• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official BOHICA? Black Xbox 360 W/HDMI, 120GB HD Coming Late April

Jel0man

sellseller8.png

3rdman

Meh, this doesn't mean much to me. My HDTV doesn't have an HDMI input so outside of a larger HDD (which doesn't really mean much to me), there is not difference to me. Throw in an HD-DVD version and I'll be eBaying my 360 tomorrow though.

We recieved an email too about pre-orders.

Guess I was wrong about the stickers, they're for 360, not PS3 and Wiis (used). Don't shoot me, it's all I know!

p.s. - might not be taking pre-orders on Home Premium 360...

It sounds like this is Microsoft trying to go for Sony's throat. They've positioned an "Uber-Hardcore 360" to try to steal the high-end user away from PS3. One could argue that it would probably be more effective to simply lower the price of the 360 as is, but I do believe that's what Microsoft's intentions are. If this is true, it supports the following:

1. Microsoft cares more about killing Sony than it does about becoming market leader (which gets back to why Microsoft is in the console business in the first place...)

2. Microsoft is desperate for profits. Like I said before, it can definitely be argued that lowering the price of the 360 would be an even more effective Sony finishing move than the new SKU, but Microsoft chose this route because they can finally make big profits from a division that has been devouring money since its inception.

Oh, and this is my first post here. What's up guys?

guess they figure since it'll be a relatively limited market segment that's gonna use a 120GB drive, they might as well massively profit on it. Although that sorta means if it's the same as the old premium, you're paying $80 for 100GB (if you buy the bundle). But then again, that does probably mean that there's more than likely going to be a price drop on the old premium and core system.

Anyhoo, since all this new pricing stuff is leaking out, I wonder if that means March NPD am cry for MS? But April NPD will once again rise to heaven?

Mariah Carey said:
1. Microsoft cares more about killing Sony than it does about becoming market leader (which gets back to why Microsoft is in the console business in the first place...)

Ms. Carey,

In what universe are these mutually exclusive? MS is in the industry to own your living room. Sony is in the industry to own your livign room.

CalMcRich

Can't Microsoft just make 360's that don't 'asplode instead of making a new sku? Everyone of my friends has been graced with the ring of terror and dealt with the joys of Microsoft customer service.

Dina

raYne said:
Too many people on GAF, they're running out of names to use. :lol

You probably had the nick way before the game, but yours reminds me of that crap called Bloodrayne.

Mariah Carey said:
It sounds like this is Microsoft trying to go for Sony's throat. They've positioned an "Uber-Hardcore 360" to try to steal the high-end user away from PS3. One could argue that it would probably be more effective to simply lower the price of the 360 as is, but I do believe that's what Microsoft's intentions are. If this is true, it supports the following:

2. Microsoft is desperate for profits. Like I said before, it can definitely be argued that lowering the price of the 360 would be an even more effective Sony finishing move than the new SKU, but Microsoft chose this route because they can finally make big profits from a division that has been devouring money since its inception.

Oh, and this is my first post here. What's up guys?

I happen to think "Shake You Off" is a modern classic, Ms. Carey! Never change!

GhaleonEB said:
Well, that's better than 20 GB - $100. Still pricey, but it's going in the right direction.

Sure

Or did you really expect the new HDD to be $600 (going by the old price)?;) By that logic any price under $600 dollar would be a step in the right direction. Even if it were to be $250.

aparisi2274

I got this off engadget.com:

engadget.com said:
We've confirmed with trusted sources that the black Xbox 360 is indeed coming (the image above is of the original 360 dev kit, FYI), and will be dubbed the Xbox 360 Elite. Here's what you need to know about it:

* The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand.
* The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.
* Elite will cost $479, and will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.
* Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.
* We do not yet know exactly when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.
* Elite models run cooler than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.
* Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.
* The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled -- Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.
* There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).

meltpotato said:
Ms. Carey,

In what universe are these mutually exclusive? MS is in the industry to own your living room. Sony is in the industry to own your livign room.

Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. MS would certainly like to trounce Sony and be videogame console market leader at the same time, but since Nintendo is apparently not in the "multimedia convergence sweepstakes" the more immediate goal is to beat Sony, who shares the same ambitions as them. It's OK for them if Nintendo is market leader as long as it doesn't immediately stand in the way of their future plans.

I'm actually not 100% convinced that XBox is necessarily Microsoft's planned "do-it-all" living room product-- I'm thinking that their future plans entail trying to introduce a "living room PC" that hooks up to HDTVs and that the XBox line is merely a ball-and-chain product to slow Sony down or kill them outright, but I'm digressing.

aparisi2274 said:
* Eventually Elite hardware (in white plastics) will take the role of the Xbox Premium. That is to say, after the Elite is launched and sold out, future Xbox Premiums will have 120GB / HDMI.
* We do not yet know exactly when 120GB / HDMI will become the standard for Premium, but it is loosely estimated to be late summer or fall.

VERY interesting, particularly because I wanted a WHITE "Zephyr".

one thing I just thought about...a long while ago I think there were actually hacks that enabled you to use any size hard drive on the 360. But the only problem was that the 360 was essentially hardcoded to only recognize the 20GB, so it was mostly a useless hack.

But if MS is officially releasing a 120GB hard drive, then that obviously means the system has to be upgraded to recognize it. So does that mean that old hack might actually work now?

GhaleonEB

PjotrStroganov said:
Sure

Or did you really expect the new HDD to be $600 (going by the old price)?;) By that logic any price under $600 dollar would be a step in the right direction. Even if it were to be $250.
Well, it's a BIG step in the right direction. The current HDD is $5/GB. The rumored price for the 120GB is $1.50/GB. That's a far cry from the genuine BOHICA that is the 20GB price.

Engadget said:
We've confirmed with trusted sources that the black Xbox 360 is indeed coming (the image above is of the original 360 dev kit, FYI), and will be dubbed the Xbox 360 Elite. Here's what you need to know about it:

* The Elite will be limited quantities only; that may be as much or as little as a couple hundred thousand.
* The case, controller, and Live headset will all be black. It will have all new packaging.
* Elite will cost $479, and will be a 3rd SKU; it will be sold alongside Premium and Core packs.
* Elite models run cooler than normal 360s, but they are not yet confirmed to have 65nm chips.
* Prices may remain the same with the 120GB / HDMI hardware upgrade in the Premium Xbox, but we may still see a price cut on the line when 65nm chips start shipping.
* The HD DVD drive will not be internal or bundled -- Microsoft never did or nor does not currently have plans to put an HD DVD drive in the 360.
* There are no current plans to integrate WiFi into the Elite or future Premiums (although that can always change).
That makes a little more sense. A limited run before the 65nm go into production.

The bold part is interesting though. Will the Premium keep the Elite price tag too? That can't be right. Maybe the price cut & 65nm chips will be coming on the heels of this limited run. I mean how long can it take to sell black ones out? "Late Summer/Fall" seems too long.

Maybe they'll just keep manufacturing Elites until they are ready to price drop. In that case it will end up being quite a bit more than a couple hundred thousand, don't you think?

Zep

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Well, it's a BIG step in the right direction. The current HDD is $5/GB. The rumored price for the 120GB is $1.50/GB. That's a far cry from the genuine BOHICA that is the 20GB price.

are we sure it's 120gb?

GhaleonEB

BCD2 said:
That makes a little more sense. A limited run before the 65nm go into production.

The bold part is interesting though. Will the Premium keep the Elite price tag too? That can't be right. Maybe the price cut & 65nm chips will be coming on the heels of this limited run. I mean how long can it take to sell black ones out? "Late Summer/Fall" seems too long.

Maybe they'll just keep manufacturing Elites until they are ready to price drop. In that case it will end up being quite a bit more than a couple hundred thousand, don't you think?
That's what I thought. Perhaps they don't want to make things too confusing at retail by splitting into three SKUs for the holidays, but it begs the question as to what they will do with the core and 20 GB models, and where the relative pricing fits in. The rumor of $229 Core, $299 Premium and $479 "Elite" kinda made sense, from a pricing standpoint. The split between a $229 SKU and $399 SKU would be pretty big, and odd, from a positioning perspective if they were the only two on hand for the holidays.

Big Zep said:
are we sure it's 120gb?
I'm just running with what's rumored in this thread. Nothing has yet to become "official", though the rumors are getting more consistant.

MaX_PL

Banned
the HDD pricing is stupid. i'd just buy the zephyr if i wanted a new HDD.

as for the zephyr itself, i'll wait til fall when its priced at 400 and has 65nm cpu.

and a redesigned controller would be a plus if Microsoft makes it happen.

soo this holiday we should expect new hardware, price drops, insane amount of good games, and hopefully a new controller.

Zep

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
I'm just running with what's rumored in this thread. Nothing has yet to become "official", though the rumors are getting more consistant.

true...but i also remember getting ****ed on the "20gb" model.

MaX_PL

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
That's what I thought. Perhaps they don't want to make things too confusing at retail by splitting into three SKUs for the holidays, but it begs the question as to what they will do with the core and 20 GB models, and where the relative pricing fits in. The rumor of $229 Core, $299 Premium and $379 "Elite" kinda made sense, from a pricing standpoint. The split between a $229 SKU and $399 SKU would be pretty big, and odd, from a positioning perspective if they were the only two on hand for the holidays.

omg if the elite was priced 379 i would be the happiest gamer in the world. that would be an amazing price.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Mariah Carey said:
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree. MS would certainly like to trounce Sony and be videogame console market leader at the same time, but since Nintendo is apparently not in the "multimedia convergence sweepstakes" the more immediate goal is to beat Sony, who shares the same ambitions as them. It's OK for them if Nintendo is market leader as long as it doesn't immediately stand in the way of their future plans.

I'm actually not 100% convinced that XBox is necessarily Microsoft's planned "do-it-all" living room product-- I'm thinking that their future plans entail trying to introduce a "living room PC" that hooks up to HDTVs and that the XBox line is merely a ball-and-chain product to slow Sony down or kill them outright, but I'm digressing.

:eek:

but uh yeah, I'm trading in my 360 for this new one.

FrankT

Deadly Monk said:
We recieved an email too about pre-orders.

Guess I was wrong about the stickers, they're for 360, not PS3 and Wiis (used). Don't shoot me, it's all I know!

p.s. - might not be taking pre-orders on Home Premium 360...

Question, when we talked about the stickers earlier, there was the 229 one as well. Was anything mentioned on the price drop rumor of the Core SKU or anything for the premium as of yet. Also, you say might not be taking pre-orders on Home Premium 360, what do you mean exactly. I'm assuming we will not be able to pre-order until they are officially announced, yes?

FrankT

aparisi2274 said:

Well at least give us WI-FI in the box at this price MS.

With this being limited edition at first, they're going to sale out for certain I would imagine. Got to get my upgrade. The Manager at my local EB games predicted getting maybe 10.

GhaleonEB said:
That's what I thought. Perhaps they don't want to make things too confusing at retail by splitting into three SKUs for the holidays, but it begs the question as to what they will do with the core and 20 GB models, and where the relative pricing fits in. The rumor of $229 Core, $299 Premium and $479 "Elite" kinda made sense, from a pricing standpoint. The split between a $229 SKU and $399 SKU would be pretty big, and odd, from a positioning perspective if they were the only two on hand for the holidays.

Yeah, I don't know. It's starting to sound like there won't be a price drop (at least for the premium). The "Fall Premium" will be a white Elite (120 gig, HDMI) with 65nm chip, priced at $400. I think if there is a price drop, maybe it will only be to $379, or thereabouts.

With some monster games slated for this Fall, maybe they will take advantage of it and keep the pricing the same. It would make sense.

aparisi2274

Aside from some minor upgrades and costing more money, I really dont see the need to upgrade the system... Right now HDMI is the only plus for me... The system still doesnt have wifi, it still does not have an HD drive in it. I am sure the 120gb HDD will be sold seperately at some point, and why though, does anyone here think they will use more than 60gb worth of space?

I am going to pass on it, and just wait for the true upgrade with the HD drive and bells and whistles we have come to expect....

LAMBO

If they can make enough sku's then there will me no room on store shelves for wii and ps3, ms wins!!

I don't it's great news for me. I was hoping the $400 core would be improved reliability wise and get a price cut. Instead it'll be gone. I won't buy a 360 at $400, so i'm not buying one for $480. So it means it'll be even longer before i get a 360.

I want the console and HD for $300, i won't pay more, especially when i have to factor possible online costs. Buying one without a HD is useless, i'd miss the demos, the best part of live, and i don't even have to get live gold for demos(right?).

I guess you can't play demos online without gold right?

neptunes

So i'm guessing this will be limited like the Crystal/Panzer Dragoon Orta xbox of last gen?

I'd wait until they make the premium transition then.

I was just wondering, how many of you are actually going to sell your 360 for this?

I sure as hell am not. I have no problems with my 360, and I will gladly pick up a 120GB HDD when it is available at retail if it is priced fairly. HDMI would be great to have, but I just don't see the need for me to sell my Xbox 360 just to pay for a slightly better one.

FrankT

aparisi2274 said:
Aside from some minor upgrades and costing more money, I really dont see the need to upgrade the system... Right now HDMI is the only plus for me... The system still doesnt have wifi, it still does not have an HD drive in it. I am sure the 120gb HDD will be sold seperately at some point, and why though, does anyone here think they will use more than 60gb worth of space?

I am going to pass on it, and just wait for the true upgrade with the HD drive and bells and whistles we have come to expect....

I believe all along they have said they would never integrate HD within it. This move just solidifies such imho. It says no integrated WI-FI, but man at this price, MS should at least put WI-FI in the box as an add-on, seriously close to Sony land if they don't add some goodies in the box to sweeten the deal.

snack said:
I was just wondering, how many of you are actually going to sell your 360 for this?

I sure as hell am not. I have no problems with my 360, and I will gladly pick up a 120GB HDD when it is available at retail if it is priced fairly. HDMI would be great to have, but I just don't see the need for me to sell my Xbox 360 just to pay for a slightly better one.

Yeah, I'll just be buying the 120g.

neptunes

Jtyettis said:
I believe all along they have said they would never integrate HD within it. This move just solidifies such imho. It says no integrated WI-FI, but man at this price, MS should at least put WI-FI in the box as an add-on, seriously close to Sony land if they don't add some goodies in the box to sweeten the deal.
If they don't include Wi-Fi, AT LEAST cut the price on the wireless adapter.

That thing is just straight up robbery, the markup on those must be through the roof.

FrankT

snack said:

I'm probably going to upgrade but I want to know exactley what is going to be in the box. Down to the papers. Anyhow I guess I could get the 180 120gig HDD, but I want the whole package. I've already started building my in-store credit at eb games, once I sale everything I shouldn't have to fork over too much.

icecream

Public Health Threat
HDMI is nice, but not the black... I'll probably sit back until they finish the hardware transition to the normal 360s + 65nm.

If people are thinking of selling your current 360, and picking up one of these, I'd highly suggest waiting 6 months and picking up a 65nm jobber for at least $80 cheaper. The black Elite is a lame duck. The time line is already spelled out.

Top Bottom