• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
ruby_onix said:
It depends on what kind of timeline you want to believe in. For instance, I always believed that the timeline went...

OoT > MM > (some untold story of the adult Hero of Time) >>> LTTP > Link's Awakening >>> Zelda 1 > Zelda 2

And that the Master Sword was never able to completely defeat Ganon so long as he had the Triforce of Power, which made him immortal. Zelda 1's Link only had the Magic Sword, not the Master Sword, but he still managed to get the Triforce of Power away from Ganon using Zelda's Triforce of Wisdom (at which point, any weapon would do), and sealed the deal in Zelda 2 by inheriting his own Triforce of Courage and giving Zelda hers back.

I used to think LA came after LttP, but I think WW changed all that, and now LA could actually be a parallel tale to PH after WW.

You'll only drive yourself crazy trying to establish a timeline with the Zelda series. The games' stories are written very late in the process with little regard for continuity. You're better off considering every game to be in its own parallel universe unless otherwise stated.

Personally, I'll start caring about Zelda's story when Nintendo does the same.

Jiggy

Final Soldier is in a really interesting position with me right now. I think it has better enemies and far better bosses than Super Star Soldier or Soldier Blade, and the primary weapon choice is three times more diverse than that of the other two--you actually have options for how the three non-default gun powerups operate. Despite that, I think SSS and SB are overall better games and I can't quite put my finger on why...

Perhaps at least a little bit of the reason lies in that I beat it on my second try, which means that it's sitting above only Star Parodier as the second easiest shooter available on VC, tied with Gley Lancer. :p

Still great, though.

Edit: Random fact--TG16 games make up 30% of my VC collection now and continue to be by far the best reason I could own a Wii.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Capndrake said:
No clue, but it gives Europeans an even bigger reason to complain about storage space.

Actually, it just occurred to me that it might be due to the multiple manual translations... assuming VC games in the PAL regions have multiple language manuals included.

Capndrake

DavidDayton said:
Actually, it just occurred to me that it might be due to the multiple manual translations... assuming VC games in the PAL regions have multiple language manuals included.
Maybe, but there's also a handful of games that are actually smaller than in the US.

later

DavidDayton said:

Why don't they have multiple versions for the pal region (with the only difference each manual language).. They should just check the wii system language and then download the appropriate file. game-nl.zip game-fr.zip etc

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Count Dookkake said:
How does this Cho Aniki compare to the PS1 verison?

it's actually a pretty good game with weird but well-executed pixel art -- whereas the ps1 game is just a freakshow

later said:
Why don't they have multiple versions for the pal region (with the only difference each manual language).. They should just check the wii system language and then download the appropriate file. game-nl.zip game-fr.zip etc

There are French language versions of Kirby's Adventure, Actraiser, Zelda III, SimCity, Pokémon Puzzle League, and Pokémon Snap.

There are German language versions of Actraiser, DKC2, Harvest Moon, Mystical Ninja, Zelda III, SimCity, Pokémon Puzzle League, and Pokémon Snap.

Several others include multiple languages in a single download, explaining the larger sizes.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Alright, now I have a question. I've been playing through the VC/Wiiware games on my Wii so I can delete them once I've beat them, and discovered something I'd never seen before while playing Super Mario Bros. After playing through a few of the worlds without losing a life (I think I first noticed this at around 3-1 or 4-1), the number of lives that Mario is reported as having changed from a number to a crown-like (like an E rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise with a horizontal line below it) symbol followed by a zero. Now that I'm at World 5-3, that 0 has been replaced by a 1. I presume that this is because I haven't lost any lives, but am I right? Does it signify anything else?

EDIT: I lost a life and it went back to Crown 0, then another and it went back to 9. So does the crown just replace a 1 all the time or is this a glitch?

Metaphoreus said:
Alright, now I have a question. I've been playing through the VC/Wiiware games on my Wii so I can delete them once I've beat them, and discovered something I'd never seen before while playing Super Mario Bros. After playing through a few of the worlds without losing a life (I think I first noticed this at around 3-1 or 4-1), the number of lives that Mario is reported as having changed from a number to a crown-like (like an E rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise with a horizontal line below it) symbol followed by a zero. Now that I'm at World 5-3, that 0 has been replaced by a 1. I presume that this is because I haven't lost any lives, but am I right? Does it signify anything else?

EDIT: I lost a life and it went back to Crown 0, then another and it went back to 9. So does the crown just replace a 1 all the time or is this a glitch?

Did you use the trick to gain lots of 1-ups?

You must have gone over 100, as the NES Super Mario Bros. did not have a way to display over 100 lives.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
Golden Darkness said:
Did you use the trick to gain lots of 1-ups?

You must have gone over 100, as the NES Super Mario Bros. did not have a way to display over 100 lives.

No, I didn't use the trick; it seems that I only had 11 lives, though, and that the crown symbol simply replaced the first 1. I don't know why, though--does it normally do that?

MoxManiac said:
Why is final soldier 700 points? is it an import?

Yeah, Final Soldier wasn't released here, though the other two Star Soldier games on the system were (incidentally, this game actually was released between the other two; Soldier Blade is the last of the three TG16 Star Soldier games, not Final Soldier.)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
radcliff said:
In Japan, ALTTP always came after LOZ and AOL. It got messed up in the US translation.

Wrong. I've seen the scripts for both games, and while there are indeed key differences they have nothing to do with the game's placement in the timeline. The only thing anyone ever uses as "proof" of the LTTP after Zelda 1/2 notion is some ancient interview where it was mentioned, but translations being what they were back then I don't trust it for a second. Even if it WAS accurate, I trust the actual explicit content of the game over what Miyamoto says. He didn't write the script, after all. He's always been very hands-off on the plot.

Also, let's just say that it can indeed be considered the final resting place of the Master Sword. You never use it in Zelda 1/2, after all. As for the other games that come after it... let's just say that they don't necessarily come after it. I don't want to get into my whole timeline theory right now.

BUT HEY we aren't actually talking about this in this thread any more, are we. Doo be do.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Metaphoreus said:
No, I didn't use the trick; it seems that I only had 11 lives, though, and that the crown symbol simply replaced the first 1. I don't know why, though--does it normally do that?
SMB does weird things when you have more than 9 lives. They don't display correctly.

You can gain up to 127 lives with no adverse affects. If you get another 1UP when you have 127 lives, though, the counter wraps back around to -128, as in negative 128. If you have a negative number of lives when you clear a stage or die, you get an instant Game Over.

Capndrake

maxmars said:
Thanks! You don't happen to have any kind of info about Pilotwings, do you? Rumors, hearsay..
It's been listed on the ESRB since the Wii's launch (With the system as "Wii" like other VC games), but it could be a mistake or something. Heard nothing else about it, sorry.

Capndrake

PuppetSlave said:
I'm at work right now and can't check myself but does anyone know what got released in europe today on VC? (or Ware for that matter)
The Hanabi Festival is over so it's back to alternating VC/WW weeks. WiiWare was this week:

-Plattchen: Twist 'n Paint
-Midnight Pool
-Bomberman Blast

Gagaman

PuppetSlave said:
I'm at work right now and can't check myself but does anyone know what got released in europe today on VC? (or Ware for that matter)
We just got the goddamn Bomberman Wiiware! Yes please! Oh, and Plättchen: Twist ‘n’ Paint which is 1500 points.

Capndrake said:
The Hanabi Festival is over so it's back to alternating VC/WW weeks. WiiWare was this week:

-Plattchen: Twist 'n Paint
-Midnight Pool
-Bomberman Blast

No Strong Bad? Has it been made official when Episode 2 is hitting?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Bring on Bomberman to the US. That's an instant buy.

Castlevania III, eh? If all the effort to emulate the MMC5 is being undertaken, it makes the prospects for Pilotwings, Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, Stunt Race FX, and Yoshi's Island look much better.

Ranger X

If ever they publish Castlevania Dracula's Curse in the US but the version with the better sound, i would buy it even if i own the US cartridge.

Capndrake said:
ESRB update:

Not a surprise, as Japan has it, but still pointless.

Indeed... SCE is awesome, but its biggest advantage over the SNES version (Turbo) is the 6-button controller. Without that, there's no good reason to release it.

Having all 10 speeds of turbo accessible without a cheatcode and being able to turn off the special moves (each individually) are not enough to make it worth buying for anyone who has Turbo, and the graphics are of course worse. Overall I do like SCE more than Turbo, but a lot of that is because of the superior controller...

(My first complaint about the CC, that it had only four face buttons instead of six, continues to make its effects felt, for people who want to get the Wii versions of these games...)

Oh yeah, and MMC5 NES support would be very cool.

Tathanen said:
Wrong. I've seen the scripts for both games, and while there are indeed key differences they have nothing to do with the game's placement in the timeline. The only thing anyone ever uses as "proof" of the LTTP after Zelda 1/2 notion is some ancient interview where it was mentioned, but translations being what they were back then I don't trust it for a second. Even if it WAS accurate, I trust the actual explicit content of the game over what Miyamoto says. He didn't write the script, after all. He's always been very hands-off on the plot.

Also, let's just say that it can indeed be considered the final resting place of the Master Sword. You never use it in Zelda 1/2, after all. As for the other games that come after it... let's just say that they don't necessarily come after it. I don't want to get into my whole timeline theory right now.

BUT HEY we aren't actually talking about this in this thread any more, are we. Doo be do.

That's great to hear, I had always wondered about how accurate that interview was... so the Japanese order is the same as the US on this issue, probably? Fantasatic, really. It would be pretty annoying if there were different chronologies depending on which region you were in...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cheesemeister said:
Castlevania III, eh? If all the effort to emulate the MMC5 is being undertaken, it makes the prospects for Pilotwings, Super Mario Kart, Star Fox, Stunt Race FX, and Yoshi's Island look much better.

Yes! :D

Gagaman

Dash Kappei said:
How does Liquid Kids PCE compares to the arcade's? I loved that game :)
Do any other versions (MD, SFC) exist?
There was an Amiga port, but it was never officially released (only leaked).
It's also on Taito Memories 2 for the PS2/X-Box.

Jiggy

I'm hoping for Mega Man 2 tomorrow and Castlevania III on October 13th or 20th to lead up to Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. I don't remember if Nintendo's ever done VC release date tie-ins to third-party games before, though.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
I'm hoping for Mega Man 2 tomorrow and Castlevania III on October 13th or 20th to lead up to Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. I don't remember if Nintendo's ever done VC release date tie-ins to third-party games before, though.

I'm pretty sure they haven't, and it's not like they often do them for first-party games either.

But yeah, I'm also hoping for Mega Man 2, because Mega Man 9 has gotten my Mega Man hype to a fevered pitch. It would also be nice to see Castlevania III soon, though I'm pulling for Castlevania Bloodlines just as much.

Something, something, Earthbound.

I'm about to go out and finally buy a Wii. Mainly b/c the wife wants Wii Fit (which seems to be sold out everywhere), but I'm also excited about the VC (and SMG).

Question -- is there any consensus about the "classic" Wii gamepad, the one that sorta resembles the SNES controller? I should get this if I want to play VC games, right? Or are the standard controls just as good?

Any other accessory tips? The "new" WiiMote is just an add-on, so that shouldn't factor into my purchase plans, I assume. (In before Wii Wheel.)

Thanks!

affableamerican said:
I'm about to go out and finally buy a Wii. Mainly b/c the wife wants Wii Fit (which seems to be sold out everywhere), but I'm also excited about the VC (and SMG).

Question -- is there any consensus about the "classic" Wii gamepad, the one that sorta resembles the SNES controller? I should get this if I want to play VC games, right? Or are the standard controls just as good?

Any other accessory tips? The "new" WiiMote is just an add-on, so that shouldn't factor into my purchase plans, I assume. (In before Wii Wheel.)

Thanks!

For NES and PCE games, the naked wiimote is more than serviceable. Depending on how you play, Megadrive games are also fine. For SNES games, I prefer using the Classic Controller, but for N64 games, it is best to use a GameCube controller, I find.

My Classic Controller does get a bunch of use, but I'd see if you could find a sale.

Oh, if you love light gun shooters (and who doesn't!) buy a pair of Nyko Perfectshots. Paired with HoTD 2&3 Return and Ghost Squad, you'll think you're in the arcade! (Just make sure you turn off the aiming reticule.)

Ikopi

For Nes games, the wiimote works perfectly held sideways.
For Snes games, you can use a Cube controller, but the Classic Controller is better (and the Snes Wii controller from the Japanese club is the best, but hard to find).
For N64, it depends on the game but usually the Cube controller is best. Classic controller is also very good though.

If you play a lot of VC games, I would advise to get a Classic Controller. You can play almost any VC game from any system without much problem on it.

Jiggy

affableamerican said:

Even if you stuck strictly to NES games, Master System games, TG16 games, and many Genesis games that only need two or three buttons, the classic controller should still be on your buy list because of its D-pad--it's bigger, better, and makes diagonal movement easier.

If you plan to get any SNES or N64 games, though, the classic becomes a must for the four buttons--and I don't mean "highly recommended," but the software literally requires you to use a classic controller or Gamecube controller and you'll even be warned ahead of time before downloading these games. Gamecube is better for N64; classic is much, much, much better for SNES.

I don't have any Neo Geo games, but I'm guessing those are in the same boat as SNES and N64.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
affableamerican said:

There's more out there than that, but if those are your top priorities that's actually pretty good. :)

affableamerican said:

You need it if you want to play any non-NES game and don't have a GameCube controller (GC and Classic can both be used to play all VC games.)

affableamerican said:

Thanks!

If you like shooting things, you can't go wrong with the Nyko PerfectShot.

Edit- Beaten but whatever.

Christopher

God I love Mario RPG

It's such a shame that Nintendo didn't build off that whole world that Square basically created for them...I mean they gave them new baddies with personalities, and great locations outside the mushroom kingdom.

Booster, Valentina, Croco...

Also I'd love to see Geno and Mallow in another game.

I still wonder what was in Toadstool's room :p. Yeah this game made me want to call her Toadstool again, such a good game for what it is.

NeonZ

Christopher said:
God I love Mario RPG

It's such a shame that Nintendo didn't build off that whole world that Square basically created for them...I mean they gave them new baddies with personalities, and great locations outside the mushroom kingdom.

I don't think Nintendo actually owned that world, though, that's the main problem. Mario&Luigi included credits for Square because it used a Geno cameo. If Geno isn't owned by Nintendo, I don't think any of the Mario RPG exclusive characters and locations are Nintendo's either.

Top Bottom