• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'll dare say that I like the Turbo Ys I and II best out of any of the editions (but I haven't played the Saturn or the X68000 editions yet). Probably because they have the best music out of any of the versions... though Ys I and II Eternal are great as well. Was expecting a big week, was hoping for Clu Clu Land, Ys I and II, and SamSho2. Though I am curious about the SMS Sonic.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Teknoman said:
Seriously though, im sure Nintendo will blitz people with VC titles in the fall. It would only make sense to do so with the lack of first party stuff.

Meh, what a horrible strategy that would be. Release all the 'most wanted' titles within a three month span. If they spread out the releases, one AAA title (or a couple) per month, I'd buy them as they come. But if their plan is to release a bunch of great games all at once, I won't be able to afford it.

P.S. I have no hope that Nintendo will start releasing the big name titles in mass this fall.

EvilMario said:
Meh, what a horrible strategy that would be. Release all the 'most wanted' titles within a three month span. If they spread out the releases, one AAA title (or a couple) per month, I'd buy them as they come. But if their plan is to release a bunch of great games all at once, I won't be able to afford it.

P.S. I have no hope that Nintendo will start releasing the big name titles in mass this fall.

Pocky & Rocky :(

Good additions. The VC is getting bigger and bigger, and I like being able to peruse through a diverse library and being able to download them at a whim.

For WiiWare, the Wild West shooter looks like fun. If someone posts favorable impressions, I'll buy it.

vcfootball.png

The fact that Sonic for Master System and Splatterhouse II are actually decent additions to the library doesn't excuse the fact that Nintendo had not one, not two, but three publishers convinced that their games were set in stone for release today and then totally made them look like lying jackasses. Not content with simply messing with consumers' expectations, they have now turned their attention to making sure developers also get frustrated with Virtual Console.

Shoulda put "consumers" with "game developers". Also, having Lucy grin evilly.

Dude you need to go and bitch for us. Find out why the hell NOA is ignoring their own goddamned partners?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
TheGrayGhost said:
Good additions. The VC is getting bigger and bigger, and I like being able to peruse through a diverse library and being able to download them at a whim.

For WiiWare, the Wild West shooter looks like fun. If someone posts favorable impressions, I'll buy it.
Tell your Nintendo bosses to stop screwing around with gamers and developers on this. We want to give them our money, but this is ridiculous.

Kobun Heat said:
vcfootball.png

The fact that Sonic for Master System and Splatterhouse II are actually decent additions to the library doesn't excuse the fact that Nintendo had not one, not two, but three publishers convinced that their games were set in stone for release today and then totally made them look like lying jackasses. Not content with simply messing with consumers' expectations, they have now turned their attention to making sure developers also get frustrated with Virtual Console.

Kobun --

Can you offer any insight as to what the hell is going on with NoA, or are you just as much in the dark as we are? They seem to be spectacularly fucking up the service while Japan and Europe power on with decent release schedules.

HUELEN10

Cosmonaut X said:
Kobun --

Can you offer any insight as to what the hell is going on with NoA, or are you just as much in the dark as we are? They seem to be spectacularly fucking up the service while Japan and Europe power on with decent release schedules.
It need not be said, but fucking up the service is definitely intentional. please help get to the bottom of this!

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Wow. This week isn't just a spit in the face to the fans; this is a spit in the face to the publishers who promised us certain games today.

Actually, the first Master System Sonic game isn't bad at all; certainly not the abomination that is Sonic 2 Master System. But that doesn't excuse this bait-and-switch.

Way to spread the spite around, Nintendo.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
I'm not up to date VC news, so does any one know when we might possibly get Majora's Mask? I never got to buy it during the N64 days and would really like to play it.

The Lamonster said:
Mega Man 1-6
Yoshi's Island
Castlevania III
Super Mario RPG
Goldeneye
Majora's Mask
Maximum Carnage
etc
etc
etc

FUCK the Virtual Console

also: I already paid for all these games anyway and N can't even give me the chance to pay for them again? At least there's emulators and roms. But seriously how can you fuck up so bad with one of your most promising services?

I'm so pissed Japan has it and it's not offered to the US. I love this game.

Gig said:
I'm not up to date VC news, so does any one know when we might possibly get Majora's Mask? I never got to buy it during the N64 days and would really like to play it.

As N64 releases have slowed to a crawl - I think it's been around 2-3 months since the last release, which is the longest gap since launch of the system - I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

AniHawk

Y'see, when you say "Splatterhouse 2" is coming out on Monday or "Sonic the Hedgehog for the SMS" will come out the same day, nobody panics, because it's all part of the plan. But if you say one, little ol' Ys game is on its way... well then everyone loses their minds!

Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes... chaos.

Kagari's an agent of chaos.

Oh, and the thing about chaos? It's fear.

Kobun Heat said:
vcfootball.png

I know you tried in your interview with...that lady from E3 whose name escapes me, but please try again, find out why they're essentially sabotaging Virtual Console in North America.

That is what they're doing. Maybe interviewing some third parties and find out if they're frustrated with how Nintendo is screwing with them on VC releases. If Japan is indeed pulling the strings, why does Europe get a stream of quality stuff while we don't? Why can't we know what we're getting ahead of time? Why can't we trust the PR? Why are they jerking around developers as well? Where's Mother 1 and 3 (ha ha, I know), localised, unreleased games that would be perfect releases for Virtual Console? Why is it so hard for them to come up with a storage solution? A firmware update could have VC games running off of an SD Card, haven't pirates and/or modders already done this? Do they hate our money? When they tell me to clean out the fridge, that's the only conclusion I can draw. How can they have a digital distribution channel and virtually no storage? How can they be so reticent about coming up with a storage solution?

I hate Nintendo of America because I already can imagine the PR bullshit that will be shoveled our way.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
Y'see, when you say "Splatterhouse 2" is coming out on Monday or "Sonic the Hedgehog for the SMS" will come out the same day, nobody panics, because it's all part of the plan. But if you say one, little ol' Ys game is on its way... well then everyone loses their minds!

Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order, and everything becomes... chaos.

Kagari's an agent of chaos.

Oh, and the thing about chaos? It's fear.

insert joker clapping gif.

Cosmonaut X said:
As N64 releases have slowed to a crawl - I think it's been around 2-3 months since the last release, which is the longest gap since launch of the system - I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Pokemon Puzzle League was released just over a month ago.

Jonnyboy117 said:
Pokemon Puzzle League was released just over a month ago.

According to Wikipedia the last N64 releases in all 3 major regions were:

Japan - Hoshi no Kirby 64 (April 15 2008)
US - Pokémon Puzzle League (May 5 2008)
Europe - Pokémon Puzzle League (May 30 2008)

If they are accurate, that means it's been approx. 4 months, 3 months and 2 months respectively since each region last had an N64 title. Prior to that I think the longest gap was 1-2 months between N64 releases.

Of course, if Wikipedia is incorrect - highly possible - then that does change things a little!

HUELEN10

Cosmonaut X said:
According to Wikipedia the last N64 releases in all 3 major regions were:

Japan - Hoshi no Kirby 64 (April 15 2008)
US - Pokémon Puzzle League (May 5 2008)
Europe - Pokémon Puzzle League (May 30 2008)

If they are accurate, that means it's been approx. 4 months, 3 months and 2 months respectively since each region last had an N64 title. Prior to that I think the longest gap was 1-2 months between N64 releases.

Of course, if Wikipedia is incorrect - highly possible - then that does change things a little!
As far as I know, Wiki is dead on when it comes to this.

To be fair, Nintendo 64 is different than other Virtual Console platforms because it's not like dropping the ROM into an emulator. They do have to go back and rework each game individually. At this point I'd expect N64 to be just a handful of titles each year.

HUELEN10

Kobun Heat said:
To be fair, Nintendo 64 is different than other Virtual Console platforms because it's not like dropping the ROM into an emulator.
Those horrible people installing Smash Bros and Goldeneye on their Wii's as VC channels say differently. I get what you are saying, but it really shouldn't be a problem to have so few releases. At least, I don't see why it would be for a company like Ninty.

Kobun Heat said:
To be fair, Nintendo 64 is different than other Virtual Console platforms because it's not like dropping the ROM into an emulator. They do have to go back and rework each game individually. At this point I'd expect N64 to be just a handful of titles each year.

Oh, I understand that, but it has been a wee while since the last N64 release, and when it coincides with the launch of WiiWare and the increasing pressure for a storage solution, you do wonder whether it might be that N64 releases are being held back temporarily.

Seriously I guess I'll step it up by um...
Oh I got it!
I'm buying Warioland Shake it USED...for $14.99.

Gotta do my part even if it won't amount to much.

HUELEN10

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Seriously I guess I'll step it up by um...
Oh I got it!
I'm buying Warioland Shake it USED...for $14.99.

Gotta do my part even if it won't amount to much.
Please don't do that. You will only be hurting Good-Feel, not Nintendo. They don't deserve to be treated like shit.

HUELEN10 said:
Please don't do that. You will only be hurting Good-Feel, not Nintendo. They don't deserve to be treated like shit.

Dammit...Hmm

Alright how about this! I won't buy Mario Baseball....oh wait I wasn't going to buy that anyway. The rest of my Wii purchases for this year(Milestone Collection, Samba De Amigo, Some other game) are third-party as well...shucks.

*shakes fist*

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Dammit...Hmm

Alright how about this! I won't buy Mario Baseball....oh wait I wasn't going to buy that anyway. The rest of my Wii purchases for this year(Milestone Collection, Samba De Amigo, Some other game) are third-party as well...shucks.

*shakes fist*

If you could find a way to make the point to NoA, that would be ideal, as it appears that they're the ones pissing on your chips.

(...and on that note, shouldn't the title read "The Horrible Un-Awesome VC Discussion of "It's confirmed, NoA hates us all"?)

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Kobun Heat said:

Out of curiosity, what makes N64 games different than other VC games to emulate, especially since Nintendo isn't even willing to go the extra mile to enable Rumble or Controller Pak support?

Cosmonaut X said:
If you could find a way to make the point to NoA, that would be ideal, as it appears that they're the ones pissing on your chips.

(...and on that note, shouldn't the title read "The Horrible Un-Awesome VC Discussion of "It's confirmed, NoA hates us all"?)

No it's fine the way it is because Nintendo are shitting on gamers the world over in more respects than just the VC. From the Wii's shitty hardware to the abandoning of core gamers and their crappy E3, as well as the abandoning of the DS and their lack of storage on Wii, this is just another kick in the balls of many from Nintendo, not just NOA.

Quite frankly, at this point in time I have to sit and wonder why some people still even have the slightest bit of faith in Nintendo at all.

Ranger X

Iam Canadian said:
Out of curiosity, what makes N64 games different than other VC games to emulate?

I don't think there's a difference really since every single game needs to be modified so it pops out the Home menu and displays in 480p.
Maybe it's more extensive to make so the games are in 24bit colors instead of 16bits.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Quite frankly, at this point in time I have to sit and wonder why some people still even have the slightest bit of faith in Nintendo at all.
They still boast awesome game development?
Nobody else in the industry is as capable as the big N with establishing a new franchise and capturing an immediate audience?

HUELEN10

EvilMario said:
This is the way the Virtual Console ends,
Not with a bang but a whimper.
It is not over until the fat lady sings!
Puffy to be exact.
NiGHTS, the first Saturn Game on VC, coming soon.....

Please?

I don't know who I hate more today. The idiots in Japan/NOA (whoever it really is) in charge of the VC release schedule or Sega for thinking people would be jumping to buy two games which already have respective versions on the service (I will again encourage people here to stick it to Sega and buy used copies of the Sonic Collections or the Genesis PSP comp). Seriously, we need the media to be hammering Reggie on this crap (but not Cammie, she'd probably just stare like a dopey puppy and then make a cutesey comment with her spazzy Joan Cusak'esque face), we need EGM and IGN editorials we need the same amount of noise on this as fridgegate!

Something has got to be sour between Nintendo and the third parties with all these high profile false release dates. I'd be really ticked off if I was a third party wanting to cash in and it took eons to get my game on due to Nintendo's miniscule release weeks and endless delays. It'd be so nice to have some real insider info on this whole mess for clarity.

The sheer level of incompetent managing of this service week after week is rediculous. Oh well, Nintendo. Looks like my money will be going to Geometry Wars 2 instead of you this week. Idiots.

Gabyskra

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
It is not over until the fat lady sings!
Puffy to be exact.
NiGHTS, the first Saturn Game on VC, coming soon.....

Please?

Impossible.

Saturn emulation is really hard... but more importantly, the games are way too big.

Just forget about it.

JSnake said:
Holy shit, that's hilarious. :lol :lol :lol I mean what are the odds of three companies getting their games for the week wrong? Practically zero. Nintendo's obviously screwing them over.

Just...

:lol

kekekekee90.jpg

hahaha! Yah, this week is so funny. Almost funny as some 15 year old kid who used to post early release dates (when he wasn't in the process of being grounded by his mom) But then, when due to extreme incompetence, loses his source and then decides the best way to express his frustration at said incompetence is by imploding and lying about SMRPG being released in america just to honk everyone off for laughs. lolz! Seriously, the last word to the mods of course but I don't think you're overly welcome here anymore. Just saying is all.

JSnake

I just emailed my Nintendo rep at Golin Harris about this whole blueballing Hudson and co. He's waiting for a reply from Nintendo. Will update when I have more info.

edit: are people still butthurt about that SMRPG thing? really? calm down, seriously.

HUELEN10

Gabyskra said:
Impossible.

Saturn emulation is really hard... but more importantly, the games are way too big.

Just forget about it.
Wii HDD?

JSnake said:
I just emailed my Nintendo rep at Golin Harris about this whole blueballing Hudson and co. He's waiting for a reply from Nintendo. Will update when I have more info.

edit: are people still butthurt about that SMRPG thing? really? calm down, seriously.
It was an immense amount of salt in quite the number of wounds....
You have to understand that. Still, water under the bridge.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Agent Unknown said:
Something has got to be sour between Nintendo and the third parties with all these high profile false release dates. I'd be really ticked off if I was a third party wanting to cash in and it took eons to get my game on due to Nintendo's miniscule release weeks and endless delays.
You're talking about VC? You really think any of the third-parties care about it as much as you do?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
jooey said:
You're talking about VC? You really think any of the third-parties care about it as much as you do?

Hudson certainly does. They're a tiny division of another company and they derive massive gobs of cash from VC, to the point that they've repeatedly yelled to the rooftops that they're so happy about VC; plus, they've got a half-dozen WiiWare products out or in development.

errr I mean LOL NERDS U MAD DOGGY

JSnake said:

Will wait with a mighty grain of salt. "That SMRPG thing." Cute.

Joelstaredown2.jpg

Top Bottom