• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Christopher said:
God I love Mario RPG

It's such a shame that Nintendo didn't build off that whole world that Square basically created for them...I mean they gave them new baddies with personalities, and great locations outside the mushroom kingdom.

Booster, Valentina, Croco...

Also I'd love to see Geno and Mallow in another game.

I still wonder what was in Toadstool's room :p. Yeah this game made me want to call her Toadstool again, such a good game for what it is.

I don't mind the SMRPG world, but I prefer the world that the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi games created for their stories. I think those games did a better job of incorporating the existing Mario elements into a more fully realized world. Square invented a lot of new species and characters while neglecting the things that already existed in Mario and a lot of the things in SMRPG feel alien and out of place as a result.

And I'd be much happier if Geno never showed up again.

Christopher

Iam Canadian said:
I don't mind the SMRPG world, but I prefer the world that the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi games created for their stories. I think those games did a better job of incorporating the existing Mario elements into a more fully realized world. Square invented a lot of new species and characters while neglecting the things that already existed in Mario and a lot of the things in SMRPG feel alien and out of place as a result.

And I'd be much happier if Geno never showed up again.

...but wasn't that the point? Mario has to travel to new foreign worlds while breaking out of his "comfort" zone with Bowser and co? Everything was "familiar" until you got out of the Mushroom Kingdom.

Jiggy

JasonMCG said:
Castlevania III will be out October 27th in NA. Believe it! :D
I was about to say that would be a strange release date since it would come after Order of Ecclesia, but then I remembered we're talking about a Nintendo-run schedule.

On the other hand, if Simon/Syfa/Grant are playable in the post-game mode of Order of Ecclesia like I'm rooting for, maybe they could promote the VC release that way, but that might be something of a stretch.

JaseMath

Jiggy37 said:
I was about to say that would be a strange release date since it would come after Order of Ecclesia, but then I remembered we're talking about a Nintendo-run schedule.

On the other hand, if Simon/Syfa/Grant are playable in the post-game mode of Order of Ecclesia like I'm rooting for, maybe they could promote the VC release that way, but that might be something of a stretch.
The week of Halloween last year we got Castlevania II, so I'm guessing this year for the Halloween week we'd get Castlevania III. Seems to make sense (at least to me).

Jammy

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
So, just about 7 or 8 more hours till we know what we in North America get. Any guesses? I say Megaman 2.

I don't know... We're supposed to get Secret of Mana, Mega Man 2, StrongBad Episode 2, Bomberman Blast, and a couple more very soon.

Aeana

Well, I think someone said at some point that we're supposed to be getting MM2 before MM9, didn't they? So I hope MM2 does hit soon, so MM9 can hit at the end of the month. :\

Jiggy

My hope is that it'll be a day of twos and we'll get Mega Man 2 and Shining Force II. My prediction? I dare not say, for it would incite the screams of the dead and of rodents.

And by that I mean I predict Mega Man 2 and something nobody'll care about.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Aeana said:
Well, I think someone said at some point that we're supposed to be getting MM2 before MM9, didn't they? So I hope MM2 does hit soon, so MM9 can hit at the end of the month. :\

MM2, PS IV, and SD2 in 11 hours.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jammy said:
I don't know... We're supposed to get Secret of Mana, Mega Man 2, StrongBad Episode 2, Bomberman Blast, and a couple more very soon.

I don't think we know for absolute sure we're getting Secret of Mana and Bomberman soon... Nintendo could pull a dick move and have us waiting until 2009, cuz they're like that. :/

Why does Wikipedia list Super C as a retired game? Is Nintendo planning to remove Super C from the list of virtual console games soon or something? If so, will download.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Mockingbird said:
Why does Wikipedia list Super C as a retired game? Is Nintendo planning to remove Super C from the list of virtual console games soon or something? If so, will download.

I haven't heard of anything like this...especially since Konami has been a rather strong VC supporter so far and would have no reason to pull any of their games.

Though that does remind me of how they seem oddly relucant to dole out the Contra love, as we've yet to get the original Contra or Contra: Hard Corps.

Aeana said:

Jiggy37 said:
My hope is that it'll be a day of twos and we'll get Mega Man 2 and Shining Force II. My prediction? I dare not say, for it would incite the screams of the dead and of rodents.

And by that I mean I predict Mega Man 2 and something nobody'll care about.

Tenbatsu said:
I seriously wish it will be Rockman 2....

All of these. While Mega Man 2 isn't my favourite Mega Man game or even my second-favourite (Mega Man 3 and Mega Man X both prevail in my mind), it's still a fantastic game and its release brings us closer to the coveted Mega Man 9.

HUELEN10

Iam Canadian said:
All of these. While Mega Man 2 isn't my favourite Mega Man game or even my second-favourite (Mega Man 3 and Mega Man X both prevail in my mind), it's still a fantastic game and its release brings us closer to the coveted Mega Man 9.
That is why I picked it as my weekly guess. Oh well, we will know for sure in mere minutes!

Capndrake

WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Sept. 15, 2008 - Two is your lucky number at the Wii™ Shop Channel this week. You'll find a pair of totally different yet equally awesome sequels on offer: the second installment in the outrageous Strong Bad game series on WiiWare™, and a memorable sequel from the classic Mega Man™ series on the Virtual Console™. Two is also the total number of WiiWare titles debuting this week, including an eye-popping new puzzle game that's suitable for two players. And while it only takes one Wii™ console to access them, you'll need two hands to applaud this ever-growing selection of great games.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Strong Bad Episode 2: Strong Badia the Free (Telltale Games, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older-Crude Humor, Mild Cartoon Violence, Use of Alcohol, 1,000 Wii Points): Strong Badia the Free is the second of five monthly episodes starring Strong Bad-the self-proclaimed "coolest person ever"-and the rest of the cast from the popular Homestar Runner Web cartoons. When Strong Bad fails to obey the King of Town's totally unfair e-mail tax, he's placed under house arrest. Once freed from his wrongful imprisonment, Strong Bad goes on a mission to unite the local warring factions under the Strong Badian flag. Is Free Country USA ready for such an awesome ruler? Strong Bad Episode 2: Strong Badia the Free also has the Videlectrix arcade classic "Math Kickers Featuring the Algebros," plus all-new achievements, collectibles, costumes and Teen Girl Squad comics. You can even use Strong Bad's Lappy to send e-mails and pictures to your Wii Friends™. So what are you waiting for? Fire up Strong Badia the Free and get ready to kick some doughy King of Town butt.

Potpourrii (Abstraction Games, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): In the puzzle game Potpourrii, everything revolves around the seasons. For centuries, the seasons have followed a set pattern. But then things start to go awry in the forest. Suddenly it's snowing while the sun shines and flowers bloom while leaves are falling. Then a strange purple goo appears. The leprechauns are stunned. Even worse, the magic oak of life loses its power. It all turns out to be the fault of an evil wizard. You must help the leprechauns defeat him and restore natural order. To do this, you need to collect seasonal spirits. Pick them up with the spirit cannon, shoot them at the center of the screen, group them and make them disappear. But watch out-they get faster and faster. In short: Potpourrii is a puzzle game that keeps you hooked with its colorful visuals, beautiful effects and easy-to-use controls using the Wii Remote™ controller. Play alone or with a second player, and even use your Mii™ character.

Virtual Console

Mega Man 2 (NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): Widely regarded by fans as one of the greatest action games of all time, Mega Man 2 is the second title in the seminal NES series. With even more stages and robot masters than the previous installment, its sheer size and scope are enough to get any action gamer's heart palpitating. The year is 200X. Dr. Light's super-robot, Mega Man, has succeeded in smashing the evil ambition of the nefarious Dr. Wily, and peace reigns over the planet. However, Dr. Wily proves to be a hard man to keep down and has returned with a new army of robot masters in tow to challenge our hero. Can Mega Man save the world again?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Well, look at what we got this week...

NOA Press Release said:
WII-KLY UPDATE: TWO WIIWARE GAMES AND ONE VIRTUAL CONSOLE GAME ADDED TO WII SHOP CHANNEL

Sept. 15, 2008 - Two is your lucky number at the Wii™ Shop Channel this week. You'll find a pair of totally different yet equally awesome sequels on offer: the second installment in the outrageous Strong Bad game series on WiiWare™, and a memorable sequel from the classic Mega Man™ series on the Virtual Console™. Two is also the total number of WiiWare titles debuting this week, including an eye-popping new puzzle game that's suitable for two players. And while it only takes one Wii™ console to access them, you'll need two hands to applaud this ever-growing selection of great games.

Nintendo adds new and classic games to the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time every Monday. Wii owners with a high-speed Internet connection can redeem Wii Points™ to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel or at retail outlets. This week's new games are:

WiiWare

Strong Bad Episode 2: Strong Badia the Free (Telltale Games, 1 player, Rated E10+ for Everyone 10 and Older-Crude Humor, Mild Cartoon Violence, Use of Alcohol, 1,000 Wii Points): Strong Badia the Free is the second of five monthly episodes starring Strong Bad-the self-proclaimed "coolest person ever"-and the rest of the cast from the popular Homestar Runner Web cartoons. When Strong Bad fails to obey the King of Town's totally unfair e-mail tax, he's placed under house arrest. Once freed from his wrongful imprisonment, Strong Bad goes on a mission to unite the local warring factions under the Strong Badian flag. Is Free Country USA ready for such an awesome ruler? Strong Bad Episode 2: Strong Badia the Free also has the Videlectrix arcade classic "Math Kickers Featuring the Algebros," plus all-new achievements, collectibles, costumes and Teen Girl Squad comics. You can even use Strong Bad's Lappy to send e-mails and pictures to your Wii Friends™. So what are you waiting for? Fire up Strong Badia the Free and get ready to kick some doughy King of Town butt.

Potpourrii (Abstraction Games, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone, 800 Wii Points): In the puzzle game Potpourrii, everything revolves around the seasons. For centuries, the seasons have followed a set pattern. But then things start to go awry in the forest. Suddenly it's snowing while the sun shines and flowers bloom while leaves are falling. Then a strange purple goo appears. The leprechauns are stunned. Even worse, the magic oak of life loses its power. It all turns out to be the fault of an evil wizard. You must help the leprechauns defeat him and restore natural order. To do this, you need to collect seasonal spirits. Pick them up with the spirit cannon, shoot them at the center of the screen, group them and make them disappear. But watch out-they get faster and faster. In short: Potpourrii is a puzzle game that keeps you hooked with its colorful visuals, beautiful effects and easy-to-use controls using the Wii Remote™ controller. Play alone or with a second player, and even use your Mii™ character.

Virtual Console

Mega Man 2 (NES™, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone-Mild Cartoon Violence, 500 Wii Points): Widely regarded by fans as one of the greatest action games of all time, Mega Man 2 is the second title in the seminal NES series. With even more stages and robot masters than the previous installment, its sheer size and scope are enough to get any action gamer's heart palpitating. The year is 200X. Dr. Light's super-robot, Mega Man, has succeeded in smashing the evil ambition of the nefarious Dr. Wily, and peace reigns over the planet. However, Dr. Wily proves to be a hard man to keep down and has returned with a new army of robot masters in tow to challenge our hero. Can Mega Man save the world again?

Anyone excited about this?

Edit: I've been bested... but I did use bold! (Shakes fist)

Andrex said:
You need it if you want to play any non-NES game and don't have a GameCube controller
Dragona said it already, but you don't need anything beyond the remote for TG-16 games. And the remote works well for many Genesis games.

Mockingbird said:
Just checked. It's still there. Hmm. Never trust Wikipedia?

Grok4Spock

If I didn't have the Anniversary Collection, MM2 would be mine...
Edit: After thinking about it, MM2 this week has to be a sign that MM9 comes out on 9/22....

Ranger X

ONE VC GAME UPDATE = fail

NA is ridiculous yet again. Sadly, many people will not complain because the only game updated is mighty excellent. I still think it's about giving the VC follower a choice and this week i have none. (I also own the cartridge and the Megaman collection)

In the meantime there's a shitload of games waiting to be released on the service and rated since the invention of time.

evilromero said:
Kind of disappointed the SNES library is trickling out at such a slow pace. Get on that shit NoA.

Need more SNES Final Fight and Mega Man. And where's my MKII, Zombies Ate My Neighbors, and Earthworm Jim? These western companies can't seem to get their games out.

Oh, and some more 16-bit Konami stuffs would be nice.

But it's Mega Man 2 week. No complaining from me.

Why the thread title change? Mega Man 2 = Awesome!

We all know by now that WW and VC alternate between 1 and 2 games and it just so happens that both WW and VC have delivered this week! Everyone should have no problem buying at least 1 game this week!

dyls

Seeing the title I came in here expecting something much worse than one of the greatest NES games ever made. Is it just because there is only one VC game? I don't get it.

Jiggy

neight said:
When will the whining in the title end? Is every game released weekly on the now-gen consoles an A+ game?
The "now-gen" non-portables don't have a potential library of thousands of games to draw from, with several dozens that are A+ games. Even putting that aside, there are multiple great games which have already been released in other regions and aren't here.

...I could say more, but why bother? I've already said it all. The argument have never been as simple as you and some others have made it out to be, and I've been over this territory so, so many times already.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10516096&postcount=20402
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10623022&postcount=20701
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10921092&postcount=21151
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10934117&postcount=21183
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10963911&postcount=21216
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10967961&postcount=21240
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11212433&postcount=21784
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11248579&postcount=21908
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11378420&postcount=22113
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11429696&postcount=22313
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11446080&postcount=22394

All that said, I'm getting Mega Man 2, but Nintendo of America's treatment of Virtual Console is just one reason that over the past couple of months I realized that I have effectively no respect for this company anymore. :/

Yes Boss!

Jiggy37 said:
All that said, I'm getting Mega Man 2, but Nintendo of America's treatment of Virtual Console is just one reason that over the past couple of months I realized that I have effectively no respect for this company anymore. :/

Wow, overreact a bit? VC is nothing to NoA in the long run. A nice gesture but not their bread and butter. And how many fricken games do you need each week?!? They are treating the service diligently despite all the crying in this thread. If you want games from other regions go buy another Wii.

Somnid

Every fucking week I swear.

There is nothing bad about this update. 2 buys plus something I'd at least want to hear more about.

knkng

Jiggy37 said:
The argument have never been as simple as you and some others have made it out to be
No, it is, it really is.

Some games that you personally like haven't been released yet, and that's about it. "Oh God, Europe got Megaman before America, it's not fair!!" My pillows are literally stained with tears over this, oh the sleepless nights...

Don't worry, though, we all know how you would run things. Release your favourite games in the first 3 months, then walk away from the service forever. But please, keep shitting on Nintendo when they give us Megaman 2, maybe they really will just abandon the service and you can all be happy.

/rant

knkng said:
No, it is, it really is.

Some games that you personally like haven't been released yet, and that's about it. "Oh God, Europe got Megaman before America, it's not fair!!" My pillows are literally stained with tears over this, oh the sleepless nights...

Don't worry, though, we all know how you would run things. Release your favourite games in the first 3 months, then walk away from the service forever. But please, keep shitting on Nintendo when they give us Megaman 2, maybe they really will just abandon the service and you can all be happy.

/rant

i approve of this post. This thread is full of whiners.

Jiggy

knkng said:
games that you personally like
Keep constructing those strawmen. I've said repeatedly that I'll acknowledge a great week if the releases are beloved titles that have earned the respect of gamers other than myself--even if those games are ones that I won't be buying.

For example, Super Mario RPG and Samurai Shodown II.

Somnid

knkng said:
No, it is, it really is.

/rant

Not that I would word it that way but it sums up how I feel as well. Mega Man 2 is one of the best NES titles there is and probably the best one not already on VC. Couple that with a good Wiiware lineup and it's quite an excellent update. Given that there is going to be intercompetion we shouldn't be seperating the two sevices as much as we are.

farnham

Banned
Jiggy37 said:

YS I and II, SMRPG, MM2 and Cho Aniki

not that bad really

Top Bottom