• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official bitching about Hudson abandoning VC support. [VC/WiiWare = lost cause]

Deku

Banned
IAmtheFMan said:
I'm sure it's old, but I was playing LTTP, and passed by the fortune-tellers house and I did a double take... surely I didn't think I saw what I just saw. I then went back, took a pause, went to my computer to see if anyone else had found it and sure enough, yep:

zelda.jpeg

You can't UNSEE it after you've seen it.

I see two hands hovering above a glowing crystal ball.

oh wait... :/ you just ruined my childhood.

mrkgoo

Deku said:
I see two hands hovering above a glowing crystal ball.

oh wait... :/ you just ruined my childhood.

I have never even seen teh goatse, but I can imagine what it is. And now I hate you all and want to die.

mrkgoo

Mario 64 owns me. I bought it to take a look to see how it is, and man, this game is blowing me away all over again with its sheer imagination.

I put Mario64 DS in for a quick look, and though I loved that game with the new graphics, and I didn't mind the controls, playing the original again really shows me just how genius it is. The wavebird is so much better than the DS, and even the classic controller. Teh graphics are gorgeous in hi-res, and the framerate is rock steady. love.

mrkgoo said:
Mario 64 owns me. I bought it to take a look to see how it is, and man, this game is blowing me away all over again with its sheer imagination.

I put Mario64 DS in for a quick look, and though I loved that game with the new graphics, and I didn't mind the controls, playing the original again really shows me just how genius it is. The wavebird is so much better than the DS, and even the classic controller. Teh graphics are gorgeous in hi-res, and the framerate is rock steady. love.

qft about the wavebird! I have a classic controller but only use it for SNES/Genesis/Turbo-16 games because of the superior d-pad.

a little off topic but man are gamecube games supposed to look like crap running on the wii? i don't have a component cable yet but resident evil looks really shitty on my tv (admittedly it is a 46" hd, but still the N64 games i have don't look so bad on the same tv). i'm almost scared to try out metroid prime :(

also, if i play a gamecube game, does it stretch the image like it does for VC titles? i couldn't tell yet since RE is always in letter box mode anyways.

Glass Joe

FrenchMovieTheme said:
a little off topic but man are gamecube games supposed to look like crap running on the wii? i don't have a component cable yet but resident evil looks really shitty on my tv (admittedly it is a 46" hd, but still the N64 games i have don't look so bad on the same tv). i'm almost scared to try out metroid prime :(

also, if i play a gamecube game, does it stretch the image like it does for VC titles? i couldn't tell yet since RE is always in letter box mode anyways.

You should probably try another game because the shittyness MAY be due to aspect ratio... your pictures possibly either getting zoomed in too much or stretched. Resident Evil 4 GC is faked widescreen, so on my HD it actually has black bars around all 4 sides even when stretched to fill on my TV. Granted, I've only used the component cables, but GC games look really pretty good on it (at least the proscan ones...)

To answer your second question, I think the answer is no, it acts exactly like a Gamecube in Gamecube mode (the Wii settings don't matter). I'm pretty sure widescreen gamecube games were all software based, meaning you had to set 'em that way in the game menus.

I played Baten Kaitos on Wii last week and it seemed fine image quality wise, and it did not stretch the picture to widescreen unlike the VC games IIRC.

Valtox

Father_Mike said:
For a second I thought you meant vigilante 8 :(

Whats new adventure island like?
It's a platformer. A SEGA's Wonderboy rip off made by Hudson.
Btw it's quite good. It was a “8 out of 10”game in his days at least for the first games of the brand.
It sold quite well I think cos they made a lot of episodes (4 or 5 episodes; Pce/Nes/GB titles).
I played the hell out of Adventure Island 2 for the GB as a boy.,

Valtox said:
It's a platformer. A SEGA's Wonderboy rip off made by Hudson.
Btw it's quite good. It was a “8 out of 10”game in his days at least for the first games of the brand.
It sold quite well I think cos they made a lot of episodes (4 or 5 episodes; Pce/Nes/GB titles).
I played the hell out of Adventure Island 2 for the GB as a boy.,

IIRC Adventure Island was created by Hudson, or at least the same staff members. Something like that. When the Wonder Boy franchise ventured off into "Monster Land" territory, Hudson made the Adventure Island series as a continuation.

Rlan

Adventure Island is not at 100% a creation from Hudson Soft. Hudson licensed the game from a company called Escape (later known as Westone) and it is even said that Escape helped Hudson developing Adventure Island. Escape was responsible for developing Wonder Boy to the arcades. Because Wonder Boy was a game that Escape had created for Sega, the latter company owned the rights to the characters and bosses, and therefore the franchise could not be used as a release for the Famicom or NES. Escape, however, owned the rights to the regular monsters and the game itself. As a result, Hudson changed the sprites, music, and some of the items from Wonder Boy, removed the continue feature and renamed it Takahashi Meijin Mo Bouken Jima (or Master Takahashi's Adventure Island). Adventure Island is considered by many as a slightly depraved version of Wonder Boy but still managed to sell more copies than its SMS counterpart due to the lack of popularity of the Sega Master System in North America and Japan.

Adventure Island 2, and all other Adventure Island sequels, were purely developed by Hudson. Escape had nothing to do with those games.

Same thing happened with Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. It's coming out as "Dragon's Curse", which was the TG-16 revision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Island_(video_game)

There were 3 initial games [Adventure Island being the only TG-16 game, while II and III were NES games], and Two Super Adventure Island games on the SNES [II being much different to the others].

I'd like to see what Hudson has in store later on for other consoles. They're having a great time doing Turbographix games, but they'll run out soon enough :)

dock

Rlan said:
Same thing happened with Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap. It's coming out as "Dragon's Curse", which was the TG-16 revision.
What? Dragon's Curse has been confirmed?!! When did that happen? I really want this game on the Virtual Console, it's one of my most wanted titles.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
now that VC is out and everyone has had a bit of time with it, do you think staggered releases was a good idea? I'm going with yes cause it obviously gives the lesser known games time to shine, I wonder if anyone that really bagged it at the start has changed their opinion though.

dock

catfish said:
now that VC is out and everyone has had a bit of time with it, do you think staggered releases was a good idea? I'm going with yes cause it obviously gives the lesser known games time to shine, I wonder if anyone that really bagged it at the start has changed their opinion though.
Absolutely. I look forward to seeing what games are released each week. I wouldn't have bought, played or completed Castlevania 4 had there been a ton of other things that month, yet Castlevania turned out to be my favourite VC experiences to date.

Yeah, staggered is working well for me. I'm buying at least one game a week & there are still games in the catalogue that I want to pick up. If the pace of releases was any faster (as per Chris Kohler's "dump 'em all on there now" rants) I may have bought as many, but I certainly wouldn't have tried out some of the games I have bought.

With limited points & an overwhelming selection, I'd guess most consumers would gravitate toward known series - certainly, if I had 2000 Points and a selection of 100 games, I wouldn't have picked up Super Star Soldier or Solomon's Key if games like Super Mario World, Ocarina of Time or Super Metroid were also available.

Keep a steady stream of games coming - 12+ a month is fine - and make sure the new games are promoted well, and I'm perfectly happy with the service.

catfish said:

I was all for it at first, but now I've changed my mind. Since the VC games will never be taken down from the Shop Channel, it's all a matter of which games will get the full four years to sell and which will get in on the last month before they close down the service. As a third party publisher, I'd be pretty pissed if my game came out as one of the last. As a gamer, I'd be frustrated if I had to wait four years for my favourite game to come out, when it could be out right now. Sure, it takes a while to get all the games rated by the ESRB, but once the system is a year old, most games should be up there.

Chemo

Zerodoppler said:
I was all for it at first, but now I've changed my mind. Since the VC games will never be taken down from the Shop Channel, it's all a matter of which games will get the full four years to sell and which will get in on the last month before they close down the service. As a third party publisher, I'd be pretty pissed if my game came out as one of the last. As a gamer, I'd be frustrated if I had to wait four years for my favourite game to come out, when it could be out right now. Sure, it takes a while to get all the games rated by the ESRB, but once the system is a year old, most games should be up there.
I don't think it's possible for ANY third party publisher to be more pissed off about coming out later on in the system's life (when the install base is at its highest) than it would be for a third party publisher to be pissed off about coming out on the same day as every Mario, every Zelda, every Sonic, every Square-Enix RPG, etc etc etc. No one would ever look at small third party games ever if everything was available.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
catfish said:

No, still very much against it.

The entire VC channel is pretty poorly organized. There's little-no information on each individual game, there's no way to search for certain games or certain genres, there's no "Spotlight Title", there's no way to limit by series. It's really a lot of unrealized potential from that end.

I think that the only advantage to staggered releases is to encourage people to buy B-level titles that they would not have bought if all the titles were available. I think that this objective can be accomplished just as well by discounting selective titles and putting them on the front page as a "Featured Title", or by offering 2-packs with discounts, or any other variety of promotional strategies.

In addition, the kind of stuff that Last.FM does with music and Amazon does with products, Nintendo should be doing with VC stuff. Why isn't it that when I check out Gunstar Heroes, it doesn't say "You'd probably also enjoy ___" or "Other games by the same developer: ___" or "Customers who bought Gunstar Heroes also bought ___"? These features cost little to implement and pay off in a big way.

The comparison between something like iTunes and VC is not entirely valid since it's much easier to buy and listen to multiple albums than play multiple games, but I still think that from a market point of view Nintendo should be approaching this like Apple. Get the widest possible breadth of content and then using promotions, discounts, and premium prices to play with the sales.

Rlan

I do like the staggered releases. The main problem right now is the choices they're making.

- Releases should be at least 3 a week, and no less. Any less is just rediculous considering the vast amount of games at their disposal.

- Far too many shooters. For what is considered a niche game style nowdays, We've already got 7, all which came out very close to each other.

- Series out of order. Zelda, then LTTP? No Zelda II?

- Not keeping it the same through Europe / America. We're way behind on some releases in Europe, like LTTP! And America hasn't got DKC yet, when we got it first day. It also appears that they're not even trying to get certain games over to Europe. A game like Super Mario RPG would be eaten over there. Sure, there are problems with languages, but surely there is a way around it.

- Australia getting the shaft. We still have yet to get any Turbographix games, The console was never released here, but that is not a good enough excuse. We can access them via country swap, but we shouldn't have to.

- Europe PAL-ness. DKC was fixed for fullscreen, as are some other SNES games. All Megadrive games have borders. This is really unacceptable. I would also make the point that ANYONE who has a Wii would actually have a TV that displays 60hz anyway. Hudson thinks so. If you're trying to use a Wii on a 32cm TV or something really old, what the hell is wrong with you?

wazoo

Rlan said:
- Europe PAL-ness. DKC was fixed for fullscreen, as are some other SNES games. All Megadrive games have borders. This is really unacceptable. I would also make the point that ANYONE who has a Wii would actually have a TV that displays 60hz anyway. Hudson thinks so. If you're trying to use a Wii on a 32cm TV or something really old, what the hell is wrong with you?

Hudson games are 60HZ ??

Apenheul

Staggered releases work well for me. I personally think that there are a lot of nice games on the VC already, some of which I've read great things about and never got to play since I never owned the system. I know people are holding out for games they expect on the Virtual Console, if Hudson brought over Super Streetracer from the SNES then I'd be a happy man. In the meantime I'll try to finish Super Castlevania IV and Super Probotector (Contra III) and I'm looking forward to the next 'surprise' on the VC.

Stumpokapow said:
there's no "Spotlight Title"

Well, there's something a little like that. When you visit the "Welcome to the Wii Shop Channel" page after it's done loading, the little boxes point to various recently-released titles. You can even click one directly and go to that game's page.

Unfortunately, those things are darn small...

I'm kind of disappointed that they're not doing anything in terms of packing in extras with the games. It might be silly/worthless, but simple things could be done, like boxart scans (which wrap around a "default" polymodel that the player can spin around and look at), trivia about the game's development or infamous secrets, and the like.

Also, I know people like that it will output the games in a "true" low resolution, but I think I might give that up if it let you access more features. Like a scratch-pad to write down passwords and notes. And I've asked this before, but couldn't the Wii handle doing a 50/60hz conversion on the fly for Euro players? It couldn't acceptably bluff the video output?

Stumpokapow said:
The entire VC channel is pretty poorly organized. There's little-no information on each individual game, there's no way to search for certain games or certain genres, there's no "Spotlight Title", there's no way to limit by series. It's really a lot of unrealized potential from that end.

Yeah, the way it's set up at the moment just isn't as slick or as informative as it should be.

Rlan said:
Releases should be at least 3 a week, and no less. Any less is just rediculous considering the vast amount of games at their disposal.

Three-to-four a week is ideal, IMO, and the only time I'd ever be happy with fewer would be if they were exceptional releases - GoldenEye and Yoshi's Island, for example.

Far too many shooters. For what is considered a niche game style nowdays, We've already got 7, all which came out very close to each other.

Mm. Much as I love them, this is a bit of overload. Dunno whether this is bad scheduling on Nintendo's part, or just a coincidence caused by lack of communication between Hudson, Konami etc. - it depends on how the VC releases are handled. Either way, not ideal.

Series out of order. Zelda, then LTTP? No Zelda II?

Nah, I don't think this is really a problem. Sure, it would be nice to see Super Mario Kart, then MK64, or Zelda, Zelda II, LttP, Ocarina of Time then Majora's Mask in that order, I don't think it's really necessary.

Not keeping it the same through Europe / America. We're way behind on some releases in Europe, like LTTP! And America hasn't got DKC yet, when we got it first day. It also appears that they're not even trying to get certain games over to Europe. A game like Super Mario RPG would be eaten over there. Sure, there are problems with languages, but surely there is a way around it.

TBH, if we're going to be forced to shop locally, I quite like the region differences. It means some regions will get games first, and while a bit annoying it does mean that a) you have something unique to your region (briefly, anyway), and b) you can get hyped up for releases when you see them appearing in other regions. Long delays aren't great, though - no idea why DKC still hasn't hit the US shop...

The issue of languages in Europe is a fairly major one, though - with something like SMRPG you're talking about Nintendo/Squenix funding a full translation, just as if this was a brand-new release, for a game that will sell for maybe 1000 points max (assuming they push the price higher because of it). I think it may come, but it will require more investment from the companies involved & I can certainly see why they would be reluctant to do it at this stage of the game.

Australia getting the shaft. We still have yet to get any Turbographix games, The console was never released here, but that is not a good enough excuse. We can access them via country swap, but we shouldn't have to.

Well, Hudson seem fairly on the ball with VC releases - being responsive to fans, incorporating 60Hz, picking out some real oddities, trying to secure rights to games etc. - so I would hope this would extend to them exploring the possibility of releasing their TG16 games in Aus as well.

Europe PAL-ness. DKC was fixed for fullscreen, as are some other SNES games. All Megadrive games have borders. This is really unacceptable.

Yup. I really don't understand the thinking here - surely it would be possible to release a game like Sonic in its fullscreen, 60Hz US appearance without any real difficulty? Are there some rights/legal obstacles here?

mosaic

go eat paint
Just a notice to anyone that hasn't played Vigilante before: Don't let the large sprites fool you, the game is garbage.

Stiff control, constantly recycled background graphics, and punches and kicks that have crap for range. It's like some company set out to make a sucky Double Dragon.

Not Hudson's fault... the game was horrible in the arcade too.

Jammy said:
From the stickied thread...

Um I think the only one of those that has a chance of coming out this week is Gain Ground.

Here's what I'm expecting:
Gain Ground (supposed to have released 2 weeks ago)
Super Mario World (up on the server since last week)
Vigilante (on a VC site linked from wii.nintendo.com. listed for 02/06/06 however)

Anyone get the feeling that Nintendo and whoever is controlling what goes up caught on to all the various methods of predicting VC releases and is putting up different (but ready) games at the last minute? Europe has been putting up that Zelda pic so they definitely know about the sneaking around on the servers.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
mosaic said:
Just a notice to anyone that hasn't played Vigilante before: Don't let the large sprites fool you, the game is garbage.

Stiff control, constantly recycled background graphics, and punches and kicks that have crap for range. It's like some company set out to make a sucky Double Dragon.

Not Hudson's fault... the game was horrible in the arcade too.
Double Dragon? Vigilante's a rip-off of Kung-Fu.

Kung_Fu_1.png
1051468939.jpg

Cyan said:
-Give us demos of the games! I'm not going to spend $5-10 based on two crappy little screenshots. Just make it reset after 10 minutes, like those old demo kiosks in stores. I've only bought three games so far, and it's largely because of this.

What about a video clip of the game, running a gameplay trailer?

Haunted

Cyan said:
-The loading is really irritating. They should really cache the whole thing when you access it.

-Give us demos of the games! I'm not going to spend $5-10 based on two crappy little screenshots. Just make it reset after 10 minutes, like those old demo kiosks in stores. I've only bought three games so far, and it's largely because of this.
Spot on. Those two are by far the biggest complaints that immediately come to mind when using the shop channel. Fix those and Nintendo'll get my monies
easier

Cosmonaut X said:
What about a video clip of the game, running a gameplay trailer?

Introducing: The Preview Channel.
Video game preview movies showing how it plays, trailers, etc. Will showcase Wii, DS, and VC games in video format, apart from the Demo Channel which has actual game demos.

mrkgoo

Haunted_One said:
Spot on. Those two are by far the biggest complaints that immediately come to mind when using the shop channel. Fix those and Nintendo'll get my monies
easier

Loading? I ahven't experienced any loading. Or not anything that annyos me anyway.

And while I agree in principle about the demo thing, I think a demo of the games would only serve in me not buying anything. I'd load them up and go , "haha, I remember this!", and then never actually buy it.

Sure, it'd save me some money, but it's not a good business strategy. I;'m having a blast with Mario64, and think it's worth the money, but I doubt I would've bought it had I played a ten minute demo, as half teh reaosn I bought it was to see what the graphics were like.

What I really want is a much more reasonable price - a nearly throwaway price - for games like NES and SNES. I'm more than happy to pay these prices for games I love, but to pay such prices for games I don't know what they're like? (yes, I know that is against my demo opinion, but if the price was cheap enough, I would just buy them). As it stands SNES games are NZ$14-15, which is a lot of money for a crap game.

Xellotah

Just brought Gain Ground and spent the last 2 hours playing it with my nephew and I would just like to say that it rocks hard.

Valtox

dock UK said:
Absolutely. I look forward to seeing what games are released each week. I wouldn't have bought, played or completed Castlevania 4 had there been a ton of other things that month, yet Castlevania turned out to be my favourite VC experiences to date.
QFT, SC IV was the first game I completed on the Wii. It was cool that I played it half on Wii and half on a friend's SNES thanks to the (for everything else horrific) password system. :)
I had the opportunity to play and finish a “non-metrovania” CV, and I have to say that I liked it more than the last installments.
Do you get new games also on Monday in the US?
In Europe we get them only on Friday.

fresquito

Valtox said:
QFT, SC IV was the first game I completed on the Wii. It was cool that I played it half on Wii and half on a friend's SNES thanks to the (for everything else horrific) password system. :)
I had the opportunity to play and finish a “non-metrovania” CV, and I have to say that I liked it more than the last installments.
Do you get new games also on Monday in the US?
In Europe we get them only on Friday.
Not also, they get them just on Mondays. For Japan I think it's Tuesdays.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
HyperZone<3 said:
Not a ripoff, a sequel.

Both were made by Irem.
Crap, you're right. I totally forgot that Kung-Fu was an Irem game. I stand corrected.

So if you like Kung-Fu, then go nuts with Vigilante. Essentially the same game with better graphics.

Top Bottom