releases a secret for this long, or is it usually later in the day they show up in PAL land? I dunno, its nearly 6am here in NZ. :D

maxmars

Conrad Link said:
Almost missed the thread thanks to the title change, for a moment thought we had retired the old and someone started a new.... then I saw page 117. :lol

Hmm odd for Nintendo to be able to keep the releases a secret for this long, or is it usually later in the day they show up in PAL land? I dunno, its nearly 6am here in NZ. :D

They come out at midnight CET.

Jiggy

Lapsed said:

Hmm... On the one hand, I have to admit that most of the beauty of the VC, to me, is being able to randomly play anything for anywhere from 10-60 minutes without having to go through the hassle of switching cartridges in and out and so on--basically serving as the "jukebox" of gaming--and that wouldn't be lost via a subscription model.
But I'm still inclined to say no, on the basis that there are a finite number of potential games to release for VC. At some point like, say, in 2014, halfway into the lifespan of Wii2, when hypothetically the full library of VC games that I'd care about will have been almost if not entirely exhausted, I wouldn't want to continue paying indefinitely and be getting nothing new.

Edit: Just to clarify, since I brought up subscriptions in the first place, all the above is based on the thought that I couldn't keep the games. If it was possible to both have a subscription and actually buy some of them, that would probably be the preferable model, to me. I'd likely end up buying only games with either length or longevity--the Super Star Soldiers and the LttPs--and just playing through the rest, like the Ristars or Bonks.

Kreven

Sega just announced four new games for the VC

SAN FRANCISCO (February 22, 2007) – SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced four titles from the SEGA Genesis™ library, Sword of Vermilion, Vectorman, Sonic Spinball, and Beyond Oasis will soon be available for download on the Wii™ Shop Channel. Prices start at 800 Wii™ Points for SEGA Genesis titles. Wii Points can be purchased online or at select retailers at an MSRP of $20 for 2,000 points.

“The Wii Shop Channel is a great avenue for gamers who want instant access to classic SEGA Genesis titles,” said Scott A. Steinberg, Vice President of Marketing, SEGA of America. “Legendary titles such as Sword of Vermilion, Vectorman, Sonic Spinball and Beyond Oasis are a perfect fit for this platform.”

[...]

No release dates associated with the titles yet.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Kreven said:
Sega just announced four new games for the VC

No release dates associated with the titles yet.

BEYOND OASIS!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it looks like the first traditional RPG for the system will be Sword of Vermillion.

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is a videogame, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous of this vehicular green tank of awesome. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose so let me simply add that it’s my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V for Vectorman.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Just confirmed it: it's Ocarina of Time.

So, that makes it:

- Kid Icarus (NES)
- Chew Man Fu (Turbografx)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)

Glass Joe

Although I admit I'm a bit nostalgic/retro, I *almost* feel that the Wii is worth it for the Virtual Console alone. Some people are complaining about the release schedule and want more games out at a faster rate, but I'm really enjoying the way Nintendo has it structured so far. As a USA'er, every Monday feels like an event... And every truly classic game gets a chance to shine again. I couldn't really say that if all of the games were available at the start.

Of course, I do feel there is room for improvement. I'd love to see some Master System games, Neo Geo titles, Saturn (if even possible), more N64, more 3rd parties involved in general, netplay, and especially Arcade entries. But as it currently stands, I'm still really enjoying the VC and it's nice to see some old games gathering interest again.

The VC also, in my eyes, seems to be a strong business model as well. I'm anxiously awaiting Excitebike because I know it's coming soon. Kid Icarus being released seemed like sort of a big deal. If everything was already there, I would almost definitely overlook most games.

D3RANG3D

djtiesto said:
Nintendo really needs to get on the ball with some of the memory/channel space problems for the VC titles. After you fill up your channels, you have to delete games or move them to the SD card (or better, let games be able to run from the SD card). I don't see why they wouldn't fix this... doesn't Nintendo want people buying more games?

I have run into this problem already :(

Top Bottom