• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Burnout 3 Thread - Sparks Let Me Touch You!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Gibbo said:
What I did was to try to take him down early in the race, so my boost meter is full. Once hes taken out, race without boost so long as he's behind. The moment he overtakes you, use the boost to try to take him out. Repeat until you are close the the finish line..then just boost all the way.

Yup, same thing I did just now, race safely once you are in front(on your own side of the highway) and have boost meter, when he gets near you glance back a few times to see where he is(when you can), and be ready to take him down again. Took me 4 tries to get him...geez.

Sysgen

DarienA said:
Wait... you mean you're surprised there's rubberband AI in this game? More than few reviews have mentioned it's still there.

I think they did a fantastic job with the AI. There were times I've been ahead by 10 seconds and basically stayed there. Other times I've been behind by a lot and found it difficult to catch up. The AI definitely has a weakness however and I've found that to be
severly limit your boost while in 1st place becuase the AI will stay with you no matter what you do. If you save your boost you can drive safer, less risk. There have been times where I just cruised through traffic while in 1st. If they catch up, so what, you can pretty much take em out every time or keep boosting in spurts to stay ahead. I've come to realize that most of the time I should not be taking any uneccesary risks unless pressed to do so.

Edit: heh, so much for the spoiler tag, no one else is using it. :)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
xsarien said:
You know what's a complete pain in the ass? The downtown track that you have to clear in 1:03:00 to get a gold medal. I swear to God, it's the only bronze I have and I can't get anything higher. The car you have to use is too fast to really clear all of those track pillars.

Just wait til you get the the reverse preview track at the bottom of that section. Faster car, and a 0:55:000 time limit. You cannot crash at all or you lose gold.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's interesting that Criterion chose to alter game settings depending on race type this time around. Collision detection is increased in Crash mode so even a glancing blow against a roadside barrier triggers a crash. The traditional methods of gaining boost from earlier Burnouts - such as near misses, drift and oncoming traffic - are devalued in race modes with rivals in favor of takedowns. Meanwhile, preview lap/burning lap/time attack race modes restore the original methods of gaining boost to something more like their previous level of value, though only because there are no rivals in these race modes.

As for rubberband AI, I never thought it was particularly apparent in the first two games and I certainly don't think you can complain about it by the time you get to around the 40% mark in this game. At about 50%, the game is punishing me piteously for any mistake I make and not giving any sort of ground just to give me the false sense of comfort that I'm still in the race. Which I like, and is reminiscent of the original Burnout, while the first 30-40% of the game gives you the accessibility of the second game.

If I were to complain about anything, it'd be about there being too little scenery to go around for all the different events on offer and likewise too little distinction between cars in any given series for the number you eventually unlock. I'm disappointed, for example, that the "Dominator" version of each car series uses exactly the same paint job. Also, the the much more information rich presentation and UI of this outing seem to be the source of additional, unelegant loading interruptions that somewhat hamper it for consideration as a quick, pick up and play title. Esp. noticeable for the Crash mode where the length of an individual session is very short, compared to any other race mode.

Prine said:
Dont want my email and home being sent junk from EA
Have you or anyone else you know ever had (junk) mail sent to your house by a videogame company? Hell, I've never had any email sent either, so I really can't understand the paranoia.

BuddyC

Mike Works said:
Have you or anyone else you know ever had (junk) mail sent to your house by a videogame company? Hell, I've never had any email sent either, so I really can't understand the paranoia.
I've been receiving flyers and such from Nintendo for the past few years now.

Yup, i get nintendo junkmail sent to my house too. They just sent an offer to my house to buy pokemon leafgreen with headphones and nintendo power. I also get e-mails from them frequently about new games. I don't really mind though; videogame junk mail is preferable to penis enhancement junk mail. :D

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
kaching said:
As for rubberband AI, I never thought it was particularly apparent in the first two games and I certainly don't think you can complain about it by the time you get to around the 40% mark in this game. At about 50%, the game is punishing me piteously for any mistake I make and not giving any sort of ground just to give me the false sense of comfort that I'm still in the race. Which I like, and is reminiscent of the original Burnout, while the first 30-40% of the game gives you the accessibility of the second game.

In Burnout 2, I could burn out almost the entire 3 laps in a race, but if I crashed at the end I would lose. Other times, I wouldn't burnout at all and then boost at the end and win, yet I had a much slower time that the race where I burned out like crazy.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
DarienA said:
Wait... you mean you're surprised there's rubberband AI in this game? More than few reviews have mentioned it's still there.
I'm not surprised at all. You said, "How so?" to the AI is lacking question. Rubberband AI, in my opinion, is lacking AI.

You know what's a complete pain in the ass? The downtown track that you have to clear in 1:03:00 to get a gold medal. I swear to God, it's the only bronze I have and I can't get anything higher. The car you have to use is too fast to really clear all of those track pillars.
I finished at 1:00:x by Burning out the entire time only stopping once to swerve around a pillar. I'm now fighting the F1 Racer Special Event, which is quite difficult.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lathentar said:
In Burnout 2, I could burn out almost the entire 3 laps in a race, but if I crashed at the end I would lose. Other times, I wouldn't burnout at all and then boost at the end and win, yet I had a much slower time that the race where I burned out like crazy.
Yep, I encountered scenarios like those too during my Burnout 1 & 2 play. But I never encountered them consistently which is why I said the rubberband AI wasn't particularly apparent. I've always thought that Criterion did a decent job in simulating AI drivers that weren't completely infallible. Sometimes they have good races and sometimes they don't.

BuddyChrist83 said:
I've been receiving flyers and such from Nintendo for the past few years now.
Yes, but that has nothing to do with giving out your account information over something like XBL or whatever Sony has set up online (obviously).

Joeholley

NEGCON? What a stretch, I think the bigger question is how many people actually OWN a NEGCON AND continue to use it. I'm sure Criterion/EA don't care about 3 lost sales.

Oh, I'm sure they don't care about the lost sales too. On the other hand, out of the six people I know who own a PS2 and play racing games, only one of us doesn't own a NegCON (he has the Logitec wheel). Two of us have 2 of them for multiplayer games. If you've never used one, I would urge you to try it. I have yet to meet anyone who used it for a few minutes and didn't fall in love. They are hard to find stateside, but are still easy to find in Japan. In fact, I've had several people ask me to buy one for them while in Japan after using one of mine.

I'll accept that it's a stretch that many people own one (in part due to their limited release in the US). However, I'm willing to bet that a very large percent of those of us who do own them still use them every chance we can get. Hell, myself and two other people like them so much that we're not going to buy this game.

Besides, the part that really pisses me off is just that it's nearly effortless to support it - you just remap the buttons and set the center axis to be your analog steering. Again I'll say that this is the only PSX/PS2 racing game out of the probably 12 to 15 I've played that didn't support it; many of which were by small development houses and/or had very low budgets.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i've got to gt one of these things! i have he jogcon though but no neGcon. i've always wanted one for the ridge racer games.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Hold on a second....Burnout 3 works with the NeGcon???

manngc

I have found what has to be the PERFECT song for this game. "Mona Lisa" from the Matrix Reloaded soundtrack fits so damn well it's amazing. Put's an entirely new spin on the game. You guys have to try it out!

Mann

kaching said:
It's interesting that Criterion chose to alter game settings depending on race type this time around. Collision detection is increased in Crash mode so even a glancing blow against a roadside barrier triggers a crash. The traditional methods of gaining boost from earlier Burnouts - such as near misses, drift and oncoming traffic - are devalued in race modes with rivals in favor of takedowns. Meanwhile, preview lap/burning lap/time attack race modes restore the original methods of gaining boost to something more like their previous level of value, though only because there are no rivals in these race modes.

If I were to complain about anything, it'd be about there being too little scenery to go around for all the different events on offer and likewise too little distinction between cars in any given series for the number you eventually unlock. I'm disappointed, for example, that the "Dominator" version of each car series uses exactly the same paint job. Also, the the much more information rich presentation and UI of this outing seem to be the source of additional, unelegant loading interruptions that somewhat hamper it for consideration as a quick, pick up and play title. Esp. noticeable for the Crash mode where the length of an individual session is very short, compared to any other race mode.

All interesting points.

With the collision detection I am pleased they increased it in the crash mode but its actually way too sensitive now really. The slightest touch of anything will send you into a crash. It's not too bad though and I can deal with it. It's certainly better then Burnout 2's collision detection in crash mode. There was one particular crash mode in B2 where you had to catch up to the traffic and to the car at the front of the pack and slam into it using a huge drift. Quite often you wouldn't even crash and simply bounce/scrape off it.
Plus in normal races and crash mode in B2 there'd be times where you'd run straight up the back of a car (NOT oncoming traffic) and you'd come to a complete stop but wouldn't crash which was VERY annoying. I haven't encountered this at all in B3 as yet.

I have to say I'm disapointed that theres so screaching/scraping noice when you hit walls and barriers. There's all those beautiful sparks but you don't feel like it's effecting your speed that much and therefore don't worry about hitting walls so much. In B1 if you would rarely hit walls and when you did you knew about it as you'd likely crash or slow down dramatically. I guess with B2 and B3 being much faster games they are a lot more lenient on you bumping into walls and don't penalise you as much.

I really like the first game still. I'd love to see a remake of sorts (maybe next gen) which the technology of Burnout 3. It's such a wonderful game with really nice twisting courses with heaps of traffic.

Oh and one thing I'm pleased to see is less boost in this game. As in it's quite possible to run out! In B2 it was near impossible and your boost meter filled so fast it was ridiculous. I like the balance of the boost meter much more in this game. You can actually run out of boost while driving continuously in oncoming traffic.

Joeholley

Hold on a second....Burnout 3 works with the NeGcon???

No, it doesn't. Thus my argument. :)

i've got to gt one of these things! i have he jogcon though but no neGcon. i've always wanted one for the ridge racer games.
I got a JogCON as soon as it came out; being that it was also by NAMCO (they made the NegCON too), I had very high hopes. In the end, it's just too hard to steer with it the way it's shaped. My friends and I all came to the conclusion that they should have just made a NegCON 2.0 with force feedback. o_O

Prine

Banned
Anyone else dissapointed with unlocking cars? They seems to be either the same or worse than the default selection of cars.

DarienA

xsarien said:
The different weights count for a lot.

Yes they do... most of the time I'll sacrifice that 1 additional speed bar to instead get that 1 additional weight bar... except during face off's.... I can't bang other's around really well with the light cars it seems like to me.

Ramirez

Im pretty sure heavy cars DO have less control...maybe not less control,but less room for error.It just seems that I can drift and shit alot better with light cars,I dunno though.

Superbone

Ramirez said:
Im pretty sure heavy cars DO have less control...maybe not less control,but less room for error.It just seems that I can drift and shit alot better with light cars,I dunno though.

I haven't figured out how to shit in the game yet. What button is that? Does it give you a speed boost? :p

Joe

after playing for a few hours this game is certified ownage. it fuckin rocks.

ea has the road rash license, criterion is friendly with ea...WHATS THE HOLDUP?????

axxxj

Animator in Waiting
This game rocks so hard, their is a great feeling of elation when you manage to do a whole lap boosting and not crash it's such a rush.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Had it one night, jumped on to live real quick to be both reamed by EA's shitty service "This account is temporarily locked" and by opposition who had time with the game. Online was good though, I'll try at it some more tonight. LOVED the offline.

Prine

Banned
Still getting kicked from games i host!!!

Anyway, some good news, looks like EA (cocksuckers) are sorting things out

On Tuesday, September 14, beginning at 1:00 AM PDT, the EA and Pogo.Com sites, PS2 and Xbox-Live games will experience a scheduled interruption of service for a software upgrade. Duration is expected to be 45 minutes for PS2 and Xbox games, and 50 minutes for Pogo.com.

Customers will be unable to login to the PS2 games, Xbox Live games, and EA websites or message boards during the full duration of this downtime.

Burnout (Xbox) will be down an additional 15 minutes while they undergo a lobbyserver deployment.

http://www.eagames.com/official/burnout/burnout3/us/online/editorial.jsp?src=editorial_02

challenge everything!

I'm really enjoying all the variations of racing but I'm suprised I'm not enjoying the crash mode anywhere near as much as Burnout 2's crash mode. It seems like theres more strategy then B2 but it's really only about getting the x4 bonus in most cases. I don't feel like I have as much "say" in the way the cars and other vehicles crash. It seems much more random. The crashbraker is extremely cool though :)

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
DopeyFish said:
it took you that long? i got all my headlines at 20% :p

It depends on how you are playing the game. When I was at around 40%, I hadn't even touched the far east yet.

Sysgen

Red Dolphin said:
I'm really enjoying all the variations of racing but I'm suprised I'm not enjoying the crash mode anywhere near as much as Burnout 2's crash mode. It seems like theres more strategy then B2 but it's really only about getting the x4 bonus in most cases. I don't feel like I have as much "say" in the way the cars and other vehicles crash. It seems much more random. The crashbraker is extremely cool though :)

Single player I agree but play on live and it's a different ball game. Crash mode becomes more strategic and more fun when you're playing with a good group of people..

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Picked up the game Friday. Played Crash Party online Friday night, played the Crash Junction world tour all day Saturday & a bit yesterday. Finished up with all golds in Crash Junction, a little more Crash Party last night. I finally tried the first race course and the first road rage course.

Having a ball, neglecting my chores, and my wife's champing at the bit to play FFXI :D

Man I love this game -- the fun by far outweighs the multiplayer bugginess.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Red Dolphin said:
I miss the multiplier, there is no chance of a 70+ million crash anymore. I've only cracked 2 million a couple times now :(

atomsk

Party Pooper
put it another hour and a half this morning. things are running much much smoother after the fix. i didnt get dropped from a single game, and the load times for the ea stuff went much faster.

Mike

I picked this game up yesterday and I'm loving it like a six-piece order of chicken mcnuggets. It may be my favorite game of the year so far. (Doom III is a close second)

Should I go back and pick up 1 and 2, or am I already spoiled by the third one?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Mike, I'd say Burnout 3 establishes a good balance between most of the best game design choices in 1 & 2. Of the two earlier games I'd say that B2 is the one rendered most obsolete by B3. B1 still stands apart as a game that required more precision driving and so still stands apart as a unique challenge. See Red Dolphin's comments towards the top of this page - he makes some insightful comments about the differences between the games as well.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Good news for Xbox Live owners:

Evil Avatar said:
Burnout 3 on EA Live servers has been a pretty bad experience. According to Eurogamer EA is busy trying to solve the problems by upgrading the servers.

"Tales of being booted off the service, Friends lists not appearing, being unable to log in at all, or onto particular lobbies, the game crashing as it tries to locate other players, and all manner of other quirks have led to something of a backlash against the game's online functionality, and publisher EA in particular, on many forums."

Good.. because I also had a lot of problems. Damn EA.. just let MS handle the Live servers. After all their complaining about Live it is kinda ironic they cannot give Live users a good service.

Ramirez

LoL,I love how some of you act like this is EA's fault,all online games have problems within the first couple days of release.I'm quite positive EA will have everything working fine (if it already isn't) by the end of the week.

DarienA

Damn EA.. just let MS handle the Live servers. After all their complaining about Live it is kinda ironic they cannot give Live users a good service.

And hey except for the fact that EA never complained about Live service in terms of providing good service that sentence is true!

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I have a few complaints here and there regarding EA's Live service but none of it are a result of poor performance. All my complaints are just asthetic and design choices over how to handle online games with Burnout 3, that's all. I think they've done a pretty good job so far (of course I haven't had any problems) so it's nice to see them react to customer complaints in a timely manner and put in an effort to solve those issues.

Top Bottom