• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Burnout 3 Thread - Sparks Let Me Touch You!

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
damn I just don't see how you can hit that black button. I have to seriously stretch my thumb in order to hit it during a race.

Anyway, the graphics are pretty damn good. Standing still they aren't the best, however when you get up to speeds of 170+ it is quite awesome to see bright lights and colors whip by insanly fast. Also take note of the crash graphics (as I would also lump though in with commen graphics). Burnout 3 with crashs are like Wave Race with water. They are just that damn cool.

Play it a bit more and you will really start to appreciate the game more and more. The tracks only get better as you get into Europe (Frozen Peak Northbound being my favorite) and Far East (The Dock level is also fantastic).

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
First of all, it's the white button that changes the song as I race. It happend a ton of times just now...

I've opened up some more levels and they've gotten prettier and prettier.

Secondly...

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I CHANGE THE CONTROLS?!?!?

Tellaerin

DaCocoBrova said:
First of all, it's the white button that changes the song as I race. It happend a ton of times just now...

I've opened up some more levels and they've gotten prettier and prettier.

Secondly...

WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I CHANGE THE CONTROLS?!?!?

I'm playing now, and it really is the black button that changes songs. I just did it. Pressing white doesn't do a thing. I shit you not, man. I'm using a Controller S, but I can't imagine that making a difference.

Glad you seem to be liking the game otherwise. :)

DaCocoBrova

I still have some issues. As gorgeous is the game is, I'd prefer more than just two camera views, I hate that about the Gran Turismo series as well. I thought I'd get a hood view or a 3rd person view a lil' closer to the car...

And where are the jumps? I want to be able to launch off stuff.

Answer my question about the controls.

DaCocoBrova

I guess GoTY = Graphics of the year

Game of the Year this is not.

I really have a problem w/ any game not allowing for controls to be changed. There are no controller options other than vibration on/off.

How pathetic.

Grubdog

Banned
What do you expect? The game needs the analog face/trigger buttons.
DS1 has those... i'm not talking about the original PS1 controller.

This doesn't work with Burnout 3:
20612.jpg

But this does:
p2_dualshock2.jpg

What's the difference?

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
As I hold my official controller S in my hand I am still having a hard time trying to figure out how you can hit that black button by accident (and it IS the black button to change songs, it even states that in the manual). The only thing I can guess is that you push all parts of your thumb down when you press the A button to boost. If that is the case, then you should be having problems in other games as well....

As for the jumps, take a run through 20 or 30 of the levels of crash mode. There are lots of jumps that will throw you into the middle of a massive pile up.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Grubdog said:
DS1 has those... i'm not talking about the original PS1 controller.

This doesn't work with Burnout 3:
dual-pad.jpg

But this does:
p2_dualshock2.jpg

What's the difference?

The PlayStation 2 controller has pressure sensitive buttons on everything except the Start, Select, L3, and R3 buttons. Meaning for gas you could press the X button down half way for half gas. There are a couple other games that don't work with that old controller because of that very fact. I think Metal Gear Solid 2 was another one. Anyway, that is the reason why.

DaCocoBrova

Maybe you have girlie hands. I have large hands. I'm a big dude. No matter what, I hit the damn button on accident unless I hold my thumb in an arched position, which is crazy uncomfortable.

This sucks. Just let me change the buttons!! Give me the option to use the face buttons for gas/brake. How hard is that?!

I like the game and all that, but wtf is wrong w/ devs that give us next to no options? I wasn't tolerant of Def Jam: Vendetta doing that, and I'm won't be with BO3. I got the XBOX version of this for free, so I'm not trippin', but I will be getting this for the PS2 instead.

I may just use a PS2 converter and forego the analog gas/brakes. Doubt it'll make much of a difference anyway. I find my drifting causes me to oversteer anyway.

DaCocoBrova

That's funny, I told your Mom the same thing last night.

(and it IS the black button to change songs, it even states that in the manual)

Well then, that's what I'm hitting.

And please, name one racing game that gives you zero control options. Please.

cja

How the frell can you touch the next track button accidentally on the S-controller?!?!
Unpossible!

Just completed single player. 31 Hours 14 Mins (all golds in Crash and Race, 99% with 9 sigs, 3 trophies and two cars still to get). Not too bad for a Burnout n00b?

Crash mode gets a bit laborious. Usually just a matter of getting a decent crash, making sure you can aftertouch into the 4x and avoid the heartbreaker for the gold. Only half-a-dozen out of the 100 challenges caused me any real trouble. About half were completed first go and the rest in a handful of attempts. I immediately went back after a few challenges despite getting golds since I thought I'd fluffed the crash just to up my $ count.

Real adrenaline rush while racing, the handling is a great blend of sublime and frisky. The crashes you don't anticipate are mesmerising. The preview lap challenges make the races that come afterwards a bit of a doddle. AI cheating is easily cheated when versus a single other car, the mode was a bit of a waste. However, thought the AI "logic" worked well otherwise especially near the end of the game where a single crash isn't make or break if you keep up a very good pace but the sense or urgency and close racing is still maintained.

Don't think the eliminator mode was taken advantage of enough, perhaps one more race near the end would have been nice. The difficulty is only really ratcheted up, other than for the races against the clock, for the Grand Prix GP, the penultimate series. The final GP with the Euro car is helluva fun but easier. Overall the race mode seemed more of a takedown and avoid the oncoming traffic game than a true racer.

My favourite arcade automobile game since Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge a long, long, time ago... and I've yet to get my teeth into the online mode. A bit too much fat on the bone around the ever so juicy meat though. 9/10.

Ramirez said:
Whats the big deal with using the triggers for gas/brake?

When I played the XBox version after playing the PS2 version, it's a big difference. I just found it easier to accelerate with the right analog stick and do drifts than to hold down gas and brake at the same time in order to do a drift. I'm surprised that the right analog stick on the XBox version didn't serve as accelerate/brake. I had trouble adjusting to the one track where it was all dirt roads and drifting abound...

Since I've been used to this setup since Gran Turismo, I'm not willing to change.

EDIT: Can't skip tutorials.

DaCocoBrova said:
Is it just me, or is there no way to skip the tutorials?

Try playing the World Circuit for more then 5 minutes. ;p

I only ever saw the tutorials once.

And I have to agree that crash mode gets dull fast. I had so much more fun with Burnout 2's crash mode. Harder and more satisfying. Racing rocks!

Is it possible to race the wrong way while playing online? In BO2 when you went the wrong way, a red invincible wall came up and prevented you going the opposite way.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Red Dolphin said:
And I have to agree that crash mode gets dull fast. I had so much more fun with Burnout 2's crash mode. Harder and more satisfying. Racing rocks!
It does get dull. Straight for the 4x every time and its basically an automatic gold. I miss the 72 million type of scores that you could get in Burnout 2. If they took out the multipliers and used the number of crashed cars as the multipliers things would be a lot more fun and allow for much greater creativity.

The crashes are still unrealistic. If I rear end someone I dont care how fast you're going. the car's not gonna go straight up in the air flipping head over tail.

Mike Works said:
Kirby's Air Ride.

Actually KAR gives you control options... most notably in the top down mode where you can choose to control your craft by either pointing in the direction you wish to go, or by rotating the craft left and right.

jedimike

Got this game by accident yesterday (see my EB rant). I was going to leave it wrapped and trade-it in later... but I'm like a little kid when it comes to these things. I opened it like an hour after I got home. Holy crap is it fun!

Time too unsticky this though... I mean you got a Fable thread and Pikmin2 thread with over twice the amount of traffic.

DaCocoBrova

Actually...

I play w/ no music because they never bothered to include EA Trax changes into game saves. You have to go into the audio options each time you turn on the game, which I almost always forget to do until I'm in a race, and they don't let you change it there. You have to come all the way out to the top of the front end and go to audio options there.

Stupid.

Doom_Bringer said:
Is it possible to race the wrong way while playing online? In BO2 when you went the wrong way, a red invincible wall came up and prevented you going the opposite way.

Red wall still comes up....prevents people from driving backward in road rage trying to nail other drivers.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
jedimike said:
Time too unsticky this though... I mean you got a Fable thread and Pikmin2 thread with over twice the amount of traffic.

But this game is twice as good as those games. I think it should stay :)

weehomer

I'm loving this game.

Still, I'm probably in the minority as I don't think the multiplayer crash isn't as good as Burnout 2 (offline).

I also wish there was a damage meter for the Takedown courses. Still, it's probably GOTY for me.

Gamedude

I also enjoy playing this game but I didn't had the chance today to play online because of those crappy EA servers, god I hope they are going to upgade their servers as soon as possible.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Fifty said:
PS2 version right? Unless you only own a PS2, Xbox is the way to go.
I agree wholeheartedly....EA Trax is shit, especially in this game - some of the worst licensed music selections in the history of gaming. And whoever the genius was who decided that Xbox owners shouldn't be able to save their soundtrack settings permanently should be taken out back and beaten with a nail-studded baseball bat.

Top Bottom