• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Firestorm said:
I cannot believe those motherfuckers got my hopes up with the picture of the lock-on just to say that "Hey guys S&K was rated but remember that lockon thing? haha that was really cool wasn't it? but it probably won't happen on VC lol"

FUCK YOU JOYST1Q THIS IS WHY YOU'RE BANNED

Edit: and god it links to this page

It's not hard to combine them, actually... with the roms, it's actually possible to make a S3&K by taking a S3 rom and a S&K rom and adding the S&K rom onto the S3 rom wtih a rom-hacking program. Tack the S&K onto the end of the S3 and presto, there's S3&K.

So there is no technical reason why they couldn't do the same thing officially and put S3&K, or the others, onto the Virtual Console... though it would require a new download, so yeah, they would have to have multiple downloads available. One would hope that they would make it so that if you've gotten Sonic 3 and S&K you would be allowed to download S3&K (or S2&K for Sonic 2, or the infinite bonus game for Sonic 1) for free.

... Yeah, doubtful. My guess? "Yeah, remember how the lockon functions were free the first time? Forget it now! You'll pay separately (and more) for the combined version, of course."

Sega has control over this instead of Nintendo, I believe, so there is maybe a tiny shred of slight hope... because yes, if it was a Nintendo thing, there'd be no chance of seeing it anytime remotely near soon, just like NES/SNES add-on chip support or N64 controller/rumble pak support.

Neo Samus

Ok I have an honest question, I have 800 points and I can't deside between two games; Lords of Thunder and Ys Book I & II. I'm a fan of both Shooters and RPGs. I plan on owning both eventually but which one should I start with first?

Somebody's hating on Clu Clu Land?

That was one of the gems of the NES launch library. And it's still fun and insanely challenging by today's standards.

Also, it was the precursor to Picross.

Except it's just as addicting as Picross. Actually, probably even moreso, since there's more of a challenging gameplay element present, instead of just using your brain to figure out where to etch.

But it takes a while to get the hang of the controls, so a lot of people probably would get turned off by it. Too bad for them.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Neo Samus said:
Ok I have an honest question, I have 800 points and I can't deside between two games; Lords of Thunder and Ys Book I & II. I'm a fan of both Shooters and RPGs. I plan on owning both eventually but which one should I start with first?

As a fan of both shooters and RPGs, I would suggest Ys... granted I'm a hardcore fan of the series, but it's Ys Book I & II that made me so. Lords of Thunder is an excellent game, but... Ys is something else. Unmatched production values for the time, fantastic music, and there are parts in Ys II that almost play like a shmup (as you shoot your fire magic around), so you get the best of both worlds.

Jiggy37 said:
1, 2, and 3) Interplay-announced games: Boogerman, Clayfighter, and Earthworm Jim.

4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9) Games that have been ESRB-rated or OFLC-rated for months, or in some cases over a year: Dragon Slayer, Earthbound, Final Soldier, Kirby's Dream Land 3, Phantasy Star IV, and Shining Force II.

Didn't SoM just get a rating or was it just a rumor that it was coming to VC?

Neo Samus

djtiesto said:
As a fan of both shooters and RPGs, I would suggest Ys... granted I'm a hardcore fan of the series, but it's Ys Book I & II that made me so. Lords of Thunder is an excellent game, but... Ys is something else. Unmatched production values for the time, fantastic music, and there are parts in Ys II that almost play like a shmup (as you shoot your fire magic around), so you get the best of both worlds.

Awesome. I hate to admit this but I've never played any of the Ys games before but I have heard of Ys games ever since I was a kid. NOw to just figure out what clear out of my fridge.......man I really need that storage solution.

sfog

Didn't SoM just get a rating or was it just a rumor that it was coming to VC?

It's confirmed for Japan some time this month. Nothing has been said or rated in regard to other regions yet, but it's certainly an eventual possibility.

Somnid

Here's the latest sales data pulled from the Nintendo Channel for those interested. These are the lower bounds and are probably quite a bit higher. The threshold for play data on the Nintendo Channel seems to be 10,000 users so anything not here probably has less than that.

212,995 Super Mario Bros 3
209,441 Super Mario Bros
151,881 Super Mario World
146,219 Mario Kart 64
131,024 Super Mario 64
100,509 Legend of Zelda
97,498 Ocarina of Time
87,696 Wario's Woods
85,756 Paper Mario
82,935 Kirby's Adventure
80,520 Link to the Past
79,868 Super Mario Bros 2
78,235 Punch-Out!!
77,917 Starfox 64
70,989 Donkey Kong Country
62,479 Super Metroid
55,361 Sonic the Hedgehog
52,558 Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
51,612 Donkey Kong
49,139 Pokemon Snap
44,119 Kid Icarus
40,745 Pac-Man
37,029 Kirby 64
36,909 Metroid
36,894 Gunstar Heroes
34,916 Bomberman '93
33,107 Yoshi's Story
31,569 Donkey Kong Country 2
30,749 Sonic 2
30,502 Castlevania 4
29,913 Zelda 2: Adventure of Link
29,042 Sin and Punishment
26,684 Galaga
26,625 Street Fighter II: World Warrior
26,402 Sonic 3
26,072 Contra 3
26,040 Ninja Gaiden
24,587 Tecmo Bowl
23,366 Bubble Bobble
21,586 Toe Jam and Earl
21,136 Street Fighter II: Turbo
19,368 Sim City
17,603 F-Zero X
15,318 Donkey Kong Country 3
14,597 Streets of Rage 2
14,124 Harvest Moon
12,651 Actraiser
11,940 Breath of Fire 2
10,664 Shining Force

Capndrake

How on earth is Wario's Woods so high? If it was the SNES version I could maybe understand, but the NES version is extremely average.

Capndrake said:
How on earth is Wario's Woods so high? If it was the SNES version I could maybe understand, but the NES version is extremely average.

Nintendo fans will buy anything, as long as it's got a Nintendo character in it.

Christ, the top 16 are all Nintendo games.

Guys, you have freaking' CONTRA, CASTLEVANIA, NEO GEO, TG16, SEGA, STREET FIGHTER, SHINING FORCE, NINJA GAIDEN, and a shitload more of the best games from 2 whole generations of gaming...but you continue to buy only 1st party offerings and turn your nose up at 3rd party stuff.

CONTRA, people. Jeez! How can you scoff at that?

Or Ristar. More people should play Ristar.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nintendo releasing versions of NES games that later have superior SNES releases totally boggles my mind. I'd buy Yoshi's Cookie in a heart beat.. if it was the SNES version. Wario Woods shares a similar fate.

Capndrake said:
It was one of the first games on the service, so it benefited from lack of competition? Though that doesn't seem to have helped NES Mario Bros. even make the list.

Somnid

SonicMegaDrive said:
Nintendo fans will buy anything, as long as it's got a Nintendo character in it.

Guys, you have freaking' CONTRA, CASTLEVANIA, NEO GEO, TG16, SEGA, STREET FIGHTER, SHINING FORCE, NINJA GAIDEN, and a shitload more of the best games from 2 whole generations of gaming...but you continue to buy only 1st party offerings and turn your nose up at 3rd party stuff.

Both SF:WW and SF:T made the list as did Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania 4. They aren't as well known or popular but they are ranking pretty high amongst the 250 released VC games. What surprises me is how word-of-mouth really does help push some of these games. Sin and Punishment, Shinig Force and Actraiser probably would not have made it otherwise.

Granting that's true, but the likes of Castlevania, Contra, and Shining Force should be out in front among the leaders of the pack. How else can you explain games like Wario's Woods and Yoshi's Story outselling some of the best games of all time?

Do young people not know about the greater games of yesteryear, or do they simply not care because it's not Nintendo? This is what I find interesting.

But I do find it surprising that Sin & Punishment, Shining Force, and freaking Actraiser ranked so high. So you're definitely right about the 'word-of-mouth' thing.

Neo Samus

I'm surprised that none of the Bonk games are on that list. I know that it doesn't count for every download but how did you come up with those numbers?

lsslave

Jew Gamer
SonicMegaDrive said:

None of the Castlevania games are HUGE in sales, just in awesome, so its hard to compare it to that. When castlevania became really popular it was also with a different style than the old-school castlevania titles.

Contra is niche, balls to the walls hard doesn't work for people, same as Ninja Gaiden, on top of that the new NG fans are on the Xbox brand so why would they get a Wii for the classics?

Shining Force suffers from A) a lot of people said wait for #2 and B) its a SRPG, they might sell decently well but never in comparison to games like Mario anyhow, not even a new release, so why wouldn't the VC be any better.

Lets face it, the hardcore gaming titles have never outsold, but casual games that CAN be hardcore are usually the best of the bunch anyhow (SMB3 :D)

Remember, this is only counting those who have the Nintendo Channel and who have chosen to share their data so the real numbers are likely to be quite a bit higher.

What I'd really like to see is a month by month sales change to see how much their sales increase over time.

Nuclear Muffin said:
Remember, this is only counting those who have the Nintendo Channel and who have chosen to share their data so the real numbers are likely to be quite a bit higher.

What I'd really like to see is a month by month sales change to see how much their sales increase over time.

If that's true, then these are pretty incredible numbers.

Lets face it, the hardcore gaming titles have never outsold, but casual games that CAN be hardcore are usually the best of the bunch anyhow (SMB3 )

Well, yeah, everybody and their mom(literally!) is going to buy Super Mario 3.

But....Wario's Woods? Really now? It outsold Kirby's Adventure, for crying out loud.

Actually, I do want to say that Wario's Woods is a pretty underrated game. It never got the praise it probably deserves because of the time it was released. But we all know the only reason anybody touched it on the service is because it had the word 'Wario' in the title.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Actually, I do want to say that Wario's Woods is a pretty underrated game. It never got the praise it probably deserves because of the time it was released. But we all know the only reason anybody touched it on the service is because it had the word 'Wario' in the title.

...it was also one of the first titles up on the service & I'm sure that a lot of people snapped it up because there wasn't anything much else after they'd gone through the best & brightest of the launch titles. I certainly know I snapped up a couple of stinkers because I had plenty of points & I'd bought pretty much every AAA game available at the time!

SonicMegaDrive said:
Granting that's true, but the likes of Castlevania, Contra, and Shining Force should be out in front among the leaders of the pack. How else can you explain games like Wario's Woods and Yoshi's Story outselling some of the best games of all time?
Well, it's not like most of those games on the top also weren't burning the charts up when they were first released, too. Nor is it like all the Nintendo games are besting all the third-party ones. I doubt that back in the day Gunstar Heroes was more successful than Yoshi's Story, or that Zelda II sold less than any Castlevania.
SonicMegaDrive said:
That's actually a pretty fair point. Wario is MUCH more of a somebody now than he was when the game originally released, so it makes sense that there's a lot of people interested in Wario who don't know anything about the game other than that it will only cost them $5 to check out.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
SonicMegaDrive said:
If that's true, then these are pretty incredible numbers.

Well, yeah, everybody and their mom(literally!) is going to buy Super Mario 3.

But....Wario's Woods? Really now? It outsold Kirby's Adventure, for crying out loud.

Puzzle games are notorious for long legs, take Boom Blox, everyone was going nuts for it here and then when it didn't sell millions off the bat they said it bombed.

The game is still selling at the same pace as it started, it still hasn't ended up in a bargain bin, whereas by now any hardcore title would have.

Wario's Woods also got its boost, as someone else pointed out earlier, from being one of the first games on the VC. Combine that with its puzzle nature and its sitting pretty.

Kirby on the other hand isn't the huge franchise people take it to be, its a pink ball... thats a tough sell to anyone, especially a game thats more fun for gamers than it would be for the Bratz/Petz/OMGITSGOTAZATTHEEND crowd

lsslave said:
Puzzle games are notorious for long legs

I'll buy that.

It's too bad they didn't release Yoshi's Cookie early on. That was a much better puzzler option for the casual crowd. Especially since we couldn't have Tetris or Dr. Mario.

Somnid

Neo Samus said:
I'm surprised that none of the Bonk games are on that list. I know that it doesn't count for every download but how did you come up with those numbers?

For games with enough users it gives a total play time and play time per player. You simply divide the two numbers and you wind up with the amount of users.

I'd like to do another snapshot next week to compare the growth if I get the chance (someone else can do it if they'd like as well). For early comparison I checked LttP last week and it's grown by 1027 users, I'd expect titles above that to see more growth.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mejilan said:
Bug fixes. Fire Temple music with Muslim chanting was replaced with a stripped down, non-chanting version of the song. Some symbols were removed/replaced (such as various instances of moon and star configurations), including an appearance on the Mirror Shield. Ganondorf coughs up green blood when defeated, instead of red.

A few other miscellaneous changes along that vein.

If you want to see, hear, and play the original OoT, you'll need to track down a gold cart or one of the early batches of gray carts that released alongside the gold ones. Later revisions, including all later GCN/Wii ports, emulations, or compilations, and later cart batches, feature the changes listed above.
Wow, I didn't know that. I still have an original cart that has all that original stuff, but never noticed it at all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
duffey said:
The only way I've found is if you have a setting on your TV that lets you play 4:3 content normally. Like my TV has a wide button on the remote, and I just hit that and it goes from 16:9 to 4:3. That's all I can really recommend though. :/
I imagine you'd have to reset the Wii to 4:3 to do that too, tho.

Angry Grimace said:
I imagine you'd have to reset the Wii to 4:3 to do that too, tho.

Nope.

Here's the resolution difference between 4:3 and 16:9 on the Wii.

Nothing.

That's why you have to stretch/unstretch using the TV, because there's no standard way for the set to detect a difference between standard or widescreen SDTV.

When you set the Wii to 16:9, it's basically just a default setting. Whenever a game is loaded that doesn't have Widescreen support - such as the entire VC library - it's just 4:3 as usual.

Jazzem

Don't the Nintendo Channel numbers represent how many times the downloaded games have been played, not how many times they've been bought?

lsslave said:
Puzzle games are notorious for long legs, take Boom Blox, everyone was going nuts for it here and then when it didn't sell millions off the bat they said it bombed.

The game is still selling at the same pace as it started, it still hasn't ended up in a bargain bin, whereas by now any hardcore title would have.

Wario's Woods also got its boost, as someone else pointed out earlier, from being one of the first games on the VC. Combine that with its puzzle nature and its sitting pretty.

Kirby on the other hand isn't the huge franchise people take it to be, its a pink ball... thats a tough sell to anyone, especially a game thats more fun for gamers than it would be for the Bratz/Petz/OMGITSGOTAZATTHEEND crowd

Uh? Kirby's a pretty big franchise, probably Nintendo's fifth biggest.

djtiesto said:
Whatever you say, Zelda 2 fanboy ;)

Lol. I'm not even the biggest Zelda 2 fan. By that logic there's a whole lot of people I could call Zelda 1 fanboys.

And I can back myself up pretty well.

j/k... but Clu Clu Land is fucking AWESOME!

Ah, ok. Regarding Clu Clu Land, it is swell, though for some reason it didn't click with me as much as it could have.

Oh yeah, I just remembered. Doesn't the Nintendo Channel only show data logged by users in your own region only?

If that is the case (I'm sure it is, could someone please check the EU and JPN Nintendo Channel to verify this, I don't have access to a UK Wii right now) then these numbers are just a small fraction of the total sales for these games. (I do know that 3rd Party VC games rank a lot higher on the UK Shop Channel's most popular list than in the US!)

alex1893

can't check the shop at the moment, anything else on beside Chase HQ and Ys?

edit: nevermind, little bit early... forgot that the new stuff goes online at 1 am ;)

fisheyes

alex1893 said:
can't check the shop at the moment, anything else on beside Chase HQ and Ys?

edit: nevermind, little bit early... forgot that the new stuff goes online at 1 am ;)

Should be Spelunker and DoReMi too, as they are the leftover Hanabi festival games.

Capndrake

EU VC update (Four games, all previously confirmed, so no surprises):

-Chase H.Q. (TG)
-DoReMi Fantasy: Milon's DokiDoki Adventure (SNES, 900 points)
-Spelunker (NES, 600 points)
-Ys Book I & II (TGCD)

Somnid said:
Here's the latest sales data pulled from the Nintendo Channel for those interested. These are the lower bounds and are probably quite a bit higher. The threshold for play data on the Nintendo Channel seems to be 10,000 users so anything not here probably has less than that.

212,995 Super Mario Bros 3 (The Winner of the SMW vs. SMB3 WAR!)
209,441 Super Mario Bros
151,881 Super Mario World
146,219 Mario Kart 64
131,024 Super Mario 64
100,509 Legend of Zelda (Defeats OoT! 80's nostalgia beats 90's nostalgia!)
97,498 Ocarina of Time
87,696 Wario's Woods (Wtf)
85,756 Paper Mario
82,935 Kirby's Adventure
80,520 Link to the Past (Should be HIGHER)
79,868 Super Mario Bros 2 (Should be LOWER)
78,235 Punch-Out!!
77,917 Starfox 64
70,989 Donkey Kong Country (Should be part TWO, dammit.)
62,479 Super Metroid
55,361 Sonic the Hedgehog
52,558 Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
51,612 Donkey Kong
49,139 Pokemon Snap
44,119 Kid Icarus (44,119 people who may or may not beat world 1)
40,745 Pac-Man
37,029 Kirby 64
36,909 Metroid (36,909 people who do not need maps!)
36,894 Gunstar Heroes
34,916 Bomberman '93
33,107 Yoshi's Story (33,107 bitter tears.)
31,569 Donkey Kong Country 2
30,749 Sonic 2
30,502 Castlevania 4
29,913 Zelda 2: Adventure of Link
29,042 Sin and Punishment
26,684 Galaga
26,625 Street Fighter II: World Warrior
26,402 Sonic 3
26,072 Contra 3
26,040 Ninja Gaiden
24,587 Tecmo Bowl
23,366 Bubble Bobble
21,586 Toe Jam and Earl
21,136 Street Fighter II: Turbo (Should be higher)
19,368 Sim City (Wow, this was on VC? I forgot... )
17,603 F-Zero X
15,318 Donkey Kong Country 3 (Should be LOWER, lol)
14,597 Streets of Rage 2
14,124 Harvest Moon
12,651 Actraiser
11,940 Breath of Fire 2
10,664 Shining Force

I don't see RCR there.... People don't appreciate the awesome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
BuddhaRockstar said:
The fact that SMB3 is 3 bucks less and can be played with just a Wiimote probably has a lot to do with it.

Exactly.

World is a much better game.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
A Link to the Snitch said:
Uh? Kirby's a pretty big franchise, probably Nintendo's fifth biggest.

Oh? I don't follow sales-age THAT much but the Kirby games never seem to do as amazing as a lot of other Ninty selections, I always figured it was their weak link that they had a soft spot for.

Guess Kirby is good for more than cheap playing in Smash Bros 64 ^^

Edit:
Andrex said:
Exactly.

World is a much better game.

No, no, and no :p SMB3 is just awesome, no question about it! Tanooki beats all

MoogPaul

yeah turbo SHOULD be higher. Just like how turbo shouldn't have been released after the original. I fell right into capcom's plan of sucking 1600 points from me. I'm guessing quite a bit of people bought the original SFII, saw turbo came out, and proceeded to give capcom the finger.

Top Bottom